Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Eve Online

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

Default Eve Online

does anybody play it?
    i got a 14 day trial the other day and am still at the start of the tutorial.

all i can say so far is that its very pretty, very complex and very slow. i had fun though for reasons i dont even get. although all i learned so far is to navigate, fire at a pirate, slavage the wreck and dock to a port lol
    took me 1 hour to learn these very simple basics.

anyways did anybody play it more extensively then me so far and what your opinion on it?

Razvus's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Eve Online

as a side note, there are like 6 Eve topics that all start the same: "does anyone play it?".

but nvm that.

the trial doesn't cover 5% of what you can do in the game, so the rest is up to you. If you'll invest time into it you'll find more and more reasons to like it once you understand what a real pirate is and when you manage to kill one. but that can take months as the learning curve is huge and steep.

this can be the most frustrating game ever or the best MMO you experienced. it's all up to you. there are no tips on how to enjoy it more.
    No.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

I used to play it, and no longer have the time. It's one of those games I've said I'd go back to when I'm able, but never found the time to.

the time factor is acually my concern as well as it seems so slow. i kind of want to get into it but i have maybe 1h gaming time a day. i guess with that little time its pointless? i read that one can buy playtime with intime money instead of paying. how long does it take to be able to make enough intime money to not require paying the real fees anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Razvus View Post
    as a side note, there are like 6 Eve topics that all start the same: "does anyone play it?".

yeah right and then you post there an are called necro. this is the board of hard knocks..
    Last edited by Ahlerich; April 20, 2011 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahlerich View Post
    the time factor is acually my concern as well as it seems so slow. i kind of want to get into it but i have maybe 1h gaming time a day. i guess with that little time its pointless?
    1h a day seems like a waste for you tbh. I mean, you'll have to pull weights for a long time before you'll be able to have some fun out of it. 1h a day means you'll torture yourself with it for a long time. Skills are learned while you're offline but for money you still have to do tedious jobs most of the time. and without money you don't have ships or anything.

and if you're going to join a corp they'll all require you to be online for more than 1h and at certain times for ops and the like.

the stuff with the money I take it you're talking about paying your subscription fee with ingame money? That's true but you have to make a lot of ingame money to pull that off.
    No.

Ascarona's Avatar Praeses

I've always wanted to try EVE, but I'll have to get a better rig soon. Once the holiday starts I'll lock myself up in social lockdown and start playing it . I heard they're going to incorporate another type of game for consoles where your playing a soldier traveling with PC fleets and fighting console wars on planets. PC players can then support their console teams with orbital bombardments. I think it was called dust 500 or something, it's still in development.

yeah right and then you post there an are called necro. this is the board of hard knocks..
    'Tis true , on another side note you'll only be called a necro poster if the thread has been dead for about 9 months and you post a reply to a message with your own opinion of said message or another statement.

Asking a question about the game is perfectly fine, just ignore the retards calling you a necro in that situation.
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

Quote Originally Posted by Razvus View Post
    1h a day seems like a waste for you tbh. I mean, you'll have to pull weights for a long time before you'll be able to have some fun out of it. 1h a day means you'll torture yourself with it for a long time. Skills are learned while you're offline but for money you still have to do tedious jobs most of the time. and without money you don't have ships or anything.

and if you're going to join a corp they'll all require you to be online for more than 1h and at certain times for ops and the like.

the stuff with the money I take it you're talking about paying your subscription fee with ingame money? That's true but you have to make a lot of ingame money to pull that off.
    so those tedious jobs are not much fun then? meh i guess i ll skip it then. if it would be free of charge i d still play it for a while and see but paying monthly doesnt seem to make much sense in my case then.
    hmmmm maybe x3 again? i didnt get into it as the manual sucked and i had trouble getting the tutorial. are there similar complex space games that are trade/plot heavy with a smaler action aspect?
    Last edited by Ahlerich; April 20, 2011 at 08:39 AM.

so those tedious jobs are not much fun then?
    well doing missions is fun at first, but it's just "go there and shoot that" in the end. Mining? Yea, mining rocks in space is awesome right before you realize you're sitting down, pushing a button and sniffing imaginary dust in your cargohold. Other more profitable stuff means you have to leave the safe area and go into the wild-lands of 0.0. You need a corp to get there, plus lots of days spent on training... and even then everything is 50% chance of survival.

I played X3 and it was a lot of fun. It's the closest you'll ever get to Eve and that kind of feel. I learned playing it the hard way, with no manual or tutorial but once I did it was worth it. Granted, the only thing today preventing me from playing again is the exact same learning curve... but that's just me being lazy.
    No.

I just un-subscribed three accounts and returned to the game that got me hooked on gaming: Total War. It breaks my heart to un-sub from EVE Online, but after two years I have just realized that the direction CCP is going in is not in my interest. I don't give a hoot about "Walking-in-stations" (aka Captains Quaters) ... EVE is about smoking someones sorry ass in an intrawez spaceship ... or getting popped yourself. Introducing Spacebook and Space-Barbie has just alienated EVE to me. I hope they pick it up again after the DUST/Incarna fluke.

No, you can't have my stuffz
    Last edited by Gaiserix; June 16, 2011 at 11:32 PM.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I've always wanted to try out EVE purely because of the size of it.

My mate used to play it loads, so i started a game on it but then the bastard got engaged and his fiancé wouldn't let him go on his PC anymore because she spends all day on Facebook.
    So i gave up after a week!

Quote Originally Posted by RorySheen View Post
    I've always wanted to try out EVE purely because of the size of it.

My mate used to play it loads, so i started a game on it but then the bastard got engaged and his fiancé wouldn't let him go on his PC anymore because she spends all day on Facebook.
    So i gave up after a week!
    I don't know what is the most worrying: that you gave up on EVE because your mate left or that your m8's PC got invaded by Guristas GF

Your mate can probably convince his GF to play EVE. Recent releases has seen features like Farmville (i.e Planetary Interaction), Spacebook (i.e. EVE Gate and the failed new Forums ... lol), Space-barbie (i.e. new character creation) and INCARNA is being realeased on Tuesday: "Walking-in-a-single-room alone-for one-culture" (used to be Walking-in-stations) and the opportunity to by vanity items for RL $ ... hmmm (no other features worth mentioning.)

EVE used to be an epic game with so much challenge and depth ... it had my pulse on 200+ in some epic drunken fleet battles with 300 other pilots from across the world. Now it's getting nerfed to attract the console generation for their DUST 514 project. A project that most EVE vets don't give a about. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Highly looking forward to Incarna. The project deemed unable to ever to be released is finally coming in 2 days.
    Looking forward to see how they will develop the new technology, maybe the ability to walk around on the ship.
    Of course they need to get the rest of the stations open and all the features working before expanding.

Quote Originally Posted by TB666 View Post
    Highly looking forward to Incarna. The project deemed unable to ever to be released is finally coming in 2 days.
    Looking forward to see how they will develop the new technology, maybe the ability to walk around on the ship.
    Of course they need to get the rest of the stations open and all the features working before expanding.
    Have you checked it out on singularity? You'll be required to load the new station environment when docking ... Scotty just got a lot older and slower

Edit:
    btw: you get to walk around in ONE ROOM - no interaction with other players in station (it's an MMO for crying out loud!)
    General Discussion on EVE Online official forums (old version, so it actually works) here: http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard...channelID=3519

This Thread has an overview of the expansions: http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard...readID=1530737
    Last edited by Gaiserix; June 19, 2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: added a bit

No I have not.
    The second part of the expansion is suppose to come out by the end of the year.
    Plenty of time for CCP to fix any issues with it like they did with the character creation.

No I have not.
    The second part of the expansion is suppose to come out by the end of the year.
    Plenty of time for CCP to fix any issues with it like they did with the character creation.
    Soon(TM) has been the trade mark for CCP lately. I hope they succeed, but they will be iterating on the devlopments for the next few expansions, which pushes core fixes further out (i.e. the spaceship stuff).

Did they fix the Charactor creator already? I un-subbed 3 weeks ago and it was still screwed up then
    Last edited by Gaiserix; June 19, 2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: typo

Yes the character creation is fixed now and has been for quite some time now. CCP has everytime they have done a major fix to it allowed people to remake their characters and there haven't been one of those in quite a while and there were no bugs last time when I made my character.
    Personally I do not see anything wrong with the spaceship parts at the moment. Same as it has always been. But the lack of immersion has however always been one of Eve Online's major faults.
    You never feel like you are a pilot(which you are) and even the old character creation had quite the depth to it however there was no point to it.
    Finally there is a point to it and a good step to feel more into the world of Eve Online.
    I just hope they aren't putting all their eggs in one basket when it comes to stations and Dust. The stations need to have more then the interface for Dust.

Yes the character creation is fixed now and has been for quite some time now. CCP has everytime they have done a major fix to it allowed people to remake their characters and there haven't been one of those in quite a while and there were no bugs last time when I made my character.
    Personally I do not see anything wrong with the spaceship parts at the moment. Same as it has always been. But the lack of immersion has however always been one of Eve Online's major faults.
    You never feel like you are a pilot(which you are) and even the old character creation had quite the depth to it however there was no point to it.
    Finally there is a point to it and a good step to feel more into the world of Eve Online.
    I just hope they aren't putting all their eggs in one basket when it comes to stations and Dust. The stations need to have more then the interface for Dust.
    Sir, (just noticed your rank insignia )

I'm pleased that the Charactor Creator is fixed (only took three expansions and 4 patches to fix something that adds ZERO gameplay to paying customers).

I actually agree with you on immersion and role-play, I just think that there are serious issues that needs to be addressed first. These issues are widely and frequently discussed on the EVE forums (e.g. null-sec sov mechanics, balance rail guns, FW, low-sec, super-caps, mining, 4th bonus for assault-frigs etc etc etc) and these issues make players unsubscribe. It will be interesting to see if the net subscribers have increased or decreased after INCARNA.
    Last edited by Gaiserix; June 19, 2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo

Most of the stuff I have mentioned above is only applicable to capsuleers who venture into law-less space and/or focus on PVP action. While you can join the PVP action on day 1 (day 3 is probably safer ), then most new pilots live in HIGH-SECURITY space for a couple of months while climbing the learning curve (image in post on first page). After you basic training all options are open: Factional Warfare, Wormholes, missioning, industry, mining, pirating or just being a general ass-hat and gank, scam and ninja-salvage as your non-exsistent heart desires

If you are interested in EVE Online, then you can follow the alliance wars here: http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Querious

There is also a good monthly summary posted on eve-online.com

First rule of EVE: do not fly anything you can't afford to lose
    Second rule of EVE: do NOT fly anything you can't afford to lose
    Third rule of EVE: do not trust ANYONE - scamming and ripping off your RL friend in EVE is something to be proud of (remember to post it in Crime & Punishment, so we can share the lulz)

Fly safe young capsuleer
    Last edited by Gaiserix; June 19, 2011 at 11:50 AM.

Iw ould play this game but its too complicated. I liked the simplicity of Shadowbane with the same open PVP ruleset. Too many buttons to press + too much to know = not fun.

Too bad Shadowbane had 1998 graphics and was buggy as otherwise it may not have died and I still would be playing that game.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    Iw ould play this game but its too complicated. I liked the simplicity of Shadowbane with the same open PVP ruleset. Too many buttons to press + too much to know = not fun.

Too bad Shadowbane had 1998 graphics and was buggy as otherwise it may not have died and I still would be playing that game.
    PVP in EVE is actually quite simple - you only have to push the buttons on the modules you have on your ship, move your ship to optimal position and keep an eye on your surroundings i.e. local chat to make sure that your wicked ambush is not a death-trap

With a frigate-sized boat and guns grouped you only have afterburner/Microwarpdrive, guns, webber, scram and maybe an Armour Repairer (e.g. active Rifter) to operate.That is 4 modules i.e. 4 buttons to push. A Scorpion Battleship or a Super Carrier (e.g Nyx) is a different thing entirely.

Depth, immersion and challenge = fun .... but that's just my humble opinion

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast