Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 'Grand Theft Auto V' sales race past $1 billion, you should've done the same thing CA, but you released the ROME II way too early and unfinished!!..

Default Re: 'Grand Theft Auto V' sales race past $1 billion, you should've done the same thing CA, but you released the ROME II way too early and unfinished!!..

Quote Originally Posted by The Noble Lord View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/grand-theft-au...173317665.html

There is a wonderful news, after only 3 days since its release the GTA V has made more than $1 billion in sales which made it THE most successful PC game of all time! It even made more money than movies such as 'Titanic' and 'Avatar' and markets are predicting that it would climb up to more than $3 billion in sales in the coming weeks and months! Truly amazing. So, why is this important here on this forum?

COD broke that a while ago. And no, Rome 2 wouldnt have made nearly as much as COD or GTA even if it was perfect from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by RexImperator View Post
    GTA V's success has nothing to do with how good the game is or how complete it is but with the name GTA. Total War will never make that kind of money in so short a time span. PERIOD. Even if Rome II had been a perfect release with no bugs and 300 playable factions with 100% unique unit rosters.

Yes, but do you know how they got that status? Because they deliver the fun every time.
    Last edited by bengalg3; September 22, 2013 at 12:57 AM.

Default Re: 'Grand Theft Auto V' sales race past $1 billion, you should've done the same thing CA, but you released the ROME II way too early and unfinished!!..

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePatton View Post
    its not CA's fault your gpu is a potato.
    Dude, if the only issues with this game were performance I doubt it would of got the reaction that it did. It's flawed from the fundamental design choices. The bugs and performance (even on high-end machines) is just the topping on the cake my friend.

It will get better someday.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

I don't think this is truly a good comparison. GTA is an institution in the gaming world. Never met a single video game player who never tried the franchise, even if it is just for a few hours at a friend's home. Beside it, the GTA V have just been released. As we all know too well, pre-release hype could be deceiving. Only time will tell if it is a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Npk View Post
    Not as big as GTA V's - The market is way to niche to support such vast amounts, GTA V has an ocean of potential customers.
    It is always so funny to hear things like that. AS if TW was not a mainstream franchise ...

When I go to a video game store, there is always copy of all TW games since RTW. When a TW game is released, there is generally a full shelf for TW games. Hell this yesterday I saw two sisters around 13/14 years old buying RTW - Gold (yes the original game 10 years old) when I was doing my own shopping. First they were looking at a copy of R2 and I was mentally like "No don't buy it, it is an unplayable crap ! Wait a few months the game may be playable at last while it would cost you less !".
    They were just behind me at the checkout and I was mentally trying to direct them to TWC to let them discover our magnificent modding scene.

On other thing is that goes against the idea that TW are niche games is how R2 was supposed to be the best sold game at steam.

I may had never met a gamer who don't know what GTA is, but I can assure you that 4/5 gamers I talked about video games the last 4 years know what TW is, tried it and were happy with it even if they did not bought every TW game. That said, I don't talk about video games that often with friends.

If anyone is curious as to know what the only friend of mine who bought R2 was thinking about it, he was extremely hyped before the release but terribly disappointed by the game and uninstall it the same day he installed it on his computer after a mere few hours.

I do think there are clear difference between Rockstar and SEGA/CA. Rockstar understand that a massive budget can not replace the needed time of development for a game. They also have a good idea as to what should be the design of their game, what are the most important features, why do fans like their game.

On the opposite CA is completely lost. For R2 they threw in features and as usual threw out other features without serious thinking. And even what is left from previous game is an hideous mess. For example of what good are 3 traits by characters ? What does it achieved ? I love the old trait system but a limit of 3 character makes the feature completely futile. What goods did hp point for every soldiers did ? Jack maintained it was to avoid a soldier who was hit multiple times to survive as it happened in previous game but did this issue truly annoyed anyone ? No no one was complaining about it. On the opposite we now have units who survived without casualties enemy fire until their HP is low and every soldiers dies within two volley. Great !

R2 was a massive development failure. Pretty much every part of the gameplay are in mess and no longer time of development would have prevented it. CA ideas and visions of its own game is simply wrong.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

All consoles are exactly the same so there wouldnt be any surprises regarding specs and systems. For the PC you have so many different possibilities that makes a bug free release a thousand times harder if not more.

errya's Avatar Laetus

It's not Ca's fault, really. What probably happened is the head honchos up at SEGA gave them a budget, a deadline, and idea of how the game should look like. They probably knew that there was no way they could finish it with the time they had and that they were doomed from the start, but had to make out like everything was going fine, because marketing said they had to. And the worst thing is that they're not able to defend themselves because of this, because of this eternal optimism marketing forced on them. reminds me of a Dilbert comic...

vietanh797's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by chris10 View Post
    I played GTA IV extensively on PC and found no big issues with it after 1.0.7.
    you should play GTA 3. clearly unplayable since R* ported it half ass
    Empire II and Medieval III pls

chris10's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by errya View Post
    It's not Ca's fault, really.
    Ohhh...good to know as I was already starting to wonder who has made all these very questionable game design decisions then ?

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by errya View Post
    It's not Ca's fault, really. What probably happened is the head honchos up at SEGA gave them a budget, a deadline, and idea of how the game should look like. They probably knew that there was no way they could finish it with the time they had and that they were doomed from the start, but had to make out like everything was going fine, because marketing said they had to. And the worst thing is that they're not able to defend themselves because of this, because of this eternal optimism marketing forced on them. reminds me of a Dilbert comic...
    A lot of this is true, but CA has to take a lot of the blame, i`m afraid. i`ve seen too much willful deception and practises to now blame SEGA alone.

Surely, SEGA can`t be ruling CA so much that everything they do is THAT carefully orchestrated to the point that CA are simply willing puppets with no opinion or leeway in the matter? If that`s the case then they are little more than slaves in a mine being whipped - I don`t believe it.

priam11's Avatar Campidoctor
    Toronto-Home of the crack smokin Robbie Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    All consoles are exactly the same so there wouldnt be any surprises regarding specs and systems. For the PC you have so many different possibilities that makes a bug free release a thousand times harder if not more.
    Tell EA Sports that.
    "Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you.
    Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure."
    -George Carlin

Some people in this thread trying to imply or say that because a game is released on PC it's going to have more problems than a console and because of that we should cut CA some slack.

No. If anything they should get more flack as it's a PC exclusive meaning all their time and effort should be in releasing a bug free optimised game.

When games are released on console and PC there are seperate departments dealing with either the PC version or the console. So lets cut this it's so much more dificult to produce pc games....twaddle.

It all comes down to the time in dev the beta testing and the quality of the team that produces it.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

I understand that GTA games are well made and that developer takes time between releases. If that's op's point, well taken.

However, part of the problem with Rome 2 is that CA/SEGA has its eyes on the console market and the possibility of turning TW into a much bigger thing. That's likely why we got a streamlined game designed to have broader appeal than TW games of the past. In other words, that's basically why Rome II is crap.

TW needs to be somewhat niche, to exist as a challenging strategy game with some complexity based on real historical factors and not a super simple super fast playing click-fest that happens to take place in a remotely historical setting. If the latter is the future of TW it will fail.

Also Rome II is not a very inspired game; so I can't help but think staff would rather make something more interesting. After they get rid of the people who conceived this boring pointless mess of a game, that is.

Know what I just came across? An article where Tim Heaton, the boss of CA, basically proudly admits that CA focuses entirely towards ensuring a game gets 90% Metacritic score, including ditching features they know would make the game work really well.

Ultimately CA just doesn't care about quality or consumer feedback. They will work very hard to LOOK like they do though, considering how well that worked with Rme2's marketing.

http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/16...s_process_.php
    http://gamasutra.com/view/news/16947...tic_scores.php

It is just business to them. And business is making sure your product sells.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by daelin4 View Post
    Know what I just came across? An article where Tim Heaton, the boss of CA, basically proudly admits that CA focuses entirely towards ensuring a game gets 90% Metacritic score, including ditching features they know would make the game work really well.

Ultimately CA just doesn't care about quality or consumer feedback. They will work very hard to LOOK like they do though, considering how well that worked with Rme2's marketing.

Wow. This interview is unbelievable.

Not going to paraphrase it but in the light of R2 release, all the cut content modders are able to find in R2 data and TW history, it basically tells you everything that has been wrong with the studio in the last years. It even clearly explain the reasons of "Aliens" massive failure which are the same of R2 failure.

No wonder there has been so many missing features in the last games, or why did the AI was so little improved. You could even see the reasons behind Empire debacle and the "mysterious" departure of the guy working on the AI a few weeks before the release. It is also quite impressive how there has been absolutely no questioning on how CA worked after ETW, and shows little chance things would be anyway different after R2.

Final note on TW games marketing. Now I understand why it was done felt so amateurish to me. Apparently the guys think they can handle it on their own and believe they are doing it very well. Too bad it is not the case ...
    Last edited by Anna_Gein; September 22, 2013 at 09:33 AM.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Like I said, they`re NOT our friends. Now you all know.

The AI dev wants to make the best AI ever if they give him an opportunity and more time, but CA director says - 'no, it will hurt our Metacritic score!' What? And that's basically what we get from that interview.
    Nice find, btw!

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I think it goes to show that MetaCritic is terrible and should not be trusted. The devs of Fallout: New Vegas didn't get a bonus because their MetaCritic score was 84% and not the 85% needed for their bonus.

All in all Metacritic should be taken down for corrupting the development process.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Libertus

The biggest difference between Rockstar and Creative Assembly is professionalism and pride in their work.
    Rockstar would be ashamed to release a half baked product.
    They understand the value of the world class reputation they have worked incredibly hard to build and would never risk that for a quick buck.
    CA are the gaming equivalent of a cowboy builder.
    NO - SLEEP - TIL - KYOTO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by djvandyke View Post
    The biggest difference between Rockstar and Creative Assembly is professionalism and pride in their work.
    And something like $200 million.
    The Armenian Issue

Arbitrary Crusader's Avatar Praefectus

And a massive audience

♪ Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast