Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why do people think this will be fixed? Evidence and history tells us the opposite.

Default Why do people think this will be fixed? Evidence and history tells us the opposite.

I have a memory that will make CA tremble in fear and i did not know quite where to put this post, or if it warranted a thread but alas going by the current lag and mass forum spamming by people from 2013 either thanking or claiming the game will eventually be fixed i thought hell, what more harm can it do but to enlighten a few people living in the dark ages.

Firstly i remember the good launches like Rome I,Napoelon,Medieval II and Shogun II and i remember my distinct feelings towards each title including the bad launches of Rome II and Empire Totalwar.When i first played the original rome sure it had faults and needed a realism patch but i still felt the game was epic and that turned out to be warranted going by the spawn of realistic mods and televisions shows like Time Commanders and Decisive Battles.Medieval II launch was more of the same except the Naval Invasions and day one patch took two months to quell some unrest.Napoelon was also a polished launch apart from again the same realism and minor bug's denting the perfection of the titles.And Shogun II apart from DX 11 at launch and another invasions bug was again a great game that although too fast just felt and looked perfect.

And then i remember the bad releases.I remember picking up Empire on day one through pre order and within about a minute into a custom battle i knew it was doomed.It felt pre alpha and the sounds were really amatuerish and overall i just hated that game and to this day i have not returned.And then just yesterday night i managed to get my hands on a copy of Rome II to try for a few hours.And again i felt that horrid stomach churning feeling i had with Empire.It felt like i had walked into the exact same room.It was truly as they say deja vu and we all know that ETW never really got fixed it was only until NTW that everything got polished.But even the minor bugs in thier great games have never been fixed either.There is a thread in the Shogun II forums called gloss and has many pages about how randomly one day everyone was hit by a patch for fall of the samurai.Little did we all know that it was including optimizations for FOTS which would degrade the original Shogun II.So when gloss went so did the color, and the shiny metal effects.High dynamic range also got shafted as did depth of field and the most important of all is the draw distance got drastically reduced to the point where i was getting sprites fully zoomed in on a 2GB card.

There is a user on here called Bobo who could tell you all about the onna bushi and how thier stunning faces and high quality models dissapeared overnight.Or Barbarian can tell you how much of a contrast there is between his backup before the changes looked.Even when i go into my Avatar profile to view him he is still a shadow of his former self with still bugged trousers and Helmet.All the pictures and evidence is still preserved in the original thread.

So with a straight face who honestly thinks that they are going to pour the immense time and resources needed to fix this all while working on the next totalwar title in the background? We all know that work on this title has already started and the money from Rome development is probably spent on whatever they did accomplish.A letter from Mike Simpson or not im not even in the slightest optimistic about seeing my beloved romans given justice until another ten years down the line.
    3570K 4700mhz cooled with Corsair H80 // Asus Z77 // MSI GTX 580
    16GB 2400mhz DDR3 // Crucial M4 256GB Raid 0 // Dell 2007WFP

Default Re: Why do people think this will be fixed? Evidence and history tells us the opposite.

I hope your not correct. I suspect however you are.

=Vastator='s Avatar Senator

Default Re: Why do people think this will be fixed? Evidence and history tells us the opposite.

I don't like it, but you're right.
    Let's not forget about the Shogun 2 naval battles on campaign that got broken (ships stuck on red border) after FotS and were NEVER fixed...
    Disclaimer: the post above is way way prealpha, the final version will be way better than this.

Well going by http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/09/to...-in-uk-charts/ and then it going on to actually beat Saints Row IV and take top spot points to a strange scenario.Would CA see this launch as a success or a failure? The sales early on are obviously impressive but what does this mean to both us and CA?

Do CA agree that it is a failure yet still a good game worthy of the pre ordered or do they see it as something they might have to patch along the way but ultimatly wil be defined by what is built upon its foundations which actually is not an awful lot as most things are actually removed from its foundations.The only upside to it is the fact that Mike actually blogged about constant support.Not since Empire has he came out with a blog and put his hands in the air as if to say yes im guilty.

But then again Empire also boasted strong sales and if i am correnct might just be the most sucessful Totalwar yet? Maybe an expert in ETW could enlighten people more into this trend than i can but i do not think ETW is a good game anywhere near NTW.And this is a funny trend why are the worst and most bug infested and unpolished totalwar games the most successful?

Weird

Yuko's Avatar Campidoctor

Good launches like Rome 1 and Medieval 2? are you kidding me?

two handed units didn't even work in Medieval 2. their animation was so slow so they never hit the enemy. and it was like that for a while before they even patched it.

the only two launches that were playable from day 1 without any terrible issue were Napoleon and Shogun 2. (not counting the original Shogun and Medieval)

Threads like this are becoming pointless already. yes, we know Rome 2 was released in a terrible state. almost like Empire.
    But honestly they mostly fixed Empire, they are patching this one, if they don't patch it enough and its still unplayable in a few months, then we complain, then we don't buy Total War games. right now they are going in the right direction, The beta of patch 2 has significantly improved the game already.

Very good thread, I'm glad you made it. I agree with you 100%. I like the way you explained your feelings with each title in which I agree with you too, and finally the lackluster products of Empire and Rome II, same feeling here. I reinstalled Empire the other day and I removed it, same day. I feel the same about this current title, Rome II. It's truly a shame because a lot of people were excited about it. I currently have Napoleon and Shogun II installed on my drive also.

King_Porus's Avatar Senator

lol Medieval 2 was a good launch? You clearly aren't remembering correctly, Medieval was so plagued by bugs that I vowed to never buy another TW game (when patches and mods came out I changed my mind). Two handed units didn't even work and pike units were completely messed up.

Napoleon and Shogun 2 were the only TW games that weren't released with game-breaking bugs and Shogun 2 didn't even have AA on release.

CA's track record for fixing games that seemed rotten to the core on release is excellent. Empire vanilla is playable and with mods it's my favourite TW game and has more people currently playing it than Shogun 2. Rome and Medieval are both fixed and mods make them great. Shogun 2 was fixed and it's probably the best vanilla game of them all right now.

Patch 2 beta for Rome 2 fixed a TON of stuff, battles are longer and there is less battlefield lag. Give CA until the new year and we'll be playing a great, polished game that even beats out Shogun 2 vanilla. Give modders a few months and we'll have even more mods than we already have and hopefully some things like family tree and completely fleshed out turn per year mods.
    And for the record I'm having a pretty good time with Rome 2, but I definitely feel for the people who can't even play it because of bugs and optimization problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    I have a memory that will make CA tremble in fear and i did not know quite where to put this post
    How about the trash bin?

Firstly i remember the good launches like Rome I,Napoelon,Medieval II and Shogun II
    LMAO. You never played those games, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Masaky View Post
    Good launches like Rome 1 and Medieval 2? are you kidding me?

two handed units didn't even work in Medieval 2. their animation was so slow so they never hit the enemy. and it was like that for a while before they even patched it.

the only two launches that were playable from day 1 without any terrible issue were Napoleon and Shogun 2. (not counting the original Shogun and Medieval)

Threads like this are becoming pointless already. yes, we know Rome 2 was released in a terrible state. almost like Empire.
    But honestly they mostly fixed Empire, they are patching this one, if they don't patch it enough and its still unplayable in a few months, then we complain, then we don't buy Total War games. right now they are going in the right direction, The beta of patch 2 has significantly improved the game already.
    Thats probebly because of scale, Napoleon was basicly Empire expantion, so they could consentrate on campaign and unit uniforms, Shogun had only a few diffrent units, so alot of time could go into new UI, gameplay improvments ect.

Rome 1, Medieval 2, Empire Rome 2 are all huge game, rome 1 had the advantage og long development, Medieval 2 of having lots of resources from rome 1(which my that time was a very solid game engien vise) But even those two were plagued by problems, Empire was a fiasco and I still can't play it, partly because well it sucks, partly becasue musket warfare dosn't work in total war. and partly because the are only like 5 uniforms in the whole game.(and the uniforms are even fantacy uniforms)

Empire was a disaster at launch, but it got fixed. It is still the best total war game. so your pessimism are unfounded.
    Lieber fünf Minuten feig als ein Leben lang tot.

i can play it but i dont im waiting for 1 or 2 big patches. and i dont have the feeling that rome 1 gave me!, and rome 2 supposed to be its successor

Quote Originally Posted by lollaaja View Post
    How about the trash bin?

LMAO. You never played those games, it seems.
    Yea what have i been doing here since 2005? Where you been man huh?

When i first played the original rome sure it had faults and needed a realism patch but i still felt the game was epic and that turned out to be warranted going by the spawn of realistic mods and televisions shows like Time Commanders and Decisive Battles.Medieval II launch was more of the same
    And i never said they were perfect i called them good launches with with faults.Anyone who plays totalwar should know better than to presume i meant by my post that they were pefect.No totalwar game has been launched issue free but upon loading it up you get a feel within minutes on if it will ever be good or not.As i said all the games i described as good gave me a good feeling even if i forgot about the Medieval II Zweihander bug which took 6 months.And as for the lack of AA quoted i did say about missing DX 11 on launch and with S2 DX11 is needed for MSAA.

ETW has a bad feel about it so does R2.The other games simply do not have that feeling and if you listen to your inner thoughtswhen first playing you will either be saying good or bad.For me im just saying i got the bad voice and that never ever went away.

Yet Empire and Rome 2 are the most successful Total War games according to Steam statistics.

ETW has a bad feel about it so does R2. The other games simply do not have that feeling and if you listen to your inner thoughtswhen first playing you will either be saying good or bad.For me im just saying i got the bad voice and that never ever went away.
    This is a purely subjective judgement, you know. From my perspective: I could feel at once that ETW had the potential to be a great game, and after some patches, it was, and is, great. I am pretty sure, that when Rome 2 gets fixed, it will be great, too.
    Lieber fünf Minuten feig als ein Leben lang tot.

Yuko's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfreak View Post
    Thats probebly because of scale, Napoleon was basicly Empire expantion, so they could consentrate on campaign and unit uniforms, Shogun had only a few diffrent units, so alot of time could go into new UI, gameplay improvments ect.

Rome 1, Medieval 2, Empire Rome 2 are all huge game, rome 1 had the advantage og long development, Medieval 2 of having lots of resources from rome 1(which my that time was a very solid game engien vise) But even those two were plagued by problems, Empire was a fiasco and I still can't play it, partly because well it sucks, partly becasue musket warfare dosn't work in total war. and partly because the are only like 5 uniforms in the whole game.(and the uniforms are even fantacy uniforms)
    Maybe it was the scale. but still, saying Medieval 2 and Rome 1 were "good launches" is completely wrong. and just makes Jedi sound ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Porus View Post
    Yet Empire and Rome 2 are the most successful Total War games according to Steam statistics.
    Read the bottom of post #4

Not to go off-topic, but have you recently played E:TW with Darth Mod? It's easily the best game in the series IMO, and in a time, I'm sure patched Rome 2 with a mod of that caliber will be the new holder of that title. In the end, it's all up to personal opinion.

so a mod need tho fix this game thats clear rubbish.

You are right jedi.I totally agree with you. I've liked Rome 1, medieval 2, napoleon and shogun 2.They felt complete and exciting . I spend a good amount of time in each of these games and although I didn't like the setting of shogun as medieval and napoleon I played it more than empire. Empire and Rome 2..Those both I just can't like. I try hard to like them both but they feel so shallow, boring. I had high hopes for Rome 2, but it's just overhyped like empire.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Firstly i remember the good launches like Rome I
    Do you? Do you remember defending a hole in a wooden wall from an entire army with 3 units of pikemen? Do you remember full stack armies of peasants and ballista? Do you remember an enemy army stack walking around with a captain, and the general walking around by himself nearby? Remember suicide generals?
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast