Thread: Guess where?

Default Re: Guess where?

I'll make an effort. On my account, no more hints needed at this time.

Looks a lot like Reichsburg Cochem, but I am having doubts.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Looks a lot like Reichsburg Cochem, but I am having doubts.
    You're not a million miles off. Less than a hundred actually, which is pretty close all things considered.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

I don't have the mental energy right now to hunt through places on GoogleEarth, but for others who might not have noticed, the castle has both Belgian and Dutch flags flying out front for sure, and weirdly, the third flag looks like it might be U.S. (but take that with a grain of salt, as I am less sure about that one). So I am thinking this must be on the Belgian/Dutch border somewhere, and with Muizer's above clue, that narrows it to the little finger of the Netherlands that sticks south. Maybe someone else can take those points and make something happen
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    I don't have the mental energy right now to hunt through places on GoogleEarth, but for others who might not have noticed, the castle has both Belgian and Dutch flags flying out front for sure, and weirdly, the third flag looks like it might be U.S. (but take that with a grain of salt, as I am less sure about that one). So I am thinking this must be on the Belgian/Dutch border somewhere, and with Muizer's above clue, that narrows it to the little finger of the Netherlands that sticks south. Maybe someone else can take those points and make something happen
    As someone from that little finger of the Netherlands that sticks south I can quite confidently say that there is nothing of this kind in the Netherlands. Also, this picture just screams "small historic German town". If no one takes it I guess I'll answer tonight.

Patrician Artifex

It's in Germany, not in the Netherlands, but there is a Dutch (or rather Orange) connection.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Well, no takers so I'll go. It's Dillenburg, ancestral seat of the House of Orange-Nassau, perhaps better known as the Dutch royal family.

Patrician Artifex

That is correct! Over to you.

Over to me it is then:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I have been trying to solve this mainly by the stairs and the funicular, but so far no luck.

Oh, now I got it. These are Potemkin Stairs in Odessa, Ukraine. Renamed such because a famous scene from the movie Battlehip Potemkin was filmed in them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potemkin_Stairs

Correct, over to you Sept.

Damn. I forgot to mention that this is again one of those extreme locations.

Patrician Artifex

Church of St Nicholas on Nova Zembla.

Interestingly, a search for Northernmost Russian Orthodox Church does not return an image of this church, though it does return an article that references it.

What is returned is an image of a Russian Orthodox Church on Barentsburg, Svalbard!
    Last edited by Muizer; March 01, 2023 at 09:20 AM.

Very good! This is indeed the settlement of Belushya Guba on Nova Zemlya. Your turn!

Patrician Artifex

Tnx. No wooden church this time. Some wood though ...

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

From the colour of the dunes I'd guess the Namib desert. I thought it was a salt pan at first, but looks like it might be the Deadvlei white clay pan, with dried-out camel thorns. Otherwise Sossusvlei, in the same desert.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Søren View Post
    From the colour of the dunes I'd guess the Namib desert. I thought it was a salt pan at first, but looks like it might be the Deadvlei white clay pan, with dried-out camel thorns. Otherwise Sossusvlei, in the same desert.
    Deadvlei is correct! Those trees apparently died 900 years ago when the valley got cut off from its water supply. Too dry for the wood to decompose.

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council