Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game

Default The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game

Hello TW Center,

I would like to open this thread for the people who play the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game ( For both Skirmish and War of the Ring battles ). I highly encourage discussions on strategy, armies, painting, modelling, etc. I would also highly encourage that you may add photos of your army. Some info on cool games you played would be appreciated too.

I would like to upload some photos of my 1,000 point Gondor army attacking a 1,000 point army of the White Hand ( Isengard ).

The objectives of this mission was for me to kill everyone on the hill ( Skull Temple piece ) and also kill the Uruk's main captain, Ugluk ( Crossbow dude ). This is kind of a picture story battle.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Sorry. Some of the images are blurry. This was my most epic battle since I was outnumbered greatly, the enemy had the hill as their defensive position, and the fact that I lost over 25 of my men while the enemy only lost 10 at one point. My heroes managed to kill everyone on the hill and kill the enemy hero. Once the battle was over the uruks had only 1 troll, 1 captain, and 1 normal unit standing. The match lasted 3 1/2 hours.

Some more pictures of my 500 point Goblin army destroying Isengard in a "minor victory".

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

SPECIAL THANKS TO GAMES WORKSHOP STORE MANAGER MARK HIGGINS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO DO BATTLE WITH ME!
    Last edited by Russian Gondor; August 19, 2010 at 05:16 PM.

Default Re: The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game

Sorry for some of the images are smudgy

Rinan's Avatar Centenarius

Yea, they're not photographic masterworks! Funny to see pictures though. It's a pity that you tried getting close shots of your archers and that they failed. I don't know too much about photography but you might want to find out a bit how to focus etc. And maybe you should try keep the camera really still? (you could try use a stand)
    And is it me or does the shooting hole your archer is aiming at in the third picture look a bit weird? Soldiers look fancy though!

Anyhow, I know almost nothing about wargaming! Wouldn't know if there are many other people playing this, but there is a 40k subforum on TWC...

Well. As for the camera I was just taking quick pictures, I did not really try to set up a huge stand and take some master photographs. As for the bad quality it is because a camera can either focus on a close target, or a far target. On the images with the archers I was focused on the target far away. If I was focused on the target close then the background would be blurry. Anyways, as for 40k. LOTR is from the same company but an entire different game.

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Pretty cool.

I used to to the GW Lord of the Rings stuff years ago when I was younger but the lack of other players around me and the fact that I enjoyed painting the models more than playing the game itself sort of made it a fleeting interest...also the fact that GW's stuff is mad expensive and i was 14 or 15 didn't help.

Seriously...$50 or $60 bucks for 8 metal models...GTFO

If I had had money out the ass I wouldve played more but the income of a non working teen doesn't really support the hobby too well...

It was fun while it lasted but I quickly found collecting and painting plastic WWII models to be much more satisfying and extremely less hash financially (how could you not love the fact that 50 German infantry models only set you back $8?!)
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Well. I agree that the hobby is expensive and I am struggling because of that. I am now painting rooms around my house and all that for money.... I have so far spent $180 dollars for paint, prime, glue, 6 Gondor Knights, 24 Gondor warriors, The Fellowship, a cave troll, and 24 goblins. So I am more or less good having 1,500 point army at 180 dollars. I also recommend you buy plastic models. Metal models are not price friendly.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Wow, some nice models there. Seems incredibly expensive though for what is basically a 3D board game

Thanks ccllnply. Well. It is more of a hobby to be honest. I find a large difference between a 3D board game and a hobby. This is more of a collect, paint, etc hobby. Not too much of a buy one board game and your good hobby.

Speaking of expensive hobbies. When I was on vacation in Australia I went to the Queen Victoria Shopping Center and there was a hobby store for miniatures. The minis were quite small, about as tall as a humans finger, and were from $200 - $2,000 dollars. A knight on a horse cost $1,300 dollars. Now thats what I call an expensive hobby.

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

I especially like the walls with the imperial eagle on them. Long live the Emperor. You know, if he lived.

But nicely done, man!

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

I see a speese Mahrine. Lotr40k?

Quote Originally Posted by Ratzor View Post
    I see a speese Mahrine. Lotr40k?

Oh. lol. I use that was a priority marker. If I don't use it then I use Sam ( He carries sausages and a frying pan )

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Lost Socks View Post
    I especially like the walls with the imperial eagle on them. Long live the Emperor. You know, if he lived.

But nicely done, man!
    That would be our "technologically advanced Gondorian hedges".

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

people still play that crap? move onto BFME2

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Jaketh View Post
    Or Third Age Total War...much, much, much cheaper haha

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

topics name should be lotr table top game
    Quote Originally Posted by VOP2288 View Post
    Or Third Age Total War...much, much, much cheaper haha
    lotr-tw is better

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Hopit View Post
    topics name should be lotr table top game

lotr-tw is better
    Unfortunately I do not have Alexander so I can't play it...I used to have it and got it from some direct download site but I can't remember which site it was and if I could even download it again if I found the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaketh View Post

BFME 2 has crappy gameplay TBH. I bought it for 50 bucks and think that its just not it. BFME 1 was much more fun.

As for TATW. I do not like the gameplay. COW gameplay suits me more. TATW is just, meh, its a great job, but, its just once you kill your few enemies the game becomes to easy and pointless.

Bump bump. Whistle. Bump * Ressurects thread *

Hilarion's Avatar Vicarius

I've always wanted a collection of historical figurines. Like of the English Civil War or Louis XIV's army. I suppose I can save it for a later life hobby, though by that time I may as well buy actual paintings/prints of the periods...

Darth Ravenous's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

LotR-tw is awesome, shame most of the crew died off.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast