Thread: Did the 1st patch reduce extreme graphics ?

Default Did the 1st patch reduce extreme graphics ?

Since the 1st patch I notice much more texture reloading (esp. on the campaign map when switching between strategic view and map for example) and also what looks like unit sprites instead of 3D models for troops in medium/far distance on the battle field which I didn't notice before.

This is all on maximum settings including 'unlimited video memory' to avoid any downgrading.

In the benchmark I also noticed some late texture loading but no sprites.

Does anyone still have the original executable and dll without the patch from the Rome 2 folder? I stupidly didnt make a backup. Some settings might be in the data files but checking out the different executables would be interesting.

Default Re: Did the 1st patch reduce extreme graphics ?

You'll get that on the CD ROM. But, you might only have edit your preference script.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Hmmm, on the DVD everything is packed but I could try to install it from DVD with Steam in offline mode. Although I think that there is always an update from Steam necessary to actually run the game.

Doesn't work, can't install with Steam in offline mode. Stupid
    Last edited by A Barbarian; September 07, 2013 at 04:42 AM.

I'd post a copy of your preference script as an attachment and see if anybody has some pointers.
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Goudvinger's Avatar Semisalis

I must admit that I have the same 'problem'. I have all the graphics on extreme, and it looked fine (though not as good as I expected) before the patch. After the patch I thought I witnessed a subtle downgrade in graphical performance, dispite not having changed any settings. I guess I wasn't seeing ghosts.

I am just reinstalling from disk and I managed to grab some files from Steams temporary folder. Hopefully these will be the originals to make a comparison. Usually I always do a complete backup of my TW game directory since CA screwed the game (and also mods) over with patches. You can't rely on the 'no update' checkbox in Steam since it seems to reset itself to 'update' once in a while. I also still have a complete copy of Shogun 2 from before FOTS with the only version of the render engine which doesn't show some errors which were introduced with FOTS and were never fixed. I always use that version when I want to play vanilla Shogun 2 and not FOTS.

Maybe this can help.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...5357-FSQM-0382

Using Steam launch options to install retail games from disc

1. Log in to Steam and click on Library.
    2. Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm.
    3. Insert the first disc into your computer.
    4. Close Steam (Steam > Exit).
    5. Press Windows Key + R to open Run
    6. In the Run window type:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.
      Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.
    7. Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.

Doesn't help. When I replace binary files with original files the installer starts automatically again and re-updates the binaries. When I replace all (or just some) of the data files, I get a crash.I give up. Graphics are garbage on medium/far distance (closeups are nice enough). I will play Third Age mod until there is some proper LOD (sprites on extreme settings are a joke), MSAA (all vegetation/untis/buildings are pixelated on medium and far distance without it CF support (even with AMD patch, CF works for the benchmark only, not the campaign map and not for the battles). I have wasted enough of my time.

GussieFinkNottle's Avatar Domesticus

Yeah I've been noticing texture popping on the campaign map since yesterday too, particularly moving between campaign map and other views (e.g. tactical view, diplomacy), when I come out of diplomacy the map is low res for half a second. Looks a bit unimpressive
    A home without books is a body without soul - Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you rep me, please leave your name. Thx

Yeah, well once the game finished downloading on Tuesday, I closed down Steam. When I heard about the patch I avoided it until I saw some feedback. After the dx11 disable I got a playable game, I'd like to keep it that way.

http://forums.totalwar.com/forumdisp...Patch-testing?

This is similar to what occurred with previous titles. 10 or 20 patches down the line I assume things will be sorted out.

There's supposed hot fix coming for the redsky.

Hi all,

This is the beta of the patch 1 with the red sky hotfix due to go live soon. If you’d like to use it rather than wait for the official hotfix:

In your steam game library, right click Total War: Rome II. Then choose Properties and select the BETAS tab. Finally select “patch1hotfix” from the drop down list.

Please do be aware that this may not work or solve your specific issue and you take part in any beta tests at your own risk. If you do not wish to assume that risk please wait for the official live update.

Thanks

Craig

Double post, delete please.
    Last edited by wulfgar610; September 07, 2013 at 08:31 AM.