Thread: [QUESTIONS] FAQ and Your Own

DrakeRox's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [QUESTIONS] FAQ and Your Own

About that loyalty mechanic, what are the ways to increase/decrease it? I think that it would be interesting to decrease it alot when you sack a settlement, and even more when you take back a settlement that was originally yours sacking it, since treason is such an awful thing in westeros

Do neutral or rebel settlements have their own unit types and skins?

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

EDIT: Pop goes the weasel
    Last edited by Iron Aquilifer; January 02, 2014 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriyaca View Post
    I am also a Bolton fan! :laugher:
    Gots to love Roose Bolton

All of you, come join me in Westeros Faction Wars, we need a Bolton victory for once! If I get a team and we all vote for Roosy, we should be able to win

WE WILL BE VICTORIUS
    not really a quote reply, but on your signature, are those words meant to represent the House words of House Bolton? If so, I believe that is incorrect, their words are "Our Blades are Sharp". sorry to be a nuisance bit of a ASOIF geek here :')

Hey, just wondering:
    1) Are there any plans to include the Golden Company or other sellsword companies from Essos?
    2) If yes, how will they be implemented, like normal vanilla M2TW mercenaries, or some form of event like thing?

P.S. so bloomin' glad that this mod isn't dead! Been playing as soon as I saw this (which is a while, before the log period of inactivity or may I say, The Long Night? )

House Stark FTW

1. Will the long winters or long summers play a role in-game? I.e. after a certain number of turns, will it permanently turn into winter for a considerable duration? Thereby slowing troop movements and limiting agriculture in every realm bar Dorne.
    2. What time in the books will the game start off in? At the beginning of the War of the Five Kings?

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Up Jumpshot View Post
    1. Will the long winters or long summers play a role in-game? I.e. after a certain number of turns, will it permanently turn into winter for a considerable duration? Thereby slowing troop movements and limiting agriculture in every realm bar Dorne.
    2. What time in the books will the game start off in? At the beginning of the War of the Five Kings?
    1) Already in game, seasons change for long periods of time (0.53 Alpha), so more likely than not will play a similar role in 1.0
    2) at the beginning of the War of the Five Kings, after Eddard Stark is killed I think (correct me if I am wrong?)

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Up Jumpshot View Post
    1. Didn't they already say that it will stay summer?

2. Beginning of Wot5K (when else )

I seriously hope the Golden Company is included, at least as a mercenary unit. Some of the artwork around the internet of the company look so bloomin cool, seeing them in total war would be awesome.

Hey, I know you won't port this to Rome 2, but imagine the Battle of the Blackwater. 'Nuff said

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

no GC, at least not in this version. they are busy in essos.

Alertoverlord's Avatar Domesticus

Could you add custom music to the mod ? it does not have to be from the TV version you could just use fan videos ?

Bryce Caron's Avatar Ordinarius

They are adding custom scores and music.

But on a different note, how much are we going to see the population differentiation between factions? I mean will the Reach/Tyrell's be able to clearly raise the most men without their economy collapsing? I don't mean just levies either, but a mix of them, Knights, regional/custom units, and the professional units on the roster. And so on and so forth.

How will the economies themselves differ? Will some factions need trade a lot more than others? Will some be inherently wealthy, and will others just not share that same blessing? Say perhaps the Lannister's being inherently wealthy, and the Starks needing to gain wealth through further conquest and trade?

Lastly, will this be a game of sieges for the most part, with you and the AI besieging and defending? Or will there be more field battles?

Thanks! Stannis preview looks great. Got a new machine to run this on, and I'm psyched to be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerold Dayne View Post
    They are adding custom scores and music.

But on a different note, how much are we going to see the population differentiation between factions? I mean will the Reach/Tyrell's be able to clearly raise the most men without their economy collapsing? I don't mean just levies either, but a mix of them, Knights, regional/custom units, and the professional units on the roster. And so on and so forth.

How will the economies themselves differ? Will some factions need trade a lot more than others? Will some be inherently wealthy, and will others just not share that same blessing? Say perhaps the Lannister's being inherently wealthy, and the Starks needing to gain wealth through further conquest and trade?

Lastly, will this be a game of sieges for the most part, with you and the AI besieging and defending? Or will there be more field battles?

Thanks! Stannis preview looks great. Got a new machine to run this on, and I'm psyched to be back.
    The way I imagine it, is that if you follow the lore, each faction actually has a lot of its own advantages.

The Northern factions are holed up in the, well, North; incredibly hard territory to invade and take over.
    Iron Island factions have easy access to loosely defended Westerlands, plus complete dominance by sea. One tweak here would be to make travel by sea much quicker.
    The Lannisters/Westerlands have all that access to gold, plus start allied to the King.
    Tyrell and Hightowers have the advantages of population/numbers.
    Vale factions are like the North; very hard to attack the Vale.
    Stormland factions are well-defended and start off with several alliances.
    Dorne factions are again, very hard to invade.

Where it gets dicey, is how you divy the remaining factions up. If you group Darry, Tully, Frey, Mooton, etc. into one faction, then that faction gets many economically strong provinces that very centrally located. If you break them up, it gets harder to mount a significant offense or defense. The Joffrey faction is at an inherent disadvantage...it holds Kings Landing, but it is being attacked from all sides. The Stannis faction is also at a big disadvantage...though Dragonstone is a great base of operations. Enhanced gets around this by having many of Renly's troops switch to Stannis IIRC.

Korpskog's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by anime333 View Post
    Where it gets dicey, is how you divy the remaining factions up. If you group Darry, Tully, Frey, Mooton, etc. into one faction, then that faction gets many economically strong provinces that very centrally located. If you break them up, it gets harder to mount a significant offense or defense.
    Why House Mooton?
    "Får jag kalla dig Bajen? Det är lättare att komma ihåg..."

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

why the heck would we have several riverland factions?

The economies will be balanced according to the books; So you will see rich lannisters and relatively poor northmen and ironborn. Income and recruitment are both tied heavily to the fertility of the region; As a rule fertile areas produce more money and one can recruit more troops there.

So the reach will be able to field the most troops. Each faction will also start with a lore accurate number of troops (Albeit scaled down) which it can support- but in order to comfortably hire more soldiers one needs to raid, trade or expand.

The economies differ between the factions, also according to the fertility of their lands.
    The Ironborn are perhaps the faction with the most different economy; They are heavily geared towards raiding, until they manage to claim a solid foothold on the mainland.

Of special interest to the economy are also the few great towns of westeros- Like Kings Landing, Oldtown or Gulltown- Those are fat cash cows.

Sieges will be an integral part of the mod. Also, because there are more towns and castles sieges will be fought more often than in the vanilla game. Siege battles can be weird and boring, but we try to offer a good balance between field and siege battles- Oh, and we are also optimizing the siege battles in order to make them less stupid than in vanilla. I say nothing more.

@anime

Frey and Tully will be separate factions. You also seem to assume that we will split some factions in smaller factions, but this won`t be done for various reasons.

Main reason: Factions will only attack neigbours..
    And besides it would be an huge workload. I`m pretty sure that some sub-modder will eventually add more factions, though.
    Last edited by Lordinquisitor; January 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM.

Thats good to hear. On another note, will most armies be made up of about half levies with the other half professional troops? I imagine the Arryn's and Stark's having a harder time raising fully-professional armies. That being said, levies make good placeholders, I'm hoping. If used correctly anyways.

Thanks for the response Lord!

Quote Originally Posted by Korpskog View Post
    Why House Mooton?
    Just a random riverland house...

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    why the heck would we have several riverland factions?
    Why not? Numerous mods have done it; it adheres to lore. The Frey's obviously differ from their liege lords. The Darrys are very sympathetic to the Targs. Blackwood/Brackens abhor each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordinquisitor View Post
    The economies will be balanced according to the books; So you will see rich lannisters and relatively poor northmen and ironborn. Income and recruitment are both tied heavily to the fertility of the region; As a rule fertile areas produce more money and one can recruit more troops there.
    Having played a couple of mods and submods, I generally find that the Lannisters tend to be easier to play...however, you are exposed from all sides, especially if the Northerners start right at your doorstep. It all depends on the setup. In a game where you start off without the Crag/Greenfield/Castamere, Jamie captured, and practically everyone your sworn enemy, it should be incredibly difficult. Starting at a point before the WOT5K, it is easier; if you start after the BOTBW, it should presumably be a cakewalk.

Another note: in general, combining the Lannister + Joffrey factions tends to create too strong of a faction...however, by itself and alone, the Joffrey faction is a pushover (easier in a game with certain scripted events). Obviously, the allies do a terrible job coming to your aid.

So the reach will be able to field the most troops. Each faction will also start with a lore accurate number of troops (Albeit scaled down) which it can support- but in order to comfortably hire more soldiers one needs to raid, trade or expand.
    Yeah. Can you imagine 80,000 reachmen? That would be like 40 full stacks!

The economies differ between the factions, also according to the fertility of their lands.
    The Ironborn are perhaps the faction with the most different economy; They are heavily geared towards raiding, until they manage to claim a solid foothold on the mainland.
    Would they have a limited economy...like the Gauls in RTW? A way to compensate would be give huge bonuses to this faction when they sack or assimilate a settlement. Greyjoy is the one faction I haven't really played..

Frey and Tully will be separate factions. You also seem to assume that we will split some factions in smaller factions, but this won`t be done for various reasons.

Main reason: Factions will only attack neigbours..
    And besides it would be an huge workload. I`m pretty sure that some sub-modder will eventually add more factions, though.
    I was warned that this would happen, but it really hasn't. In Fire and Blood (the submod), if you play the WOT5K version, the factions really don't attack each other, as long as they are all start properly allied with each other. I've played for over 200 turns, and so far, the only betrayal has been the Daynes taking on House Martell, and that's probably because of my own poor coding. In my other playthrough, through ~100 turns, nothing at all. In the regular version, with the Targ invasion, there is more backstabbing due to the "declaration" feature.

To your point, though, the one thing missing is that allies don't help each other. Tully's twiddle their thumbs when their bannermen are conquered, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerold Dayne View Post
    Thats good to hear. On another note, will most armies be made up of about half levies with the other half professional troops? I imagine the Arryn's and Stark's having a harder time raising fully-professional armies. That being said, levies make good placeholders, I'm hoping. If used correctly anyways.

Thanks for the response Lord!
    I feel like a huge, huge advantage of the Vale and North playthrough is the location. Every mod I've played has made it very hard to penetrate the North and the Vale...yeah, it is very tough to build and grow, but very easy to not shrink.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Yeeeaaah, I don't think anyone would want to wait another 5 years for the units for all the houses you want are finished, so why not just leave it at Tully and Frey? Hey, when the thing is released you can always make a submod with all the houses you want if you like.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Yeah, to me it doesn't make sense to have that many factions in the Riverlands. The Tully's need all of the minor houses under them they can get, to defend from the Lannisters, Joffrey, possibly Stannis, The Freys, and Arryn's or Starks. Splitting them up would just make them that much easier to take out, and that much harder to play.

Besides, minor factions are just placeholders and they don't make for much fun to play in the middle of a war with eight much larger factions.