Thread: Question about Steam Accounts

Default Question about Steam Accounts

Okay, so my friend put together my new computer while I was away and decided to test out it's power by installing a store bought copy of Shogun 2 on the computer which I had bought. Apparently in order to try the game he also needed to get steam. So he did, but he didn't enter in my steam account he just randomly made one up and started the game up on Steam. So now I try to play Shogun II on my original steam account on the same computer but when I double click on the icon it just takes my steam program over to the web page where you buy Shogun II. So my question is is there a way to transfer the Shogun II from that account over to my real one or am I screwed?

Nevins's Avatar Semper Gumby
    Civitate

Default Re: Question about Steam Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    Okay, so my friend put together my new computer while I was away and decided to test out it's power by installing a store bought copy of Shogun 2 on the computer which I had bought. Apparently in order to try the game he also needed to get steam. So he did, but he didn't enter in my steam account he just randomly made one up and started the game up on Steam. So now I try to play Shogun II on my original steam account on the same computer but when I double click on the icon it just takes my steam program over to the web page where you buy Shogun II. So my question is is there a way to transfer the Shogun II from that account over to my real one or am I screwed?
    You are going to have to email valve about that one. The CD key is registered to this other account, not yours so you're boned basically unless Valve somehow transfers the key. Blame your bonehead friend.
    Client of the honorable Gertrudius!

Graaaaaghhhhhh

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Nevins View Post
    You are going to have to email valve about that one. The CD key is registered to this other account, not yours so you're boned basically unless Valve somehow transfers the key. Blame your bonehead friend.
    what he says

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Valve won't transfer games to my knowledge. You're either going to have to dig out that account he made and log into it whenever you play Shogun 2, or purchase it on your own account.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Well I really hope you're wrong about that. I wrote them a support ticket thing. Man that is so lame. I want to do violence on this person for his foolish mistake but he built my computer so I can't really be mad =(.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    Well I really hope you're wrong about that. I wrote them a support ticket thing. Man that is so lame. I want to do violence on this person for his foolish mistake but he built my computer so I can't really be mad =(.
    yes you can

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevins View Post
    Not true. I had the same problem when Empire came out. All you have to do is log into your friends account on your computer and uninstall the game from his Steam Account. Then log into your steam account and reinstall the game. That should work.

Well we couldnt get into the other account cause he couldnt remember the password and it's registered to a non-existent email account. However, Steam is letting me transfer the game to my account I just had to provide evidence that I owned the game.

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

That's good to hear. I was almost certain they wouldn't allow you.
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

Legionary Jezza's Avatar Praefectus

I am abit late to the show here, but this is good news. Happy gaming!

Just to give you guys a heads up to avoid the problem I wouldn't think for Steam to be this generous for you. They told me that games are not transferable and that for customer service sakes they'd do it for me just this once. So don't be negligent and think they'll hook you up just because they hooked me up.