Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What?No burning pigs in Hegemonia?

Default What?No burning pigs in Hegemonia?

Sorry for the stupid title, i wanted something attracts attention

I read the whole heg forum but i still have some questions:

1. will there be a leadership/rank system for characters?

like, when playing sparta for example, advancing from the agoge to the rank of dekarchos after several years commanding an army or governing a town.

and, if yes, what traits and ancillaries will the chars get?

2. how many turns per year?

say four, pleaassssse ....(i read the suggestions-thread and one of the devs said "most likely, yes" ) just want to be sure....

3. could you show us the tech/building tree for towns?

i´m really interested in the difference between a fully developed roman city and a
    greek one. or did the ol´ greeks have latifundia and highways, too?

4. have you found a workaround for the flood of enemy full stacks in mid/-endgame?
    thats the most annoying part of RTR and any other mod i know, fighting against 10 - 15
    armies to conquer 2 or 3 cities is just major BS( "black plague", anyone?), especially
    if you don´t want to auto-resolve the battles. heh, i want to see all those gorgeous
    hoplites in action

i´ve been playing RTR/XtendedRealism for 1 1/2 years and i´m really stunned by all i´ve read/seen so far about hegemonia in this forum! simply amazing, guys!
    Heg could be the cure for my TotalRealism addiction, i just love the era/setting your mod covers. :worship.

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

Default Re: What?No burning pigs in Hegemonia?

1) possibly not really my area to be honest so im sunsure exactly what they have planned.

2) 4 turns per years yes

3) Nope

4) The balancing is still being worked on so we hope to get a balance between it is a setback if you lose an army but not totally crippling as you do occasionally get no win situations. So hopefully this will keep the AI in line aswell, of course it will also depend who you are fighting as persia will have more man power to call on than thrace for example
    Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

3) Nope
    Arghhhh, feared that would be the answer.

4) The balancing is still being worked on so we hope to get a balance between it is a setback if you lose an army but not totally crippling as you do occasionally get no win situations. So hopefully this will keep the AI in line aswell, of course it will also depend who you are fighting as persia will have more man power to call on than thrace for example
    now thats what i wanted to hear, sounds perfect(especially if "an army" means one full stack).
    how did you guys accomplish that, massively increased unit upkeep/longer building times/decreased income? just being curious

the thought of being attacked by 10 spartan full stacks was somewhat .... intimidating

now i´m really looking forward to the release

You sure fooled me, my exact thought process was: Pigs what? Click.

For the cities, there are interesting things afoot. For the character advancement, its yet to be entirely decided how complex we want your life in the game to be.

Believe in Hegemonia... Or the Megarian will get you.

wow, thats some "customer" service. a big thank you for the quick answers!

For the cities, there are interesting things afoot
    grmph. Great. if one can die of curiosity and anticipation, i surely will find out soon.
    thats unfair, guys. :tooth:

For the character advancement, its yet to be entirely decided how complex we want your life in the game to be.
    as complex as you can make it without driving your beta-testers insane! is it similiar to the rank system of the 4turns-per-year-mod or did you make something from scratch?

You sure fooled me, my exact thought process was: Pigs what? Click.
    hehe, i just didn´t want to make another "Err, i have some questions"- title.

one more question(the last, i promise): are the marine units smaller in size(say 42 soldiers on large unit setting) compared to the landbased units(80 or 120)? a triere could only provide room for 10-30 soldiers in addition to the 140-200 or so rowers, i think.

btw, i love the Athenian Elite Marines ( hell of name, too )

I believe they are one third sized units at the moment- mostly because the hoplite units are enormous. Remind me to get that fixed eh?

Don't feel restricted about asking questions- if you have them we'll answer. Also guys it's better to keep your titles related - like I said we don't mind questions. After all if you're asking you're interested and that makes us happy.

Wow, i've been following heg since the 1st preview and i don't think i've asked this good of questions. Very good man! Really! I also used to play RTR, but haven't in prolly half a year. I haven't played anything else either, saving myself for the release of HEG.

Wow, now that's dedication. I feel ashamed for even sleeping while you're waiting...

Racer X's Avatar Ordinarius

I have a question, too!

Can at least one of the Spartan units have a moustache?

Can at least one of the Spartan units have a moustache?
    A stalin-spartan?
    only if i get my burning pigs, guys! oh, and the infamous amazon warrior princesses chariots, of course...

I believe they are one third sized units at the moment
    sounds good imo

well, i´ll do some more reading in this forum( and your hp, of course, haven´t vistited it yet)
    and i´m pretty sure i´ll have more questions after that

btw, will hegemonia feature a new intro movie?
    if yes, and if its already done, why not release it as a small teaser for us greek afficiandos?
    would be a nice promo for your mod, too (twc main page entry).

There will be new movies yeah but the ones in the team build are nothing more than placeholders theres nothin really worth seeing tbh.

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

I have an intesting idea for the intro movie but its in competition with several others so we'll see later on.

Racer X's Avatar Ordinarius

A stalin-spartan?
    Best thing... ever? :tooth:

No, I mean looking at the early Spartan models I see that they all have shaved upper lips, even though that wasn't actually a 'constant' rule, as a lot of people think... in fact a lot of Spartan soldier art shows moustaches. There's even a Lakonian statue of Hermes with a big, bushy handlebar.

MaceHead's Avatar Civis

I think it's a good idea to release a intro movie. More people will get interested in this mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Racer X
    Best thing... ever? :tooth:

No, I mean looking at the early Spartan models I see that they all have shaved upper lips, even though that wasn't actually a 'constant' rule, as a lot of people think... in fact a lot of Spartan soldier art shows moustaches. There's even a Lakonian statue of Hermes with a big, bushy handlebar.

... the only thing u can think of asking is if they will have moustaches? :hmmm:

well tbh i dont really know never bothered looking at their lips that closely.

As for the intro movie there isnt one to release yet and interest has never really been this mods problem, if we did release it when its done that would spoil the surprise personnaly when i buy a new game i always watch the opening video the first time.

I never thought that i would ever witness a discussion about spartan lips/moustaches
    thats kinda...weird

After visting your hp (loved the history threads) i´ve got a question:

Do you have any plans on giving us a guide how to play Heg historically correct?

like: dont kill routing enemies(if youre not playing the :wub:** thebians ),
    dont use spartan chars before they are 20,
    dont raze towns(at least not often),
    if youre playing faction x, attack town y in year z,
    etc...

it was really fun (at least for me ) to play RTRPE on the basis of "Quintus' Guide to Conduct Becoming of a True Roman".

my knowlegde about greek history is mainly about dates (important historical figures , battles, alliances; that kind of stuff ), not about their behaviour, social structures etc. and as you seem to have some decent historians (any masters/PhDs?) in your team it would be great if they could give us some `guidance´ for the various greek factions.

oh, almost forgot that one:

do you use the naval_invasion ability for heg?
    and if yes, which factions will have it?
    just want to know if e.g. the ionian states will be able to invade the greek mainland.

p.s. thanks for all the answers so far!

3. could you show us the tech/building tree for towns?

i´m really interested in the difference between a fully developed roman city and a
    greek one. or did the ol´ greeks have latifundia and highways, too?
    i will not say all because i'm lazy...
    but they are lot of new buildings linked to regions.
    for exemple:
    in all greek world, you can find sports structures like stadion or palaistrai, political like proxenos or league buildings, lot of etc...
    in asia > all persians buildings: royal road, paradise, satrap palace...
    in etruria > haruspices house...
    in spartan zone > kryptheia, suskania, agoge...
    all of this can be build only in delimited regions:
    asia - italia- etruria - greek zone > central, north, italia, ionia, propontis, sicilia - sparta zone - africa - thracian -illyrian - epirus -north - cretan zone...
    of course some city have specificities because of cultural link, but it's more important for unit recruitement (because of RTW limitation with buildings): all zone have his own unit recruitement system and lot of cities have is own too.

+ unique buildings like Delphoi or olympia sanctuary, diolkos ...
    Hegemonia's historian, coder, skinner, 2D work... and all the rest too !!

all zone have his own unit recruitement system and lot of cities have is own too.
    gee, that sounds awesome.

proxenos
    i thouht that was a kind of an embassador, not a building?

kryptheia
    now thats really interesting.

may i guess?

its either - a kind of police "building" in order to keep (helot?)unrest low
    - or it gives your troups an experience bonus
    - or its ´just´ a barracks improvement
    - or all listed above

unique buildings like Delphoi or olympia sanctuary, diolkos
    good idea!

for diolkos: is it on the strat map or can it be build in korinth?

thanks for the update!
    Last edited by malibu.stacey; October 25, 2006 at 04:16 PM.

all zone have his own unit recruitement system and lot of cities have is own too.

gee, that sounds awesome.
    yes, it is !! but it was an horror to code this !!

proxenos is a very specific "institution", certainly the more important in international relations for this period. different of our modern ambassador in their origin and mission.
    ex: you are greek, i'm french.
    if i want to go to greece, i need to ask your hospitality... and all french who went to greece will go to you because you are the representant of france in your country.
    proxenos is a citizen of a city A who "work" and are magistrate for the city B. he help all citizen of the city B who go to city A. he gain lot of fame and advantages in city B (money, right to go to theater... to have a propriety (house) in the city B , the wonderfull right for a stranger in greece!!)
    they have notoriety in city B, so, when city A need to ask city B, they used this citizen as ambassador... but city B can use him (with money and honor)to influence city A to be their friend... (ex: during 2nd messenian war, Cimon of athens, proxenos of Sparta, convict his city to help sparta against helots)
    so, proxenos in Hegemonia is a building, the location of this link of institutionnal hospitality. here you can recruit good spy and emissary (for all greek zones), a little better than barbarian emissary.

proxenos was a big part of my final paper in university !! wonderfull for me to see it in a game !!
    famous proxenos: Alcibiades, Cimon , proxenos of sparta in athens.

kryptheia
    >> increase law + loyaulty
    >> decrease happiness
    >> recruit assassin (with big level)
    improvement of agoge (kryptheia was the end of agoge for a part of homoioi)

unique buildings like Diolkos can't be constructed. they exist in the begining of the game.
    (because of limitation of 64 trees of buildings !! really no choice !!)
    ... and not in map, only in city (... don't know how work wonders !)
    Last edited by strikerjd; October 25, 2006 at 06:10 PM.
    Hegemonia's historian, coder, skinner, 2D work... and all the rest too !!

kryptheia, suskania, agoge...
    ok, i google´d it, i wiki´d it, i even went to my :wub:** uni library (on my day off ). What the heck is (a?) suskania?

improvement of agoge (kryptheia was the end of agoge for a part of homoioi)
    so, will it be like this:

agoge > homoioi
    krypteia> hippeis (two different buildings, that can coexist) ?

or is it just an improvement for the homoioi ( replacing the normal ho. "building", giving them e.g. more experience)?

btw, do these sparta-buildings actually cost something? spartans who went through that training were pretty much...well, self-sustaining, i think.

sorry that i´m a pain in the ass, but this stuff(like the proxenos) is just too interesting, so i have to ask...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast