Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [RSII AAR] Fortune Favours the Bold [UPDATED CHAPTER 20 17/04/2012]

Oxode's Avatar Tiro
    Mississauga,Ontario,Canada,North America,Atmosphere,Earth,Milky Way Galaxy

Default Re: [RSII AAR] Fortune Favours the Bold [UPDATED CHAPTER 19 05/04/2012]

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Gandalf View Post
    I wasn't being sarcastic. Probably just overdid looooove
    Sorry, I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about my "Thanks alot bud"

Oh ok lol

Oxode's Avatar Tiro
    Mississauga,Ontario,Canada,North America,Atmosphere,Earth,Milky Way Galaxy

Chapter 20: Endless

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Carthaginian Empire 184 B.C

184 B.C Gaul
    Four years had passed since Hannibal approved the invasion of Gaul, the Gallic tribes of the North were much more prepared and stronger than the Carthaginians had initially estimated. In 187 B.C a army of about 2,300 Gauls invaded and Theodekles was forced to take 2,100 men to intercept them. When he arrived, he was met with a horde of Gauls much larger than 2,300 men.

He was outnumbered 2:1 and fought a great battle in the forest North West of Massilia. For three days the forest was filled with skirmishes of scattered troops, both sides employed guerilla tactics, after the third day, the remnants of each side fought one final decisive encounter. Theodekles soon realised he had brought the enemy down to an even amount of troops and the final battle lasted four hours. The enemy invasion was delayed and the enemy retreated, the enemy had lost more than 84% of it's force, but this victory was short lived, for the price of this victory was Theodekles's life. Things did not look good, Hannibal himself was tempted to head to Gaul when he heard of the loss, with the Campaign in Anatolia almost complete, he had to make a decision, help his men in Gaul, or continue his campaign against the much more threatening Civilized Powers of the East.

184 B.C Near Georgovia
    The Invasion of Gaul had stalled after Theodekles was killed when he defended the Massilian border from the Gauls. Mago had decided to avenge his childhood friend by marching towards the Gallic capital Georgovia. For days he marched his troops through the unknown, he had kept his troops on edge, he knew the Gauls were waiting for him, they were waiting for the perfect time to strike. It was seven weeks into his march that he decided to make camp, unaware that he was surrounded on two sides by a Barbarian Horde.

The forest was thick, Mago's camp was situated in a nearby clearing. The smoke of the fire rose above the canopy, the Gauls spotted this and moved into position. Mago had heard a loud marching noise and thought they were reinforcements, when he left his tent, there were no reinforcements.

"Damn, what is that noise soldier?" Asked Mago to a Guard.
    "Whatever it is sir, it is getting louder." Said the Guard.
    "This can't be good." Said Mago.

Just suddenly a Gallic peasant ran into the camp the Guards apprehended him and brought him to Mago.

"What business do you have here Gaul?" Demanded Mago.
    "Thousands of them!! Thousands of them have surrounded your camp!!" Yelled the peasant.
    "What? Alerius, is this true?" Mago asked to one of his generals.
    "That marching sound could have been the Gauls, best get into formation to be safe." Said General Alerius.
    "I think that is best, Men!! Assemble battle array!!" Ordered Mago.

In a few minutes the Carthaginians left their camp and formed up in the forest, there was a clearing and a small hill in front them, the Gauls watched from their forest.

The Skirmisher Cavalry were advancing through the forest after they received a message to return to the camp and prepare for battle, the Cavalrymen rushed as fast as they could through the forest, the trees was what made the horses slow, the men not wishing to risk the horses.

General Alerius's assumption was right, the Gauls appeared from the forest, they let out a huge roar and banged their shields with their swords, their cheers and taunts brought slight fear amongst the Carthaginian line. The Gauls soon charged down and Gaul after Gaul came from the trees, there was no end to them. Mago himself doubted victory, he had never lost a battle in Hispania, he had briefly fought in Sicily when a Ptolemaic force boldly landed and besieged Akragas, but here was different.

The Gauls and Carthaginians fought, a hail of javelins and an endless army of Gauls were just two of the problems the Carthaginians faced. The men were already sweating in their armour, a rumour began to spread that the Gauls had them surrounded on all four sides and annihilation was guaranteed, Mago and his generals furiously trying to stop it from spreading.

The Gauls kept coming, when one unit was wiped, three more took it's place, and even while this still happened, more Gauls kept coming from the trees, Mago couldn't believe it, they still came, their numbers increasing as his decreased, he was losing hope, he began to pray to Baal while his bodyguards surrounded him to ensure his safety.

He began his prayer.

"Baal, I fight on Carthages' and your behalf, these enemies fight for a weak nation, and false gods, may you bless us and give us the strength and courage to overcome this losing battle. I will be willing to give my own life if you grant my men victory and the safety of my troops, please Baal, I beseech you, lend us your strength, lend us your might, lend us your courage, all in your name." Silently prayed Baal.

When he finished his prayer he drew his sword and rode into the battle with his bodyguards, it was at this moment when all hope was lost, the men saw their general ride into the fray, the men began to regain their hope and began to fight fiercer, the enemy however had reinforcements approaching from the East of the forest, they eventually arrived and reinforced the engaged Gauls.

The Skirmisher Cavalry soon arrived at the scene, they threw their javelins at the Gauls. The Gallic blob was too crowded to scatter as javelin after javelin flew into the crowd, using the Cavalry to his advantage, Mago and hist troops slowly push the enemy back. The Gauls began to flee into the forest and the Gauls stopped coming from the forest, the men continued to use their momentum, the enemy force's' numbers continued to dwindle.

The Gallic line began to gather at one point to break through, this left the Carthaginians on the flanks to flank the enemy. Mago lead the soldiers on the Left flank to move behind the Gauls and make one final attack. The Gauls did not pay attention to their rear, they did not notice Mago and an fairly large group of bodyguards and soldiers behind them, Mago yelled his order to charge, the men charged.

Upon impact the Gauls that were surrounded surrendered, it is said that Mago had captured over 10,000 Gauls and sold them all to slavers and noblemen in Carthage, he is said to have amassed a wealth that was worth 300 Million dollars today. The men cheered when the battle was won, they praised their general for his great tactics and skill, but Mago praised Baal, he had answered his prayers, willing to give up his own life if his men returned safely, Baal had spared them all. The one thing many people overlook is the phrase of how the Gauls fought for their false gods, what Mago did no know was that the gods were real, and all of them fought a great war of the gods, much greater than early conflicts between Greek Deities, if one was to make the sentence more justifiable, than you would say that their belief or following of those certain gods was false rather than the actual existence of the god.

Three weeks later Bomilkar arrived at Massalia, he trained a garrison in Theodekles's absence, he then took command of the invasion and put Mago and his army as his deputy and auxiliary, Bomilkar was surely going to change the war in Gaul now that Bomilkar was in command. Meanwhile in Anatolia, Hannibal's condition continues to get worse, barely able to open his mouth to speak, not even officially crowned King but yet it seemed his life would soon end. Carthage's "Test" was approaching, but could Hannibal prepare them for it?

Author's Notes
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Sorry for another really long wait, battle crashed along the way so I don't have many pictures.

Ussaid the Hashshashin's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: [RSII AAR] Fortune Favours the Bold [UPDATED CHAPTER 20 17/04/2012]

love it!!!
    The Face of Murder

"Have any of you ever felt your imagination going wild reading ancient lore?"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123