Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: [OT] Whats your family Coat of arms and motto? :)

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Default Re: [OT] Whats your family Coat of arms and motto? :)

This is my family's coat of arms :

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

and there's also this version

We don't have a motto. All I know is that the Falzon family descends from the Fauzone/Falsone/Falcone family that immigrated to Malta from Sicily in the Middle Ages.

In fact this guy :
    Milite Antonio Falsone, Patrican of Messina, Barone di Djar-il-Chandul (Cr: 1399) by King Martin I of Sicily, married Pina Mundellus, married (2) to Caterina de Vaccaro,
    , a nobleman from Messina bought an area near Imdina, the old capital of Malta, and our surname descends from this very same man.
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

jomas's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by toffeejay View Post
    I don't want to be miserable but all those family crests people have posted are fake (the British and Irish ones anyway). Its just a money making scam playing on peoples interest in ancestory.
    I think there are about 12 proper Scottish clan coats of arms and about 6 Irish. Thats it, the rest are fake.
    It makes sense when you think about - most people desend from the thousands of poor, starving people not rich families who had the wealth to have one.

If I was to create a westors crest I'd like one with a Fiddler crab with his large claw raised above him. Always liked the way they look like they are giving off about something!
    I'm almost 100% sure my last name (Dance) isn't actually a noble name, it's far too basic, and there aren't many notable people.
    However, what I can say is, I at least share the name with the man who made the Lannister name a one to be reckoned with.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

British actor Charles Dance, plays Tywin Lannister in Game of Thrones.

I think this the correct crests for my family, dates back to Tudor times, but I can't find any images of them, just descriptions
    Crest : A cap, per pale, ermines and argent,
    charged with a fesse gules, between two wings
    expanded, the dexter of the second, the sinister
    of the first.

Gules a fesse vaire, between two lions passant, guardant ermine. I did find a very poor image of this on the internet some time ago, but I can't find it now, I wish someone who knew there stuff could make me a proper version, but I guess that's where these companies make their money online

Another branch I'm not descended from has given given its crest to Downing College, Cambridge

Family motto:
    Quaerare Verum -seek the truth

This is a new one on me---
    My coat of arms:

Family motto:
    Via, veritas, vita

I'm really into this and I've got most of my ancestors researched now... That is the coat of arms from my grandfathers family... There's a German and an English branch.
    Last edited by Fürst Frederic; March 17, 2013 at 07:43 PM.

Animal on Coat of Arms: 3 Griffens, Country: Ireland (I'm Canadian)
    Motto: "I would rather die than be disgraced"

Really like this thread.

MacQueen clan from Scotland.

Crest: An heraldic tyger rmine holding an arrow, pointing downwards Argent pheoned Gules.
    Motto: Constant and Faithful.

Another Crest associated with clan MacQueen look likes some Clegane type shield.

The Unknown General's Avatar Centenarius

Where did you guys go to find your coat of arms and motto?

jomas's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown General View Post
    Where did you guys go to find your coat of arms and motto?
    Some families are pretty easy to track, especially Scottish families with Clan tradition, while not used for the same purpose of old, family clans is a source to draw pride from.
    If you are Scottish, it's possible your surname is associated with a clan name, like my mother's is Sutherland, which is a highland clan. It's also possible you're name is a Sept of one, like on my paternal side there's Williams, which is a Sept of clan Gunn.

If you aren't scottish, maybe your family holds a heirloom or something. It's very possible you don't, I never got such thing, my last name being Dance I very much doubt it was a very noble family, but if you look online you'll probably find some kind of coat of arms.
    They're generally made up, it seems people make money off of creating coat of arms off of surnames, slapping them on a mug and selling them, but it's still pretty cool to look on the internet for.

You might even find out your name actually does have significance in history if you look into your family tree.

EDIT: Here's a link to a site that does that kind of shenanigans, while I don't buy anything, it's fun to see the kinds of surnames you can find.
    http://www.houseofnames.com/
    You can also just google your surname and coat of arms I suppose.
    Last edited by jomas; June 21, 2013 at 05:38 PM.

Google your surname and try to look for family trees or some thing like that. I got lucky and found a family tree for my mothers side of the family that seems to be true. I traced my lineage back to 1918 using that family tree, so it was pretty useful. If you just want a coat of arms the google your name and "coat of arms" and then look on google pictures. Most of the shown coat of arms are fakes, but there are some legit ones. Also ask your parents/grandparents if they know anything about your heritage.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789