Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Rome 2 is awesome! (Positive comments only)

Bento's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Why Rome 2 is awesome! (Positive comments only)

To be fair, I do like several things about the game.In my first naval combat, I was marvelling at the look of the ships, quite beautifully done, I thought. Then they moved ... Also, some of the battle maps are excellent - the walled barbarian city in Spain with the wooden walls butting up against cliff terrain sections is outstanding.

Like the one guy who double posted/triple posted, the variety in the units. On Ultra you can also see dirt on their skin etc. The mid-battle speeches that commanders/captains make.

The INCREDIBLY detailed terrain especially when attacking a city.

The campaign is proving to be a challenge for me for once. Getting an economy up and running isn't as easy as it was before.

Game is great! Some things need tweaking but CA already has announced a patch for Friday and modders can easily fix things like unit size and tweak unit balance to get longer fights. But these issues are pretty small. Family tree doesn't bother me. Graphics are awesome. I'm running on very high with absolutely no hiccups and my machine is 3 years old with a 2500k processor and 6950 graphics card so I don't understand how ppl are saying the game is unplayable but maybe I'm just lucky. The campaign map is amazing. Love province building system and army/recruitment. Campaign AI is great so far. BAI isn't bad. I'm on Turn 45 and end turn time is less than a minute still. So Overall great game and I'm sure it will get even better. Can't believe the negativity on these forums but I guess the ppl that like the game are playing not posting on the forum!

The map, and the new city/settlement mechanics comes to mind.
    And, the game has lots of potential!

GussieFinkNottle's Avatar Domesticus

I thought quite hard for something I could say in this thread, and found there was nothing I preferred to S2, other than the setting, and that has nothing to do with how CA performed.The more I play of the game, the more this release version seems like a pile of poop, I hope it is patch-fixable.Graphically worse than S2, less crisp, too dark, unmanageable empires, broken public order and money, too few armies, riddled with bugs, runs like treacle, glitchy battles that are too fast with blobby, disorganised units, and worst of all, boredom. I waited for this game for a year and a half. I have learned my lesson
    A home without books is a body without soul - Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you rep me, please leave your name. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Consortium11 View Post
    The fact that even large battles tend to last under five minutes means the player can complete a campaign in a matter of hours. The fact that combat also requires little effort means it's a very easy and non-taxing way to quickly finish a game.
    That's just a flat out lie. Proof or get the heck out of here. On topic: Love the setting, love the unit variety, love that I haven't encountered a single bug with 17+ hours of play, the graphics look amazing on Extreme, the UI is smooth and well-done, the army customization is great, all the minor factions are awesome, great historical accuracy there. Couple of minuses from me though, but minor stuff: Hate the roman names. Haven't encountered anyone named Claudius, Aemilius, Fabius, Valerius and so on yet, but a lot of names that sooort of sound familiar but not quite. Hope that's one of the things we can edit later on ourselves. And would have loved the Aetolian and Achaean Leagues, Greece just feels a bit too empty. And another city on Sicily and in central Italy. But that's about it.

game is horrible and a complete let down, worst total war ever, only positive thing i can say is the campaign map looks nice that's about it.

nce_wht_guy's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewKing View Post
    game is horrible and a complete let down, worst total war ever, only positive thing i can say is the campaign map looks nice that's about it.
    I see, and did you just never play the other seven?
    Support Russia!

baldrick13's Avatar Semisalis

i don't think you saw the title mate....

btw i don't think that simply saying THIS GAME IS BAD AND IT IS THE WORST GAME EVER counts as a valid argument...

I enjoy myself playing this game so that is good, but I am also not a fan boy to praise the game into heaven.

Things I like:

- Campaign map (really good job)
    - Gamplay (runs very smooth at my pc)
    - Multiplayer (actually the quick battle speed is okay for multiplayer battles)
    - Campaign map AI overall OK
    - lot of new features

Things I don't like:

- battles are too quick, units moving and fighting too fast.
    - lot of people having bugs, though not encountered one myself
    - graphics don't stun me and I play at extreme, anti analising doesnt seem to work too good.
    - building browser is complicated
    - no option to gift regions

AI improvement is desired, but I don't think it is too bad. I have to say I am not too good in fighting battles so maybe that is why I am not bothered.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

I only like the fact that the game has potential as it is. I hope they fix it and improve it.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

I like the clouds and campaign music.

The map is almost as pretty as S2 and FotS, no more spidermen, more variety, mercs. It seems like if they just made an HD version of RTW and M2 it would be cheaper and better in most ways.

AlyssaFaden's Avatar Civis

Okay, keeping in spirit of "positive comments," I have quite a few, but three of them are at the top for me:
    1 - the campaign map variety and size. I love it. It feels genuinely huge. The best part of this though is the fact that it's really nice and clear where the choke points are. I'm a big Empire fan and it was much harder to look at the terrain and figure out where armies could and could not go. Here it's clearer and that enables strategic thinking.

2 - the battle maps. Oh my they are beautiful. I love how varied they are, love the elevation changes, love the terrain details, love the coastal areas, and LOVE getting reinforcements via ship during the battle. oh my word.

3 - CAI. I've been caught unawares twice now after I made stupid moves. The AI called me out on it and veritably mauled my territories. It's much smarter in that sense and I dig that.

ETW=R2TW

AlyssaFaden's Avatar Civis

Okay, keeping in spirit of "positive comments," I have quite a few, but three of them are at the top for me:
    1 - the campaign map variety and size. I love it. It feels genuinely huge. The best part of this though is the fact that it's really nice and clear where the choke points are. I'm a big Empire fan and it was much harder to look at the terrain and figure out where armies could and could not go. Here it's clearer and that enables strategic thinking.

2 - the battle maps. Oh my they are beautiful. I love how varied they are, love the elevation changes, love the terrain details, love the coastal areas, and LOVE getting reinforcements via ship during the battle. oh my word.

3 - CAI. I've been caught unawares twice now after I made stupid moves. The AI called me out on it and veritably mauled my territories. It's much smarter in that sense and I dig that.

Good idea to the OP, CA need some encouragement for the stuff they did well. Some hard work went into this game and some positive remarks are fair enough.

Some of the detail in this game is great, for example playing as Pontus I attacked some minor city in Asia minor, and found some Roman helmets and shields dedicated at a Temple. Whilst zooming in for a good look, some troops came crashing by persued by my lot and kicked over these dedicated Temple items as they fled. A stunning bit of detail in a game, unless of course I'm too easily pleased.

Some of the many varied unit details are very good(playing on maxed settings).

Finding there is a lot going on in the campaign map, being reminded of untended character and army trait upgrades at end turn is a good idea, partic as managing all the detail is a bit of a learning curve for me over previous titles. The game is a wash with info to read on it all, maybe I'm just being a little lazy at being slow to get to grips with it all?

It's as pretty as a high dollar hooker?

sorry - DP - delete please
    Last edited by Niccolo Machiavelli; September 04, 2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: buggy forum

OP has a point.

I've bought every TW game since Shogun and actually, R2TW is one of the smoothest releases thus far imho.

Yes - I have posted my fair share of (hopefully) constructive criticism and will continue to do so. Yes - I don't like vanilla TW games, but I have to say that this game isn't half as bad as some of the original RTW fans claim.

Maybe it's just that - My favourite was the first MTW and I never really liked RTW (Modded BI was okay-ish), thus, I was never really hyped about the game and didn't really read a lot about it in advance, so maybe missed most of the false promises CA made.

Eyecandy is not that important to me, and the lack of SLI and 3dvision support is a big letdown, but I can run this game at ultra settings without any hickups just using one card, yet it may still be poorly optimized - however people got lazy upgrading their PCs compared to earlier times as most games were cross-platform and thus somewhat compatible with the PS3 and 360, which contain vastly outdated hardware.

People tend to forget that the first thing an enemy army would do in RTW was charging their general into a the front of a phalanx unit at release, there wasn't any diplomacy worth mentioning in S1 and MTW, and your allies would backstab you as soon as they (didn't) have a chance. I've spent hours shooting still-standing AI units in S2TW, still. The AI is bad and I remember a post of mine from about 8 years ago were I literally begged CA to screw graphics but at least try to add a semi-decent AI.

Having that said, I'm about 60 turns into a VH Suebi campaign, managed to form a confederation with the Marcomanni, have multiple NAPs, a trade agreement with the Samnites and some celtic factions (although I should absolutely never be required to pay for it) and the campaign map AI appears to be reasonable to a minor extent.

Thus far I've only had two rebellions, but autoresolving wasn't a problem and the battlefield AI isn't worse (or better) than it was in STW.

Yes - there is a shedload to iron out and fix, some really bad design decisions (no family trees, napalm javelins), but CA have done a lot worse in the past.

That doesn't mean CAs behaviour is alright, but I've never got more than a buggy beta whenever I bought a CA game, so I expected it to be worse, actually.

under the patronage of Belisarius

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12