Thread: Ukraine and Crimea development thread

Default Re: Ukraine and Crimea development thread

Salty language.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post

Salty language.
    I totally didn't know John had his own show now! Sweet. Too bad I'm in the UK and not the US, so no HBO. I'll just have to settle for Youtube clips to watch his show. He was brilliant last summer when he filled in for Jon Stewart on the Daily Show. I swear it's like the new SNL; it breeds so much talent and launches so many different careers, including Steve Carrell's and Stephen Colbert's.

His segment makes a fantastic point, too. Annexing Crimea is going to do nothing for Russia but cause a financial drain. They're already bleeding money from the pullout of investors and more when the sanctions start to be felt. Since I'm not a sadist, I actually feel bad for the average Russian who's pocket book is going to be stung from this.

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Win Win for Putin. Now Kiev will be forced to accept the federal sollution. This means a) Ukraine will not enter EU or NATO b) at some point the country will collapse like Yugoslavia and Russia will take the southern coast of Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by Nevins View Post
    No, probably just some 19 year old intern who got tasked out to make the graphic and screwed up. People make mistakes

So, CNN puts his graphic coverage of a very important news in the hands of some 19 year old ? That's a very smart and MATURE move by them.

Same as Hong Kong being shown in South America by CNN.

Oh man, do you watch CNN?
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post
    Win Win for Putin. Now Kiev will be forced to accept the federal sollution. This means a) Ukraine will not enter EU or NATO b) at some point the country will collapse like Yugoslavia and Russia will take the southern coast of Ukraine
    Why is Ukraine joining the EU a problem for Putin? It's not a military alliance. The US didn't stir up separatist movements in Quebec to force Canada into NAFTA. Russia needs to stop thinking of Ukraine as a vassal state that has to do what it's told. Member states are allowed to leave with 2 years notice under the Lisbon Treaty.

Now I want to return to Heathen Hammer's "Novorossiya" theme. As late as 1897 (link here) it was 52% Ukrainian and 21% Russian. So HH's representation of that territory as never being Ukrainian - at least culturally - is unhistorical. This was the case even after Catherine the Great moved Russian settlers there to counter that. Also as you can see, Kharkiv is not part of Novorossiya - despite Putin saying on TV that it was. Kharkiv was founded in the Cossack Hetmanate in 1654.
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    The city was founded by re-settlers who were running away from the war that engulfed Right-bank Ukraine in 1654 (see Khmelnytsky Uprising). The group of people came onto the banks of Lopan and Kharkiv rivers where stood an abandoned settlement.[10] Some sources indicate that the city may have been named after the Ukrainian name for 'swan': kharka.[11] Other sources offer that the city was named after its near-legendary founder, Kharko (a diminutive form of the name Kharyton, Ukrainian: Харитон).]

So Putin's arguments this is historically Russian territory is not true. It sounds very similar to what the British did in Northern Ireland with British settlers in the 1600s that led to the partition of Ireland in 1920 and decades of bombs going off in London/Belfast/Derry and thousands of sectarian killings. Importing this model to that region is terribly dangerous and destabilising and has particular relevance to me as a Southern Irish person. The partition held back the Southern Irish economy for decades because the British had built no infrastructure, 80% of the economy was in the North. 80% of our exports until 1972 went to the UK. Since joining the EU that has fallen to 20%. This is probably what Moscow fears. An economically independent Ukraine it can't control with import restrictions. I have placed a map of Novorossiya below. "Little Russia" was the Tsarist term for Ukraine.

Last edited by Geronimo2006; May 13, 2014 at 06:52 AM.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Nevins's Avatar Semper Gumby
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenKind View Post

So, CNN puts his graphic coverage of a very important news in the hands of some 19 year old ? That's a very smart and MATURE move by them.

Same as Hong Kong being shown in South America by CNN.

Oh man, do you watch CNN?
    I don't own a television so no. Once again you show that you have absolutely no idea how the world works, you think they pay some guy $80k a year to click drag where the flag icon is going to pop up? Do you think that CNN is unique in this aspect?
    Client of the honorable Gertrudius!

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by DarthLazy View Post
    So that means the war is now finally "official" or what?
    I don't think so,everything calm in the new country.

I don't own a television so no. Once again you show that you have absolutely no idea how the world works, you think they pay some guy $80k a year to click drag where the flag icon is going to pop up? Do you think that CNN is unique in this aspect?
    Did no one check/verify his/her graphic BEFORE GOING LIVE?

If he/she was not sure where Eastern Ukraine is, we are in 21-st century and it's very easy to check that.

And yes, CNN is unique when it comes to showing geographic positions in the world, another example is putting LONDON in Norfolk!
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Nevins's Avatar Semper Gumby
    Civitate

Did no one check/verify his/her graphic BEFORE GOING LIVE?

If he/she was not sure where Eastern Ukraine is, we are in 21-st century and it's very easy to check that.

And yes, CNN is unique when it comes to showing geographic positions in the world, another example is putting LONDON in Norfolk!

I don't work for CNN. I don't watch them, I don't read their website, I don't think they are a particularly quality news organization nor do I think they are some kind of standard representation of the US in any way. The only reason we are even discussing them is because of Alejandro or whatever his name is made a bit of a strange post and I called him out on it, but that isn't going to stop the usual suspects from spamming smilies and saying lol silly Americans by the standard Amerophobes
    Client of the honorable Gertrudius!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Ameriphobe... That's the first time I've ever heard anyone use that word.

CNN does suck. It's no well kept secret. Joel McHale ripped them pretty good at the White House Correspondents dinner. The look on Blitzer's face was priceless.

The only reason we are even discussing them is because of Alejandro or whatever his name is made a bit of a strange post and I called him out on it, but that isn't going to stop the usual suspects from spamming smilies and saying lol silly Americans by the standard Amerophobes
    I think most of us here don't have anything against American Citizens, but rather US Government and its foreign policy. I have an American patron too, a fine fellow, and, a credit to your nation.

Elvenkind have you forgotten America saved your country in 1991-5?

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    Elvenkind have you forgotten America saved your country in 1991-5?
    How did US save my country? Please tell me.

How did US save my country? Please tell me.
    They armed you so you could liberate Krajina.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

With what? With russian tanks, russian rifles, russian SAMs? They only gave us some tactical advice, intel info on few subjects and later political support, and their field operatives were following Operation Oluja/Storm from our Headquarters.

At the start of war in 1991 they were stil dealing with the end of Gulf War.

My countrymen saved my country, not US.

And besides, what does that have to do with US Foreign Policy in the last decade?

Is it the same one as the one in 1990-s?

With what? With russian tanks, russian rifles, russian SAMs? They only gave us some tactical advice, intel info on few subjects and later political support, and their field operatives were following Operation Oluja/Storm from our Headquarters.

At the start of war in 1991 they were stil dealing with the end of Gulf War.

My countrymen saved my country, not US.

And besides, what does that have to do with US Foreign Policy in the last decade?

Is it the same one as the one in 1990-s?
    You had pretty much no tanks beforehand remember. I watched "The Death of Yugoslavia" on youtube and I recommend it to you for info.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

You are right, before the start of operation 'Oluja', it was the NATO and primarily Americans that blocked systems of communication and operational command centers of the Krajina Serbs,
    it was NATO airplanes that bombed Serbian positions and disabled its anti-aircraft units, not all of them but most of them, it was US officers that pretty much formulated the entire operation
    and it was the US that gave final go ahead to the Croats, they could go in without fear of being bombed or even condemned by the "International community".

If the Serbs conducted operation of such magnitude, immediately the "champions of human rights and democracy" would be up in arms calling for bombing and "impending humanitarian catastrophe" and such.

That is why US and NATO became synonymous with hypocrisy and double standards, since then they have become a lighting beacons of any kind of immorality when it comes to international relations,
    when it comes to the Balkans at least!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar

You had pretty much no tanks beforehand remember. I watched "The Death of Yugoslavia" on youtube and I recommend it to you for info.
    You think you know something about MY COUNTRY's war from Youtube videos?

I lived through that war daily with fear for my life and my loved ones lives, and I had survived it. Don't remind me or teach me of horrors of that war.

Were you present in Croatia during that war? You know more than me, or my father and my uncles and relatives who fought it?

@ The Noble Lord, it was even American soldiers in Croatian uniforms who kicked Serbs asses.
    Last edited by ElvenKind; May 13, 2014 at 08:46 AM.

Now I want to return to Heathen Hammer's "Novorossiya" theme. As late as 1897 (link here) it was 52% Ukrainian and 21% Russian. So HH's representation of that territory as never being Ukrainian - at least culturally - is unhistorical.
    In the actual link provided in wikipedia Ukrainian was listed as variation of Russian. Plus there is a huge difference between Western Ukrainians and Eastern ones, who identified themselves as Malorossy and as a part of Russian nation. That is according to the link your provided.
    This was the case even after Catherine the Great moved Russian settlers there to counter that. Also as you can see, Kharkiv is not part of Novorossiya - despite Putin saying on TV that it was. Kharkiv was founded in the Cossack Hetmanate in 1654.
    Indeed, too bad descendants of Zaporozhian Cossacks identify themselves as ethnic Russians. So no matter how you try to twist it around, historically it is Russian.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    In the actual link provided in wikipedia Ukrainian was listed as variation of Russian. Plus there is a huge difference between Western Ukrainians and Eastern ones, who identified themselves as Malorossy and as a part of Russian nation. That is according to the link your provided.

Indeed, too bad descendants of Zaporozhian Cossacks identify themselves as ethnic Russians. So no matter how you try to twist it around, historically it is Russian.
    That is following an intense campaign of Russification. In 1897, the Kuban Cossacks identified as Ukrainian/Little Russian and 42% Russian. Bear in mind the education system told them they were Russian and publications in Ukrainian were outlawed in 1875. But by the 1920s the vast majority identified as Russian.

The Nazis insisted Germanic languages were a variant of German.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog