Thread: Blackmont

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Default Blackmont

Blackmont

A monstrous castle located in the Red Mountains, it is a huge formation carved out of the rocks- most of which are black rather than the common red of Dorne. The castle itself stands on two legs as it were, with the belly of the castle hollow where the waters of the River Torentine flow down the mountainside and around which the sprawling settlements swarm. Behind the black palace built in terraces on the rock faces are many towers and halls, with a large set of steps hewn from the stone leading to the heart of the Vulture's home. Two great and ancient chains run from the two castle towers leading to the barbican that allows the broad rapids of the Torentine to be crossed, or in times of war raised; blocking the entrance to the castle off. It has not been used in centuries.

Blackmont is under the High Lordship of Starfall, Lords of the Red Mountains.

Military:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Very Small levy: 750

150 Guardians of Sunspear
    150 Dornish Outriders
    50 Light Inf
    50 Heavy Inf
    50 Polearms
    150 Archers
    75 Light Cavalry
    25 Heavy Cavalry

Economy:

Province: 50,000

Home resource:
    Superior Steeds - Decrease cavalry upkeep costs by 10%, Increases levy cavalry size by 10%

Trade. 10,000
    1. Blackhaven, seat of House Dondarrion. Armor - enables 50% of levy light infantry to become heavy infantry OR 25% of levy light cavalry to become heavy cavalry

Buildings:

Last edited by Hengest; January 04, 2014 at 02:23 PM.

Default Re: Blackmont

HOUSE BLACKMONT

~ALL ARE PREY~

Stony Dornishmen live in the passes and heights of the Red Mountains. They have the most Andal and First Men blood and mostly resemble the other people of the Seven Kingdoms in look, customs and traditions. They are brown-haired or blond with faces that are freckled or burned by the sun. House Blackmont are an ancient isolated clan, considered to have some of the purest Andal blood, in Dorne at least. Their isolation and the hard living in the Red Mountains has made House Blackmont, coarse and conceited, their wealth allowing them to dominate their smallfolk with impunity.

Jeel'Derah
    Lord Vulture of Blackmont

A powerfully built man, slightly scarred, black of hair, fair of skin, with piercing blue eyes that tell of constant malice. Although softly spoken he is prone to rage, he drinks from morning to night, the very definition of a cavalier. He rules Blackmont and the outlying highlands harshly, the castle and palace is something of an oasis, which encourages his lusts and arrogance. He enjoys slaves of all colours, and even keeps a menagerie. He lives for debauchery and orgy as the good life, but pride and a total belief in his right to do as pleases to whomsoever he pleases gives him some administrative acumen, for he must have control and his will out in all things.

Aged: 36 (born 170AL)
    Traits: 12pts
    Escape: 3
    Siege: 3
    Field: 3
    3 unused

A'larra
    sister of Lord Blackmont. Lady Vulture.

Beautiful and deadly, she has spent far too much time in the cool shade of the palace and the water garden grounds, her unhealthy relationship with her brothers and her private interests have given her a fearsome reputation in the Red Mountains. It is said that she practices arcane arts, when she is seen in public she carries strange devices and books on alchemy, history and geography. Few know that she is obsessed with flame and all its delirious secrets.

Aged: 35 (171AL)
    Traits: 6pts (religious)
    Religion: 3
    Assassin: 3

Gormun

Although young he has made up for his years with his older sister. Handsome and warlike, he is permanently saddled on his horse and even rides through Blackmont, up and down the many stony steps. He knows the Red Mountains and the dry plains beyond like a vulture sees afar. He has the respect of soldiers, whom he encourages to keep the smallfolk in check with rape, abduction and cruelty, like all good commanders he leads by example.

Aged: 25 (181AL)
    Traits: 8pts
    Siege: 2
    Field: 2
    Joust: 2
    Survival: 2
    Last edited by Hengest; January 04, 2014 at 02:57 PM.

A reply from the Stormlands,

Lord Blackmont,

I would be delighted to trade with your house.

Regards,

Lord Dondarrion

A small group of riders had crossed the mountains from the North-East. They are carrying a flag, with the Dornish round shield of house Gargalen.

They are met by outriders, recognised, welcomed and taken along the treacherous mountain passes to the terraced palace, standing behind the black castle of Blackmont. Lady A'larra descends the rock steps greet the riders, her hair is dark auburn and her skin fair and freckled. Her eyes are wide and staring, she holds a heavy book in her slim hands and wears a trailing gown of purple velvet.

ooc: I know you like clothes and physical descriptions

One of these riders, was obviously a woman. She descended from her horse, wearing light harem-trousers with a silk flowing top above. Her long dark hair captured in a half-done braid. She was olive skinned and very beautiful. "Lady Blackmont?" she greeted the woman with an asking undertone. She was not sure who the blackmonts where. For they keep themselves well hidden in these mountains (Correct me when wrong). "My name is Valena Gargalen, And I am the lady of Salt Shore. I beg your pardon for intruding unannounced. But travelling the mountains has proved to be a far greater challenge then expected. Luckily for me and my party your men have brought us here safely."

"I am she." Replied the lady, flicking a lock of her hair from her cheek, slightly agitated by the dry heat. "Lady Gargalen, I have studied the history of your House and lands, it is...novel to meet you in the flesh." She smiled faintly and looked her up and down. "You have come far, very far, there is no straight road across Dorne, certainly not to our door."

This woman, or her House, must be desperate or at least strong-willed, an interesting case for the oppurtunist, she thought.

"I am so glad you were well-received, my lady. We seldom receive guests of such grace and finery as yourself. And to be sure, both you and I should both be glad you were not met on the road by my brother Gormun, the captain. Or else our story may have been entirely different." She broke off from this inferred unpleasantness swiftly. "Please, we must retreat from this awful heat." She said with a sigh. The horses were led to water and hay in the stables, and the Lady Gargalen led up the steps into the terraced palace. The shade was cool and the air dampened by channels of water along the corridors that led outdoors to the balconies and finally the gardens where they could recline on silk cushions and divans beneath a canopy of Lyseni damascene. Lady Gargalen was offered fruit, both fresh and dry, wine and water.

"Well, I am eager to learn of the reason for such an arduous journey to this... forgotten place."

Valena studied the woman, she was pretty, but had something about her.. but this Dornish woman couldn't yet decide what it was. She was surprised and a little proud to hear that someone had studied the history of her house. She herself never had been a bookish girl. Valena was confused about the notion of lady Blackmont's brother.. but decided not to say anything about it. She let herself being lead to the terraced palace and seated herself down on a divan. Valena herself wasn't very much touched by the sun nor the heat, for she had lived close to a desert most of her live. She was hower pleased to be seated in something else then a saddle and a fine wine would ease her mind. She choose the wine and some dry fruits. "I am afraid it wasn't much planned." Valena confessed. "I am on my way to Starfell, to visit the infant lady Dayne. It is a cruel thing the gods did to her mother.."

"I'm not familiar with that..." she shuffled uncomfortably, it was a little embarrassing to know the history of a family on the far side of the country but nothing of her living neighbours. "Such is a life of books." She smiled, her face slightly red. "If you have no plans... I would be pleased if you were to sojourn here a while, whilst my brother is abroad in King's Landing I am grateful for the company." Her eyes glared as she raised a goblet of cool wine.

"Did you not hear? It is such a shame.. Lady Dayne died giving birth to the young girl." Valena said. She hoped that she could put her own pregnancies on hold for a little while. She wasn't ready to die as of yet. Valena smiled on the remark about the books, as if she understood, but of course.. she didn't. Party girls never had much time to read. "I would be pleased to stay a while indeed! It would be a welcome break in such tiresome travelling business. But pray, tell me.. is your brother in Kings Landing?"

"My brother, the lord... is in King's Landing. He attends to some loathsome business venture. My other brother, Ser Gormunn lurks among the Red Mountains." She did not hide that she had little respect for her kin, but she was still smiling about Lady Valena's wish to stay so perhaps it was not clear. "I am glad that you will still." She replied without trying to sound desperate, it was clear that Valena had seen more of the world than she and was a lover of life, rather than stuck with her thoughts as she herself. She rose to walk towards the fountain gardens, beckoning Lady Gargalen with her. "But..." she furrowed her brow with nervousness "why do you ask?"

"Oh.. its just.." Valena started, standed up and took the arm of the lady and decided to walk towards the fountain gardens. "I just came from Kings Landing. I am a Dornish diplomat at the court of Daemon Blackfyre.. Naturally i am always interested in Dornishmen at the kings court."

"Oh." A'larra was surprised, it was exciting, she could not imagine how rich her life would be in such employment and power. "My brother will want to speak with you then, in time." A'larra said almost apologetically, but he would find out that Valena had visited and if not informed of her office, would be wrathful. "I can understand why," she giggled "House Martell is hardly interested in worldly affairs." She paused, turning pale. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to belittle your role..." she looked away as they walked in the cool damp fine spray of the fountains.

"I dearly hope to see your brother in the capital. He must visit me when i'm back in Kings Landing. It is always good to have friends there." Valena smirked. "Oh, I do not take offence. The people of Westeros are still not very much used to us. However, slowly our role at court grows. It is just a matter of time when its back to its former glory. My brother is master of Whispers. .. recently we have appointed a Dornish master of Ships. Perhaps your brother can be assistance to us there."

A'larra shrugged "Is it becoming chill?" She felt uncomfortable talking of her brother. "I am sure I can send a raven to the capital and have him informed of the Dornish connections at court. "Thank you." She said weakly and moved them indoors. "I will take you through the palace, from my tower balcony their is an exquisite view of the Red Mountains and the rapids of the Torentine river winding its way towards Starfall. Is your home pleasant for you? You seem to be abroad a great deal."

"It is becoming quite chilly indeed. I wouldn't mind seeing the view of your balcony, it sounds marvelous." she said while walking through the castle. "Well, I have to confess that i'm not much at home indeed. I do like it, but.. its just.. I like to be where the party is. It wouldn't be anything for me to live a sheltered life at the edge of a dessert."

"Then you must think me terribly dull, alone among the mountains." They climbed the spiral staircase of the western tower, a warm draft whispered down the stair well moving fine reddish sand that grit the stones.

"I certainly do not. You are an intelligent woman, lady Blackmont. Your books made you travel far further then myself. And without leaving the comfort of this beautiful palace of yours."

A raven arrives from Griffin's Roost requesting trade between Blackmont and the aforementioned fortress. Because the rather montainous terrain around Griffin's Roost is not fitting to breed steeds, as good as Dorne's.
    Last edited by Oznerol; January 19, 2014 at 03:07 PM.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.