Thread: Naval Museum Tour UK/UP

Zaar's Avatar Semisalis

Default Naval Museum Tour UK/UP

Hidiho there,

i am planning to get to London late this Month and i would like to visit some great Naval Museums and since here is the right place where people know what theyīre talking about i would love to get some ideas where to go? while checking the search tools it is too common to let look everything so great but when i took a day to get there it turns out that all is a little bit smaller if there at all.
    i hate commercials on TV (the reason i donīt have TV for the last 18years) and its all now on the internet.
    to make a short question short
    do you have personal experience with great places to go!?!
    Around London even Manchester AND maybe on the way back to Germany i could make a visit in Holland.

Thanks in advance and take care

Zaaroverandout

ps: i hope i didnīt miss any similar threads which i was looking for

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

Default Re: Naval Museum Tour UK/UP

Greenwich and Portsmouth are the places you want to go, though the Imperial War Museum in London has some naval stuff in it (2 15 inchers outside the museum itself). There's also HMS Belfast on the Thames and a replica of the Golden Hinde nearby.

If you want to broaden your outlook, going to Bristol will allow you to go on the Great Britain (I think, or is it Great Eastern), anyway, a Victorian steamship - I think the biggest vessel made at the time.

Portsmouth has HMS Victory from Trafalgar and HMS Warrior - the first iron warship constructed. Amazing ship to view. Might be some other naval vessels there too.

That'll do for starters!

Portsmouth is where it's at, you can even see a lot of our current fleet in the port and maybe the new type 45

Zaar's Avatar Semisalis

Great, thanks a lot for the inspiration
    yes, portsmouth , i exchanged it with plymoth where the webside said itīs closed
    that is a good starter and i guess iīll find something else for the other days i am on the island

thank you both +rep

If you go to Portsmouth, check out "Action Stations" at the Portsmouth Historical Dockyard

Also there are the Mary Rose, HMS Victory, and some other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Major Darling View Post
    If you go to Portsmouth, check out "Action Stations" at the Portsmouth Historical Dockyard

Also there are the Mary Rose, HMS Victory, and some other stuff
    The HMS Victory was awesome when i went and so was what is left of the Mary Rose, but I dont think you can see the Mary Rose atm due to them building it a new home.

However i would still reccomend you go to Portsmouth Zaar if you are interested in naval history, as it should have a lot of museums and whatnot there.

"The future's uncertain And the end is always near."