Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: [OT] Whats your family Coat of arms and motto? :)

Default Re: Whats your family Coat of arms and motto? :)

Hey everybody! I'm new to the forum, but I'm a pretty experienced modder with Medieval II.

I am directly descended from the Pomeroy family, whose castle still stands in South Devon, England. If my ancestor Sir Thomas Pomeroy had not sold the castle to Edward Seymour, the Duke of Somerset, in 1547, my cousin John would be the owner of it today!

Here's the Pomeroy family coat of arms:

So, the moral of the story is: don't sell your castle to your immediate lord for a small plot of land south of York.

Kiliç Alì's Avatar Domesticus
    Artifex

Hello scoutsanford, and welcome into this forum! I cannot see your picture tought.

here the coat of arms I'd like to change my one into:

Member of the Imperial House of Hader, proud client of The only and sole Ferrit

Bonez's Avatar Protector Domesticus

My coat of arms and the motto means: Honor is the reward of virtue that is from fathers side and on my mothers side is this, Motto is: He who conquers endures/

Here is the Wilcox family coat of arms though I am not sure if it is the same as mine.

And here is the one I created.

Also, it turns out that the O'Hara motto is "Virtue and Clarity".
    Commanding House Stark of Winterfell in This Is A Hotseat and in The requested hotseat
    Commanding House Lannister of Casterly Rock in Yet again another hotseat
    Commanding House Tully of Riverrun in New Enhanced Hotseat
    Commanding House Tyrell of Highgarden in This Is Most Definitely A Hotseat
    Commanding House Greyjoy of Pyke in War Of The Throne
    Commanding House Arryn of the Eyrie in Westeros At War

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

i refuse to let this thread fall into the oblivion that is the second page of threads

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

Because of a load of bliddy hotseats.

There should really be a sepearte thread for all the hotseats, it is getting ridiculous lol

My father's father's family coat of arms
    Name: Drake
    Symbol: Red Dragon, sometimes paired with a Grey Tower (Aparently I'm a Targaryen, and I have blond hair as well.)
    Words: aquila non captat muscas- The Eagle is no fly catcher
    Country of Origin: England

My Father's Mother's Clan coat of Arms
    Name: Anderson
    Symbol: A Tree
    Words: Stand Sure
    Country of Origin: Scotland

I am working on making a Coat of Arms for my mother's family. They immigrated to the USA as Carlson's from Sweden, but apparently so many Carlsons were coming over my mother's family had to change their name. It was changed to Rosenlof (Rose Leaf.) I want to combine the image of the Carlson Coat of Arms with a picture of a rose. No idea how to do it though.

jacb547's Avatar Primicerius

Targaryens have silver hair
    "We all know whatmy brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."

I thought it was silver blond?

This is a really interesting thread!

I, like the vast majority of those here am of common stock. Even though my family name has a Coat of Arms I'd say that my family names, without a doubt, have no connection with the family/families that created and used the CoA. Unless I was actually descended from a noble family, I can't muster up any sense of pride or fascination with any of my own 'families' CoA. Using the surname Smith for example, there'd be bloody loads of families that went by the name Smith back in the middle ages. One of these families might have been granted lands and/or titles at some point or deemed prestigious enough to have their own CoA, but that's only one family of Smiths amongst hundreds. Then there's the fact that bloodlines water down over the generations (which is one of many reasons why Monarchies are flawed).

However, I do find Heraldry fascinating and it's one of the things that I love about Westeros. All of the noble families, their traditions and their reptuation and character all of which is embellished by their Coats of Arms, colours, sigils and mottos. It's what brought me into the W:TW development team, as I wanted to create the Faction Icons. - BUT, it's all good fun - and I do think people should make their own!

Anyway, for what it's worth:

Skinner - Brought over to England with the Norman conquest. Pretty self explainatory are the origins of this name. From the occupation of a skinner, which in itself derives from the Old Norse word Skinn, meaning hide.

Motto: Sanguis et vulnera - 'Blood and Wounds' (Sounds about right!)

Seeing as my father adopted the surname of his step father, this means that I am by no means a true Skinner. My father was bastard born. His real father was a Welshman, by the name of Evans.

Evans - Not much to say, other than it is a Welsh surname - albeit the English translation of a Brythonic Celtic/Cymraeg name.
    No motto.

That's my father taken care of. Now, with my mother:

West - Interesting, in that I've just read that this surname was first found in Devonshire (Southwest England), where I live and where the paternal side of my mothers family have always resided.

Motto: Jour de ma vie - 'Day of my life' (Sounds like some cheesy American soap)

It's fun to try and place yourself into Westeros with your family CoA and backgrounds, as I've seen some of you do. I'd say that being from the West Country with Devonian and Welsh roots (with a bit of Cockney slapped in) combined with the Lion Rampant of Evans, that makes me a Westerlander.
    Shields and swords will win you wars -
    But in the end, the battle's for our hearts are fought by bards

What would Ireland be? I'm thinking the Reach - all green and fertile.

My mother's family is harder. As I mentioned, we do have a clan now, but our seat is New York. Which would probably make us recent immigrants to Braavos.
    Commanding House Stark of Winterfell in This Is A Hotseat and in The requested hotseat
    Commanding House Lannister of Casterly Rock in Yet again another hotseat
    Commanding House Tully of Riverrun in New Enhanced Hotseat
    Commanding House Tyrell of Highgarden in This Is Most Definitely A Hotseat
    Commanding House Greyjoy of Pyke in War Of The Throne
    Commanding House Arryn of the Eyrie in Westeros At War

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Quote Originally Posted by Meshakhad View Post
    What would Ireland be? I'm thinking the Reach - all green and fertile.

My mother's family is harder. As I mentioned, we do have a clan now, but our seat is New York. Which would probably make us recent immigrants to Braavos.

Well half of ireland is green and fertile, the other half is mainly bog/hills and mountains

As far as im concerned the people that most represent the medieval irish would be both the Clansmen living in the mountains of the North under the Starks, and the crannog men in the neck.

So to answer your question Ireland would be North, well parts of it anyway

It's all just a game!

Default Re: [OT] Whats your family Coat of arms and motto? :)

Beyer is from germany and it's motto is: May the fortune of our house endure.

PS: It's the english family motto, didn't found the germany one :/
    Last edited by LittleDinho; February 10, 2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Error
    It's all just a game!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlood View Post
    Well half of ireland is green and fertile, the other half is mainly bog/hills and mountains

As far as im concerned the people that most represent the medieval irish would be both the Clansmen living in the mountains of the North under the Starks, and the crannog men in the neck.

So to answer your question Ireland would be North, well parts of it anyway
    Playing along your game
    I always thought Riverlands were simmilar to Poland. Peacefull, quiet, lots of farms few castles here and there, getting raided by everyone
    So I figured out that in Westeros I would be some low cadet branch of family tree (it was my grandmother crest) of some major/medium House (coat of arms was popular in this regions and originaly held by wealthy families) who still has some roots with the North aka Godswood (my family was originaly from parts of Poland that are now in Lithuania and we have some family in Russia hence the North. It's cold out there right? ).
    I hope it makes sense

looks at avatar name 'Honda Tadakatsu' looks at family name 'Desmond'

DAFUQ?

Captain Zoran's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Honda Tadakatsu View Post
    Ezio!!!
    The friendly neighbourhood hobo with a shotgun of Westeros: Total War, bringing the Game of Thrones to life!
    Check out my new LOTR fan(tastic) fiction here: The Accountant's Trial