Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Rome 2 is awesome! (Positive comments only)

Icon7 Why Rome 2 is awesome! (Positive comments only)

Hey all,

I've been reading a lot of negative threads\posts regarding Rome 2. The purpose of this thread is to comment on things you like and things you think are done well.

Personally I've had a great experience and I think this does full justice to the original Rome. This is one of my favorite Total war games of all time.

The scope and size of the game is brilliant makes it feel truly epic. The amount of units, streamlining of the UI interface, cinematic graphics, increased diplomacy all come together to makes this a great experience.

I played for the first time last night and finished the prologue campaign and all I have to say is wow.

Sure there is a few bugs, glitches and little things that can be tweaked, but CA can't customize the game to everyone's particular tastes.

Started my grand campaign as Iceni, can't wait to play tonight after work!

magpie's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Why Rome 2 is awesome! (Positive comments only)

Well the game title ROME 2 is a plus.
    Enjoy your Iceni campaign Rob.

sponsered by the noble Prisca

Vađarholmr's Avatar Archivum Scriptorium
    Content Emeritus

Keep on topic people.

No discussions of other users.
    No disruptive or off topic posting by making passive aggressive or negative comments.
    {I cook weird stuff}-{Patronised by the fearsome Chloe}
    „[...] ţví ađ međ lögum skal land vort byggja en eigi međ ólögum eyđa.“
    (The Frosta-thing law, 1260)

Is acher in gaíth innocht,
    fu-fuasna fairggae findfolt:
    ní ágor réimm mora minn
    dond láechraid lainn ua Lothlind.

because it's the last time i'll see the warscape engine used in a game! oh and next title should be a massive improvement (well not hard).

1. Size of the campaign map, variety of factions, large/expanding cities2. I like the new transport ship mechanic with armies. Just makes it much easier to get around. 3. Battles will be good once the hyper-speed is toned down, morale increased, defense increased, etc. 4. Lots of replay value with different cultures/factions etc. I like unit recruitment and mercenary hiring ability as well.

Quickening's Avatar Libertus

The changes to the campaign map are amazing. They didn't put a foot wrong there as far as I'm concerned. No more cycling through cities just building whatever because "why not", no more tiny and pointless armies having to be dealt with each turn, no more meaningless rebellions, no more having to repair sites every turn because a lone unit rode in and burned them all... everything is just much better. I love being able to rename armies and being able to customise their abilities. Makes things that much more personal. In my current game as Rome my Legion of the Isles is about to strike at Carthage, fresh from having taken Sardinia.
    The movement speed in battles is too fast in my opinion, but otherwise things are great, and I've had some truly epic engagements, after which I had to take a break to calm myself.

There are plenty of bugs and the game needs to be optimised better, but I'm loving it so far and look forward to the upcoming patches. Easily my favourite Total War to date and aside from maybe Shogun 2, the most playable (for me) on day of release.

Tiro

I prefer the setting, other than that I honestly can't think of one thing that Rome 2 does better than Shogun 2.

LewisVee's Avatar Semisalis

I love the new alliance system, got a Greek league going (Macedon, Sparta, Athens, Ardiaei, Pergamon)

I really like the map, but battles seem a bit easy to win I started on very hard (because I need the auto save, allthough it didn't crash (yet)) and sure I've played medII, empire, napoleon, but I expected it to be harder, CAI is good, it keeps attacking me, but when they do I pown them to easy... several medII mods seem to give more of a challenge, empire and napoleon is of course way different in tactics

And of course it's a big plus that somehow this runs better then medII with the most heavy mods and even better as empire total war (darth mod, maybe that's the problem xD). But none the less, with my old laptop it's really amazing that they made it run this good and playable for all kinds of computers, they really kept their promise on that. The only thing I'm afraid of is that I can't run any mods with rome II, because that would become to much for my laptop, but it will take a year or more before there are good mods, so maybe I'm playing on a better device then

There's a lot of things I like about the game. One thing in particular I'm fond of is the sheer variety in the soldiers. Different colored items and textures, really makes it feel like an army. Also, a small but nice touch, I like being able to launch directly back into my campaign and skip the menu. Saves some time!

Well I've only managed to play for about an hour thus far due to time constraints. But the thing I love is that we have a brand new Total War game to play around with for the next few years. I don't really have high standards any more what with growing up and not taking video games that seriously any more, and real life being a and all.

Better launch than E:TW, thats definitely a plus

Well I've only managed to play for about an hour thus far due to time constraints. But the thing I love is that we have a brand new Total War game to play around with for the next few years. I don't really have high standards any more what with growing up and not taking video games that seriously any more, and real life being a and all.

Better launch than E:TW, thats definitely a plus

smoke's Avatar Positively positive

I like it too and am looking forward to playing it tomorrow. I think it looks great, CAI is great, BAI good, but you can't please everyone. I do hope battle is slowed down a bit and generals' portraits look less jagged.
    CAVE CANEM

"CA forced me to buy RTW2. CA made my buy all DLC's. Even the free ones. CA made me push the button."

There's a lot of things I like about the game. One thing in particular I'm fond of is the sheer variety in the soldiers. Different colored items and textures, really makes it feel like an army.

Also, a small but nice touch, I like being able to launch directly back into my campaign and skip the menu. Saves some time!

The fact that even large battles tend to last under five minutes means the player can complete a campaign in a matter of hours. The fact that combat also requires little effort means it's a very easy and non-taxing way to quickly finish a game.

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Because the one good thing about it is: it's called Rome II which reminds me of that fantastic game called Rome 1. You asked for a good thing and that's all I could think of
    Last edited by Aymer de Valence; September 04, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

kikokyle's Avatar Miles

I guess we're lucky, the only problems I've had with the campaign is the campaign going pretty slow, compared to the battle map. But that'll be patched.
    Seriously, I don't find anything wrong with the gameplay other than now I have to try a little harder to keep my units in formation. But there's always a clear line.
    Not mad about family tree missing because you can just hit the army tab, and then hit army details, and since every army has a general now...
    People are overreacting, although I don't doubt the existence of these bugs, even if I haven't had any so right now the game stands at an 8/10 for me.
    FX 6100 4.1Ghz | ASUS M5A97 EVO | 16GB Crucial Sport Ballistix | HIS IceQ 7950 | Kingston Digital SSDNow V300 120GB | WD 1TB, Hitachi 500 GB | Thermaltake TR2 600W | Thermaltake Commander MSI Epic
    Favorite TW: Medieval 2 / Rome (XGM Mod) / Rome 2
    Favorite games: Praetorians (2003) / Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / Final Fantasy X
    "A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool, because he has to say something." ~Plato

There's a lot of things I like about the game. One thing in particular I'm fond of is the sheer variety in the soldiers. Different colored items and textures, really makes it feel like an army.

Also, a small but nice touch, I like being able to launch directly back into my campaign and skip the menu. Saves some time!

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Because yes,and because maybe someone will find a way to make this game playable,increasing the unit sizes and reducing the movement speed and the kill ratio,maybe.And because there are Romans.

This is a nice thread to make, but when so many people have such problems, and the game at release is in a somewhat poor state, it's just not the time. CA needs to feel the heat, and take some crap even though we know that in the end they'll slowly tweak the game into something like a masterpiece.

One thing that I really do like is the ability to choose what a new general's bodyguard will be. I kind of wish it was possible to change them, or at least make it possible to change what your beginning generals have. But I understand that this is probably asking too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast