Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: daddy long legs.

Emperor Dimitricus's Avatar Royal Corps Of Signals

Default daddy long legs.

why?

why do these creatures exist? they serve no purpose, have no survival instincts, and nothing going for them at all.
    if i hit a wasp, it will most probably go for me. if i try to whack a fly, it moves faster than my hand and escapes. if i whack a daddy long legs, it carries on doing what it was doing before oblivious to the fact that i am blatantly gonna go for it again.
    and what do they do? bounce off walls for hours on end until someone kills them. what a life.
    they have the most venomous poison in the world apparantly, and yet they havnt got strong enough teeth to pierce an ant.
    at least things like butterflies and dragonflies look pretty, bees make honey, spiders catch flies, ladybirds kill little green things.

this creature wins my award of most pointless lifeform on earth and runner up on the killing without guilt list (with the winner being spiders...who the **** needs eight legs??)

Default Re: daddy long legs.

No, the number 1 for guitless killing has to be those little red bugs crawling on rocks, I can kill a hundred and feel not a pang of guilt. At least spiders kill all the flies around

I expect birds eat them, so they are a food source for other life-forms. That's not such a terribly unhelpful role to have in life.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

Quote Originally Posted by silver guard
    No, the number 1 for guitless killing has to be those little red bugs crawling on rocks, I can kill a hundred and feel not a pang of guilt. At least spiders kill all the flies around
    oh yeah,
    i always wondered what those little red things were,what the **** is the point in them?

daddy long legs annoy me as well,as they are pointless.

also people always say "oh dont kill spiders they eat flies"

SO! flies are flies they just buzz about and arent even frightening.

spiders are scary bastards that look odd and can run very fast,they should all die!

Civitate

They don't have the most poisonous venom in the world, that's a complete urban legend.
    Under patronage of: Wilpuri

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

Thay are all part of Gods devine plan to drive us all nuts.

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

that's a myth??? I thought they were deadly poisonous. I guess it makes sense, one summer on pisgah mountain we set camp in what looked like a nice open and relatively dry area. Turned out it was a damn spider nest full of daddy long legs. I had to have eaten one of those things while asleep. When I woke up I was covered in them.
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Civitate

Hmm, think we're getting a little confused on terminology here. The daddy long legs discussed here is the cranefly, which is currently the scourge of Britain (especially at night, I must've let in about 6 or 7 when I came into the house this morning). I'm almost positive that craneflies have no way of biting anybody, and so have no poison.

I think that some people also call harvestmen and certain types of spiders daddy long-legs, and I'm not entirely sure about their poison, but I read on wikipedia that this story is a myth, too. But yeah, craneflies are incredibly annoying, lazy, useless and bothersome, especially when they're buzzing around the computer screen.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

There are 2 different types of creatures that people call "Daddy long legs" and neither of them is dangerous to humans.

One is a spider, and has poison but it isn't even strong enough to kill most insects.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daddy_long-legs_spider

the other isn't even a spider and doesn't have poison at all.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvestman

They eat various insects, plants (for the harvestman), and other spiders.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by JP226
    that's a myth??? I thought they were deadly poisonous. I guess it makes sense, one summer on pisgah mountain we set camp in what looked like a nice open and relatively dry area. Turned out it was a damn spider nest full of daddy long legs. I had to have eaten one of those things while asleep. When I woke up I was covered in them.
    According to wikipedia the venom was never tested on mammals, so nobody realy knows how poisonous it was.

I have always beleived it was very poisonous, and still do actually.
    But since each spider carries just a minute amount it would not have much of an effect even if it's 1000 times stronger than, for example, bee venom.
    In fact, I think it needs to be extremely poisonous to have any effect at all.

they certainly are blooody annoying thats for sure...
    i think they have some aspirations to be moths as well... they keep flying toward my light
    then getting frazzled when they touch it, coz the bulb is bloody hot lol

vikrant's Avatar The Messiah of innocence

well those creatures have extremely advance mechanisms even better than us
    u know about spider it is the most ballance creature in terms of movements because each leg is contolled by each controling {i dont know specific terms} element ie eight controllers for eight legs

look at cock-roches
    they are truely amphibeous
    they can fly ,live under water, are fast ,swift

so the catch is no one is useless
    Last edited by vikrant; September 22, 2006 at 02:34 PM.
    Under the Patronage of CHANDRASHEKHAR AZAD {prarara}
    patron of selenius4tsd ; tornnight
    use report button to help us keep twc clean

Civitate

There are 2 different types of creatures that people call "Daddy long legs" and neither of them is dangerous to humans.

One is a spider, and has poison but it isn't even strong enough to kill most insects.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daddy_long-legs_spider

the other isn't even a spider and doesn't have poison at all.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvestman

They eat various insects, plants (for the harvestman), and other spiders.
    No.

This is the daddy long legs the thread is talking about, a large fly, not a spider.

some spiders are brutal,they can kill you in one 'nip' sometimes they run up the toilet and get you right on the ass (or is that an alligator?)

BOO!
    Last edited by VALIS; September 22, 2006 at 02:38 PM.

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

heh that crane fly looks like a mosquito hawk.

edit: just read the article, it is a mosquito hawk. Never heard the term crane fly though.
    some spiders are brutal,they can kill you in one 'nip' sometimes they run up the toilet and get you right on the ass (or is that an alligator?)
    hehe a gator doesn't bite your ass, it eats it
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Quote Originally Posted by JP226
    heh that crane fly looks like a mosquito hawk.

edit: just read the article, it is a mosquito hawk. Never heard the term crane fly though.

hehe a gator doesn't bite your ass, it eats it
    what ever floats you're boat man,but i'm not into that sort of thing.

EDIT: ok that was just a really really lame attempt at some sexual innuendo that actually wasnt funny at all on further viewing.it was just bad,sorry.
    Last edited by VALIS; September 22, 2006 at 02:55 PM.

vikrant's Avatar The Messiah of innocence

@ KingOfTheIsles
    sorry was misunderstanding the insect
    but still the point remains same no one is useless [img]KingOfTheIsles[/img]
    detailed info on http://whatcom.wsu.edu/cranefly/
    @The DUKE
    that spider is awsome
    Under the Patronage of CHANDRASHEKHAR AZAD {prarara}
    patron of selenius4tsd ; tornnight
    use report button to help us keep twc clean

Civitate

Heh, mosquito hawk, I have to say, that is a much cooler name. But they're swarming at the moment, everywhere, and just dying all over the place. It isn't pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfTheIsles
    No.

This is the daddy long legs the thread is talking about, a large fly, not a spider.
    Oh, I thought he ment the daddy-long-legs-spider

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    Daddy longlegs
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    (Redirected from Daddy long legs)
    Jump to: navigation, search

Daddy longlegs is an ambiguous common name referring to several unrelated terrestrial arthropods which have in common extremely long slender legs. Its use is highly regional, so the "Daddy longlegs" of one area is completely different from another. In parts of the UK the "Daddy Longlegs" is known as the "Ginny Spinner." It is common names like these which spurred development of the formal scientific classification system.

In the animal kingdom, "Daddy longlegs" may refer to:

* A harvestman (Opiliones)
    * A crane fly (Tipulidae)
    * A Daddy long-legs spider (Pholcids)
    Yes, crane flies are useless.
    I think God must have had an off moment when he created those.

Whats the point of an ameba, we cant see it, its a blob of jelly which moves around dividing into other amebas, it cant have sex, it is blind, it cant hear.. it essentially lives to divide. ..

Whats the point of Plankton I mean sure they are drifting organisms that inhabit the water column of oceans, seas, and bodies of fresh water, but why? they float around and do nothing, they are so small you cant see them, they have many many many legs! Why does something so small have so many legs? Jump in the water, swallow sea water and you have killed hundreds guilt free!

But without them we wouldnt have -

That would make the discovery channel very boring wouldnt it!
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast