Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Hardware Buyers Guide.

schminkypinky's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: PC Hardware Buyers Guide.

Do i need to worry about needing PCI Express x16 slot? Will I definitely have one? Also, I've added RAM before, but is uninstalling the old and adding a new grahics card a task a noob can complete relatively easily? (God I hate being so naive on this subject)

Oh and thanks both arakorn and Shaun for your quick replies...I've always had ATi and been impressed, but could you maybe expand the arguments for both the ATi 850 and the Nvidia GT...
    Lady Astor to Churchill "Winston, if you were my husband I would flavour your coffee with poison"
    Churchill: "Madam, if I were your husband, I should drink it"

Well, google "Cpu-z", it's a program that checks your hardware. There you'll see if you have AGP or PCI-e. But I think that it is AGP, since your old was a 9-serie Ati.

I think installing a GPU is quite easy, just unscrew the screw holding your old GPU, gently "rock" the olg GPU back and forth until it's "free", then instert the new one (you might have to push it a bit). Then just screw the screw back.

Oh and if you decide to get the 7600GS (or another NVidia card that has the same problem), you might get serious problems with installing the driver like I had. The drivers just won't install, you need to replace a file within the driver pack (extract it) and then you'll be able to install it. But PM me or open the thread, or just dig up my old thread, then I can tell you what to do!

As for which card to get, the X850 is older, it uses older tech and will get obsolete before the new gen (7-series on NVidia). But Shaun says that the 850 is faster (just a bit) than the 7600, so if you plan to get a new card when Vista comes out (I'd upgrade to PCI-e in that case), you could just get the X850.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee1026
    Well, adding all of your suggestions together get us to 441 dollars. The rest needed for acceptable performance - 40 for DVD burner, 120 for hard drive, and 30 for a case (it needs to be reasonablely sturdy), 30 for shipping, 20 for keyboard + mouse, and we are in the 691 zone, which is a bit high for low end.

Also, I suggest that we say just how much of a difference there is going to be from low end to midclass to high end to inform people just how much performance that they truely need.
    you dont need a dvd burner, just a dvd drive, which most peoples older computers already have.
    A hard drive doesnt need to cost that much, if you really wana cheap out, use ur old hard drive

That was a comment that is sort of outdated already.

schminkypinky's Avatar Foederatus

I've followed instructions arakorn and.........I have AGP 8x....... does that limit my options........?
    Lady Astor to Churchill "Winston, if you were my husband I would flavour your coffee with poison"
    Churchill: "Madam, if I were your husband, I should drink it"

Incinerate_IV's Avatar Burn baby burn

There are still some pretty good AGP cards out there, but if you want the fastest cards available you need PCI-E.

For around $120 you can get the X1650Pro, or for around $240 there is the 7800GS.
    THE PC Hardware Buyers Guide
    Desktop PC: Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.8 Ghz | Swiftech Apogee GT waterblock + MCP655 + 2 x 120mm rad | Biostar Tforce 965PT | G.Skill 4gb (2 x 2gb) DDR2-800 | Radeon HD 4870 512mb | 250GB + 160GB hard drive | Antec 900 | 22" Widescreen

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

Can we please add a section in here for monitors?

I'm starting to hunt around for the best 19/20 inch LCD monitor on the market and I don't know whee to start looking as there are so many differant models with differant response times etc I don't know which one to get.

The same rule as always - define your needs, and then buy the cheapest one that fits them.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie

I'm starting to hunt around for the best 19/20 inch LCD monitor on the market and I don't know whee to start looking as there are so many differant models with differant response times etc I don't know which one to get.
    Have a look at this. It used to be on ebuyer too but they appear to have sold out. It's the same price here though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-AL1916W...&s=electronics

Pete

Germanicus75's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Incinerate_IV
    Normal P5B is the best way to go. The other versions just add a better northbridge cooler, more SATA ports, and support for RAID.

Just updated the guide a little. Removed some added some....
    On the Hardwareforum site they say vanilla P5B is not the one to go for for overclocking. Deluxe is recommended by them.

deluxe is also really expensive.

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

Check out this useful database for the best combinations for overclocking Core 2 processors

The Conroe/Allendale Overclocking Database

After a quick look the basic rule of thumb is if you have the E6300 and E6400 the DS3 is the best motherboard (highest overclocks) where as the P5W comes into its on the Conroe chips.

Civitate

deluxe is also really expensive.
    But its also better.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Correct. So we go into the good old price/performance debate.

Quote Originally Posted by PrPete
    Have a look at this. It used to be on ebuyer too but they appear to have sold out. It's the same price here though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-AL1916W...&s=electronics

Pete

I got a HannsG monitor with a 5ms refresh rate, get this or lower, because you can buy 8ms for the same price and they are not as good.
    Create a Multiplayer Army Online at: www.shogun2armycreator.netne.net
    Your Unofficial Shogun 2 Tech Support Genius
    Visit my Youtube Channel
    Shogun 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/itsmymillertime

Can you actually notice the bloody difference?

Guys I just bough a new laptop... is it OK for RTW and MTW2?

- Intel Core Duo processor T2050 (1.60 GHz)
    - 256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7400
    - 1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM (2x512MB)
    - 80 GB 5400 RPM

LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!

Civitate

Can you actually notice the bloody difference?
    Yes, you probably could, ever so slightly.

@merjca, hmm, its probably good enough although dont expect high settings, med-low for you Im afraid.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

OK good enough just to get me started, I travel alot so a PC is out of the question. I did not want to buy a Dell XPS to me they are not worth the $2500-$3000. So later on I will upgrade when I graduate with my degree.

LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie

The man that's full of ideas and useless knowledge (lol overclocking your mouse). I second this, I would also like to see a section for displays in the buyers guide.