Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: [OT] Whats your family Coat of arms and motto? :)

Default Re: [OT] Whats your family Coat of arms and motto? :)

You can sort of see which ones are real and which are fake though. The real ones are much more elaborate and just look different than the fake ones.

Default Re: Whats your family Coat of arms and motto? :)

my family can trace its self on the male side to the last king of north wales.

and my mothers side we go back to della Torre the rulers of milan.

Badger-dude's Avatar Primicerius

I have seen a few floating around...

The Gallagher coat of arms displays a black lion rampant on a silver shield, treading on a green snake surrounded by eight green trefoils. The correct heraldic description is "Field argent a lion rampant sable treading on a serpent in fess proper between eight trefoils vert".[6] The crest which surmounts the helmet over the shield depicts a red crescent surrounding a green snake or, to give its heraldic definition, "A crescent gules out of the horns a serpent erect proper". The motto of the clan is in Latin Mea Gloria Fides ("The Faith is My Glory").[

Clan Clark has a unique history in Scotland in that it began as a title rather than a surname and actually wasn't a clan at all. It began as a Gaelic corruption of the Latin word clericus and was used to describe a man of learning who advised the clan leadership and whose duties typically involved a great deal of reading and writing and would eventually be used to refer to some of the clergy. Thus there were Clarks all over the place and their rise as a familial surname and later a recognized clan sept was very diverse. I've seen a bunch of different crests but here's a couple.

On the left is a coat of arms from the Irish branch. The one on the right depicts the burning bush and also displays one of the family mottos "Nec tamen consumebatur" (lat. 'Yet it was not consumed' or 'Never to be consumed'). Both the imagery and the motto are also used by the Presbyterian Church.

And of course we have our own tartan. This is the 'ancient' version. I don't like the modern one.

Last edited by deusvult6; December 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
    What's life like if you don't take a chance now and then? ~ Matrim Cauthon

My ancestor changed his German surname to an English one upon coming to Britain, so got no clue what my CoA or heritage is at all.

Howell.
    Tenax propositi.

Engie's Avatar Ordinarius

Sadly I don't think my family has a crest or motto but I'll share what I do know anyway. I suppose in the world of Westeros that would make me a low-born

Name: Blackbourn (which literally means "the dark-coloured stream" in Anglo-Saxon, "blaec", black, with "burna" stream)
    Origin: English

There is a bit more information on this site: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Blackbourn (I don't know how reliable it is though).
    Last edited by Engie; February 17, 2013 at 07:55 AM.

Biarchus

Ok no idea if this is real (certainly hope so), but this seems to be my families coat of arms

ButtSwag's Avatar Decanus

I'm descended form India, and back in the old days they didn't have last names, only titles. I know that my families title was Singh (which means king, or warrior), but sadly we never had a coat of arms (that I know of)
    My great-grandfather moved to Fiji, established my family using my grandfather's name as our last name, and my grandfather moved to Australia, where my Dad was born and where I was born
    I have no clue about my Mum

Quote Originally Posted by Engie View Post
    Sadly I don't think my family has a crest or motto but I'll share what I do know anyway. I suppose in the world of Westeros that would make me a low-born

Name: Blackbourn (which literally means "the dark-coloured stream" in Anglo-Saxon, "blaec", black, with "burna" stream)
    Origin: English

There is a bit more information on this site: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Blackbourn (I don't know how reliable it is though).
    Update!

Apparently this is the coat of arms of my family

Again though, I have no idea how reliable it is. Would love to find out if that actually is it or not.

Although I've found out that on my mothers side I'm descended from a Kirk who were a sept of Clan Maxwell from the Scottish Lowlands.

Last edited by Engie; February 17, 2013 at 07:55 AM.

This is mine , for McLaughlin im not sure for most of the stuff but I thought it was pretty neat to find.

Irish and Scottish heritage. (I think)

Motto: Fortis et Fidus, translated to "Strong And Faithful".

jomas's Avatar Miles

That would be my fathers coat of arms
    However my Mother is apart of clan Sutherland, this is essentially the badge, the one I know has a different cat, but it's only minor differences.
    Last edited by jomas; February 17, 2013 at 09:39 PM.

Well, my family (on my dads side at least) is mostly descended from Lincolnshire farmers. The likelihood of there being some sort of coat of arms and motto is very slim

http://www.houseofnames.com/thayer-family-crest

Family crest is Supporte et attends or bear and forbear which means carrry and carry on

Quote Originally Posted by toffeejay View Post
    I don't want to be miserable but all those family crests people have posted are fake (the British and Irish ones anyway). Its just a money making scam playing on peoples interest in ancestory.
    I think there are about 12 proper Scottish clan coats of arms and about 6 Irish. Thats it, the rest are fake.
    It makes sense when you think about - most people desend from the thousands of poor, starving people not rich families who had the wealth to have one.

If I was to create a westors crest I'd like one with a Fiddler crab with his large claw raised above him. Always liked the way they look like they are giving off about something!
    Yes I think that's the case, I say that forthwith we create our own TWC crests! Found this page where people can try their hand at it:
    http://www.fantasyshields.com/

In case someone has missed these coat of arms, may not be westeros but still^^
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Don't be a prick, don't be a whiny little child - Stop White Genocide and Praise Jesus.

Very nice, Getting a good picture everybody? So we look nice and handsome and thin? Thank you. -The God Emperor, creating world peace and unforgettable memes
    https://twitter.com/RitaPanahi/statu...48737210662912 <-- Unforgettable face.

Louis XVI's Avatar Campidoctor

If you look hard enough you will always find nobility somewhere up the line, its a mathematical certainty;

"But of course, this leads to fun with math. It only takes 15 generations -- about 300 years' time -- to get you to 32,768 ancestors in that generation. 30 generations -- 600 years' time -- and you have 230 ancestors, or 1,073,741,824. Go back to 1 C.E. and you've got 2100 ancestors in that generation, or roughly 1.2 nonillion ancestors.

An English professor did his wife's ancestry and led hers back to Charlemagne, he was amazed. But then he did it for himself and he himself was also descended from Charlemagne and it turned out his gardener was too and the girl in the supermarket too; we all descend from Charlemagne in a way.

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

It's possible that people from insular countries wouldn't have a relationship to Charlemagne, such as Ireland's West coast. Not likely i'll grant you but possible
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

I find family trees interesting, although I've never found any nobility the few times I've tried to do mine (unless I haven't gone back far enough).

Like I said above my dad's side is mainly descended from Lincolnshire farmers and are mainly lower-middle class so it's unlikely that there is a coat of arms and motto, not that I'm bothered (as nice as it would be to find out that I'm descended from some sort of nobility). I'm proud of my roots.