Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: [OT] Whats your family Coat of arms and motto? :)

Prophet1331's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Whats your family Coat of arms and motto? :)

I found this on the internet if someone else wants to make his own coat of arms:

http://www.inkwellideas.com/coat_of_...ee_coads.shtml

I also asked around seems like my family had at one point something similar to a coat of arms but it's long forgotten and it was something similar to two angels holding a shield. That's all I could find out, and seeing as I don't really relate I made a new one for myself

Some battles are won with swords and spears, others with quills and ravens. Tywin Lannister

Thanks for the link +rep

here is my personal coat of arms

hers mine and our words.
    Vive ut vivas
    Translated: Live that you may live forever

Quote Originally Posted by Vhakazar View Post
    Really, is it that common to have a coat of arms? I know nobody in Belgium who has one.

But since I became curious, look what i found here:

http://www.clenodium.eu/de/wappenbuc...al/Hauben.html

It looks like this coat has some kind of helmet on it, which seems rather logical since "haube" is german for helmet.

I have non idea whether it is family or not, but since it has the same spelling of 'Hauben" perhaps, there is a small chance.... (my family came from Germany, that's one thing I know).
    It's not that common in Belgium, only Belgian nobility has them. There are some famillies that used to be nobility but lost their title and now only have a coat of arms left. I'm Belgian nobililty, and this is the coat of arms of my familly

Ryan: Anglicized from Mulryan, which was a variation of Riaghan, meaning 'son or follower of Riaghan'. As far as I'm aware, the Riaghans were ancient Irish kings, who then changed their name to O'Maoilriain became war chiefs and held seats at Owney and Owneybeg. The name Ryan itself probably dates from the 11th century.

Motto: Malo mori quam fodari: Death before dishonour.

Buckenham: This is how my maternal family spells it. This is actually the oldest way to spell the name, which has variations of Buckingham, Buckinghame, Beckingham, Beckinhame, etc. The family comes from Oxford, where they held a seat in Saxon times (though no one knows exactly when the family was raised to the nobility).

Motto: Semper fidelis: Always faithful.
    Last edited by The Rt Hon. Daniel Ryan; December 30, 2011 at 03:49 AM.

I am a new poster, but like ASOIAF and Total War.

My Surname and coat of arms has several leads and some weird roots. It might have originated from Scotland where it was part of the Clergy clan (which has its own tartan.) It also possible came from France with William the Conqueror. It also is the name of a lord of the manor from Hertfordshire. The coat of arms i have a picture of is a sailing ship below two ravens but another source says it was a blue sheild with a silver griffin on it. I have also found another picture which shows a lion head in the middle of 3 holly leaves. I guess that makes me maybe a House Florent-Osgrey mix?

Last edited by tyroncs; December 29, 2011 at 01:38 PM.

The coat of arms and motto of the fictional noble house of Holm
    Thanks for link prophet1331

Olivierus's Avatar Laetus

Since I don't know about coat of arms of my family, I will present the one that is symbolizing land where I come from.

And motto: "Verní sebe, svorne napred!" (Faithful to ourselves, together ahead!)

wereturnip's Avatar Tiro

Here's mine, Originally from Herefordshire...but residing in Cardiff for the past 300 years (honestly...there should be a Red Dragon on here somewhere.)

My House's words: Deeds Surpass Words..However, I also found some old stuff that had the words listed as, Non Onimus Frangar..."I will not be broken" (That's pretty cool too.)

WT

Modeler Skinner Animator

Cobi Wan Kenobi's Avatar Centenarius

This was my great great grandfathers. Not sure if it was the family crest or just something he drew as he was an etcher.

I made this one using the link above, I think it turned out pretty good

wereturnip's Avatar Tiro

All those are pretty awesome! I don't think that the queen or any other royal body in Europe are giving out coat of arms. (unless you're a musician or something) So it's up to us to start our own family tradition. If you want that to be your branches family coat of arms..why not?

@Colby, Your Grandfather was an Etcher? That is a lost art, that is absolutely beautiful. Even if it is or not your family's coat of arms that is something your grandfather made and should always be special. Especially since there's not anyone I know or even heard of that can do anything remotely that amazing in this day and age.

Well it's getting on time for me to do the whole New Years thing, so I wish the best for you in the coming year and thanks for hanging around and seeing our stuff

wereturnip

Modeler Skinner Animator

Vulpex's Avatar Civis

Something like: Gules, a tree argent and an armoured hand holding a sword argent. Blazonging can be such a cabbalistic practice. No mottos. Just a non-noble family coat of arms.
    Generally, in Finland old or new coats of arms have no meaning in law, there is just societies who deal with it all.

Irish King's Avatar Campidoctor

Just kinda made one up using that link.
    [IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Zachary%20Bohn/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/CoA.png[/IMG]

Sorry the link isnt working.
    Last edited by Irish King; January 02, 2012 at 08:20 PM.

cant find a picture of it right know but my family went looknig through are past which actually brought a very awesome thing to fruitation

are coat of arms is a snow wolf with a rose either side on a black background with two spears going through the roses at a diagonal angle meeting above the head of the wolf

very similar to the starks

the weird part was are motto 'war is coming'

uncle showed me it an i was like :O

so my dad is know currently researching if there was a ned in our history who help overthrow a king or suttin XD

From my mothers side. Couldn't find the one from my fathers side .

just created it

Cobi Wan Kenobi's Avatar Centenarius

@wereturnip yeah he was my great great grandfather. apparently the chemicals used in etching killed him. kinda ironic. i've found etchings of crest for other families by him, so I don't know if it belongs to my family by law.

in Poland nobility didn't have a motto only batlecry
    my familly coat of arms
    battlecry 'The WING"

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Quote Originally Posted by pitter90210 View Post
    in Poland nobility didn't have a motto only batlecry
    my familly coat of arms
    battlecry 'The WING"
    looks pretty cool man!