Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game

Default Re: The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinary Guardian View Post
    I sucked too at painting High Elves, but, when I started mixing Colours, things became so much better. A 50:50 mix of Mithril Silver and Shinning Gold, and a highlight of Mithril Silver (No shades, the models do not have enough sculpting for this) work wonders on High Elves...
    True, or I think if you add a bit of water to the Shining Gold paint and then mix on a light brush of some metallic paint followed by Badab Black wash, it should work quite well. I have not painted elves though, working on my rangers right now

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Gondor View Post
    True, or I think if you add a bit of water to the Shining Gold paint and then mix on a light brush of some metallic paint followed by Badab Black wash, it should work quite well. I have not painted elves though, working on my rangers right now
    Well, ever since I started painting my Blood Angels Space Marines, I have forgotten how to paint anything other than red power armour. How do you paint your Rangers?

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

Well, ever since I started painting my Blood Angels Space Marines, I have forgotten how to paint anything other than red power armour. How do you paint your Rangers?
    I will post some photos later.

First I dry brush with dark angels green. Then I color the bow, arm protectors, and skirt scorched brown.
    Then I color the main body Catachan Green, followed by Scorched Brown on the straps/details.
    Boots, quiver, and shoulder pads are Bestial Brown.
    Arrows are some white/grey color, I have no idea of the name, I use starter set colors.
    Then I paint the arms and face a fleshy color, add eyes, and cover the Catachan Green body in Badab black wash.
    After that, color base scorched brown and then base it with grass/sand.

Do you guys water down your GW paint ? I've been told the results are better.

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey I of Leuven View Post
    Do you guys water down your GW paint ? I've been told the results are better.
    When I use them as washes, yes...

When I use them as washes, yes...
    Yeah, it makes the models look more dry

Yeah, it makes the models look more dry
    Well, in my red-armoured Astartes, I use Devlan Mud for the recesses (red is best shaded with brown and highlighted with orange), and when all shading and highlighting is complete, I use Baal Red all over the armour, blending the colours. I love the way my Astartes come out!

Well, in my red-armoured Astartes, I use Devlan Mud for the recesses (red is best shaded with brown and highlighted with orange), and when all shading and highlighting is complete, I use Baal Red all over the armour, blending the colours. I love the way my Astartes come out!
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Pics or it didn't happen.
    If I had a decent camera and if I knew how to upload pics, then OK ...what, you don't take the word of a fellow painter??

If I had a decent camera and if I knew how to upload pics, then OK ...what, you don't take the word of a fellow painter??
    Just kidding mate Everything is better with images, that's all.

Just kidding mate Everything is better with images, that's all.
    I know, but my mobile phone's camera does not agree...I may post some pics later, though...
    EDIT..here they are(as you can see, the camera ain't that good...)
    Last edited by Sanguinary Guardian; December 15, 2010 at 10:35 AM.

I know, but my mobile phone's camera does not agree...I may post some pics later, though...
    EDIT..here they are(as you can see, the camera ain't that good...)
    Wow, good job.

I just got a Galadhirim army and a Balrog. I cannot wait to paint the Balrog, any tips?

Wow, good job.

I just got a Galadhirim army and a Balrog. I cannot wait to paint the Balrog, any tips?
    Balrog is a to paint, IMO (by the looks of it). For the flame , I would suggest an orange undercoat, followed by highlights of yellow and on top, highlights of pure white, and washes of Baal Red or Devlan Mud Drybrush is your friend, especially in highlights. For the black parts, I found that the best highlights are achieved, using Adeptus Battlegrey. That's just my two cents, I've never painted a Balrog...I am more proficient in Elves, of all kinds...

Balrog is a to paint, IMO (by the looks of it). For the flame , I would suggest an orange undercoat, followed by highlights of yellow and on top, highlights of pure white, and washes of Baal Red or Devlan Mud Drybrush is your friend, especially in highlights. For the black parts, I found that the best highlights are achieved, using Adeptus Battlegrey. That's just my two cents, I've never painted a Balrog...I am more proficient in Elves, of all kinds...
    I read in the Fellowship of the Ring sourcebook that you need to first apply some white on a primed coat in the lava/fire area, then apply orange and yellow ink. And then drybrush codex gray. What do you think? I am not sure this is enough.

I read in the Fellowship of the Ring sourcebook that you need to first apply some white on a primed coat in the lava/fire area, then apply orange and yellow ink. And then drybrush codex gray. What do you think? I am not sure this is enough.
    Well, m8, since you need to paint brightly coloured parts, you must use a white primer. That is, in the flame parts and the sword, use Skull White instead of Chaos Black as a basecoat. Now, I would apply Macharius Solar Orange, after that, so that the rest yellow/orange colours can be painted easily upon it, since Macharius Solar Orange is a foundation colour. Then apply Blazing Orange all over it. Highlight using all yellows (Progression should be like this Vomit Brown [not sure about that], Golden Yellow and then Sunburst yellow) at your disposal, not just one, for the best effect. For the final highlight, I'd use the Skull White, albeit sparringly and only in the most pronounced areas. Shading effects can be achieved, IMO by using Gryphonne Sepia, use it in all the recesses. Anyway, that's how I'd paint the fiery parts of terror of Shadow and Flame. My suggestion is to use a spare miniature, and experiment on this, see if you like it and then apply it or. I use a spare Tactical Marine for that, acquired freely by a friend of mine...

Here they are.

My elf army I finished creating today. And my Balrog which I just got apart.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

And my rangers I forgot to post on.

Rangers look good, they have that rural feeling that is necessary...

Rangers look good, they have that rural feeling that is necessary...

Thanks. The only reason I bought them is because I felt my armor lacked a more scout type of infantry. I kind of got tired of painting armored guys and decided to go for something with another paint job. I also repainted my Uruk Hai recently. I removed all of the blood from the armor/body/shields and only left it on the spears and swords.

Just finished the Balrog. Sadly I could not got to my Games Workshop shop today. Will postpone until Sunday or the Weekdays. I am thinking to prime the Balrog black because it will be hard to get the dark texture for the rest of the body with white primer and then I will just buy a bottle of white paint to paint the flame/lava areas.

Just finished the Balrog. Sadly I could not got to my Games Workshop shop today. Will postpone until Sunday or the Weekdays. I am thinking to prime the Balrog black because it will be hard to get the dark texture for the rest of the body with white primer and then I will just buy a bottle of white paint to paint the flame/lava areas.

Us Chaos Black in all areas except those covered in flames.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast