Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game

Oh really? Which army did you choose?

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinary Guardian View Post
    I think of bolstering my collection with Swan Knights just because they look that good...why they seem like a pain to paint?
    They seem like a pain to paint because of the extra decals. Like the pictures of the swans and getting a nice blue combo with the fact that their armor is more shiny and therefore should not be bright but at the same time be mixed in white a little bit of wash. So their coloration is a hard one to mix and match and then you have to draw all the swans and symbols in

Oh really? Which army did you choose? - I think he means that he started Warhammer Fantasy and after this conversation wants to start LOTR.
    Last edited by Russian Gondor; September 28, 2010 at 07:38 PM.

Oh really? Which army did you choose?
    Going to start as Gondor again I just bought the starter pack where you get 12 Goblins and paints, I only bought it for the paint lol

lol i have hundreds of these figures, like 500 or something, all painted by me I was collecting and playing it years ago, when i was like 13-14

Quote Originally Posted by Raradir View Post
    Going to start as Gondor again I just bought the starter pack where you get 12 Goblins and paints, I only bought it for the paint lol
    Great...Gondor has a nice selection of troops perhaps the greatest of all good factions...me, I may get back to LoTR only when I am finished painting my beloved Blood Angels Astartes....

Great...Gondor has a nice selection of troops perhaps the greatest of all good factions...me, I may get back to LoTR only when I am finished painting my beloved Blood Angels Astartes....

In my opinion evil is better than good in every way. They have OP monsters ( Mumak, Balrog ). OP heroes ( Sauron ). And they have better troops ( concerning Isengard and Rhun ). Gondor has pretty good troops though. If I were you I would max out on normal soldiers, get Aragorn with Anduril ( if your facing evil ) and get Boromir. I would also have 1 pack of cavalry to take out enemy archers and outflank the enemy.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I have a few of these pieces, about a dozen goblins and the fellowship.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    I have a few of these pieces, about a dozen goblins and the fellowship.
    You should post them

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Gondor View Post
    You should post them

They are unpainted. I got them as a gift lol

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    They are unpainted. I got them as a gift lol

Paint them up . I have a feeling your friend bought the starter set and didn't need some models so they gave it to you

*EDIT* 600th post!!!

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Paint them up . I have a feeling your friend bought the starter set and didn't need some models so they gave it to you

*EDIT* 600th post!!!

he bought the set, never played with it then gave it to me . Plus I suck at painting

Just paint them in one color then. As long as they look good from afar its awesome

Just paint them in one color then. As long as they look good from afar its awesome
    True enough...come on post them!!

People are actually posting in the TATW of a thread I opened

I 'll take a look!

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

Well, I've got some rangers coming in the mail soon, got them second-hand for pretty cheap. I ended up finally pulling the trigger on these guys, since I love the look of them, and now the Gondorians I've got at home won't sit around doing nothing. I bought 48 rangers instead of the 24 I was asking for, because the guy gave me a nicer discount if I went for the whole lot - now I just gotta find someone who will trade or buy the extra 24 off me lol

Quote Originally Posted by KippyK View Post
    Well, I've got some rangers coming in the mail soon, got them second-hand for pretty cheap. I ended up finally pulling the trigger on these guys, since I love the look of them, and now the Gondorians I've got at home won't sit around doing nothing. I bought 48 rangers instead of the 24 I was asking for, because the guy gave me a nicer discount if I went for the whole lot - now I just gotta find someone who will trade or buy the extra 24 off me lol
    If I were you I wold keep 48. All you need is a hero and they will be an awesome army. They lack armor but their skills in woods and high fight value make them a deadly force.

If I were you I wold keep 48. All you need is a hero and they will be an awesome army. They lack armor but their skills in woods and high fight value make them a deadly force.
    And are the best archers in Gondor's list, if I recall correctly.

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

Yep, you're both spot on. I love the feel of a small, skillful elite, which is what the rangers give me. Blanket Minas Tirith troops feel too... vanilla. That's why I decided to supplement my current Gondorians, as it gives me the "skillful" troops I wanted, but now my Minas Tirith models don't sit in a box like they would've if I started elves or something. Plus, the Osgiliath scenes are some of my favorites from the films, and I can re-enact them in games now.

Here's the situation: I would keep the 48 rangers, but I don't foresee myself getting to use them all at once. If I trade/sell them, the end-game would be to 1) acquire commanders (I would love to get my hands on a Minas Tirith captain/banner, a hornblower 'cuz the model is sweet, and Madril as a ranger captain), or 2) to get a set of 24 evil models. Something like Haradrim, Morannon Orcs, Easterlings, etc. etc. I have 12 Mordor Orcs at home, and I could mix them together for a decent evil army to go along with my Gondor army, and then I could let people use the second army at the board game club here at school. Honestly, even if they don't get "recruited" into buying their own models, I'd be happy playing some games with my own models.
    Last edited by Kip; October 13, 2010 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KippyK View Post
    Yep, you're both spot on. I love the feel of a small, skillful elite, which is what the rangers give me. Blanket Minas Tirith troops feel too... vanilla. That's why I decided to supplement my current Gondorians, as it gives me the "skillful" troops I wanted, but now my Minas Tirith models don't sit in a box like they would've if I started elves or something. Plus, the Osgiliath scenes are some of my favorites from the films, and I can re-enact them in games now.

Here's the situation: I would keep the 48 rangers, but I don't foresee myself getting to use them all at once. If I trade/sell them, the end-game would be to 1) acquire commanders (I would love to get my hands on a Minas Tirith captain/banner, a hornblower 'cuz the model is sweet, and Madril as a ranger captain), or 2) to get a set of 24 evil models. Something like Haradrim, Morannon Orcs, Easterlings, etc. etc. I have 12 Mordor Orcs at home, and I could mix them together for a decent evil army to go along with my Gondor army, and then I could let people use the second army at the board game club here at school. Honestly, even if they don't get "recruited" into buying their own models, I'd be happy playing some games with my own models.
    If you like 'em go for it....in my opinion, since you use a Good army that focuses on speed and stealth, you might want your Evil army to be different, ie: Heavily armoured but slow. Basically, that narrows it down into few evil armies, like Morannon Orcs as you've said, or Easterlings or Uruk-Hai.
    As for your Rangers, don't forget the 33% limit on the bow armed models!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast