Thread: Guess where?

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Guess where?

I'll make the next one harder then

Your turn.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Thank you, Muizer. Here is the next one, almost certainly not too hard.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; October 24, 2022 at 05:09 PM.

The hebrew on the clock face looks pretty distinct. My guess would be that this is the Jewish town hall in Prague
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Realm's got it, your turn!

(Don't forget to check up on your catchphrase round.)

This should be a very easy one if you truly know your botany and geography....

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Dammit, Sept, how dare you post nearly my backyard without giving me a chance to participate? Okay, I'll make it up now.

This looks remarkably like a Dragon Blood tree (Dracaena cinnabari) of the Socotra island in the Indian ocean, belonging to Yemen.

Well done Sar1n! The Dragon Blood Tree is named after the red sap that it produces which is used as a stimulant and and abortifacient. The Socotra also had a place in Greek Mythology as the supposed Island of the Dioscuri.

Your turn!
    - Sun Tzu

You've inspired me a bit, so something from the same vein, although also quite easy:

Time for first hint, the strange plants are from Asteraceae family.

They look a lot like espeletia, but all espeletia I can find are single-stalk ones. I cannot find ones that fork like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    They look a lot like espeletia, but all espeletia I can find are single-stalk ones. I cannot find ones that fork like that.
    Not Espeletia. Wrong continent.

I got it now. Those alien-looking trees are giant groundsels, or dendrosenecio by their biological name. I tried but cannot seem to pinpoint their location but they are most likely somewhere on the western side of Kilimanjaro, quite high up in the ascend towards the summit.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    I got it now. Those alien-looking trees are giant groundsels, or dendrosenecio by their biological name. I tried but cannot seem to pinpoint their location but they are most likely somewhere on the western side of Kilimanjaro, quite high up in the ascend towards the summit.
    Ïndeed, Mount Kilimanjaro was the answer I was waiting for.

Thank you, Sar1n. Highly interesting plantlife and scenery. And now something completely different.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Mariehamn, capital of the Åland islands.

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Mariehamn, capital of the Åland islands.
    Right you are, Loli! An archipelago that wants to be Sweden but was made a Finnish protectorate by the League of Nations, the precursor to the United Nations. The group of islands enjoys a high level of self governance with Finnish nationals not native to the islands enjoying very few rights there, including no right to own land.

Good job, Loli! Your turn.

This must be Alcázar de Segovia in Castilla y León autonomous community in Spain, a much more impressive a castle than it looks in this photo. Loli found a really nice angle of the photo that makes it less obvious.

Segovia it is, the town has quite some historic landmarks and is firmly on my list of places to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Segovia it is, the town has quite some historic landmarks and is firmly on my list of places to visit.
    True to my style, I am posting a boring, far away place with no castles but some local significance.