Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why this game is second most played game on Steam?

donkixot's Avatar Libertus

Default Why this game is second most played game on Steam?

As the title says: Why despite all the bashing of the game on forums and elsewhere on the Internet, this game is the second most played game on Steam and was so since the release date? Am I missing something?

Barkhorn1x's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Why this game is second most played game on Steam?

Man, other games on Steam must REALLY suck!!!!!!!!!
    "Après moi le déluge"

Well, some people like to play games more than talk about them I suppose. Or perhaps they want to play it and determine for themselves whether or not they like it. As opposed to being told whether or not they should.A novel idea, I know.
    Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm happy to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever!

Rome II had ALOT of preorders so logicly there will be a a high number of people playing the game even it is bugged.

People like to eat stale bread and we can't save everyone from their doom.

Cross_'s Avatar Foederatus

Not all people are dealing with the bugs. I have only had to deal with a few of the bugs my self. Tho maybe just maybe alot of people do find the game really fun to play?

VektorT's Avatar Biarchus

Marketing is a thing, my friend. Also, polemics, even good or bad, attracts attention.

Also, speaking by myself, it's not a bad game and I'm playing it since it's release despite all my critics. It's quite fun. The main problem is with the TW serie traditional fans, where that game is being mauled. And for good reasons.
    I play TW since the first Shogun and Rome2 simple is a terrible TW game. For what I expect a TW game to be, and specially a Rome 2 to be, this game is awful. I only playing it 'cause some mods already are giving it new life.

So, let me put that way:
    If you are used to play fast paced RTS or is laic to TW genre, you probably will totally love Rome 2 and will not understand why so many hate against it.
    But if you are a seasoned TW fan and/or a slow paced strategy game player, you probably will hate it and be very angry with some features added/missing.

All in all, is a matter of opinion. The TW "genre" used to be more specific game to a more specific audience but now it is going to the main crowd. It was kinda a niche game. Since now it's abandoning its old traditional ways and leaving old fans orphans, since there is no other game much like that, you can understand the vacuum this change is creating and the rage against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cross_ View Post
    Not all people are dealing with the bugs. I have only had to deal with a few of the bugs my self. Tho maybe just maybe alot of people do find the game really fun to play?
    This. Many people are having problems, but I guess many other aren't. Go watch lionheart for example.

babydoc's Avatar Semisalis

Does it say HOW LONG people are playing?
    Cant it be people trying different tweaks and what nots?

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

The game lost 45% of active players since release and this gap is growing daily. would not be like that if it was perfect. For myself I spend hours of "playing" the game testing things and patches... people that play campaign may be not that affected, who knows.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

For every one person on the internet, there are two-three of playing the game to their hearts content. It is only here, on this magical world of the internet where I find people . Everyone I know in the real world, be in the Gamestop cashier who gave me my copy, my 3 old roommates, my friend from high school, half of the people in my Rising Storm game last night, are all loving the game..

If you are used to play fast paced RTS or is laic to TW genre, you probably will totally love Rome 2 and will not understand why so many hate against it.
    But if you are a seasoned TW fan and/or a slow paced strategy game player, you probably will hate it and be very angry with some features added/missing.
    Actually, I've been playing since Shogun 1 came out, the only TW I haven't played is Medieval 1. I have been keeping tabs on Rome 2 since it was announced, got super hyped for it, pre-ordered, everything. And as a matter of fact, I really like this game. I wouldn't say it's the best Total War game in the series, but it's actually really fun for me. Yes, the game's difficulty is kinda botched right now but that's about the only thing I've had trouble with.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Because it's a good game.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Petrobras View Post
    Marketing is a thing, my friend. Also, polemics, even good or bad, attracts attention.

Also, speaking by myself, it's not a bad game and I'm playing it since it's release despite all my critics. It's quite fun. The main problem is with the TW serie traditional fans, where that game is being mauled. And for good reasons.
    I play TW since the first Shogun and Rome2 simple is a terrible TW game. For what I expect a TW game to be, and specially a Rome 2 to be, this game is awful. I only playing it 'cause some mods already are giving it new life.

So, let me put that way:

All in all, is a matter of opinion. The TW "genre" used to be more specific game to a more specific audience but now it is going to the main crowd. It was kinda a niche game. Since now it's abandoning its old traditional ways and leaving old fans orphans, since there is no other game much like that, you can understand the vacuum this change is creating and the rage against it.

A lot of truth in this. I would say that if Craig, Ca and SEGA were honest with us and stopped lying, THIS is what they would say, "We are focusing on the RTS Command and Conquer\Starcraft crowd, we are no longer in realistic or attempted realism as with previous TWs because the money is in fast paced fantasy kiddie games and we`re about making MONEY, not propping up a niche game. Get used to it.`

But they don`t even have the balls to be that honest about it. they`d rather string us along pretending it`s still the same TW.

A lot of truth in this. I would say that if Craig, Ca and SEGA were honest with us and stopped lying, THIS is what they would say, "We are focusing on the RTS Command and Conquer\Starcraft crowd, we are no longer in realistic or attempted realism as with previous TWs because the money is in fast paced fantasy kiddie games and we`re about making MONEY, not propping up a niche game. Get used to it.`

But they don`t even have the balls to be that honest about it. they`d rather string us along pretending it`s still the same TW.
    Says the man who's never played Rome 2.

Quote Originally Posted by donkixot View Post
    As the title says: Why despite all the bashing of the game on forums and elsewhere on the Internet, this game is the second most played game on Steam and was so since the release date? Am I missing something?
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...nd-the-reality Actually here you can see that Rome II lost about 50% of the players during the first week.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_IX View Post
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...nd-the-reality Actually here you can see that Rome II lost about 50% of the players during the first week.
    I hope you understand that a lot of people have jobs and school. That can most certainly drop the numbers of players by a lot.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Same reason why we pick at scabs or poke at our injuries. We are curious and when something gets this much attention it is bound to draw a crowd. I agree that this game is turning into to much of a simple RTS (which I hate). If they keep this up, it will unfortunately be without me as I left for all of Empire and Napoleon, only to be brought back by S2. Though that still lacked many crucial features of the older titles.

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    I hope you understand that a lot of people have jobs and school. That can most certainly drop the numbers of players by a lot.
    Sure I agree with you. I also hope you understand that a lot of people are not satisfied with the game (me included) and stopped playing it, at least until CA improve it significatnly. That can most certainly drop the numbers of players by a lot.

@Ferdiad

Not it's not. At least not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by donkixot View Post
    Because there are lot of people who do not agree with the people who continuously bash Rome II that this game is not playable? They enjoy it, so they play. What's your problem?
    The Armenian Issue

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast