Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Last Kingdom (5th Season Out)

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Last Kingdom (Fourth Season Out)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
    Five seasons...and a movie?

Surprised. I'm not sure how they will do it. Season five will adapt books 9 and 10 (loosely, of course) so I'm not sure if the feature film will be a weird amalgamation of books 11-13 or if it will just be its own thing.
    I can certainly see the last book's events be depicted in a movie. It would be an epic if they keep the budget high, a la Return of the King style.
    The Armenian Issue

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

If I get to see a new season and a movie on top of that I guess I can't really complain, especially if said movie is long but badass and filled with thrilling stuff to keep you interested. The LOTR films manage to do that despite their incredibly long running times.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    incredibly long running times.
    That's the good bit.
    Recently binged hobbit and LOTR. I guess LOTR is the only thing I can watch every once in a while. Truly amazing stuff.

Last Kingdom movie would also work great considering we're all heavily invested in the characters and have a good pool of actors in them already.

Given the similarities between the Hobbit's last movie and the last book I think the Last Kingdom movie will have a similar style.
    The Armenian Issue

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Can't say I'm thrilled about Brida once again dragging the show down. Nothing against the actress but I feel like Brida's story should have ended a while back. I'm concerned after how seasons 3-4 kinda followed the mistakes Vikings made by...doubling down?

In any case, I'll still finish the show.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Can't say I'm thrilled about Brida once again dragging the show down. Nothing against the actress but I feel like Brida's story should have ended a while back. I'm concerned after how seasons 3-4 kinda followed the mistakes Vikings made by...doubling down?

Doesn't it follow the book outline for Brida?
    The Armenian Issue

Awesome! I'm super stoked for that. I'm not a huge fan of Brida either, she's kind of relentless and unforgiving, but then again she's a Dane. What do you expect? The show is using her faction as a vehicle for explaining how the Danelaw came to an end and how the Anglo-Saxons triumphed...until William and the Normans arrived.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

until William and the Normans arrived
    William got damn lucky.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Now they are really deviating from the books. This story set up looks awful. But now they are not only ruining the story with Brida's revenge quest, they are also ruining Brida's character. I was never a huge fan of Brida but I found her tolerable until season 4. Still relatable to an extent in my opinion. But season 5 might actually destroy my sympathy for Brida.

Anyway it isn't like this is at all accurate to the books. Utred's cousin should be thematically the main villain, also called Utred by the way, but the show decided to change that detail. Now the cousin might actually be completely redundant except for maybe a couple of scenes. Which makes no sense because Bebanburgh was always the main goal.

Don't know why these writers feel the need to change or "fix" this story. If there is one thing I have noticed about recent media it is that they don't respect the source material. At least the first couple seasons made changes where necessary. But after that they just made changes for no reason. Probably very arrogant writers and indifferent producers.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; February 13, 2022 at 11:29 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Yeah, that always sucks, especially if it's beyond cosmetic changes and ruins the coherence of the narrative overall. Still gonna be entertained, though.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Season 5.

It's pretty much everything you'd want and a bit more.

They seem to have moved events around quite a bit from the books. Probably to end the series a few seasons short. Also, the concerns about Aethelhelm not being the baddie he's supposed to be turned out to be unfounded as predicted.
    The Armenian Issue

Blog Entries

Never read the books.

From the show's perspective, the season is much as the previous 4, while building to a sense of finality.
    I assume that's the last of 'The Last Kingdom.'

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last scene with the flashbacks to those loved and lost was nice.

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

According to a recent article, this is the last season, but there is supposedly a movie in the works too.
    You would enjoy the books- lots of great details.

Blog Entries

Aye, there's just too many in the series for me to commit, these days.

Last series I read was 'Wheel of Time.' Got a bit draggy after book 5, though that could be lack of commitment on my part. Before that 'Emperor' (Conn Iggulden), that would make a great show.

I've read all the books in the Saxon stories series. They are very easy to read. Often finished a book in a week.
    The Armenian Issue

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Aye, there's just too many in the series for me to commit, these days.

Last series I read was 'Wheel of Time.' Got a bit draggy after book 5, though that could be lack of commitment on my part. Before that 'Emperor' (Conn Iggulden), that would make a great show.
    thats the Vespasian series?
    That was a great read.

There are some great reads about.

Blog Entries

@POVG: I just don't have time. Stopped using public transport during Covid, so reading time is zero at present.

@MCM: Emperor is a historic fiction based on the life of Caesar, from his youth to the end.
    I read the first Vespasian 'Tribune of Rome.' There's another 8 books in that series, didn't get round to them.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Don't know why these writers feel the need to change or "fix" this story. If there is one thing I have noticed about recent media it is that they don't respect the source material. At least the first couple seasons made changes where necessary. But after that they just made changes for no reason. Probably very arrogant writers and indifferent producers.
    I don't just mean The Last Kingdom but media in general. Netflix has this habit of buying the rights to an IP and then trying to "fix" the story or just doing whatever they want with it. Completely ignoring the source material. Notable examples are Netflix adaptations of Cowboy Bebop and Saint Seiya. There is no doubt that they will keep doing this for the same disastrous results. But other groups that are not Netflix are doing this as well.

Almost done season 5 of The Last Kingdom. It is meh. Not awful, not great. Brida is insufferable... maybe worse than in the previous season. But now she just doddles around for half the show. They deviate heavily from the books. At least it is better than Vikings though.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō