Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Tall, and I mean TALL barbarians.

kelvintyk's Avatar Primicerius

Default Tall, and I mean TALL barbarians.

I have been playing two separate campaigns as Rome and Macedon. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this but in both instances, during battles against barbarian factions, I realised my men were way shorter. The barbarian units seem to be a considerable one head taller than my Romans or Greeks. Is this intentional? Or some sort of bug? It feels odd when I see my short Romans going up against really tall levy spearmen barbarians.
    Baird: "Hey! Stop shooting it, you're pissing it off!"

Cole: "You're telling me what not to shoot in here? Look at this ****!"

Marcus: "More like 10 ****loads"

Marcus: "Hmph, they can eat **** and die for all I care..."

Default Re: Tall, and I mean TALL barbarians.

I haven't had this problem as of yet.

Indefinitely Banned
    The western part of an Island They thought a kind of Coffee...

Intentional.

Yeah, it's a feature. The Italians of the ancient world (some would say the Italians of today) were rather short people, whereas the Barbarians but especially the Germanic types were consistently remarked as being of greater physical stature. So the average Barbarian warrior was just a lot taller and bigger than his Roman legionary counterpart, and I'm pleased to see the game reflect this.

its not the germans that are tall its the med-sea people that are really short.

Thats the Biased portray and racism showed in this game , others have already lamented this and Jack Lusted seemed to not care about .

This is not only wrong genetically and historically , but its a sign of personal bias and quite offensive to the mediterranean cultures.

historically the differences by archeological finds are non relevant , and the height differences written by some autors are just exageration for poetic and dramatic representation .

Its strange how they took the "tall" feature but not the Bestiality , squalor and monsterlike descriptions .

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

they arent just a bit taller, and definitely not human-like taller. they look actually like some ogres or mountain trolls compared to the normal, civilized people

but yea, it s just what the ancient sources tell..... they were giants. but the sources also tell they were unwashed, dumb, primitive barbarians. i guess, both is true then....

"Tall, and I mean TALL barbarians"

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

Caesar notes in De Bello Gallico that during a siege, the Gauls standing on the fortifications laughed at the idea that the "diminutive" Romans could even push the siege tower that they'd built. As soon as they saw it begin to advance, they surrendered.

it is quite possible the so-called northern barbarians were a wee bit taller and bulkier in average, but this is ridicilous.
    i bet it is simply a scaling bug, like so many other bugs in this release.

one do not need to be excessively tall to appear huge to smaller people, 10 cm goes a long way. i am 1.73 northern germanic and you all look huge from down here.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Sċ tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der grĉd Enker og der grĉd Bĝrn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ĝrn.
    Anders Sĝrensen Vedel

I like it, personally Nitpicking to be focusing on stuff like this even if I didn't like it though - Would much rather people complain about the apparent lack of any campaign AI!
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

I like it, personally Nitpicking to be focusing on stuff like this even if I didn't like it though - Would much rather people complain about the apparent lack of any campaign AI!
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

I would rather say "bigger and muscular" than "taller".
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Look on the bright side, bigger men = bigger targets for your arrows.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

The height difference is huge. It is just ridiculous. It seems like an army of Shaquille O Neals vs Danny De Vitoes.

jackwei's Avatar Primicerius

The Bigger they are the harder they fall!!

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

All have common physical characteristics, blue eyes (truces et caerulei oculi = "sky-coloured, azure, dark blue, dark green), reddish hair ( rutilae comae = "red, golden-red, reddish yellow") and large bodies- Tacitus on the Germanic peoples.

It's not much, but for possibly the most recognized Roman historian to make such a comment there must have been something in it. Besides I've yet to see a historical document that described any 'Mediterranean' peoples as physically large or imposing....

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    All have common physical characteristics, blue eyes (truces et caerulei oculi = "sky-coloured, azure, dark blue, dark green), reddish hair ( rutilae comae = "red, golden-red, reddish yellow") and large bodies- Tacitus on the Germanic peoples.

It's not much, but for possibly the most recognized Roman historian to make such a comment there must have been something in it. Besides I've yet to see a historical document that described any 'Mediterranean' peoples as physically large or imposing....
    Yes and not .

Tacitus describes normal humans and the archeological evidence proves that he was not that far from truth , but as you shoudl know nazists took that book and made it an emphasis of that creating the myth of the master race and their higher heiths .
    The truth is that the height difference between Italics and germanics was very small , noticebeable , but small .

Like at maximum 10 cms .

In this picture

remove the helmet of the romans , you can see how a German youth can swallow the head of a roman and hide it inside his own two times ,
    Germans are portrayed as almoust 40 -60 cms taller and larger , basically some half giant the same proportion present betweenthe hobbits and Gandalf in the hobbit movie .
    The romans reach without the helmet the shoulder of the germans , Germans can hide completely a whole roman inside .

This is pure fantasy and exagerated stereotype by CA unit lead.

Not on Earth you can find such a mass of supersized men as a whole population .

Also imposing and tall is one thing , supersized and giantic is another .

Also worth consideringthat the minimum height for a roman was of 1.70 to be taken into the legion , so any other weak argumentation about romans beeing 1.65 or shorter is futile .
    Considering also that the Legio Italica was composed on only levies in Italy and had a minimum height of 1.80 , when the average germanic warrior was about 1.75 - 1.78
    the celt warrior about 1.72- 1.76

you can understand how that representation ingame is overly and grossly exagerated .

Finally many legionaries were includedfrom Gaul provinces and later even from germanic provinces, thus making actually romans ( like in caesar wars( caesar himselv was 1.80 m ) ) actually as tall as their foes , but ... you still see romans describe the brute beyond the civilized world as tall , big , hairy and bad ... guess why?

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

It's truly amazing how people don't seem to understand artistic exaggeration. This game is not a historical simulator. Barbarians are giant so that when you march your legions into Germania, you can go "Holy those guys are huge" as they crash into your lines like a giant, screaming wave of fury and bloodlust.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

It all depends on how you look at the game. I understand it's a computer game and is not meant to be 100% accurate and realistic in every respect, but I still don't like this type of exaggeration. It's too jarring and the difference is too ever the top to look at.

I can totally see clueless teenagers and action film fans buying into it though.
    Last edited by Neige; September 08, 2013 at 06:37 AM.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast