Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thank you ca and jack you may save rome 2 after all.

Greve Af Göteborg's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Thank you ca and jack you may save rome 2 after all.

Not even closed to being "fixed" yet. Lots of missing features, performance issues and questionable design decisions plaguing the game still.

Germanicus75's Avatar Domesticus

Since Patch 2, I have noticed the following:

- Battlemap FPS are still the same (very low) when zoomed in
    - Campaign map FPS - not noticed any difference
    - Campaign end-of-turn-times - these seems to have become worse (or maybe it's just that I am getting deeper in the campaign)
    - Campaign map freezes - seem a lot better, thanks!

I've seen some good moves by the AI since Patch 2 (please note I am also using the combined Radious mod):

- I've seen the AI merge 2 small armies into a large single army
    - AI has been attacking my weakest points
    - Seen the AI do several naval invasions
    - AI is generally defending its settlements with some reasonable armies
    - AI is generally building larger and more balanced armies (full stacks sometimes)

Playing as the Suebi on Normal it took me many turns to destroy the Rugii. They were quite persistent. Now its the Lugii who are being persistent and building full stack armies and sieging some of my settlements. I need to destroy them and then decide which of my 2 very powerful Celtic neighbours I want to attack...

I'm having a blast!

Germanicus75's Avatar Domesticus

Since Patch 2, I have noticed the following:

- Battlemap FPS are still the same (very low) when zoomed in
    - Campaign map FPS - not noticed any difference
    - Campaign end-of-turn-times - these seems to have become worse (or maybe it's just that I am getting deeper in the campaign)
    - Campaign map freezes - seem a lot better, thanks!

I've seen some good moves by the AI since Patch 2 (please note I am also using the combined Radious mod):

- I've seen the AI merge 2 small armies into a large single army
    - AI has been attacking my weakest points
    - Seen the AI do several naval invasions
    - AI is generally defending its settlements with some reasonable armies
    - AI is generally building larger and more balanced armies (full stacks sometimes)

Playing as the Suebi on Normal it took me many turns to destroy the Rugii. They were quite persistent. Now its the Lugii who are being persistent and building full stack armies and sieging some of my settlements. I need to destroy them and then decide which of my 2 very powerful Celtic neighbours I want to attack...

I'm having a blast!

I find that thread very disappointing. It is clear that neither Lusted nor the rest of CA really knew what they were making, and now they are just defending the game and saying "this game is great, it just isn't working the way we expected". You can tell by his responses to comments and questions about the capture flag problem: he keeps insisting that the way it was done (and should be done) is to prevent camping in the water so the timer runs out, and that it presents crucial elements to the game when ambushed. His feedback therefore consists of adjustments made to ensure this happens...he is not really addressing the problems nor the concerns we have about that idea.

It just feels like this caputre point idea is the pet project and hinging idea made by someone from CA or SEGA that absolutely has to be in the game even if everyone hates it.

Jack's even so short-sighted that he fails to recognize that people are complaining about the Guard Mode issue is about blobbing: he thinks its about the need to not chase units that are routing or retreating. He claims that all units have guard mode...if those units are disciplined. OK that MIGHT be true and appreicatble, but the game never makes that clear to the player. Also it ignores the issue altogether: we use guard mode largely to retain formations during and after battles so we don't have to constantly redeploy them back.

Honestly he needs to get his head our of his six and look around. Like so many of CA he treats a lot of the problems the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by total relism View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks to ca and jack, they may just save this game after all

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...are-working-on
    That is a great article. I have a lot of optimism for the game now - have you guys ever seen such an article so soon after a game's release? Maybe there have been such articles, but I've never seen one. Make all those changes CA and the game could yet be the best TW ever.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Lionheart11's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Modestus View Post
    Save RTW2 are you bloody kidding me they made it the way it is, all CA are going to do is fix it enough so that they can sell DLC and an Expansion.

Some people here must have the attention span of a gold fish, do you remember good old Jacks play-through I do and I wont forget it, a bunch of con men.
    Yeah the money i gave them , was not broken or defective in anyway. I kinda wish i could pull a shifty on them back tho with money on a string or something.
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

TW RIP

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

Quote Originally Posted by daelin4 View Post
    Jack's even so short-sighted that he fails to recognize that people are complaining about the Guard Mode issue is about blobbing: he thinks its about the need to not chase units that are routing or retreating. He claims that all units have guard mode...if those units are disciplined. OK that MIGHT be true and appreicatble, but the game never makes that clear to the player. Also it ignores the issue altogether: we use guard mode largely to retain formations during and after battles so we don't have to constantly redeploy them back.

Honestly he needs to get his head our of his six and look around. Like so many of CA he treats a lot of the problems the wrong way.

Guard mode being the default is pure nonsense and instead the unit is simply turned off and waiting for a command.

Guard mode suggests alertness your standing still but your prepared for action so is there any advantages to guard mode besides a unit not moving?

In RTW1 guard mode could be combined with the fire at will button as an effective tactic but there is nothing like that in RTW2 so logically if you have no fire at will then Guard mode is literally nothing more then a unit turned off.

Guard mode in Total War games means when the enemy unit starts to run your troops don't follow. As far as the unit being "turned off" I have no idea what you are talking about. If you want your troops to continue chasing the routing unit thin right click...so difficult.

On the topic of the thread, patch 2 has made a lot of noticeable improvements and I'm really looking forward to future patches. Keep up the good work.
    Other than some weird choices by the AI I don't really have many complaints about the game. So many people in these forums overreacting like mad. I have 30 hours played so far and am enjoying every minute.

I have said it before and I will say it again. It will be months before the game reaches its full potential and once it does, I am sure it will be regarded as one of the best TW games (if they listen to the community which they should have learned to do by now). The problem is that they rushed the release and sold us an unfinished BETA, which should not have happened... Absolutely unacceptable. The core concept is really good, but way too many oversights and stupid decisions that all over the experience.

Unless we get the features that we were promised, I don't think there is a chance that they can save this game. The game is inherently mediocre from a core design perspective. Fixing FPS problems and bugs and small tweaks of mechanics isn't going to be satisfying.

Oh well! Maybe I can buy the game I wanted when the expansion comes out! LOL

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

CA will never see the colour of my money again. I thank all the modders cause they giveaway their time for free. CA in the other hand got paid to release their broken game. There is nothing to be thankful here.

No word about family trees and significance of internal faction poltics.

Modders can easily fix the flawed unit speeds, moronic napalm javelins etc..., but there has to be some framework to be iterated upon considering the former issues.

Bring back family trees.

And show the full skilltree when upgrading characters just as in S2TW and defult to 2 turns/year ffs.

Seriosuly, I understand it's hard to make a decent AI, but getting rid of easily programable game-featuers such elemental to the series as family trees is just inexplicable.

under the patronage of Belisarius

Errabundi's Avatar Miles

Comparing last SimCity and R2 it can't be that bad. I haven't heard about canceling orders, chargebacks, returns and all general shakeup at the company.
    So finally I bought Total War: Rome 2. Regarding I payed 7.5$ for it, it's not a bad game at all!

airborne guy's Avatar Domesticus

CA will learn hard love when they release the xpansion. Noone buy the xpansion when it gets released, I hope we have all learned our lesson! Wait a few months until after they have fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli View Post
    No word about family trees and significance of internal faction poltics.
    There seemed to be some sort of a tease on the official forums. It was something about them addressing campaign issues the way they addressed battle issues today. Not sure when this is going to be, though. Hopefully in the upcoming days.

I don't have problem with the capture points and they are only present in certain types of battles.

The reason certain people are having a dummy spit is they don't like a real challenge. CA gave them a challenge and took away their exploit, that's unforgivable in their book!

Guard mode in Total War games means when the enemy unit starts to run your troops don't follow. As far as the unit being "turned off" I have no idea what you are talking about. If you want your troops to continue chasing the routing unit thin right click...so difficult.
    So what's wrong with that? Troops historically didn't invariably follow up. The troops liked to have a rest and a cuppa before pursuing.

One thing that is needed is rebound, if it can work in the simulation, that is.

Jack and the CA crowd are professional wargamers, they know what's what in this business.

CA's only problem is they lack a full time professional coder, but those cost money........they are in high demand and CA budgets don't allow it.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by airborne guy View Post
    CA will learn hard love when they release the xpansion. Noone buy the xpansion when it gets released, I hope we have all learned our lesson! Wait a few months until after they have fixed it.
    Don't kid yourself. Plenty of people will but the expansion. CA will probably market it very strongly, yet again, boasting about all the features that should have been in Rome 2 being in this new super duper expansion, and a lot of people will end up buying in to that hype. Again. Just like every Total War, because there's nothing else out there that fills this specific little niche, and a lot of us have a great thirst to play armchair general.

So basically until CA gets some competition, CA can just keep releasing the same broken, buggy mediocrity again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by smilydude View Post

So basically until CA gets some competition, CA can just keep releasing the same broken, buggy mediocrity again and again.
    That's the real deal. If it was so easy to make these games, then there would be real competition. But nobody else can do a fluid PC wargame that copes with ancient hand to hand arms in mass formations.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by wulfgar610 View Post
    That's the real deal. If it was so easy to make these games, then there would be real competition. But nobody else can do a fluid PC wargame that copes with ancient hand to hand arms in mass formations.
    It's more like if companies didn't consider historical real time tactic grand strategy-lites a rather niche market compared to others that could potentially yield much more sales. CA isn't a particularly special studio that happens to be the only one capable of making such a game. Plenty of other studios could, and there are examples of other studios trying with games like King Arthur and XIIIth century. They simply have chosen not to.

I don't have problem with the capture points and they are only present in certain types of battles.

The reason certain people are having a dummy spit is they don't like a real challenge. CA gave them a challenge and took away their exploit, that's unforgivable in their book!
    What challenge? Capture points make the game exceptionally easy for me. The AI is so impressively stupid they only care about the capture point, and will simply try to run through my men to get to it at ALL COSTS and being slaughtered in the process. Not to mention it's very, very easy to capture the AIs capture point, thereby either making them withdraw most of their units that are engaging you to go get it back and you being able to run them down without a challenge, or just wait out the timer at which point you can kill a 9000 man army with a 1000 man one. 2ez.

CA's only problem is they lack a full time professional coder, but those cost money........they are in high demand and CA budgets don't allow it.
    LOL. What about that 40% increase in budget? Surely that could have gone to hiring such an individual? Or did it go to polishing up other aspects of the game? Err... no? Maybe... maybe they put that money in to bringing fleshed out new features to the game. Oh, . Nevermind.

Ah! I get it! They spent all that money on marketing and lying to us instead of developing the game. LOL.

The Unknown General's Avatar Centenarius

CA has no competition? What about Victoria 2, Hearts of Iron 3, Crusader Kings II, or Europa Universalis IV?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast