Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Q for ONLY experienced TW players and long time TW fans

Default Q for ONLY experienced TW players and long time TW fans

must say Im so confused with this forum and reviews

Im passionate TW player, played all TW series in hundreds of hours, except Shogun 1 and 2 (couldnt really get it on Japanese history and culture, although played S2TW a decent time)

so I please ask for ONLY experienced players, IS R2TW worth buying? Im afraid I would get disappointed like with CIV series (second best after TW, also played all editions from CIV1 till CIV5), cause I have feeling that all those good strategy games are leaning to casual gamers, getting too childish and arcadey as series evolve

thank You so much in advance for answering my question and concern

Wittman's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Q for ONLY experienced TW players and long time TW fans

Is it worth buying?Nope,not now,buy it after 2-3 monhts of heavy patching,balancing,fixing and optimazing + mods.
    But if your looking for true tw game dont buy it ever,now its just a random strategy game not tw.
    Please check your PM folder-Garb.

Celtichugs123's Avatar Senator

Not at the moment. Not unless you wish to pay for a Beta.
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

“For myself, I find I become less cynical rather than more--remembering my own sins and follies; and realize that men's hearts are not often as bad as their acts, and very seldom as bad as their words.”
    - J.R.R Tolkien

Rome 2 is a consolized mess. If you want a pale imitation of what TW is supposed to be, go ahead and buy it. If you really do consider yourself a longtime TW fan, who appreciates characterization and strategic/tactical depth...No. Just don't.
    The above post is in a pre-alpha state and does not nessecarily reflect the final writings of the poster. As such the poster cannot be held responsible for any statements made in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by chopa2010 View Post

Im passionate TW player, played all TW series in hundreds of hours, except Shogun 1 and 2 (couldnt really get it on Japanese history and culture, although played S2TW a decent time)

so I please ask for ONLY experienced players, IS R2TW worth buying? Im afraid I would get disappointed like with CIV series (second best after TW, also played all editions from CIV1 till CIV5), cause I have feeling that all those good strategy games are leaning to casual gamers, getting too childish and arcadey as series evolve

I follow and play the series since STWI
    I have every TW game and most of the DLCs and I can say that for me STWII was the peak of their series while RTW II marks the bottom pit level , it seems done with a limited budged half of the one used for STWII , It seems that the dev team is completely different and is like they left design decisions in the hands of a bunch of dudes favouring unhistorical solutions and counterlogical design .
    There is no more strategy deepness in the campaign , even the bare minimum that TW usually had is almoust gone and theTactics are now Real time clashes ofmobs fighting around a capture the flag point .. no more TW ...

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by chopa2010 View Post

I follow and play the series since STWI
    I have every TW game and most of the DLCs and I can say that for me STWII was the peak of their series while RTW II marks the bottom pit level , it seems done with a limited budged half of the one used for STWII , It seems that the dev team is completely different and is like they left design decisions in the hands of a bunch of dudes favouring unhistorical solutions and counterlogical design .
    There is no more strategy deepness in the campaign , even the bare minimum that TW usually had is almoust gone and theTactics are now Real time clashes ofmobs fighting around a capture the flag point .. no more TW ...

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

big_feef's Avatar Ordinarius

As a long time TW series player and fan: don't. The game will probably be fun in a couple of months maybe; at the moment it's a disaster. The 'features' don't really cater to anything Total War; it's like they went out of their way to either neuter or completely remove any kind of tactical substance or depth from the game. To me, the game feels like Age of Empires with a strategic map; and not one that caters to any fun strategic play either.
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools" - Thucydides

Since the sales/discount are over, just wait until next year (or more) when it's half price bundled with all the extras and there are extended opinions about any changes CA has done or mods that cover deficiencies.

Wait till Christmas. Between patches and mods it should be pretty good by then. Upgrade your PC in the meantime.

Wittman's Avatar Biarchus

+ the Iceni chariot general looks like a bearded guy in a wheelchair
    Please check your PM folder-Garb.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

@op wait for patches then ask this question again. the game is ok, but as a TW vet, the new changes are pretty jarring. if you are a new player, that feeling wouldn't affect you. if tw vet, hold off till you see some huge patches.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

damn, very quick response, thank You Vets!

seem like a huge disappointment so far, I expected your answers, but didnt expect that is so bad (

now what? try again M2TW SS for 50th time? (havent tried for a few years now)
    I got tired a bit from cannons and muskets, hopefully old game design wont repulse me

tnx once again

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Wait till 1.05, like all TW games.

Have you tried RTR VII mod for Rome? It's awesome- not saying it's perfect but far, far superior to Rome II.

Yes, it is absolutely worth buying. Its Rome 2. I would already rather play this than Shogun, Empire, or Napoleon. In time it will far surpass those games. Its not perfect but if you computer can handle it, its pretty damn good.
    Spoiler for HOTSEATS
    House Martell in This is a Hotseat
    House Arryn in This is Not a Hotseat
    House Stark in This is Most Definitely a Hotseat
    House Stannis in Hotseat: A Feast for Crows
    House Joffrey in The Requested Hotseat

People are definitely overreacting, and the people in this thread are certainly no exception. Instead of telling you if it's good or not, you're a big boy, I'll let you decide. Here is how it worksros:-The new campaign map looks amazing, and is insanely large compared to other Total War games. It's just amazing.-The graphics are improved somewhat over Shogun 2, the detail is thoroughly amazing. The coloring is not for everyone.-The music is great when it's playing.-The detail in the combat animations and whatnot are superb.-Campaign AI is far better, and definitely more reliable. Alliances are meaningful, and can be lasting.-5 difficulty modes means a lot of customization for how difficult your experience is.-The battle AI has many subtle improvements, such as generals generally acting like generals. No more suicide charges (at least in my experience).-Lots of customization options, for example, removing arrow trails and things like that. You can make the game feel a lot more like Rome total war through customization, if that's your thing.-Battles are much more chaotic in general, although if you want to play it organized like the Romans from Rome 1, you'll have to use certain units that have shield wall, formation attack, phalanx mode etc...-Factions are relatively balanced, with plenty of units to choose from. Most factions have more units to choose from than the Romans did in Rome 1, and they had a lot more than all of the other factions in Rome 1 (lol@Gaul).Mixed:-Tons of units now have abilities, like the Barbarian factions in Rome 1 which had things like Warcry.-Javelins now have a flaming mode.-Game is very fast, especially when using earlier, unprofessional armies. It's about the same speed as original Rome when using upgraded late game units. Multiplayer matches feel the exact same length.Cons:-AI sucks, this is a total war game after all.-No guard mode.-No more loose/tight formation.-Campaign AI isn't terribly expansionist, even the expansionist ones. This means that, if you're Egypt and you control all of Egypt+Persia (that's a lot), the next biggest will probably be like 1/5 your size and across the vast map. This means late game AI is no challenge.-Terrible optimization, almost any computer can play the game, but only the best on highest/higher setting (even then, I highly recommend turning off vegetation alpha, you would gasp at the sight of my specs and I can't even use it).-Not many bugs, but they exist and can decrease enjoyment. Still, it's less buggy than you'll hear on these forums.-Diplomacy can still be really odd at times, with smaller countries that you could annihilate by sneezing oddly will demand payment just for a trade agreement.

Wilder's Avatar Senator

Very long time TW fan, yes it is worth getting. I actually think there are some strong parallels with the original Rome, which is to say that it is ambitious, but puts way to much emphasis on speed and flash, with some really, really stupid design desisions. If you liked the original rome , this has a similar feel, but personally I did not. Never the less it is fun, and far more worthy of sixty bucks than any other game coming out than I can think of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittman View Post
    Is it worth buying?Nope,not now,buy it after 2-3 monhts of heavy patching,balancing,fixing and optimazing + mods.
    But if your looking for true tw game dont buy it ever,now its just a random strategy game not tw.
    It's a true TW game - every TW game has been horribly bugged at release, and R2TW is even one of the smoother ones except maybe MTW1 and S2TW. A TW game without bugs and a semi-decent AI - now that would be a really untrue TW game.

- The original RTW was so full of bugs and such terrible design flukes, I wont even mention it.
    - MTW2 had an inherit advantage for troops fighting uphill because the troops holding higher ground wouldn't hit, 2 handed units never applied their damage because their animations were too slow to ever complete a swing.
    - ETW never reached a playable state.

under the patronage of Belisarius

Irishman's Avatar Let me out of my mind

I've played every TW game, with the least played being Empire. I stopped buying releases after my experience with Empire but gave it a shot with Rome 2 because I found a really good price and have my program starting in a few weeks.

It is a good game if you can get it running (I can), but if you can wait, do so. It will save you a lot of trouble since CA has a habit of releasing unfinished games. If you really want to play though, know that it isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
    The flow of time is always cruel... its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it... A thing that does not change with time is a memory of younger days...

Under the perspicacious and benevolent patronage of the great and honorable Rez and a member of S.I.N

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan III View Post
    Have you tried RTR VII mod for Rome? It's awesome- not saying it's perfect but far, far superior to Rome II.
    All the reactions here make me believe that any RTW mod is superior to TWR2. And maybe vanilla RTW too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast