Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Which one is stronger ''Legionary VS Phalangist"

Default Which one is stronger ''Legionary VS Phalangist"

Hello friends Welcome back to another brawling thread. At this time i want to ask you something: 1)Which one is stronger: A unit made of disciplined roman legionaries or a famous fearsome phalangists 2)Another one is did phalangists were good at close combat as their fearsome spear works. 3)How roman legionaries can penetrate a line of phalangists and defeat them.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which one is stronger ''Legionary VS Phalangist"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Pydna

There are ********s of sources and discussions on this topic, but that's probably the most famous example of a legionary vs phalanx confrontation.

Last edited by HigoChumbo; March 25, 2013 at 07:40 AM.

In Rome 1, Phalanx is stronger then Urban Cohort, but as an individual soldier i think the Legionary would win...
    I tried in Rome 1 to break the phalanx line with a testudo-formation-legion... but it failed... maybe there will be an adjustment to this in ROME 2 ?

Lets hope so :-)

This question has been answered a thousand times. A successful phalanx is essentially a wall of spears against ANY type of enemy, but once that wall become no longer (completely) coherent and solid, then the opposition can knock spears aside to reach the spear wielding soldier who is now holding a useless weapon, against an enemy with (in the case of the legionary) a short stabbing weapon perfect for very close quarters.

I'd love for CA to make this a viable tactic If the legionary force can coerce the phalanx onto rough ground - where it is impossible to maintain cohesion and formation - then the legionaries can get in amongst the phalanx and chop their nuts off.
    not the nuts part... unless CA have spare time in the mocap studio...
    Last edited by ♠ Thomas Cochrane ♠; March 25, 2013 at 07:38 AM.
    ♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

I agree with Thomas Cochrane. A Phalanx with other combined weapons types like the flankprotection and Cavalry, like the armies of Philipp and Alexander, would probably dominated any republican roman army in an open field battle. The problem is that first the Diadochy Phalanxes were totally diffrent, larger Phalanxes, with less other weapons types, and that the romans defeated them on battlefield which were less ideal for the Phalanxes.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aemilius Lepidus View Post
    I agree with Thomas Cochrane. A Phalanx with other combined weapons types like the flankprotection and Cavalry.
    This thread is about Legionary vs Phalangist, so why are you adding Cavalry? Adding cavalry open up a whole new strategy probability and opportunities.

In my opinion as long as the phalanx is solid, it's not possible to penetrate it from the front, but if the cohesion is lost the legionnaires could defeat them in close quarters.

Any well-trained and well-led formation will overcome any other. Pyrrhus actually won enough times against the Romans, but the losses incurred were deemed too great. The training, numbers and capability of the enemy (in his case Rome) also bears a large influence on your success.

Having said that there is also the case where the legion by that time had developed tactics that were merely evolutionarily advanced compared to the phalanx and meant to address it's flaws. Still, that doesn't mean an idiot leading a legion will always win against Alexander, just because the former has legionaries. It is not a "gun vs. spear" sort of matter. All of early Rome's defeats had the matter of combined-arms elements playing a large role (or large presence) in the battles. Hannibal didn't win because he had better or more infantry than the Romans, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by daelin4 View Post
    Any well-trained and well-led formation will overcome any other. Pyrrhus actually won enough times against the Romans, but the losses incurred were deemed too great. The training, numbers and capability of the enemy (in his case Rome) also bears a large influence on your success. Having said that there is also the case where the legion by that time had developed tactics that were merely evolutionarily advanced compared to the phalanx and meant to address it's flaws. Still, that doesn't mean an idiot leading a legion will always win against Alexander, just because the former has legionaries. It is not a "gun vs. spear" sort of matter. All of early Rome's defeats had the matter of combined-arms elements playing a large role (or large presence) in the battles. Hannibal didn't win because he had better or more infantry than the Romans, for example.
    As a result i think in that case both unit were well trained and disciplined but the strategy of their commanders were different and finally their stamina and morale were a key mater in such long run.

Eofor's Avatar Domesticus

Neither was stronger because both of them were designed to fulfill different roles on the battlefield.

The legion was proved to be superior to phalanx .
    The maniples could manouver quickly and move around flanks of phalanx passing throught spears and cut it to poeces... Even alexander would have had serious problems facing a roman legion especially on its native hilly soils were the whole potential of a spearwall could not be 100%. Operative...

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    The maniples could manouver quickly and move around flanks of phalanx passing throught spears and cut it to poeces... Even alexander would have had serious problems facing a roman legion especially on its native hilly soils were the whole potential of a spearwall could not be 100%. Operative...
    And then stirrup came around and non pike infantry got raped by the riders and their horses....
    THE PROPAGANDA FUNDER:
    http://www.hri.org/news/misc/misc-ne.../95-03-20.misc
    To subdue the greeks we need to strike in their history and their tradition and their identity.
    Henry Kissiger

Well, Romans lost every single battle in the Pyrrhic War. Most of the time Romans did get their asses handed to them by pretty much anyone, though.

But, like most people said, if the phalanx had support and was able to keep order and discipline, it would reign supreme.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by ♠ Thomas Cochrane ♠ View Post
    This question has been answered a thousand times. A successful phalanx is essentially a wall of spears against ANY type of enemy, but once that wall become no longer (completely) coherent and solid, then the opposition can knock spears aside to reach the spear wielding soldier who is now holding a useless weapon, against an enemy with (in the case of the legionary) a short stabbing weapon perfect for very close quarters.

I'd love for CA to make this a viable tactic If the legionary force can coerce the phalanx onto rough ground - where it is impossible to maintain cohesion and formation - then the legionaries can get in amongst the phalanx and chop their nuts off.
    not the nuts part... unless CA have spare time in the mocap studio...
    Roman swords weren't really that short. 20-24 inches (blade length). The enemy (Greek) xiphos was generally anywhere between 14-24 inches (blade length). Many phalangites from around 270 B.C. weren't as well equipped as Alexander's men were. Phalangites were most probably never trained how to use swords properly because their main weapon was the sarissa.
    Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    Greek terrain is very hilly just like Italy so your point about terrain isn't completely true. I think overall army formation was the main reason for Greek defeats. It was too static.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aemilius Lepidus View Post
    I agree with Thomas Cochrane. A Phalanx with other combined weapons types like the flankprotection and Cavalry, like the armies of Philipp and Alexander, would probably dominated any republican roman army in an open field battle. The problem is that first the Diadochy Phalanxes were totally diffrent, larger Phalanxes, with less other weapons types, and that the romans defeated them on battlefield which were less ideal for the Phalanxes.
    I think that neither the phalangites or the legionaries should have too much of a defensive/offensive bonus against each other (if any). Their victory or defeat should be more a matter of tactics and unit cohesion.
    Last edited by Dan113112; March 25, 2013 at 09:45 AM.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeuber View Post
    This thread is about Legionary vs Phalangist, so why are you adding Cavalry? Adding cavalry open up a whole new strategy probability and opportunities.

In my opinion as long as the phalanx is solid, it's not possible to penetrate it from the front, but if the cohesion is lost the legionnaires could defeat them in close quarters.
    Well the phalanx on it's own makes no sense with no flank protection, same as you just can't compare a single legionary fighting a single phalangite. To make a proper comparation, you need first a whole phalanx spear-wall and then flank protection. Otherwise it makes no sense (the more mobile legionaries could just flank the phalanx or repel the spears so easily to get close and personal).

A phalanx or a phalangite on their own make no sense at all, they are almost useless (or at least not special at all) unless they have a good flank protection (be it other units, like cavalry or medium infantry or natural elements as a river or a ridge).

Some could even say that the romans steamrolled lesser enemies but got pretty much beaten by all other major powers, one of their major strenghts was their stuborness to go on and try to overcome difficulties and weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan113112 View Post
    Greek terrain is very hilly just like Italy so your point about terrain isn't completely true. I think overall army formation was the main reason for Greek defeats. It was too static.
    I think that neither the phalangites or the legionaries should have too much of a defensive/offensive bonus against each other (if any). Their victory or defeat should be more a matter of tactics and unit cohesion.
    I completelly agree with everything you said.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; March 25, 2013 at 09:54 AM.

Well not being the antiquity buff others here are I don't see how a phalanx could stand a chance against a legion.

Romans get 25 yards from the line then each throw their three pilum into the phalanx causing them to drop their shields and cause the spears to waver.

Then charge into the line and shatter it.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by CnConrad View Post
    Well not being the antiquity buff others here are I don't see how a phalanx could stand a chance against a legion.

Romans get 25 yards from the line then each throw their three pilum into the phalanx causing them to drop their shields and cause the spears to waver.

Then charge into the line and shatter it.
    Not entirely true. Depends if each pilum hits it's target and the discipline of the phalanx. I've played RTRVII as a Hellenistic faction and I fought the Romans on a custom battle. I made my Hellenistic faction army setup the best I could think of. Then I made the Roman army the best I could think of. I then put the difficulty on VH and I still won. RTR's BAI is pretty good too.

Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasete View Post
    Well the phalanx on it's own makes no sense with no flank protection, same as you just can't compare a single legionary fighting a single phalangite. To make a proper comparation, you need first a whole phalanx spear-wall and then flank protection. Otherwise it makes no sense (the more mobile legionaries could just flank the phalanx or repel the spears so easily to get close and personal).
    Wel isn't the point of this thread to compare only legionnaires and phalangites?

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeuber View Post
    Wel isn't the point of this thread to compare only legionnaires and phalangites?
    I think the thread is to compare overall formations of both armies.

Indefinitely Banned
    In the Eastern part of the Greater Hungary, occupied by Romania

legionaries, of course! The greeks never won a battle with the romans, so the answer is obvious!

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by viderichus View Post
    legionaries, of course! The greeks never won a battle with the romans, so the answer is obvious!
    Wrong. And the mistakes that the Greeks made were mistakes that would have doomed any Roman army.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast