View Poll Results: The Features that were previously and aren't anymore that you want/miss

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Family tree

122 85.31%
  • The old trait system for generals

86 60.14%
  • The old building system

54 37.76%
  • The old warscape towns

20 13.99%
  • The old City system from rome 1 and m2tw

42 29.37%
  • Videos for agent actions/ faction introduction

86 60.14%
  • Battle instances like guard mode, shiltron...

107 74.83%
  • The old research tree

49 34.27%
  • Moving of capitals

78 54.55%
  • Cinematic battle speeches (they are still there, don't move the general and you will hear)

60 41.96%
  • Seasons

48 33.57%

6 4.20%
  • Siege engines for no instant assaults

33 23.08%
  • no I don't miss them! good grief!

1 0.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Features that were previously and aren't anymore that you want/miss

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: The Features that were previously and aren't anymore that you want/miss

By the gods ! I miss them all !
    Just the old warscape city I don't care. Can we call them cities anyway ? RTW and M2TW had real cities on the opposite.

In my eyes the most important are the old trait system and the old building system. Both could use some innovations of course, I am not a brainless reactionary, but they makes more interesting bases to work with. Family Tree and Moving capital are very nice details. I don't understand why both were removed.

The new ability direction makes me doubt about TW future through. Flaming arrows for horse archer and flaming javelins for every javeliners is a no way for me and will probably keep me away form any complete vanilla experience as long as they will stay.

I am going to add Pre-Empire IU and pre Shogun 2 portrait. The first was far more easier to use and add to the game atmosphere while the second was just as good as the in-game portrait but is less gourmand performance wise.
    Last edited by Anna_Gein; September 15, 2013 at 03:45 AM.

Default Re: The Features that were previously and aren't anymore that you want/miss

I dont know if you speak french or not, but if not, i give to you links on the official forum of all my suggestions (maybe some might interest you ? If so, do not hesitate to support them in your official English topics because CA agree to improve the game and add content and request our suggestions and ideas) with google translate :
    - Campaign ==> http://translate.google.fr/translate...te-de-campagne
    - Graphics / animations ==> http://translate.google.fr/translate...%25A0-rajouter
    - Audio ==> http://translate.google.fr/translate...-batailles)%20
    - GAMEPLAY ==> http://translate.google.fr/translate..._newbie_pro%20
    - Battles ==> http://translate.google.fr/translate...-les-batailles
    RTW 1 fan - betrayed, disillusioned, disgusted with Rome 2.
    My thematic camping project on autonomy ==> http://www.camping-la-ressource.fr/

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

Im going to be sincere, I did this thread, because I actually don't miss anything, so I wanted to know what was the people missed the most and try to understand it

I found those videos funny and the entry faction videos were entertaining.

I didn't care about the trait system, it was annoying to say the least and a pain to visualise all of it specially with mods. it really didn't add any depth to the character

Family trees were a pain to scroll and to assign the one guy that was going to be heir was annoying

I prefer the new building system, which actually forces me to make decisions, instead of building all

I actually think the research tree is better this way, its simpler to have the info that you want, not always more = better, specially with info

I don't miss the battle stances that I rarely used, mainly was guard mode and I would apply anyway at the start of the battle, so it wasn't something dynamic

I don't see the relevance of moving capitals in the new engine, since you don't have any penalties, nor you did before. You actually moved the capital to avoid corruption and the distance to capital penalty

Next thread is about the most voted missing thing, to try to find out why you guys miss it

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

I was looking for the option "none of them, they are better gone".

You should have included city view that Rome 1 had.

I forgot a lot apparently, I didn't use city view much but it was interesting

I was going for something hilarious and in the end forgot to put it, that was supposed to be the option of none at all.

I will ask a mod to add it

I forgot a lot apparently, I didn't use city view much but it was interesting

I was going for something hilarious and in the end forgot to put it, that was supposed to be the option of none at all.

I will ask a mod to add it

Voted for all except Warscape towns and old research three.

Quote Originally Posted by youngfool View Post
    Doubt I will go back to Rome II till CA or a mod brings back the family tree and the old trait system.
    ... and bring back walls, remove Steam requirement etc. etc.

Langer Kerl's Avatar Decanus

Something to add to the list:

- culture specific winning-and losing music after a battle

- graphical representations of armor- and weapon upgrades on the units

One thing not mentioned that I liked about Empire was the Prestige comparison between your Empire and the other major ones. I liked seeing how I ranked among the other nations, and who was strong and who was weak. I wish Rome II had something like that.

And multiple years per turn is another one as well, which for me anyways, only matters in terms of General's aging process.
    The rest I am fine with.

What about the faction overview tab where you could compare the factions' strength, economy, territories, ... and see how well you compared to other factions.

The old trait system was crap imo, no control whatsoever. there was no technology tree in rome 1, if you mean the tree from shogun 2, heck no! seasons were cool and so were agent videos. the new settlement system is great, i wish there were a lot more varied settlements though (10+ more types of unwalled cities.)

the old building system? i think the new one where you build and the campaign map changes accordingly is FAR superior to not having an effect on the look from the campaign map.

battle stances like guard/shiltron/melee troops with fire at will, those arent a priority for me tbh. I know how most of you guys fight (on hill in noob box with fire at will on and guard mode) and I always play a much more offensive position, fire at will for melee was useful i guess but guard mode is rarely used by me, getting a charge bonus is much more important imo than being a static sitting duck.

Im not gonna lie I didnt think the whole family tree thing would bother me, but it really does I miss how it was in RTW and MTW2, that and the season change I didnt think the whole one turn per year would be a big deal but it really is.

Im not gonna lie I didnt think the whole family tree thing would bother me, but it really does I miss how it was in RTW and MTW2, that and the season change I didnt think the whole one turn per year would be a big deal but it really is. Ive never understood why Game makers do this now...have a bunch of cool features in one game then take away half of them later on.

I don't miss seasons, but I really would like at least 2tpy, since the age doesn't appear when you are recruiting your general, sometimes I had general die of old age before the army was completed, talk about annoying.

2 questions to you fair folk, What does the family tree gives to you? and what does the old trait system gives to you?

one thing that I would like to point out is that we have been without the trait system since warscape, why now is it important?

1. I sorely miss my forts. I have no problem with limiting the field armies, and we players can quibble and/or mod exactly how many we want or think reasonable, but, to me, I liked them. I liked building my limes, garrisoning them and positioning a field army within a march or three from them. They were just a speed-bump not expected to be defeat reckless or overwhelming assaults or hold out in sieges more them a couple of turns. I'm fine with the, "you can't move units without a general", but, please, let me build and leave garrisons in forts. I can't stand the current army-with-a-bunch-of-pointy-sticks graphics! grrrrr. Don't get me wrong I love this game. I've been waiting for years for you guys, CA, to redo RTW, with naval battles! Awesome! Even if they suck without mods, Most of us are happy and expect you'll fix the bugs. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by King Philip II View Post

...remove Steam requirement etc. etc.
    As things stand now, you are gonna have to give up on that dream it seems. I cant see this happening anytime soon.

The Great War Mod for NTW!

VektorT's Avatar Biarchus

Well, Karamazovmm, I will awnser you without quotes 'cause it takes longer than passing the hundredth turn.

"2 questions to you fair folk, What does the family tree gives to you? and what does the old trait system gives to you?"

And it's only my opinion and personal taste, by the way.

The family trees and the old trait system, that I call myself "immersive traits", gave me much more... immersion (a.k.a. 'fun').
    I grown attached to some characters or a specific family tree, especially 'cause since I didn't had direct control over they traits, I was very happy when they became exactly what I want, 'cause it was not that simple like 'leveling up'. Also I was used to build specific cities only for education. With great temples, libraries, universities, an excelent governor (also a important thing that is missing) and none of those pesky building that give my spys and assassins but also bad traits to the general in it. It felt much more true, like I was actively taking part in a much more alive game experience. Also now are just one kind o character: the general. All traits are basically military and gained through battle. Before that, when you can have a governor, you gain as much traits with the time and ruling as you gain through battle. In Rome2 if you leave one character without touching it, he will be the same 30 laters. In Rome1, his "personality" will develop anyway.

The 'leveling up' traits feels to vague, both for general and also for armies. I end up always with the same general, and none of their traits take a vivid part of the world... I remember when a promising child has the "Smart" of something like that trait, that led to quickly learning and possible better traits. In Medieval 2 we used to have also the excelent chilvary/dread system, and I always try to drive my characters to the one I think suits him better.

Let me put that way... I dont know how old are you, but you probably played with some kind of Tamagotchi when you was young. It was cool 'cause you didn't had direct control over it. You cant choose when it was hungry, if it will be sick or not, if it will woke up in the middle of the night... Imagine now a Tamagotchi that you actually choose when it hungry or thirsty. What is the point of feeding him if you dont need to? It dont felt alive. It wasn't a "bichinho virtual" as we used to call him here in Brazil (I saw you are a compatriot). It was... just... something else. I feel something like it with the trait system in Rome2...

Also it's important now 'cause Rome2 is the first one who takes it out of it predecessor. Empire/Napoleonic was the first in their line, Shogun1 didn't had it (as far as I remember), but Rome1 had it and Rome2 just stripped it out. It's what we call "missing feature".
    Last edited by VektorT; September 15, 2013 at 06:29 PM.

its interesting I had no attachments whatsoever to my generals, off course I always tried to make them the best that I could, but I would just tailor them to be either a good governor or a good general, I sent several to death ships and suicide charges if they didn't meet the quota, after all the number was limited

I always found very tiring and not satisfying that in mods I would send my minions to rome or sparta for training, specially after long journeys of going there and back

But yes I get your take, I remember that I received a warning in class because of my tamagochi, that damned thing started moaning for food and I gave it, friend started raving about it, teacher noticed, all hell broke lose, because after that it was banned in my school to have tamagochi and my aggro levels really raised, I should have punched that friend

Family tree with some rudimentary 'genetics' and an S2TW like tree view when upgrading characters.

under the patronage of Belisarius

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12