Thread: Bad Diplomacy?

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Default Bad Diplomacy?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I get things like this all the time. I just declared war on them, and invaded their territory with two legions. I attacked their entire army (Which was sitting near the capitol) and destroyed it in a very close battle.

I couldn't attack immediately afterwards, so I held off from besieging the settlement. Their very next turn, this is the default offer they gave to me.

I didn't accept it, because I want the province, but still that's a pretty great offer! I keep seeing people who are saying diplomacy is terrible, but I get offers like this all the time.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Default Re: Bad Diplomacy?

What difficulty are you on because on VH or Legendary in multiple campaigns I have never seen anything like this. If anything they insist I pay them for the peace treaty.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

I play on VH, and get things like this all the time. By far the smartest CAI ever imo.

Not really the same thing happened to me I played as Egypt and took Cyrenacia's closest province that happens to produce food in it's town on the first turn . Once I took that it caused a food shortage that Cyrenacia asked for peace and offered me money. Playing around with what get I could get they would agree to be my client state and a trade agreement. Too bad for them I wanted to destroy them, but it's nice to see the A.I knows when you have it by the balls.

I'm playing on legendary and had AIs begging for peace whilst offering money for it on each turn since declaring war on them.

They actually behave very french once you've secured your own borders with NAPs and have a military capable of absolutely curbstomping them and after dismembering them by selectivley taking out a region that is crucial to their economy.
    Last edited by Niccolo Machiavelli; September 15, 2013 at 07:23 PM.

under the patronage of Belisarius

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    I play on VH, and get things like this all the time. By far the smartest CAI ever imo.
    Really? Yeah good that the AI knows when it's defeated.

But... question to all of you: have you EVER, ever seen that 2 AI factions ally each other? ofc the ones that are allied from the start don't count. I haven't. This is really gamebreaking.

It would be absolutely mandatory for one province factions to seek alliances with fellow factions, especially if they are threatened by bigger, stronger factions.

Besides, AI is apparently not able to handle food/public order. I often see the AI suffer from atrittion in their own province. Not the smartest CAI I would say. But certainly better than Rome I's atleast.
    Last edited by Candy_Licker; September 16, 2013 at 06:06 AM.

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Licker View Post
    Really? Yeah good that the AI knows when it's defeated. But... question to all of you: have you EVER, ever seen that 2 AI factions ally each other? ofc the ones that are allied from the start don't count. I haven't. This is really gamebreaking.It would be absolutely mandatory for one province factions to seek alliances with fellow factions, especially if they are threatened by bigger, stronger factions.
    In my Rome campaign Sparta and Athens became allies.

[N2]Kami's Avatar Semisalis

Why had I never see that? In my Rome hard campaign and Carthage VH campaign. I never see something like that. Either war or I don't ing want to trade with you.

Quote Originally Posted by [N2]Kami View Post
    Why had I never see that? In my Rome hard campaign and Carthage VH campaign. I never see something like that. Either war or I don't ing want to trade with you.
    He's probably playing on Normal. At Harder campaign levels the human player is the AI's target and diplomacy, in a broader sense, doesn't make sense. As I've said many times, as it is now the player must decide between a handicapped AI accompanied by reasonable Diplomacy (Normal), or a challenging AI that will receive some welcome bonuses (additional taxes, free administrative penalties, revolt risk decreased, one extra recruitment slot etc.) accompanied by atrocious diplomacy. It would be greatly appreciated if Creative Assembly would finally separate those two things, thus creating "Extra Bonuses level difficulty" and "Diplomacy difficulty".
    Last edited by AlexCouceiro; September 16, 2013 at 07:00 AM.
    AlexCouceiro is Caligula, son of Germanicus, Roman

Dustindesrctin's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Licker View Post
    Really? Yeah good that the AI knows when it's defeated.

But... question to all of you: have you EVER, ever seen that 2 AI factions ally each other? ofc the ones that are allied from the start don't count. I haven't. This is really gamebreaking.

It would be absolutely mandatory for one province factions to seek alliances with fellow factions, especially if they are threatened by bigger, stronger factions.

Besides, AI is apparently not able to handle food/public order. I often see the AI suffer from atrittion in their own province. Not the smartest CAI I would say. But certainly better than Rome I's atleast.
    In my Pontus campaign Sparta and Athens allied, Sparta and Macedon move up from defensive allies to military allies. Sardes and Rome also allied. Some tribe I was fighting allied with Armenia who I was fighting and jointly took one of Armenia's cities back.

The CAI seems really good so far.

I am trading with every faction that can be traded with atm (except the two factions I'm at war with of course) and I forged an alliance with Peragmon. My next move is to finish conquering Armenia then attempt to ally with Egypt and move together against the Seleucids.

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli View Post
    I'm playing on legendary and had AIs begging for peace whilst offering money for it on each turn since declaring war on them.

They actually behave very french once you've secured your own borders with NAPs and have a military capable of absolutely curbstomping them and after dismembering them by selectivley taking out a region that is crucial to their economy.
    Playing as Sparta on Legendary, diplomacy was decent up til about the time I had 20 or more settlements.
    From there on out, there is no negotiation. Not for client states, not for Peace once war is enjoined, not even for Trade Treaties.
    For laughs I ran the treasury up to ridiculous amounts and offered all of it to various factions for: a. Peace against a faction with 1 city left and starvation; b. Trade with a faction that I had good relations with. Even with a million coin thrown in, they would not budge.
    I have steadfast with all factions as well -- even those I'm at war with.
    You're all either playing on Normal, not progressed far enough, or lying through your teeth on this one. Diplomacy is wretchedly useless in this game. There is no negotiation, even when they have nothing left.
    I've got trade with around 8 - 10 factions, but all those trade routs were established many moons ago.