Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: next campaign!?!

thats why i like the persians so much, at the start you begin far to the east and true to history your basically a steppe people using horse archers. i use the horse archers to sweep through syria and egypt again as was true to the real events, then once i have forged my empire i proceed to use inf. like the immortals to conquer asia minor.

i had done all of the above with the goal to conquer the east then invade Greece and then europe. i was all excited about the prospect of creating my empire and expanding it past the east but then a new version came out and i had to start all over again!

thinking about going back and starting a new parthian campaign, some good times to be had with them and you can change your style of warfare to fit the terrain.

Yeah, Parthians are very versatile and dominate the desert if used right.

-Revan

But, sieges with walls are a completely different kettle of fish.

"Sure there have been injuries and deaths in boxing - but none of them serious" - Alan Minter
    "When a man steals your wife there is no better revenge than to let him keep her." - Sacha Guitry.
    "If one synchronised swimmer drowns, do all the rest have to drown too?" - Steven Wright.

Bleh, build a sapper/seige towers. Seiges really aren't that hard, just I hate fighting them.

-Revan

i hate fighting seiges too! dunno why, present the most challenge but its frustrating how slow it can be and tedious to say the least!

oh yes! i finally did it! i finally chose a faction to play which was the whole point of this thread!!!

i chose armenia coz i have never played as them before and think they would be a challenge!

Dont know how you cannot like sieges! I love them, infact in all my campaigns 99% of it is sieges. I hate open field battles lol. Just like the sieges that much because im crap on open battlefields. I might try Armenia/ Persians got bored of my Brutii and Macedon campaigns, got too far in years and not got anywhere lol. Although i HATE fighting the Egyptians, they are the most cheating, cheap faction ive ever played so hopefully i can bypass them alltogether and take on Dacia then the Greeks and go that way. Think that'll work?

I dont see why not.

I don't dislike sieges, just I lose more men. It is quite annoying, but historically accurate.

"Sure there have been injuries and deaths in boxing - but none of them serious" - Alan Minter
    "When a man steals your wife there is no better revenge than to let him keep her." - Sacha Guitry.
    "If one synchronised swimmer drowns, do all the rest have to drown too?" - Steven Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad_Licker
    oh yes! i finally did it! i finally chose a faction to play which was the whole point of this thread!!!

i chose armenia coz i have never played as them before and think they would be a challenge!
    Good choice, I've enjoyed playing that faction in the past and right now I am fighting them off as the Scipii as they have grown nicely. They can field strong forces along with the interesting cataphract archers.
    Did the Parthians start on you quickly?

Yeah, Armenians are my favorite "Eastern" faction. On seiges, I hate them because I think the towers on the walls are so cheap, when I'm trying to find a way into the city square these stupid things are picking me off. It's particularily annoying when i'm fighting say a Phalanx and other meatshields, while towers are shooting me in the ass. Computer always knows exactly which way to go, so I ethier build a seige tower or sapper then autocalc, works fine.

-Revan

Defies the point of house rules though.

Frost, colonel

I only got a couple of turns in before i decided to crash in for the night, so far im only at war with the Selucid but parthia is seiging the individual city-states that form a buffer between them and the Selucid. im guessing that pretty soon they will be at war with each other and ill be at war with them, so a three way war! egypt will no doubt get involved and the Selucid always attack pontis so Aisa Minor will be at war in which only one faction can surivive!

my plan is to fight for my life in the Asia Minor wars and become dominate there taking all the island nations from Cyprus to Crete. eventually i will send armies into carthage and conquer the whole of the African continent, advance into the steppes to take out the scythians and then for a co attack on Greece. marching an army across the hellspont into thrace moving west against macedon while one moves down from the steppes through dacia to meet up with them at Pela, another moves from the islands in the Agiean and attacks Athens then moves up the western coast and another from Crete attacks the Peloponnese.

once Asia Minor, the steppe lands and Greece fall to my rule, then i will attack the barbs of Europe, moving my forces west, and sending armies across from carthage to spain. ill pin Rome in Italy and slowly eat them up!

Or at least thats my game plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Toad_Licker
    Frost, colonel

I only got a couple of turns in before i decided to crash in for the night, so far im only at war with the Selucid but parthia is seiging the individual city-states that form a buffer between them and the Selucid. im guessing that pretty soon they will be at war with each other and ill be at war with them, so a three way war! egypt will no doubt get involved and the Selucid always attack pontis so Aisa Minor will be at war in which only one faction can surivive!

my plan is to fight for my life in the Asia Minor wars and become dominate there taking all the island nations from Cyprus to Crete. eventually i will send armies into carthage and conquer the whole of the African continent, advance into the steppes to take out the scythians and then for a co attack on Greece. marching an army across the hellspont into thrace moving west against macedon while one moves down from the steppes through dacia to meet up with them at Pela, another moves from the islands in the Agiean and attacks Athens then moves up the western coast and another from Crete attacks the Peloponnese.

once Asia Minor, the steppe lands and Greece fall to my rule, then i will attack the barbs of Europe, moving my forces west, and sending armies across from carthage to spain. ill pin Rome in Italy and slowly eat them up!

Or at least thats my game plan!
    Can anyone say "Setbacks happen".

-Revan

amen to that.

selucid are no longer a problem but i now share a border with parthia, pontis and egypt...only parthia are not attacking me!

all i can see on the map is fields of blue egyption armies everywhere! i only have two armies thats all i can support and they are busy as garrison troops in the newly conquered cities. egypt and pontis attacked in one turn and parthia is massing troops on my border!

im screwed!

Egypt starts off way too good in this game.

-Revan

i know and it turns me against them, i normally make it so that they cant build units by making their units take 20 turns to build. i want them destroyed to make way for other empires

Yeah, Egypt is way too overpowered in this.

-Revan

Egypt is always overpowered its the way CA made them. but Yes I wanted to make sure they could wipe off Seleucid. If I didnt I found Egypt would love to the phalanx units. Trust me I balanced and tested this out alot in SPQR. I know how the armies react to eachother. If I didnt make egypt Strong there would be no egypt and to be honest its more historical to have Egypt last than Seleucid? Also I like to fight the egyptians later in the game, they are very rich and powerful like in Cleaopatra times. :-)
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

I'm getting the impression that this game is most entertaining to play as the Romans? After my Juli campaign, I'd love to play as the Germans but I'm afraid I might get bored with them. Of course, my Juli campaign is going to take a loooong time. V4.6 is way more difficult than v4.3. I love and I hate at the same time the 9 start general mod. I had my first battle today that I lost half of my men, lost a fort, and nearly lost a city, (oh, I lost two faction leaders in two turns too, faction leader then faction heir when my leader died).

Has anybody done a campaign as the Germans? If so, do you find it fun?

I never enjoyed Germans, too secluded.
    Lt, concerning Egyptians. What in the world makes you think they were rich and powerful in Cleo's time?

-Revan

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast