Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega is the most important customer of all-- Mike Simpson 2009 qoute

SteamPunk's Avatar Civis

Icon1 Sega is the most important customer of all-- Mike Simpson 2009 qoute

i was reading the Rome 2 review over at incgamers.com( They gave it 4/10). They also mention a qoute from Mike Simpson taken in 2009.

We do however also have another customer who we make the game for, and in one particular way they are the most important of all. It’s our publisher [SEGA], who is driven by the grim necessity of commercial reality. Those necessities tend to be short term compared with the dev time of a game or the lifetime of a series. They are also necessities that we cannot ignore – if we do it’s Game Over. Empire: Total War happened the only way it could – it had to be in a box in Feb 09.

Seems that nothing has changed since 2009 and Empire, regarding releasing an unfinished game.

Jusy thought i would share the qoute.

Snizel's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Sega is the most important customer of all-- Mike Simpson 2009 qoute

It's obvious Rome 2 is unfinished. Most people I think hold SEGA accountable for the rush job but CA made some bad gameplay choices regardless.
    I saw, I bought, I played

Default Re: Sega is the most important customer of all-- Mike Simpson 2009 qoute

Well, that's how gaming is nowadays. Is the sad reality.

When a game company does good, publishers instead of helping them grow, they demand more and more out of them. Simply put, they shamelessly milk them until they run out of creativity.

CA is not the only company that has suffered that fate. But many other companies have done so as well, some have fared better *DICE* while other have lost credibility *BioWare, Maxis* while others just don't bother trying and embraced that ideology and wait until they have enough money to buy themselves out of their publisher *Activision*

That's why when companies like Firaxis and Rockstar release their games, we expect quality product. Because despite being ruled by a powerful publisher on the back *Take-Two*. That same publisher actually promotes game quality and that's why we get those awesome games.

CA does have a voice in this matter, they can demand SEGA more time to release their games. They can even release a paid beta through Steam for public feedback. But instead they just decided to become the vassals of SEGA. Kinda ironic considering how useless are vassals in Total War.

Tim_Ward's Avatar Campidoctor
    Up High in the North, at the end of my rocky road

They can even release a paid beta through Steam for public feedback.
    Isn't that exactly what they did?
    Dominion of Dust. A city of sand. Built your world of nothing. So how long did it stand?
    A 100 years? Now wasn't it grand? Built your world of nothing. How long did it stand?
    What did you think would happen? When did you think it would all fall down?
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Did yourself right, so let's feel grand.
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Now there's nowhere left to stand.

SteamPunk's Avatar Civis

But instead they just decided to become the vassals of SEGA. Kinda ironic considering how useless are vassals in Total War.

Menumorut's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Arcani 4 Ever View Post
    Well, that's how gaming is nowadays. Is the sad reality.When a game company does good, publishers instead of helping them grow, they demand more and more out of them. Simply put, they shamelessly milk them until they run out of creativity.CA is not the only company that has suffered that fate. But many other companies have done so as well, some have fared better *DICE* while other have lost credibility *BioWare, Maxis* while others just don't bother trying and embraced that ideology and wait until they have enough money to buy themselves out of their publisher *Activision* That's why when companies like Firaxis and Rockstar release their games, we expect quality product. Because despite being ruled by a powerful publisher on the back *Take-Two*. That same publisher actually promotes game quality and that's why we get those awesome games.CA does have a voice in this matter, they can demand SEGA more time to release their games. They can even release a paid beta through Steam for public feedback. But instead they just decided to become the vassals of SEGA. Kinda ironic considering how useless are vassals in Total War.
    the best explanation I've read so far on TW forums+1rep!

»MY GRAPHIC WORKSHOP« UNDER THE PARONAGE OF G☼D HIMSELF »MY ROMEII FAN ART«

Quote Originally Posted by Arcani 4 Ever View Post
    Well, that's how gaming is nowadays. Is the sad reality.

When a game company does good, publishers instead of helping them grow, they demand more and more out of them. Simply put, they shamelessly milk them until they run out of creativity.

CA is not the only company that has suffered that fate. But many other companies have done so as well, some have fared better *DICE* while other have lost credibility *BioWare, Maxis* while others just don't bother trying and embraced that ideology and wait until they have enough money to buy themselves out of their publisher *Activision*

That's why when companies like Firaxis and Rockstar release their games, we expect quality product. Because despite being ruled by a powerful publisher on the back *Take-Two*. That same publisher actually promotes game quality and that's why we get those awesome games.

CA does have a voice in this matter, they can demand SEGA more time to release their games. They can even release a paid beta through Steam for public feedback. But instead they just decided to become the vassals of SEGA. Kinda ironic considering how useless are vassals in Total War.

Very well said.

It's like the stories I've heard, being involved in Dairy cows, about some ranches milking them so dry that the milk can be contaminated with blood.

That's what's happening to the video game industry, they're being milked, and milked, and milked until the blood is in the milk.

This milk, when it's fresh and new it's great, the next is just as good, maybe enough milk for 3-4 bottles that are the tastiest in the world. Until the farmer gets greedy and starts to really milk the cow. It's not as good it feels like the cow was stressed, the blood is in the milk, the blood are the bugs and the milk taste bad.

It's saddening.

SirPeacemaker's Avatar Centenarius

I think the worst thing about this is the fact, that EU dont want and its not going to change the rules in game industry as they should be. In every other industry if you dont like the product, you have some days to try it and if you dont like it, you just get refund. But not in game industry. You paid, they ripped you off, who cares?
    Very good rocking song. The message of the song: WHEN PEOPLE LEARN TRUTH ABOUT UKRAINIAN WAR, THEY WILL GO INSANE!! (I suggest to turn the english subtitles on. Its over 18only because of violent pictures) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAR6nUV7VI

Quote Originally Posted by SirPeacemaker View Post
    I think the worst thing about this is the fact, that EU dont want and its not going to change the rules in game industry as they should be. In every other industry if you dont like the product, you have some days to try it and if you dont like it, you just get refund. But not in game industry. You paid, they ripped you off, who cares?
    hope you have your tinfoil hat ready ... also ... this is the same worldwide and applies TO ANY KIND OF SOFTWARE NOT JUST GAMES. so stop blaming the gaming industry when fishes a lot bigger then the likes of Sega, EA and Actvision have established this...
    Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski".
    You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude.
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh,
    His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not
    into the whole brevity thing.

-- The Dude

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
    hope you have your tinfoil hat ready ... also ... this is the same worldwide and applies TO ANY KIND OF SOFTWARE NOT JUST GAMES. so stop blaming the gaming industry when fishes a lot bigger then the likes of Sega, EA and Actvision have established this...
    SEGA is not the most important customer of all. The CUSTOMER is. even SEGA would say that.

One day, the governing bodies will regualte the gaming industry`s greed and deceptions much as they do with most things that get too big for their boots, like microsoft.
    Last edited by Raglan; September 16, 2013 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    Wow.

To others:
    SEGA is not the most important customer of all. The CUSTOMER is. even SEGA would say that.

One day, the governing bodies will regualte the gaming industry`s greed and deceptions much as they do with most things that get too big for their boots, like microsoft.

i'd like to see min requirement of at least a demo! (there's other things that could be introduced).

i mean rome2 was given awards even before it was released that surely tells you something of what a joke parts of the gaming industry are!
    Last edited by Raglan; September 16, 2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: moderation and clean up

The sooner Sega goes, the better. There is no doubt: Total War games were a lot better before Sega got involved. To be completely honest, the last Total War game that I sunk many, many hundreds of hours into was Medieval II; I can't tell you how many I put into that and Rome TW because Steam stats weren't around back then. Since then it's been:

Empire: 129 hours
    Napoleon: 51 hours
    Shogun 2: 380 hours
    Rome 2: 36 hours and counting.

Yes, Shogun 2 looks like I spent a long time playing it, but I know for a fact I spent at least double that time on Rome alone.

Just go, Sega.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

priam11's Avatar Campidoctor
    Toronto-Home of the crack smokin Robbie Ford

Actually he is right. It is atrociously ingenuous to suggest "every other industry allows you some days to sample the product first. No they do not. You buy Windows 8 and open the disc. you bought Windows 8 done. There are no returns. The entire software industry is like that.
    "Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you.
    Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure."
    -George Carlin

When Sega bought CA I would assume the founding shareholders made a chunk of cash, and the top guys have nice bonuses from these past 4 successful release to keep on with CA-SEGA. Add in their pedigrees, and the point is if they really wanted to release quality, finished titles, they could get away from SEGA and found a new studio. Seems like the people at CA are just as comfortable as SEGA is at churning out embarrassing unfinished crap but generating big sales anyways coasting on pre-release hype and brand name.

PT_ReVoLuTioN's Avatar Tiro

When i read this i can only think how awesome Empire and Rome 2 could had been, just ditch sega right now!
    Epic Quotes
    "Religious wars are basically people killing each other over who has the better imaginary friend."
    "To win without risk is to triumph without glory." - Pierre Corneille
    "You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks." - Napoleon Bonaparte

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

Rome II - Total Disappointment

True. I'd be doing exactly the same thing if I'd held fire on buying the game, and read all this stuff about 'Capture the Flag' in open battles(!) no Fire at Will for pilae armed infantry(!) no guard mode(!). I could go on...

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Yep, people bash CA and totally ignore Sega. Kinda sucks for them. Looking at these forums all day must put them on Prozac.

Campidoctor

To develop any good game, you need a strong guy in the studio who cares about the game. Somebody with a creative vision. Someone like Sid Meier.

With all respect for their individual skills, you can't leave it to a bunch of regular employees to design a good game, or to stand up to the publisher.
    Last edited by SirRobin; September 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM.
    The game development business is one of bottomless greed, pitiless cruelty, venal treachery, rampant competition, low politics and boundless personal ambition. New game series are rising, and others are starting their long slide into obscurity and defeat.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCrusader76 View Post
    Just go, Sega.
    Willing to buy CA off them then?

Or they could of stayed with EA or Activision, two of the most consumer friendly publishers going.

Quote Originally Posted by priam11 View Post
    Actually he is right. It is atrociously ingenuous to suggest "every other industry allows you some days to sample the product first. No they do not. You buy Windows 8 and open the disc. you bought Windows 8 done. There are no returns. The entire software industry is like that.
    You mean every industry is like that. Some retailers may offer a return policy for non-faulty items, but that's purely down to individual discretion, not an actual requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobz View Post
    Willing to buy CA off them then?

Or they could of stayed with EA or Activision, two of the most consumer friendly publishers going.
    Well, given that the games made while with Activision were much better than what we get nowadays, I would've been fine with them staying with Activision. And yes, I know they had problems out of the box - I mean the general quality of the games was better, technical issues aside. The amount of art that went into them, the quality (and quantity) of the music - the overall immersion factor was far better with the older games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast