Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Hardware Buyers Guide.

Default Re: PC Hardware Buyers Guide.

There are only Newegg (US), some Canadian and two UK. No europeans! (Or do the UK ship to Europe? Couldn't find that on their site, but I foud that Newegg only ships to US, and, very oddly to Puerto Rico! LOL! Why are they shipping to the Canary Islands? )

HMMcKamikaze's Avatar Semisalis

They ship to Puerto Rico because it is a US protectorate.

Reidy's Avatar Let ε<0...

Just a small pointer - the "High end" and "Extreme overclocking" RAM you linked to has bad reviews on Newegg. Maybe you could recommend a better brand?

Under the rather spiffing patronage of Justinian.
    Grandson of some fellow named the Black Prince.

Newb question, but in general, is it possible to upgrade from a socket 478 mobo to a socket 775 using the same case or is it more complicated than that?

depend on the case and the motherboard, obviously.

Are the Intel core 2 Duo processors really the best for power/gaming PC's at the moment?

FG.
    'Always fight bravely and be superior to others'.... Homer

Depends on your budget and processing needs, of course.

Ok... if I want to run an Intel E6600 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor 4 MB Cache 775 1066 with an ATI Radeon X1950XTX card ..what would be one of the better motherboards?

I appreciate Incinerate_IV listing in the intial thread but it's all double dutch to me.

I inquired in a PC shop and they recommended the GIGABYTE GA-965-S3. Asked another and they said the GIGABYTE weren't the best brand and have been known to "fall over"... suggesting instead the Intel 975XBX DDR ATX Motherboard 775 1066 ...but I can't seem to find any data / reviews on it? I can find Intel 965 stuff but nothing on 975?

What would you suggest I get that will handle the above CPU and Video Card, stay cool and offer a little opportunity for upgrading in the future? Can anyone help?

my2bob
    Last edited by PSYCHO V; October 16, 2006 at 04:36 AM.
    PSYCHO V

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, Meditation 17)

The intel badaxe is probably the best there is. But the best value for performance is probably either Gigabyte DS-3 or Asus P5B.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by PSYCHO V
    Ok... if I want to run an Intel E6600 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor 4 MB Cache 775 1066 with an ATI Radeon X1950XTX card ..what would be one of the better motherboards?
    For what it's worth, I went into the shop today to enquire about a machine with the exact same combination. They recommended the motherboard with the following description "ASUS P5B, SK775, PCIe"
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Well, I will be in a good shape to talk about it soon. Mine P5B is arriving on Friday.

Incinerate_IV's Avatar Burn baby burn

P5B is one of the best overclockable board right now, the DS3 is also very overclockable, not as much as the P5B but it also don't cost as much. One bad thing about the DS3 is that the FBS max out at 400FSB when you use the 4MB L2 cache processors (the E6600, E6700, and X6800). Other than that the lower end E6300 and E6400 works perfectly.

And Lee, please tell us what you think of the P5B! I'm looking at a Conroe build soon too. One thing that really annoys me about my current Asus board is the boot time is really long, sometimes it takes over 30 seconds for Windows to start. I hope this isn't true for the P5B.
    THE PC Hardware Buyers Guide
    Desktop PC: Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.8 Ghz | Swiftech Apogee GT waterblock + MCP655 + 2 x 120mm rad | Biostar Tforce 965PT | G.Skill 4gb (2 x 2gb) DDR2-800 | Radeon HD 4870 512mb | 250GB + 160GB hard drive | Antec 900 | 22" Widescreen

Quote Originally Posted by Lee1026
    Depends on your budget and processing needs, of course.
    Well probably not going to untilize the Dual core much until the gaming industry starts to, but i was thinking seen as AMD won't be offering anything to really combat the Conroe til 3rd or 4thQ 2007 or 2008 it might be good future proofing.

I was thinking of a E6700 as the extreme X6800 is ridiculously priced at the moment, but just wanted confirmation as most of my PC needs are based around gaming and the internet.

FG.
    Last edited by Freak_General; October 16, 2006 at 07:16 PM.

Well probably not going to untilize the Dual core much until the gaming industry starts to, but i was thinking seen as AMD won't be offering anything to really combat the Conroe til 3rd or 4thQ 2007 or 2008 it might be good future proofing.

I was thinking of a E6700 as the extreme X8600 is ridiculously priced at the moment, but just wanted confirmation as most of my PC needs are based around gaming and the internet.
    Well, the best bang for the buck is probably the E6300.

Quote Originally Posted by Incinerate_IV
    P5B is one of the best overclockable board right now, the DS3 is also very overclockable, not as much as the P5B but it also don't cost as much. One bad thing about the DS3 is that the FBS max out at 400FSB when you use the 4MB L2 cache processors (the E6600, E6700, and X6800). Other than that the lower end E6300 and E6400 works perfectly.

And Lee, please tell us what you think of the P5B! I'm looking at a Conroe build soon too. One thing that really annoys me about my current Asus board is the boot time is really long, sometimes it takes over 30 seconds for Windows to start. I hope this isn't true for the P5B.
    Really appreciate the feedback here guys. So are you suggesting a P5B for a E6600?

Yes Lee, please let us know how it goes.

my2bob
    Last edited by PSYCHO V; October 17, 2006 at 02:30 AM.
    PSYCHO V

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, Meditation 17)

I see, well thanks for the advice. I'm someone who only does a full upgrade every four years with only maybe a graphics card change in that time, and so when i do upgrade i tend to go for the top processer, funds allowing of course.

Thanks and all the best,

FG.

well, that sounds a bit silly. You can upgrade every 2 years with mid-range parts and still come out much cheaper then every 4 year with the top of the line.

Lee which P5B board you getting? P5B-E Plus, P5B-V, P5B-VM, P5B Deluxe, P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP, P5B, P5B-E, etc ? :hmmm:

Just when I believe the fog begins to clear, I'm again confused with the selection

?
    PSYCHO V

Actually I'd say it's the 6400. It's equal with FX-62! Well, not equal, but it's a tiny step from, like 1%!!!

Oh and Incinerate, you've changed back to a HL2 avvie now?

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Arakorn-eir
    Actually I'd say it's the 6400. It's equal with FX-62! Well, not equal, but it's a tiny step from, like 1%!!!
    Actually, from what I hae heard the £150 E6400 is only equal to the £220 5000+, not the £500 FX-62, but its still a good buy. I would say the best bang for buck is the E6600, for £220 you get better than any Athlon.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.