Thread: Did you ever wonder why you troops loose downhill charge?

Default Did you ever wonder why you troops loose downhill charge?

I already posted this in my YT thread, but it deserves separate thread since issue is quite serious:

Arrow2daknee's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Did you ever wonder why you troops loose downhill charge?

lol, never noticed. Really hope it is fixed and is a very huge issue.

It is huge and it is present in both Patch 2 and Patch 3 beta. I honestly believe hotfix is required since this issue affect core mechanic in absolutely unintuitive way.

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by zaript View Post
    It is huge and it is present in both Patch 2 and Patch 3 beta. I honestly believe hotfix is required since this issue affect core mechanic in absolutely unintuitive way.
    This is Warscape for you. Warscape's battle-interface is all cosmetic. There is little formations/manoeuvering strategy in Warscape games, it's all unit stats and it all happens behind the scenes. Total War in its current state would be better as a card game with all these stat-powerups and magical 'special abilities' than an RTS game. There has been very little 'intuitive' about the battles since Shogun 2.

Formations - may be, but I have to disagree on maneuvering since late S2 competitions were more about taking control over map, rather than engaging and grinding each other out. Same with Rome 2 as people get used to it in MP - it slowly, but surely leaning toward skirmishing as well. Of course, experience may vary^^

And yes, not all mechanics are well described and explained in the game, unfortunately:-/

Serkelet's Avatar Ordinarius

I already noticed this in ambush battles, mostly. It's a(nother) big let down.

Yeah - noticed that as well - it's pretty amazing how they manage to accomplish that major messup not only in one, but in two games.

2006 revisited...

under the patronage of Belisarius

Quote Originally Posted by Evan MF View Post
    This is Warscape for you. Warscape's battle-interface is all cosmetic. There is little formations/manoeuvering strategy in Warscape games, it's all unit stats and it all happens behind the scenes. Total War in its current state would be better as a card game with all these stat-powerups and magical 'special abilities' than an RTS game. There has been very little 'intuitive' about the battles since Shogun 2.
    You know of something better that "warscape"?
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

There are no slopes in graphical simulations. Instead the little men are standing on steps, my guess is the guy on the upper step is stabbing air above the head of the lower guy and the lower guy is scoring points stabbing the higher guys legs. In Rome1 the army going uphill busted its morale with exhaustion.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Wait is this not kind of logical? Heigt advange is good for extra range on missile attacks, but in all honesty really benefital for melee? The only benefit for being the Uphill Attacker I see is gravity, so charging an enemy should be devastating. Massive pushing downhill should break any formation. But in hand to hand combat I dont see any superior side, sure slashing down is easier than slashing up, but you may be more vulnerable, because you have lesser range with swords and spears and you are exposed to a certain extent.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEl_nobody View Post
    Wait is this not kind of logical? Heigt advange is good for extra range on missile attacks, but in all honesty really benefital for melee? The only benefit for being the Uphill Attacker I see is gravity, so charging an enemy should be devastating. Massive pushing downhill should break any formation. But in hand to hand combat I dont see any superior side, sure slashing down is easier than slashing up, but you may be more vulnerable, because you have lesser range with swords and spears and you are exposed to a certain extent.
    Gravity, you are essentially moving down so it is an easier movement - bad guys have to move up the slope. This is physically harder and much more tiring. Also the higher mans weapons are held lower, also easier to use and also carry over a length of time, where the lower man has to hold his gear higher then he normally would making him tired faster. It is a massive advantage, which people everywhere have been taking advantage of since forever.
    ----------------------
    Shameless DarthMod Fanatic

point well represented zaript, now its up to CA to fix this
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!