Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diplomacy sucks so bad...

Default Diplomacy sucks so bad...

No matter how strong you are, every single diplomatic treaty i've had does not work. In the end you have to pay to make them accept treaties. Even if they are very friendly to you or allied to you. It is ridiculous how bad diplomacy is on Rome II.

On my 3 play through so far i have suffered rejected proposal time and time again. My campaign as Rome, despite having powerful armies, conquering 3 provinces and having Syracuse as an ally i decided to start trading with them. But no, in the end i have to pay 5000 for them to accept the deal. In the end i didn't pay and decided to conquer them outright.

On my athens, Economic campaign. I was really annoyed by diplomacy. In the end i decided to halt the play through until CA fixes this mess.

And then on my other Egypt let's play i had the same issue. Diplomacy sucks...even Shogun 2 had better diplomacy than Rome II
    Last edited by Arcani 4 Ever; September 03, 2013 at 05:36 PM.

Default Re: Diplomacy sucks so bad...

No it sucks for YOU. Diplomacy, for once, is amazing. As Athens I have a trade agreement with Egypt for no cost, same with Madecon. Egypt also requested a Non-Agression Pact and gave ME money if I accepted. Sparta requested to be my allies and later requested and paid me to go to war with Epirus. If you don't want to lose money then just forget about making deals with other factions. Try to strengthen relationships first THEN go to diplomacy.

From my experience, diplomacy 'worked' to some extent - only played a couple of hours as Suebi thus far (VH difficulty - skipped the tutorial so wanted an option to relaod in order to try things to learn the game, didn't need it thus far though) and easily managed to get the Marcomanni to declare war on my enemy and form a confederation with me and formed multiple NAPs (even with gaul factions).

However, AI factions appear to be extremely reluctant to make trade agreements, which is a tad odd as such an agreement should benefit both sides without any drawbacks - maybe it's because I don't have much to trade yet - time will tell.

under the patronage of Belisarius

Ashu-Siralis's Avatar Senator

At mid levels it's ok. At higher levels (I'm doing my Parthia LP on Very Hard), it's almost undoable. They make all the factions super duper unfriendly.

Shameless self plug:

You can see that they want an EXORBITANT amount for even regular trade agreements.

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

I've had nearby single-province factions requesting to become clients of mine because they're scared of their neighbours. That's not happened in any other TW game and I like it, as tribes would often appeal to Rome for protection.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Works fine with Sparta.

Pope Gregorius I's Avatar Ducenarius

did anyone find out how to manually set the amount of denarii for payments? for me its based solely on increments of 500 and on your total treasury...
    "Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great compassion. Your delight is not in horses, nor Your pleasure in warriors strength..."

I've had the same problem. Getting someone to do anything in my Carthage campaign was like pulling teeth. Hell, i even offered to take car of Epirus' Sparta problem and they still rejected it only to be wiped out two turns later. The only two factions that wanted anything to do with me were Libya nad carthago Nov and I'd have been better off conquering both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcani 4 Ever View Post
    No matter how strong you are, every single diplomatic treaty i've had does not work. In the end you have to pay to make them accept treaties. Even if they are very friendly to you or allied to you. It is ridiculous how bad diplomacy is on Rome II.

On my 3 play through so far i have suffered rejected proposal time and time again. My campaign as Rome, despite having powerful armies, conquering 3 provinces and having Syracuse as an ally i decided to start trading with them. But no, in the end i have to pay 5000 for them to accept the deal. In the end i didn't pay and decided to conquer them outright.

On my athens, Economic campaign. I was really annoyed by diplomacy. In the end i decided to halt the play through until CA fixes this mess.

And then on my other Egypt let's play i had the same issue. Diplomacy sucks...even Shogun 2 had better diplomacy than Rome II
    Diplomacy is broken on harder difficulties. One way or another, the AI will always beat you. If you want diplomacy to seek its natural flow, then play on Medium. But then you will probably find the game too easy and boring. Well, as I hate broken diplomacy, I usually set TW vanilla games to Medium/Hard until mods come out.

Wait for mods. What sensible modders will do is giving the AI all the bonuses it naturally receives on Hard, EXCEPT for the broken diplomatic system. Which means the diplomacy employed will be the same one used on Medium CAI mode.
    AlexCouceiro is Caligula, son of Germanicus, Roman

Diplomacy works better for me. As Rome i have 6 non aggression pacts and 7 trading partners. I am working on allying myself with some Greek nations

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

having problems getting trade agreements as rome and have to resort to bribes to get them to accept, I think it also may have a lot to do with your family too though

Domesticus

What i don't understand is how the player automatically has trade agreements with factions he just encountered.

On my sparta campaign i was just chilling in greece dealing with Athens and Epirus and then when i come in contact with the factions on western anatolia, i already have said deals with them.

Not a complaint really, but it limits what i can do since the chances of gettings other kinds of deals are low

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

How do people get trade agreements?

I've been playing an Iceni campaign, and I have only one trade agreement, which another faction offered me, but demanded that I give them 5000 denarii first.

No one else would ever get anywhere near accepting trade with me. In fact, I control the entire island, and a tiny, one-province German tribe will not even accept a peace deal (Which it is desperately trying to get) if I demand a trade agreement.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

I'm siding with the OP here. Although it can be done under the right circumstances, more often than not all diplomacy agreements are rejected, even if it is a good idea or mutually beneficial.

Wouldn't mind people being more friendly. Eg one tribe was at war with a tribe I was at war with, yet they wouldn't accept even a simple trade agreement after despite the war increasing my relations.

Mwulf's Avatar Civis

I think the quality of diplomacy may be affected by difficulty level.

I've only played the Grand Campaign for a little bit on normal, but my experience has been pretty bad. Or good, depending. The only universally "bad" thing I've encountered was the everyone wanted a huge amount of money for trade agreements--way more than I could afford. So I used CheatEngine to give myself more momeny, and guess what? They ask for a percentage. So if I gave myself 100,000 money, they'd ask for 90,000. Crazy.

The more "theoretically good but practically bad" stuff, I think, deserves it's own thread, so that's what I'll do.
    "What is the most cowardly and shameful thing in human conduct? It's when people with power, and those who flatter them, hide in safe places and extol war--people who force patriotism and self-sacrifice on others, sending them to the battlefield to die. For the sake of peace in the universe, before we continue this fruitless war... mustn't we first start by exterminating such evil parasites?"
    -Yang Wen-Li

Yeah I noticed the percentage thing, it constantly seemed to scale with my treasury. CA are lazy.

Come back to us Darth please.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Try playing on Normal. CAI seems to be working fine there.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    Try playing on Normal. CAI seems to be working fine there.
    Are you kidding? Yeah I guess the diplomacy is a bit better, but the AI themselves are like sitting ducks.

trance's Avatar Vicarius

Oh apparently I have treaties with Epirus, which I can't cancel. Seems to me that it's causing everyone to declare war on me. It's ridiculous . Anyone know any diplomacy-related cheats and/or commands?

Diplomacy is actually way better. I've had factions ask for alliances and to be client states.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast