Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Faction Preview No 7: Sparta

Default Faction Preview No 7: Sparta

Faction Preview:

Lacedaemon (Sparta)

Models & Skins: Dark Fernir, Map: Uranos, Research & Text: Apostates, Lupus & Team, Additional Art: Lupus

We will be using the Greek letter "Lamda" for the faction icon. Even though the "Lambda" wasn't used at the time of the Persian Invasions and was only introduced roughly about the time of the Pelloponesian Wars, we decided to use it because everyone is already familiar with it...

- "If I would fight by numbers, then the whole of Hellas would be insufficient, for she is only a small part of the Persians numbers, but if I am going to fight by valor, then even this number is enough !"

- Leonidas, son of Anaxandridas, king of Sparta, descendant of Hercules : answering to somebody who asked him, how so few would risk with so many...?

Sparta

Before the Dorian domination of Hellas, Sparta was a Mycenean city, home of the Homerical king Menelaos, the brother of Agamemnon. Traditionally, the Heraclide brothers, descendants of the heroes Heracles, Kresephontes, Temenos and Aristodemos tried to conquer Peloponnesos. After Aristodemos' death, his twin sons Eurysthenes and Procles, were given Laconia as lot. Sparta in the 8th and 7th century BC was open to foreigners. She had good relations with Samos, which helped her in the war with Messenia, and also with Cyprus, Rhodes, Cyrene and more. She was a highly cultured city, with her own architects and artisans. The arts were highly developed with celebrated sculptors in wood, pottery, metal workers, weavers, leather workers, many of them foreigners. Spartan musicians, dancers and singers were also renowned. Sparta was also famous for the production of purple dyed clothes. From 720 BC to 576 BC, she had 46 Olympic winners out of 81 total victors. But during the 6th century BC the arts progressively started to decline. Lycurgus' laws eventually strained Sparta.
    The legend of Sparta would not have existed without Lycurgus' retra, which was brought from Delphi. Lycurgus' unwritten laws transformed the Lacedaimonian society into what comes to mind when one thinks of Sparta today. The decisions about civil issues were a duty of the "Gerousia" (Senate) which was later substituted by the five "ephorai" (elders). The citizen assembly, made up of Spartan citizens over 30 years old, would then reject or approve loudly.

The Spartans had a very peculiar form of government which enabled them to be professional soldiers. To be more precise: it not only enabled them, it even forced them to be superior soldiers, as a small group of Spartans had to dominate an enormous amount of subjects and unwilling allies. After the subjugation of the whole of Laconia, the population became either perioikoi or helots; the perioikoi who remained free citizens were also given lots of land and had in their hands the trade and arts. In times of war, they were naturally allied to Sparta and followed them into battle, since they were part of the Lacedaemonian army. The helots worked the farms, the streets, and any job too vile for a free citizen. These were public slaves under a different name, the only difference being the slim chance of promotion or liberation. Helots also played a part in battles. They carried spare equipment, dragged out wounded soldiers, flung missiles over the front lines and, in desperate situations, filled in the holes in the ranks.
    After the annexation of Messenia in 724 BC and the failure of the Messenian revolt in 668 BC which were troubling Sparta for several decades, they turned against the Argive province of Kynouria, which they eventually conquered after lengthy wars with Argos. Argos was a difficult foe but the Spartans eventually reduced them. When Kleon was asked the reason that Spartans didn't completely exterminate the Argives several times they had the chance to, he replied that with no Argives, the younger, inexperienced Spartan soldiers wouldn’t get good practice in real battle conditions !
    Spartans also attempted several expeditions against Arcadia but were totally unsuccessful in the wars with Tegea at first. When the tide of the war turned, the proud Tegeans lost every battle and finally acknowledged the supremacy of Sparta, but they were never reduced to subjection and continued to be masters of their city, becoming only dependant allies.

The Spartan soldier was supreme in Hellas, and also in the rest of the known world. No other army was so well trained, and had such excellent equipment. They believed that their traditional training was the key to success, and for a considerable time they were right, as they had never lost a battle in spite of their small numbers. As soon as a child was born in Sparta, the mother would wash it with wine, in order to make sure that it was strong. If the child was weak, it would die soon. Later it was brought by his father to the elders, who inspected carefully the newborn infant. If they found that the child was deformed or weak, they abandoned it in Kaiada, the so called Apothetai, a chiasm at a cliff on mount Taygetos, to die of exposure.
    Up to the age of 7 the child was raised by its mother, who did not use the special clothes for children in order not to deform the body or make the child nervous or stubborn. They also made sure to remove anything that would make the child cry or feel fear or disgust.
    After the age of 7, it was taken from its mother and given to the state to complete the "agoge" (training). During the 12 years of "agoge", they were dressed winter and summer, with the same piece of cloth, which the state gave them once a year. They would not use blankets and would sleep on top of straws and reeds, which they would cut from the banks of the river Eurotas without knives. They were trained in gymnastics, running, jumping, and were also taught to endure pain and hardship, hunger, thirst, cold, fatigue and lack of sleep along with stealing, counterspying and stealth techniques. The main purpose of the "Agoge" was to discipline the youth.

At the age of 20, when the Agoge ended, the military service of the Spartan begun. At the age of 30, the Spartan will become a citizen with full rights and duties and would be able to take part in the assembly of the people (the Apella) and hold public office. Till the age of 60 they shared the same food and sleep with their comrades in war and remained professional soldiers. As for the girls, they were also educated in classes under a similar system, but without as much rigor and also took part in public competitions. Their education was ended when they married, also usually at the age of 20. It is a well known fact that some of the best warriors of the ancient world came out of Sparta; her legendary hoplites. In fact, the whole city population was a perfect fully-trained army ! So… it’s not too difficult to understand why rival cities feared them ! The Lacedaimonian units had the greatest moral and skill, fighting off every other faction’s similar units. Naturally, many other Hellenic factions had great troops, but the Lacedaimonians were the best army in Ancient Hellas, before of course Phillip II and Alexander the Great’s armies…

There are many mixed opinions about the city of Sparta and her people. Take up any world history textbook and read: you'll find that the Spartans were "an armed camp," "brutal," "culturally stagnant," "economically stagnant," "politically stagnant," and other not so complimenting phrases. Others, however, have a much more positive view about the place.
    For all the contradictions and conflicting opinions surrounding Sparta, none can dispute the sheer military might she wields. This was displayed by the extraordinary dedication to their duty as professional soldiers shown at the battle of Thermopylae, where a few thousand Greeks, led by the elite corps of 300 Spartans led by their king, Leonidas, held of the multitudes of the Persian invasion. After some days, only the remnants of the Spartans and some allied Thespians remained. They were all wiped out in the Persian advance, but their sacrifice left the main Greek army enough time to prepare, and elevated themselves to the stuff of legend. The Spartans were hard traditionalists and clung dearly to the old ways.The later Sparta did not produce art or philosophy, neither left us any written work, but its people were admired for their valor and for keeping alive the Hellenic values, and most of all, they are known as the most famous infantry of all times....

Locations/Regions around Sparta

Spartan Units

Spartan Homoioi Hoplites

The main power of the lacedaemonian army are the "homoioi" (the equals). These Spartans have completed the "agoge" training and are fully professional soldiers. They have full rights and obligations in Lacedaemonian society and they are the most disciplined and feared fighters in the Hellenic world, and with good reason...

Spartan Hippeis Hoplites

These men are the best 300 homoioi selected for their valour and combat abilities by the 3 "hippagretai". They form the Spartan king's personal guard and their name means horsemen, but of course they always fight on foot as hoplites.

Spartan Family Member Bodyguards

These hippeis fight nearest the king. They are the best of the best and are truly awesome on the battlefield.

Tegean Hoplites

The Spartans had a hard time dealing with the city of Tegea. After the end of the wars which lasted several decades the two cities became allies and the Tegeans fought by the Spartan's side and were placed in the honourable position in the phalanx, and continued to give good accounts of themselves.

Skiritai

The skiritai are "perioikoi" (locals) recruited from the province of Skiritis which lies between Laconia and Arcadia. They carry the hoplon shield and can fight as hoplites, however they became famous due to their commando-like skills and their abilities to fulfill special operations. They are some of the most hardy, agile and fast moving soldiers around, and later they served as hamippoi in the Lacedaimonian army. They carry a leaf shaped sword and a couple of spears to throw as a missile weapon.

Neodamodeis Hoplites

The name means "new citizens" and most likely they were liberated helots (but not always). In times of need the Spartans liberated a number of helots to fill their ranks. Also some of them had earned their freedom by excelling in war or by providing special services to the Lacedaemonians. They will fight well to prove themselves.

ZOR UNITS

Lacedaemonian Perioikoi Hoplites

They are chosen hoplites recruited from the cities in Laconia and Messenia under Spartan rule. Their name means "who lives around" and are free citizens who control the trade and the commerce. Although they are not the awesome force of the Homoioi, they are still very capable warriors.

Ekdromeis Hoplites

These are light hoplites who are best used to counter the fast missile troops of the enemy.

Helot Mothones

These are slaves who grew up along with the Spartans. From a young age they serve their masters and they are the most loyal Helots.

Helot Skirmishers & Helot Slingers

The numerous helots who are public slaves mostly, follow the Lacedaemonian army in war and fight as "psiloi" (light troops). It is said that the "helot psiloi" were the most well equipped of all the greek psiloi.

- "Foreigner, go tell the Lacedaemonians that here we lie obedient to their commands !"

- Funeral poem by Simonidis, on the tombstone of the 300 fallen Spartans, who fought in Thermopylae 480 B.C.

We hope you have enjoyed yet another faction preview, and as always, your comments are welcome...

If you would like to learn more about Hegemonia-City States, visit us at our development forum.

Thank you,
    The Hegemonia Team
    Last edited by ozz; October 23, 2006 at 07:29 PM.

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Very nice indeed. But you don't think that perhaps a few of these units are somewhat anachronistic? As I remember, this mod is focused around the Persian Wars era (ish), and you have a number of troops that look appropriate to that era (or slightly before it), and a number that not only look anachronistic but actually seem to belong to later eras completely. For example, helots (as far as I am aware) were not freed and used as soldiers until the Second Peloponnesian War, and the use of 'un-freed' helots in warfare never happened at all. Of course I can see that you want to make the unit roster more interesting, but it's a curious line to take. Also, did they have ekdromoi at this time?

One last thing. What are your sources on the Skiritai? I've always found sources that I've read to be extremely vague about them, and I just got the impression that they were merely another type of hoplite.

Apart from that, looking very good. Love the campaign map.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Great preview man, simply fantastic. This is the preview I was waiting for and I'm very satisfied with what I saw, good job.

Decanus

In case you forgot the mod's time frame it from 514-510 ??? till the end of the Peloponnesian War. So the helots are right on target.

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
    - Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith Darksea
    Very nice indeed. But you don't think that perhaps a few of these units are somewhat anachronistic? As I remember, this mod is focused around the Persian Wars era (ish), and you have a number of troops that look appropriate to that era (or slightly before it), and a number that not only look anachronistic but actually seem to belong to later eras completely. For example, helots (as far as I am aware) were not freed and used as soldiers until the Second Peloponnesian War, and the use of 'un-freed' helots in warfare never happened at all. Of course I can see that you want to make the unit roster more interesting, but it's a curious line to take. Also, did they have ekdromoi at this time?

One last thing. What are your sources on the Skiritai? I've always found sources that I've read to be extremely vague about them, and I just got the impression that they were merely another type of hoplite.

Apart from that, looking very good. Love the campaign map.
    actually zenith,the mod DOES covers the Peloponnesian war era!
    i mean the map does for it and also we had agreed to add a couple of units of that times (greek peltasts and ekdromeis) which of course were a much later development than the start date of the mod but thats how we had agreed within the team

however keep in mind that we mainly focus in the defensive wars of the greeks against the persians (although ALL the events till the end of 5th cent will have reference)

about helots : i think u are mistakem since numerous helots served in the lacedaimonian army by "guarding" the spartans and the perioikoi
    Herodots mentions them as "psiloi" (light troops) same as the rest of the "psiloi" of the allied greek army...those were about buble buble 40000 thousands....so its impossible that they were freed

after the battle of Plataia for example there was a separate grave for the helots who fell there
    and of cource there were the helots who fell in Thermopylai
    .....oftenly all those are forgotten and not much mentioned by the sources since they fought as light equipped and the ancient authors tend to stress the hoplites and only count those casualities

as for the liberated helots,even if the mod wouldnt cover the era they appeared,it makes good sense to give the ability to recruite a cheap and quickly trained unit in case u are in danger or u dont have money to fill the ranks of your army :wink:

and the skiritai DO fight as hoplites (who carries hoplon) but also they can do other jobs too
    ...but innocence was lost long ago

Wow, you sure showed me. Ok, so I assume that when the Peloponnesian War begins you can get access to Heilotes and Neodamodeis? Or they'll be available from the start?

As for the Heilotes question, I was aware that they accompanied Spartiatai on campaign, but fighting? I can't say I've ever read a reference to Heilotes fighting. I'll head to the Sackler library tomorrow to check that one out.

Again, what are your sources on the Skiritai?

hm is that a sarcastic tone?
    because if it is i can pay back by asking how the hell they can die without fighting
    or maybe they dig graves for the alive helots to bury them inside so that they return home with less

Sarcastic? No. But I can answer your question. Capture and execution perhaps? I don't know, because I haven't read your sources on it. Perhaps if you gave me a reference for the Heilotes? And I am genuinely interested to read your source for the Skiritai armament/deployment.

As for the Heilotes question, I was aware that they accompanied Spartiatai on campaign, but fighting?
    What are your sources that you seem so sure they did not fight.

They fought as light troops(psiloi).
    They were used to pepper the enemy with projectiles.
    Used to engage other light enemy formations.
    Used to chase the fleeing enemy.

Other duties
    Take care of wounded Spartans.
    Guard the war wagon.

Maron's Avatar I'm afraid of everyone

what is the difference between the hippeis (sp*) and the family bodyguard? which is better...cause theyre kinda the same thing

btw... awesome skins!!!!!!!!!!! i love them.

this is proving to be the most promising mod ever!

i know u get asked all the time but.....

When can we play it???????????

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteLion
    Other duties
    Take care of wounded Spartans.
    Guard the war wagon.
    and dont forget: burn over the battlefields and any obstacles/buildings in the way and go ahead of the main army on the march to check for ambushes

i always pictured them using the kopis sword though...i thought that it was unique to the "equals" to use the xiphos
    Last edited by Maron; January 31, 2006 at 05:47 PM.
    In the Legion of Rahl Under the patronage of Corporal_Hicks

“I grew up middle class, white, my parents loved me. So I might not necessarily relate to what your circumstances were. I hear them and understand them, but that’s not an excuse for you to fail. Don’t come in here and say, ‘Well, you know, that’s just kind of the way I was brought up.’ No. If you’re in a bad way right now, it’s because of the choices you made in response to your circumstances. So change your choices.” -Gene Chizik

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

About Hippeis: Basically its like in other mods for macedon hetaroi are generals bodyguard but you can also recruit them as a unit
    Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

nice job keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by Maron
    what is the difference between the hippeis (sp*) and the family bodyguard? which is better...cause theyre kinda the same thing
    But really now.
    Do you want more or less troops(skins)?????

this is proving to be the most promising mod ever!

i know u get asked all the time but.....

When can we play it???????????
    Sooner than you think.
    Just support our mod with the same zeal you are doing it now.
    Both avatar and signature are Hegemon logos.
    I am impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Maron
    and dont forget: burn over the battlefields and any obstacles/buildings in the way and go ahead of the main army on the march to check for ambushes
    No one is forgeting that helots were tough warriors cause they always dreamed to be one day in the spartan battle line.
    And they gave their best.
    Last edited by WhiteLion; January 31, 2006 at 06:31 PM.

Nothing...just new model for more variety. And also family bodyguards will be only with family members(logical) but hippeis free for "recruit"...its not totaly accurate but better for gameplay.

edit: Ah, SoR was quicker HAHA

When can we play it?
    Man that is what I want to know too HAHAHA

BTW - and who is that girl at your sig?
    Last edited by Dark Fenrir; February 03, 2006 at 08:16 PM.

Maron's Avatar I'm afraid of everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Fenrir

BTW - and who is that girl at your sig
    its Carly Patterson...all around gymnastics gold medalist at the 2004 olympics in Athens

of course shes American
    In the Legion of Rahl Under the patronage of Corporal_Hicks

“I grew up middle class, white, my parents loved me. So I might not necessarily relate to what your circumstances were. I hear them and understand them, but that’s not an excuse for you to fail. Don’t come in here and say, ‘Well, you know, that’s just kind of the way I was brought up.’ No. If you’re in a bad way right now, it’s because of the choices you made in response to your circumstances. So change your choices.” -Gene Chizik

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Fenrir

Man that is what I want to know too HAHAHA
    LOL who doesn't want to know that?

Believe in Hegemonia... Or the Megarian will get you.

its Carly Patterson...all around gymnastics
    So she must be tight and flexible.

Just joking.

I played the hegemonia map for RTW 1.2.
    I should never have tested it.
    Now it is worse.
    I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE FINAL MOD.

i always pictured them using the kopis sword though...i thought that it was unique to the "equals" to use the xiphos
    you mean probebly "xyele", but thats same like with lambda symbol....used later.

BTW

So she must be tight and flexible.
    I had same feeling but ehm she is sixteen WL
    Last edited by Dark Fenrir; February 03, 2006 at 08:18 PM.

Sarcastic? No. But I can answer your question. Capture and execution perhaps? I don't know, because I haven't read your sources on it. Perhaps if you gave me a reference for the Heilotes? And I am genuinely interested to read your source for the Skiritai armament/deployment.
    Wow, you sure showed me
    well that sounded pretty much sarcastic to me (and rather unreasonable sarcastic)
    anyway i know my english dont help so sorry for the misunderstanding if any....so lets see

first of all regarding the helots i dont really understand your objection
    those lads are mentioned as psiloi when they follow the army in battle (though in really big numbers is when they spartans made large military mobilization
    the name psiloi applies to the infantry light combatants who doesnt carry shield (at least argolic shield,since the peltasts may be called as peltasts more often)

since the helots are mentioned as psiloi (same as the light supporting troops of the other greeks) i see no reason to argue whether there will be the light skirmishers in the game

the greek hoplite ZoR will have psiloi units (along with others) and the Lacedaimonian one (a separate ZoR) will have the helot equivalent to the other psiloi
    thats all......
    they follow the army in war,serve,do auxiliary job and die like the other combatants do
    and in great numbers also,so they will appear in battlefield as its expected

now about references just have a look in the herodotos book 9 where he lists the troops of each side in Plataia
    and in book 7 where it mentions the helots who had fallen in Thermopylai
    simple as that...also when xerxes makes a trick for the good of the morale of his army where the reference is very clear (book 8,25)

other than that look book 9.28-30 (read all the army setup to make better sense) and 85
    ...as u read here in the last,the helots who fell in Plataiabattle are mentioned to be buried in the third grave
    --btw out of curiosity i cant recall who the "irenes" are so if u do tell me--

....so this xplanation u said :
    Capture and execution perhaps? I don't know, because I haven't read your sources on it. Perhaps if you gave me a reference for the Heilotes?
    ..is unfitting

...and also in book 7.229 there also is an indirect reference speaking of each spartan having with him at least one helot (those that persian troops watch dead after the battle that are mentioned later)...there are number can be also maybe estimated....

...if u can read and understand ancient greek (since u are oxford classic student) then read the original text to see the exact words,rather than the english trans

generally speaking u dont have to compare it with Peloponnesian or even later wars faraway campaigns in macedonia,west greece or ionia where organized corps of helots fight (brasidioi for example) in small numbers as the main army of heavy soldiers
    here we talk about ability to recruite the troops u can get in order of big military mobilization where many auxiliary light troops will be available or not (the logical is to make them available of course)

also i think u were wrong saying that the non liberated helots never fought in battle anyway
    in fact (and correct me here if i m wrong) they were supposed first to fight in campaigns and then be liberated (and then keep on serving of course)

...even maybe only those who fought well were liberated for their services

so enouph with helots,thats issue u brought up is unexistant

------------------

now about the skititai i think its a good issue for theoretical discussion however its rather late for that and the unit fulfills its purpose so the discussion will be only theoretical....they are mentioned by thouk and xenophon

so thats what we know about them (from first and secondary sources)
    -they are the perioikoi who live in a mountanary area between Lakonia and Arkadia and they are recorded as hardy warriors of superior skill
    -they fought as hoplites in the Lacedaimonian army in a corp of 600 men and the were deployed in the sides (i had read in a secondary book an incident that once they tried to overflank the enemy by operating quite unnatural for soldiers fighting in phalanx but i dont recall details)
    -they poccessed unique skills and duties
    -they operated like a kind of scouts to open the way for the king and also are recorded operating at night (abnormal for an ordinary hoplite)
    -they also were used as a kind of "rear guard"
    -during the battles with the boiotian armies the spartans faced the boiotian hamippoi (who fought in coordination with cavalry) and from now then they were removed from any phalanx duty and were transformed in a unit to fight in combination with the ineffectual laconian cavalry (possible to raise its effectiveness)
    -they are reported to rout enemy hoplites while they were not supposed to fight as hoplites at that time

now i think its an ideal case to make a unit a bit different than the "typical hoplite" in order to break the monotony without trespassing reality issues.
    giving them a sword as primary weapon and a couple of short spears as missile and sparse body protection to represent the equipement needed to act like no other usual hoplites acted but also putting them in the formation that will be used by the hoplite unit is a combination that makes sense and increases the interest and the gameplay

u can consider it as "commando" unit of its times
    for more details ask Lupus,the lacedaimonian expert :laughing: ,in case he knows more! (i dont know myself more about skiritai)

*i can understand that u guys in RoP may follow different setup for your Spartans there however that doesnt mean ours is wrong in any ways (neither that yours will be incomplete)
    .....on the contrary ours is the most complete and realistic lacedaimonian army that can happen actually and the result is superior and i doubt if any better spartans (of that time) are made or will be made in that engine
    .....just we let out some units of peloponnesian war (since we dont focus there) of minor importance or similar to other units we have (hypomeiones,mothakes and marines) that are not required

of course we have to deal with covering 120 years in between several changes in warfare occurred!
    but the mod will feature all the important units from both persian wars and peloponnesian (in lesser degree)
    now the way the units will be managed in the game (recruitement and so) is another (big) story....

Fantastic preview, i love Spartans and their history.

Kali doulia!

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast