Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Call of Warhammer Revamp; new map, models, units and more (Released for 1.4.4)

Default Re: Call of Warhammer Revamp; new map, models, units and more (Released for 1.4.4)

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    thank you that would be really awesome
    like i said i didnt really have time so maybe i was doing something with it and halfway i never got the chance to finish and forgot about it.
    but one thing about Dark Elves that i was researching when making my EDU
    Hm, that's a good point. I seem to have based them too much on my knowledge of Eldar and the high Elves (high elves appaerently have some of the best armorsmiths)

I'm a bit concerned over their survivability though. They are hard to train and hard to retrain, if I read correctly (only in ports, right?) I think Ill change the armor value of the spears and warriors to the one which you gave them, but up their defence skill a bit to show this agility. I'm also gonna take a look at the movement speed mod, I faintly remember that being 1.1, the same as humans and stuff. I think I'd up that to 1.2 for those with low armor, and 1.3 for those with higher armor values (a cut off of 5 or something?)

I'm also going to take a look at your vampires. I greatly buffed them when playing as them at the cost of unit size, they were too weak, not even worth half their money. Quite interested to see how you solved that, I might have made them borderline overpowered
    I salute those who took the Hungarian Phrasebook simply because of the quote!

Default Re: Call of Warhammer Revamp; new map, models, units and more (Released for 1.4.4)

i am not very satisfied with Vampires and i hardly touched border princes and kislev, il get to them one day though

i am not very satisfied with Vampires and i hardly touched border princes and kislev, il get to them one day though
    What I did with vampires was give zombies 2 hp to make them a bit better at meatshielding. I didn't change anything else, nor did I change any other unit except the vampires. I see you did pretty much the same, except the zombie thing. (btw, the skeleton and zombie weapons are listed as melee_simple, you could change them to melee_blade so you can upgrade them. I did that, since you can let a skeleton keep his old rusty sword from his coffin or a shiny new sword )

Anyway, the things I did touch were the vampires. I gave them 3 HP and reduced the size of every unit (except mounted bodyguard) by a fifth. At huge size this gives about 40 mounted vampires and 100 dismounted
    The Carsteins recieved an increase of defence skill by 5, and a shield value of 5, but I removed all armor on the dismounted version and gave the mounted version an armor value of 2.(total defense value is 20, 22 for mounted) This means they are quite resilient, especially when combined with the 3 HP, except when surrounded or attacked by arrows, since the majority of their defence comes from defence skill, which (like dodging) is useless when you can't see an attack coming. Due to their superhuman speed and reflexes I gave them the shield value of 5, which gives them extra defense against arrows from the front, since they should be able to dodge or parry a few of them.
    Blood Dragons got an armor value of 15, a defense skill of 10 and a shield value of 3 for a total of 28 defense. This isn't much higher then Carsteins, but with a key difference: Their defense and shield value is a third lower, instead they have a high armor value. The heavy armor restricts their movement, but offers more protection against blows from behind and arrows.

finally, for attack I gave the Carsteins 16 and the Blood Dragons 21 and ap. The greatswords of the blood dragons and superhuman strength allows them to smash through armor.

This makes vampires extremely strong, but few in numbers, more or less as they should be in my opinion. Hope you can find some use in my feedback

Modding Kislev would be fun, I think. Bear cavalry!

Bah, it seems to be incompatible. It crashes about 2 seconds into startup, cannot get it to work.

Pity, the hydra unit would have been awesome, as well as the knights. I'm gonna reinstall I guess, and try to decide which of the two mods I'm gonna play with. I'll play with your EDU regardless of which one I choose, so at least the feedback on units would still be possible.

Error log is included, in case anyone who knows more about this stuff knows a solution
    Last edited by Elitewolf; August 22, 2011 at 11:18 AM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

That was easy, do I get a cookie?:

18:10:06.896 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Call_of_Warhammer/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 11289, column 1
    Could not find soldier battle model for unit type 'dismounted_Black_guard_morr'.
    The "soldier" entry for this unit in the EDU hasn't got a corresponding entry in the modeldb file.
    Check the spelling in both files.

Edit: there is a missing skeleton (animation) as well for this unit, but that isn't fatal. It might cause a crash in battle, but I am not sure.
    18:10:06.873 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Call_of_Warhammer/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 217, column 1
    Missing skeleton for secondary weapon in model type 'Black_guard_morr', used by unit 'Black guard Morr bodyguard'.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 22, 2011 at 11:49 AM.

sheba021's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Elitewolf View Post
    Bah, it seems to be incompatible. It crashes about 2 seconds into startup, cannot get it to work.

Pity, the hydra unit would have been awesome, as well as the knights. I'm gonna reinstall I guess, and try to decide which of the two mods I'm gonna play with. I'll play with your EDU regardless of which one I choose, so at least the feedback on units would still be possible.

Error log is included, in case anyone who knows more about this stuff knows a solution
    It works fine for me, I never had that error.
    Last edited by sheba021; August 22, 2011 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sheba021 View Post
    It works fine for me, I never had that error.
    I added another mod into this, with some extra descriptions and other dark elf stuff, and a hydra. Something doesnt work in there

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    That was easy, do I get a cookie?:

The "soldier" entry for this unit in the EDU hasn't got a corresponding entry in the modeldb file.
    Check the spelling in both files.

Edit: there is a missing skeleton (animation) as well for this unit, but that isn't fatal. It might cause a crash in battle, but I am not sure.
    That's what causes the crash? It seems so simple D: I've had missing models before, but those only crashes the game in battle. And a missing entry in campaign script.

Hm, so all I have to do to make the two compatible is add the knight battle model to the modeldb? How exactly do I do that? I overwrote the battlemodel file with the Dark elf battlemodel file, since both add models. What program do I need to open the file?

Oh, and you definitely get a cookie! You're a tremendous help

EDIT: Notepad opens the file, apparently. I'll add the entries and see if it works. Any idea how to fix the skeleton?
    Last edited by Elitewolf; August 22, 2011 at 12:55 PM.

Blog Entries

battlemodel.modeldb opens with notepad.

You might want to rethink the "all I have to do to.." after you have opened the file.

The "soldier" entry in the EDU points to the entry in the modeldb. You should have that entry in the previous modeldb, a simple copy and paste at the bottom should do. Don't forget to increase the count number in the first line of the modeldb for each model (upgrades count as model), sample:

22 serialization::archive 3 0 0 0 0 868 0 0

You obviously will have to have all the meshes and textures in place that are referenced in that model entry of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    battlemodel.modeldb opens with notepad.

You might want to rethink the "all I have to do to.." after you have opened the file.

The "soldier" entry in the EDU points to the entry in the modeldb. You should have that entry in the previous modeldb, a simple copy and paste at the bottom should do. Don't forget to increase the count number in the first line of the modeldb for each model (upgrades count as model), sample:

22 serialization::archive 3 0 0 0 0 868 0 0

You obviously will have to have all the meshes and textures in place that are referenced in that model entry of yours.
    Oh dear, was that normal English? And I just opened the file. I need to learn to keep my mouth shut.

Bah, I'm messing around with this AND getting this to work. I'll look around.

8 extra units, no special upgrade models or upgrades. So add 8 to the number?
    Last edited by Elitewolf; August 22, 2011 at 01:04 PM.

Spoiler for this is 10 models right? Or am I just crazy?
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    9 war_hydra
    2 1
    69 unit_models/_units/warhammer/Dark_elf/mount/hydra/war_hydra_lod0.mesh 40000
    7 mongols
    72 unit_models/_units/warhammer/Dark_elf/mount/hydra/textures/hydra.texture
    79 unit_models/_units/warhammer/Dark_elf/mount/hydra/textures/hydra_normal.texture
    46 unit_sprites/denmark_mount_elephant_sprite.spr
    5 slave
    79 unit_models/_units/warhammer/Dark_elf/mount/hydra/textures/hydra_normal.texture
    7 england
    7 mongols
    79 unit_models/_units/warhammer/Dark_elf/mount/hydra/textures/hydra_normal.texture 0
    5 slave
    79 unit_models/_units/warhammer/Dark_elf/mount/hydra/textures/hydra_normal.texture 0
    7 england
    8 elephant
    15 Warhammer_hydra 0
    0 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 0
    10 fire_hydra
    1 1
    48 unit_models/_Units/warhammer/None/None_lod0.mesh 6400
    5 moors
    55 unit_models/_Units/warhammer/None/textures/None.texture
    62 unit_models/_Units/warhammer/None/textures/None_normal.texture
    5 egypt
    62 unit_models/_Units/warhammer/None/textures/None_normal.texture
    5 moors
    62 unit_models/_Units/warhammer/None/textures/None_normal.texture 0
    5 egypt
    62 unit_models/_Units/warhammer/None/textures/None_normal.texture 0
    4 None
    12 MTW2_Javelin
    22 Warhammer_Double_Sword
    20 MTW2_Javelin_primary
    14 fs_test_shield
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary
    14 fs_test_shield
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

The last line of the log keeps on being like this:
    found mods:**blahblah**battle_models.modelsDB
    unspecified error. game will now exit.

Now, I counted, and there are 10 sets of textures and stuff there, so 10 models, right? this is what I added under the last line of Toho's modeldb. So I added 10 to the number on top, raising it from 793 to 803. It crashes, I raised it to 813, it crashes. Same thing in the log, every time.

EDIT! I edited the number to a lower number, so it wouldn't check. It now loads the splash screen and then crashes. More importantly, I have a new log file! One which confuses me even more. Every model and texture is in the data file. I copied the hydra entry into toho's modeldb. It still gives the same damn error.
    Last edited by Elitewolf; August 22, 2011 at 01:35 PM.

BMDB editing is the enemy of humanity and the world, each time someone opens up a BMDB file a kitten strangles itself to death, that is why i just took reiksfart bmdb, if you fix the bmdb 99% of adding the hydra is done, the next step is just take the mesh file from TWmadman's submod and put it in the designated folder that the bmdb entry is pointing at, then simple enter the EDU and EDB entries so you can recruit the unit in game. in short fix BDMB and you should be pretty much done but that kitten's blood is on your hands....

edit:
    oh and dont forget the mod forums there are a lot of savvy guys that can definitely help you out, like Ishan.
    and elite wolf send over your EDU so i can test out the new additions, i recently came back from a surgery and i will be bed ridden for a week or so...don't worry its nothing serious just troublesome, really troublesome.
    Last edited by Toho; August 22, 2011 at 07:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tsun Tzu ?
    Know your opponents inner workings and you have made the first step to overcoming him
    Your spoiler contains two models:

1. war_hydra
    2. fire_hydra

The first one is a mounted unit (elephant) and it's entry ends with "0 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 0"
    The second is a regular unit and it's entry ends with "16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002"
    You mixed up texture entries with the actual 'model entry' - in this case you added two models.

The above model names have to appear in the 'soldier' line of the EDU entry of the unit (or in the 'upgrade' line if it is supposed to be an upgrade).

The below error in your log could have two reasons:

1. The model entry for that unit is missing
    2. The total count number on top of modeldb is lower then the actual models and cuts of the file processing before this unit model is reached.

20:33:21.393 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Call_of_Warhammer/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 459, column 1
    Could not find soldier battle model for unit type 'Knight_wolf_mounted'.
    oh and dont forget the mod forums there are a lot of savvy guys that can definitely help you out, like Ishan.
    That is correct, general questions like this have a higher chance of getting responses in those forums (and Ishan learned well from me )
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 23, 2011 at 12:39 AM.

Tweaking the EDU right now, will send it when done.

I changed all elven units, both high and dark, to have a movement speed mod of 1.2 (free company has 1.1, and they're humans) elven units with an armor value of 5 or less get 1.3. (this means dark elves are lightly armored mostly, but incredibly fast. They can get in melee quickly, but will suffer A LOT if they don't)

For the dark elves, I lowered the armor value to 5 for spearmen and warriors, so they retain their speed. Spears are good defensive weapons, so they get a defense value of 7 and a shield value of 5, swordsmen get a defense and shield value of 6 and 4, one lower each, because a sword is less of a defensive weapon. However, to offset this they gain an attack of 3 higher and a charge value of 2 higher, making them less defensive then spears, and more capable of damaging infantry. You'll want to hold the line with spearman and use the warriors to lay on the damage (even though the difference isn't that big)
    swordsmen and spearmen are your basic line-holding infantry, with one being more defensive then the other.

Corsairs were inferior to warriors in every way, having an attack of one higher but a total defence of 5 points lower, plus they barely had armor. I changed this. They have a significantly higher attack value (20, charge 12 against 14, charge 10) and a defense value which is 1 point higher, 16. There is a key difference though: 12 of the 16 defense points from the corsairs come from defense skill, with a shield and armor value of 2. This means that they will get absolutely murdered by arrows and attacks from behind, but have some staying power in melee. They, even more then other elves, are fast but fragile.
    Corsairs are basic damage dealers

Executioners remain relatively unchanged compared to yours, only bumping up their movement speed to 1.2 due to their armor value of 10. I also lowered their defence skill to 10, since they aren't nearly as nimble as corsairs, but much better trained.
    Executioners are elite damage dealers

Black guard recieved the same change in movement speed. Their armour was raised to 14, giving them a defense of 6 points higher then executioners, but a lower attack.
    They are your elite defensive infantry, and elite anti-cav

Crossbowmen have recieved an armor value of 7, but a defense value of 3. They are more heavily armored, since they don't have to get as close and move as quickly as the other dark elves, but they are less trained in defending themselves. movement speed mod of 1.2
    (should they have ap? They don't have it but they do have crossbows)

Dark riders have an armor value of 6, and a defense of 8. Their movement speed is 1.3. I changed ellyrian reaves, their high elf counterpart, to have an armor value of 9 and a defence of 7, and a speed of 1.2. Like most of the counterparts, reavers have better armor but are slower.

Next unit I changed was witch elves. To change them, I changed daemonettes speed to 1.4 (and also the mounted version to 1.3, was 1.1, slower then some horses)
    I gave these elves a move_mod of 1.3, an attack of 22 (charge 12) and a defense skill of 15 (for a total of 16)
    They are less fragile then corsairs and insanely fast, and can lay on even more damage, but they are still vulnerable to arrows. They're crazy and willing enough to get in close combat before anyone else, but you're going to want to support them because they will still die very fast when surrounded.

Assassins were sped up to 1.3. I gave them armor piercing, since their poisoned daggers will kill you on even the tiniest scratch. I did lower their their missile attack value a bit to even things out.
    Assassins are medium-short ranged killing machines. Keep them out of combat but within throwing range, and watch even the most heavily armored unit succumb to small poisoned wounds.

I also replaced the reaper bolt thrower with the DEE enhanced version and added the hydra, but I reverted those changes for you. I dunno if you need permission for the copied reaper entry, and the hydra doesn't work anyway, even with the required textures

I'll post a topic for that on the modding help forum, I'll get back to ya when it works and I can start testing.

One last thing: I changed the vampires a final time, halving their unit size. They are insanely powerful, but few in number. I did increase the bodyguard size from 6 to 8, it was just pathetic as it was now. They are also fast: Carsteins have a movement mod of 1.4, blood dragons 1.3. You're not going to like fighting them, I think.

Now for the really stupid thing: I have no idea what the effect of the movement speed mod is. I'm relatively sure it increases movement speed, but I wouldn't know by how much. So witch elves, daemonettes and carsteins miiight move ridiculously fast. I'd test it, if only the damned game would stop crashing for once. On the other hand: They're supposed to be ridiculously fast.

EDIT: This post turned out to be quite long. And it took me an hour to type. Dayum, this modding stuff eats up your time and all I'm doing it modding the EDU. No wonder updates for major mods take so long! D:
    Last edited by Elitewolf; August 23, 2011 at 05:52 AM.

I tried using that file, and the mod crashed a few seconds into the initial loading screen. This has been the result of every other attempted replacing of the export_descr_units and export_descr_buildings files in my mod's Data folder each and every time I've tried to install this mod. Am I doing something wrong? Would someone kindly offer advice?

cool sounds fun il start playing then but make sure when ever you are editing the EDU to do it relatively compared to all the factions in summery this is how it is suppose to look like for all factions:
    (all of these factions use empire as their base)
    High Elves- over all better core infantry but not as highly numbered, extremely powerful elite units but very low in number.
    Dark Elves- over all better core infantry but not as highly numbered, the dark elves have more defense skills to defend themselves than actual armor (Dark Elves Spearmen & Warriors are an exception)
    Dwarves- over all much better armor than all other factions and benefit a slightly better offensive power, elite dwarf units also benefit a high attack & defense that rivals the elves best(lower their attack&defense slightly but add in more health) but once again these units are very low in number.
    Vampire- extremely powerful elite units but extremely weak core units however these core units have more health and numbers than other core units other faction have, this makes them more harder to kill.
    Chaos- champion elites who can match the elves super elites, warrios of chaos who's armor and offensive power matchs the empire's knights, barbarians who have a high attack but an extremely low armor, high in numbers.
    Empire- mediocre provincial troops in both attack and defense but elite heavy cavalry, gunpowder and knights makes sure that those mediocre provincial infantry is the anvil and your elites and guns are the hammer
    Orc- extremely mediocre goblin units that serve as meat shields, all core units (orc and goblin) are high in numbers, the orc armor is extremely low however they make up for their defense in skills, orc blackrock elites have great armor & skills to be deadly to any other factions elite.
    Kislev- *no idea*
    Border Prince- *no idea*

this is what i was aiming for

Quote Originally Posted by Kvaccian View Post
    I tried using that file, and the mod crashed a few seconds into the initial loading screen. This has been the result of every other attempted replacing of the export_descr_units and export_descr_buildings files in my mod's Data folder each and every time I've tried to install this mod. Am I doing something wrong? Would someone kindly offer advice?
    did u download everything in order? Download Link -> 1.5 -> 1.6 -> EDU installation
    Last edited by Toho; August 23, 2011 at 10:00 AM.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I had in mind as well. Although I'd add that the dark elves exchange the armor for speed and attack.

All in all, except with the vampires, I only changed the attack and defense stats, leaving the numbers as they were. I tried to keep the total attack or defense about as high as you had it, dunno if I succeeded there though

Yes, I just reinstalled it in that order and it still won't work. It goes to the mod's start-up loading screen and crashes a few seconds later. My desktop cursor is visible and can be moved the entire time too. There is no error message, it just shuts down. I know for sure that the problem is with both export_descr files because I made backups of the originals and after installing everything else those two files are the only things that, when put where they're supposed to go, crash my game. Please, I really would like to play this fantastic-looking mod. Any advice?

do you have a clean 1.4.4 english CoW installed? maybe you have a submod installed and that is conflicting with my own submod. if not then this is pretty wierd, are you sure you downloaded 1.6 fix into your data folder and the EDU(vanilla or edited) dont forget to rename so it replaces you current one.
    Last edited by Toho; August 23, 2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: synthax

Also Kvaccian, don't forget to upload your error log! It's a real help in fixing these problems