Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: [OT] Whats your family Coat of arms and motto? :)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Whats your family Coat of arms and motto? :)

There are coat of arms in Finland and Russia.
    I'm finnish.

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

Not saying there isn't any, but I think it's more widespread someplaces, like the UK and especially ireland/scotland, than others, it is atleast not a common thing amongst the people I've met..

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

I have a strange name, Haldon, so unfortunately no coat of arms. However, for the Anglicised version of my name, there is this:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Motto: Nec temere nec timide (neither rashly or timidly).

Pretty cool crest!

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

My own crest with motto, Clan Grant:

Last edited by Inarus; November 21, 2011 at 11:51 AM.

Prophet1331's Avatar Ducenarius

Damn I'm jealous, I wish my family had a motto and sigil. Really cool guys.

Meh, if I think about it I'm more of a wildling myself
    Some battles are won with swords and spears, others with quills and ravens. Tywin Lannister

tonymurphy1888's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by LYNCHY View Post
    Words: Semper Fidelis + Murphy where u get your Signature
    Some dude made it for me in some thread, probably the least helpful statement ever but its all i got man my bad
    Yes, friends, governments in capitalist society are but committees of the rich to manage the affairs of the capitalist class.
    -James Connolly

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Name: Turnbull
    Meaning of Name: Stubborn and Bold (enough to, for example, turn a bull mid charge lol)
    Place of Origin: Scotland
    Motto: I Saved the King
    Heraldry: Between one and three black bulls with green horns, usually on a grey/white backround

As an American Turnbull, I can't claim a terribly strong line of lineage to William, the first Turnbull, but I take pride in the names meaning, which comes with a story.

According to the story, William of Rule saved King Robert the Bruce from a raging bull by turning the charge away from the king and wrestling the bull to the ground. Duly grateful, Robert gave William lands and the name "Turnebull." The "e" was eventually dropped, at least by my spin-off of the family. I think there's even a Scottish children's book about the story. All in all, I try to do the name justice.

MagUidir's Avatar Biarchus
    a little bit every where. from Tennessee but now Live in California.

this is mine... the latin translation is "justice and fortitude are invincible"

i dont really like it bc its kinda weird bc its just a dude on a horse... lame but badass family motto though!
    Last edited by MagUidir; November 25, 2011 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MagUidir View Post

this is mine... the latin translation is "justice and fortitude are invincible"

i dont really like it bc its kinda weird bc its just a dude on a horse... lame but badass family motto though!
    Are you kidding, any Coat of Arms that includes recursion is awesome in my book.
    Leading House Lannister in Yet another Hotseat

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Honstly I think all now in these days, is entitled to have their own coat of arms, with out birthrights and so on and on.
    So here is my little one ^^
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/526/coat3.jpg/
    Motto "The night approach".
    as in death comes to all who stands in their way, or as the Coat of arms shows, all days ends with a sundown, circle of life.
    Cant make the direct link to work =/
    Last edited by Karnil Vark Khaitan; November 26, 2011 at 03:19 PM.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

My father's father's family.

Phipps.
    It's words are something about "Virtue in Rest."
    We actually have a framed variation of it, and on the back it traces the line from my great grandfather back
    to the brother of a Sir William Phips (back then only 1 "p" was used). William had no children of his own blood, as he adopted,
    so his younger brother John inherited. He was nicknamed "The New England Knight."
    Here's his Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_William_Phipps

We have a running joke that his brother was a clumsy ne'er-do-well compared to William,
    and so explains why a once noble, robust family of knights came to develop into clumsy fools.

My father's mother's family.

Burke
    One faith, one king, one law.
    A very large family from Ireland. I'm sure most of you recognize it.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; August 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM.

Name: Greaney(Gaelic: O'Gráinne)
    History: Possibly descended from the Anglicized form of the Gaelic Mag Raighne 'son of Raighne'
    Motto: unknown
    Place of origin: Ireland

I have thought long and hard about this.

A mailed hand balled into a fist, with the middle finger extended. A swan or two in the background.

That or an armoured chicken sat upon a horse.

Couldn't find an image of either.

Also, turns out my family motto is "Virtue and Clarity".

Speaking of mottoes, I came up with a better one for the US: "Liberty and Justice for All".
    Commanding House Stark of Winterfell in This Is A Hotseat and in The requested hotseat
    Commanding House Lannister of Casterly Rock in Yet again another hotseat
    Commanding House Tully of Riverrun in New Enhanced Hotseat
    Commanding House Tyrell of Highgarden in This Is Most Definitely A Hotseat
    Commanding House Greyjoy of Pyke in War Of The Throne
    Commanding House Arryn of the Eyrie in Westeros At War

This is the Coat of Arms from my Father's side, the Coat of Arms is of the Buttigieg family, the word BU means Owner and TIGIEG means chicken's, so put it together it comes owner of chickens. It's origin's is from Sicily, which the word itself is in Arabic-Sicilian.

On top it has 3 stars, most probably representing the Star of David (Most probably i had jews in my Family) , the chicken is representing Nobility and the barrel sadly if have no clue about it.
    There's nothing to fear but fear itself...

jacb547's Avatar Primicerius

From my father side is this
    Im dont know if I am from an important branch It is a Portguese/Brazilian house.And war heroes(Or was that my mother side I dont know)But with I am from an important branch as my grandfather says i would be the 4 in line of sucession
    Anyway the name is House Barroso
    I dont know the motto....
    From my mother house i descent from some Desceased half Nobles that did pretty much anything in history.

And tought i descend from some Irish clan that i cannot name.

House Farren.....Black Lion, words are Never Surrender

">

My Dad's side of the family is almost impossible to find information on. We sort of just appear around Ireland and Britain in the 1800s. My theory is we're an offshoot of another family with a similar name. In any case, this is my Mum's side of the family and their crest, so I guess half-mine as well? If I was in Westeros this'd be what I'd fight under, anyway.

Not particularly awesome-looking, but the Irish that Galvin derives from ("Geal" meaning "Bright" and "Bán" meaning "White") and the symbolism (fish represent someone of a noble nature, a red field generally implies martial capability, or so I'm informed) are pretty cool. Also; my Mum's family fought at the Battle of Corcomroe in the 1300s and my Great-grandad on my Dad's side supposedly fought in the 1916 Rising, so we've got some warrior blood! Also, I suppose technically we're Tullys?
    Last edited by Descartes; December 01, 2011 at 06:32 AM.

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Quote Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
    ">

My Dad's side of the family is almost impossible to find information on. We sort of just appear around Ireland and Britain in the 1800s. My theory is we're an offshoot of another family with a similar name. In any case, this is my Mum's side of the family and their crest, so I guess half-mine as well? If I was in Westeros this'd be what I'd fight under, anyway.

Not particularly awesome-looking, but the Irish that Galvin derives from ("Geal" meaning "Bright" and "Bán" meaning "White") and the symbolism (fish represent someone of a noble nature, a red field generally implies martial capability, or so I'm informed) are pretty cool. Also; my Mum's family fought at the Battle of Corcomroe in the 1300s and my Great-grandad on my Dad's side supposedly fought in the 1916 Rising, so we've got some warrior blood! Also, I suppose technically we're Tullys?
    a tully if ever i saw one