Thread: Defunct Ab Urbe Condita Thread (from TE Gold)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Zipzopdippidybopbop's Avatar Barred from the Local

Default Defunct Ab Urbe Condita Thread (from TE Gold)

---------------------

Allright lads!

In my opinion TE Gold is an amazing mod (personally my favourite RTW mod of all time), but I always felt like there could be a little bit more added onto it. As a result, I began modding it and eventually this was the result!

My overhaul contains several new major changes; so much so that you wont be able to recognise the original Terrae Expugnandae mod! Some of the changes are as follows:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    - massive graphic and terrain improvements to the battle map; this WILL cause lag on some lower end computers =/
    - new terrain textures for the campaign map (which can change when you upgrade farmsteads in that province)
    - new water animations and textures for the campaign map (new in version 1.4)
    - new campaign strat models for cities and ports
    - 6 new cities; Argos in Greece, Himera and Akragas in Sicily, Ilipa in Malta, Taras in Ireland and Babylon in Babylonia (funnily enough)
    - massive faction overhauls and a new faction (Sabaea; implemented in v2)
    - many new units and retextures of pre-existing units (some examples below)
    - a small AOR system, yet still not sufficient enough to significantly detract from the original unit recruitment roster
    - lots of EDU tweaks; if you dont like incredibly tough units then dont download this!
    - new wall textures for the Romans and Greeks
    - huge amount of fixes to the text files; now the barbarian factions have a properly named and updated unit roster!
    - the popular Force Diplomacy Mod has been included (to handle the dumb AI at times; try not to abuse it!)
    - new advisor UI cards
    - too many other small changes to mention........

This mod isn't entirely historically accurate; some leeway has been given for aesthetic looks and balance as well, so dont come flaming when you notice that "X unit didnt wear Corinthian helmets!" or "Faction Y has THIS city? etc"

As of v2, this mod has been modified to run on Alexander; therefore it unfortunately cannot be played without the Alexander expansion.

Download:

To install:
    - extract the mod contents to your Creative Assembly/Rome - Total War folder (If you are currently using any of the Terrae Expugnandae mods, this will basically overwrite your entire terrae_expugnandae folder so I would recommend renaming the pre-existing folder "backup" or something).

- for those of you that use Steam, extract the downloaded files to your RTW Alexander folder (normally this would be C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\RTW Alexander). Furthermore, Steam users should then do the following:
    - right click on Rome Total War - Alexander in your Steam library, and select 'Properties' from the menu.
    - under Properties, go to the first tab, 'General'. At the bottom is a box that you can select to set launch options for the game.
    - copy this and paste it there; "-mod:terrae_expugnandae -nm -show_err -movie_cam -enable_editor -noalexander". Make sure there is a space before the dash (-)!!
    - the game should load with the mod from Steam. No need to click the bat file anymore.
    The majority of the mod is modfoldered, however the in-game graphical improvements are not. I have tested the vanilla game extensively, and apart from the increase in terrain graphics and the campaign map there are no problems

To play:
    - run the included batch file (called "TE"); after installation this should be located in your RTW folder (alongside your exe files). I'd advise you to create a shortcut for the batch file to your desktop, and rename it Rome Total War or something. I have also heard that some of you may experience problems running the mod. If that is the case then try right clicking TE.bat and selecting "Run as Administrator
    - For Steam users, just launch Rome Total War - Alexander" =)

Update History:
    - v1.1 (Hotfix; fixed a few text errors and added a British army to Ireland, in an attempt to encourage overseas AI expansion)

- v1.2 (New version with many improvements; eg. fixed stone wall crash, added barbarian cavalry to Britons and corrected Egypt not displaying proper UI interface)

- v1.3 (Fully revamped factions - Parthia, Pontus, Armenia, Numidia and Thrace; Seleucids now at war with Parthia and Baktria; intended to make things a harder challenge for the player and prevent the Seleucid AI from dominating the campaign map)

- v1.4 (Massive overhaul to existing mod - Roman and Carthaginian armies revamped and retextured with additional units, new Roman/Carthaginian general battle/strat models, animated water textures finally implemented for campaign map, new barbarian Naked Fanatics model, new mercenaries, many bugfixes; notably the climates in Egypt and other hot regions, the annoying descr_daytypes crash, new territories added to Britons and finally; mod transition to Alexander.exe in order to utilise its better AI!

- v1.5 (Revamped Greek City States; retextured units and now some cities have specific hoplites like Athens, Syracuse and Argos etc. Aforementioned hoplites + Spartans also added to mercenary pool (although theyre VERY rare and expensive!!). New Greek officers and few new reskins like Libyan Hoplites. Finally added new loading screens and a background to the game!)

- v1.6 (Added 2 mercenary units; Campanian Cavalry and Massilian Hoplites. Final bugfixes also included, like the Baktrian elaphra pikemen and the Carthaginian quinquereme EDB bug!)

- v1.7 (Few more bugfixes. Also more significantly I have decided to revert back to the RTW.exe instead of Alexander; I thought that it was best, due to installation complications with Steam users and to ensure that more people can play the mod. I should add that all the original units with 1.6 are STILL in v1.7; luckily I managed to find and delete a few more dummy units in the DMB file =D)

- v1.8 (Think I finally fixed the incessant CTD on startup crash I unwittingly introduced into the game. Also added Medieval 2 trees and vegetation to the stratmap: you should enjoy your campaign more now! Finally, I added 2 new units; the Hoplites of Corinth and Pergamum - both of which are available to mercenaries AND the Greek Cities).

- v1.9 (Fixed the Campaign loading CTD regarding the birch_001.tga file. You should have no problems now!)

- v2 (A severely LONG list of changes have been made):
    * It now runs on Alexander.exe; this was necessary in order to incorporate the new additions. Furthermore, the AI performs much better now (including naval invasions).
    * A small AOR system has been included: nothing fancy, just a few mercenary units that are now recruitable in various regions dotted throughout the map.
    * A new fully fleshed out faction: The Arabian Kingdom of Sabaea
    * Many new units (about 50-60 in all I think)
    * The popular "Force Diplomacy" script has been added; now in diplomatic discussions, press the ? mark at the top of the screen to force the enemy faction to accept your terms (try not to abuse it; it is intended to counter the daft AI)
    * Many new re-skins of pre-existing units.
    * New AI Advisors
    * New Battlemaps
    * And many more wee additions!

Bugs:
    - keep me updated; as of v2 there are none which I am aware of!

Credits:

- Lusted (for creating the great original which STILL has me enthralled after several years of gameplay!)
    - Iain (my primary mod tester - cheers for reporting the various glitches and bugs I had missed)
    - DVK, Tone and the Roma Surrectum II team (thanks lads for the terrain, graphics overhaul and new settlement/port strat models)
    - DimeBagHo and the XGM team (many of the elite greek/egyptian units)
    - Tony83 and the RTR Platinum team (many new unit reskins)
    - Ferres (for the new Roman skins)
    - Davide.Cool (for the Roman ships, watchtowers, and new greek and roman walls)
    - Lt1956 and the SPQR team (for some skins, notably the Parthian spearmen!)
    - Archaon (for the Campaign AI Ally mod)
    - Kylan271 (for advice and feedback regarding bugfixes!)
    - Julius Caesar Salad (for the invaluable fix for Steam users)
    - The Europa Barbarorum Team (for their amazing unit skins and many Sabaean units)
    - Alin (for his help with permissions)
    - Julius Caesar Salad (for the invaluable fix for Steam users)

Feedback is greatly appreciated; with your feedback I can release better updates that fix any bugs or problems. PM me if you have any questions or problems with the mod!
    Last edited by Zipzopdippidybopbop; April 20, 2013 at 01:23 PM.