Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cavalry, armor, missile fire, tactics and the limits of the M2TW engine.

Judeman266's Avatar Senator

Default Cavalry, armor, missile fire, tactics and the limits of the M2TW engine.

I think SS and all mods are limited in how they can portray certain factors of combat, tactical and strategic, by the M2TW engine.

Firstly, the majority of casualties in medieval battles happened in the withdrawal or rout, not in the combat. Can we represent this? Creative Assembly tried this with vanilla. The result: troops rout extremely easily and cavalry capture lots of troops. However this led to extremely short battles with no difficulty.

The consensus is that undisciplined infantry would rout if approached by a cavalry charge. However this is difficult to portray with the morale mechanics of M2TW because it makes battles too easy. While disciplined troops would be able to withstand a cavalry charge, the mechanics that allow this in game also cause the charging cavalry to take too many casualties, ie :spear_bonus. However, it wasn't until the rise of pike and shot (pikes, polearms, and gunpowder weapons) that cavalry began to lose its importance and was nuetralized on a massive scale. I think RR/RC demonstrates this in SS.

Another example that demonstrates the limits of the engine is that in the Battle of Agincourt, a battle that demonstrated the abilities of the longbow, a stock of 400,000 arrows was brought to the battle and most were loosed at the armored knights. The result is that less than 2000 knights died from arrows while the vast majority died at the infantry line killed by English men at arms, not archers. We can also discount the majority of modern arrow tests because virtually none of them consist of real battle scenarios, and contain many discrepancies with armor in use in their respective periods.
    In primary sources from the 14th century and 15th century, the authors speak of the damage caused by arrows to the horses of the cavalry not the knights themselves. The arrow fire was useful in disrupting the formation of the cavalry, breaking up a charge, not killing them en masse. This effect is not able to be reproduced in M2TW because the knight and horse die together.

When we hear of the Mongols battle successes it wasn't the horse archers shooting all their ammo, whittling the enemies down to half strength and then attacking, as in M2TW, that gave them success. It was their combined arms and communication along with quality troops that allowed them to succeed. Horse archers harass the enemy, causing minor casualties, lowering morale, and disorganizing the enemy formation leave them for slaughter by cavalry. This is somewhat recreated but Horse archers and archers cause too many causualties to armored men (heavy infantry +heavy cavalry).

Armor and its manueverability is one of the greatest debates amongst lay men but if you look at history and consensus of historians it shows that armor was well balanced and including 16th century plate armor weighed less than what the modern soldier carries. At the 35:00 minute mark of the attached video is a man in gothic armor that shows a man running at a full sprint without a problem. Later it shows 2 men dueling with polearms and they have great visibilty through their visors. Plate armour for knights and men at arms was tailor made which meant that it was balanced and fit for a specific person. So can we finally dispel the issue that knights couldn't get up once they fell and that they couldn't see around them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqC_squo6X4

35:00 min mark

Finally, The main reasons for victory or defeat in battle is tactics. This has been proven again and again throughout history. Terrain, tactical movements, and experience all can cover up an army with inferior troops or armor than an enemy. This infers that a human player should be able to defeat the AI even with a significantly inferior army, which is the case. The human is always smarter than the AI. The first time I played SS with RBAI I was stunned at the AI's ability to use tactics and was mildy afraid that battles would be too hard if the enemy had superior troops or more cavalry than I did. However, after sometime I developed counters to the AI and this should be true for every player, and as you play even when something unexpected happens you should be able to assess the situation and determine the best course of action.

In closing, while the M2TW combat engine is flawed, RR/RC is the best combination of compromise and realism that is available on the forums that tempers the player's attack without disarming the AI army's ability to compete with you. I do believe that cavalry unit size and availability needs to be reduced, but this is already being implemented in RC 2.0.

Debate is welcomed.
    Last edited by Judeman266; December 25, 2017 at 12:14 PM.

Default Re: Cavalry, armor, missile fire, tactics and the limits of the M2TW engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Judeman266 View Post
    I think SS and all mods are limited in how they can portray certain factors of combat, tactical and strategic, by the M2TW engine.

Firstly, the majority of casualties in medieval battles happened in the withdrawal or rout, not in the combat. Can we represent this? Creative Assembly tried this with vanilla. The result: troops rout extremely easily and cavalry capture lots of troops. However this lead to extremely short battles with no difficulty.

The consensus is that undisciplined infantry would rout if approached by a cavalry charge. However this is difficult to portray with the morale mechanics of M2TW because it makes battles too easy. While disciplined troops would be able to withstand a cavalry charge, the mechanics that allow this in game also cause the charging cavalry to take too many casualties, ie :spear_bonus. However, it wasn't until the rise of pike and shot (pikes, polearms, and gunpowder weapons) that cavalry began to lose its importance and was nuetralized on a massive scale. I think RR/RC demonstrates this in SS.

Another example that demonstrates the limits of the engine is that in the Battle of Agincourt, a battle that demonstrated the abilities of the longbow, a stock of 400,000 arrows was brought to the battle and most were loosed at the armored knights. The result is that less than 2000 knights died from arrows while the vast majority died at the infantry line killed by English men at arms, not archers. We can also discount the majority of modern arrow tests because virtually none of them consist of real battle scenarios, and contain many discrepancies with armor in use in their respective periods.
    In primary sources from the 14th century and 15th century, the authors speak of the damage caused by arrows to the horses of the cavalry not the knights themselves. The arrow fire was useful in disrupting the formation of the cavalry, breaking up a charge, not killing them en masse. This effect is not able to be reproduced in M2TW because the knight and horse die together.

When we hear of the Mongols battle successes it wasn't the horse archers shooting all their ammo, whittling the enemies down to a half strength and then attacking, as in M2TW, that gave them success. It was their combined arms and communication along with quality troops that allowed them to succeed. Horse archers harass the enemy, causing minor casualties, lowering morale, and disorganizing the enemy formation leave them for slaughter by cavalry. This is somewhat recreated but Horse archers and archers cause too many causualties to armored men (heavy infantry +heavy cavalry).

Armor and its manueverability is one of the greatest debates amongst lay men but if you look at history and consensus of historians it shows that armor was well balanced and including 16th century plate armor weighed less than what the modern soldier carries. At the 35:00 minute mark of the attached video is a man in gothic armor that shows a man running at a full sprint without a problem. Later it shows 2 men dueling with polearms and they have great visibilty through their visors. Plate armour for knights and men at arms was tailor made which meant that it was balanced and fit for a specific person. So can we finally dispel the issue that knights couldn't get up once they fell and that they couldn't see around them.

http://youtu.be/NqC_squo6X4?t=35m

Finally, The main reasons for victory or defeat in battle is tactics. This has been proven again and again throughout history. Terrain, tactical movements, and experience all can cover up an army with inferior troops or armor than an enemy. This infers that a human player should be able to defeat the AI even with a significantly inferior army, which is the case. The human is always smarter than the AI. The first time I played SS with RBAI I was stunned at the AI's ability to use tactics and was mildy afraid that battles would be too hard if the enemy had superior troops or more cavalry than I did. However, after sometime I developed counters to the AI and this should be true for every player, and as you play even when something unexpected happens you should be able to assess the situation and determine the best course of action.

In closing, while the M2TW combat engine is flawed, RR/RC is the best combination of compromise and realism that is available on the forums that tempers the player's attack without disarming the AI army's ability to compete with you. I do believe that cavalry unit size and availability needs to be reduced, but this is already being implemented in RC 2.0.

Debate is welcomed.
    I like all the sources you posted, particularly the ones about archers being fundamentally useless against anyone wearing anything more than a shirt.

Assuming a 150lb longbow shoots a quarter pound war arrow at around 200feet per second, that translates to 0.113 KG at a speed of 60metres a second. 1/2mv^2 = 200 joules of energy, and that's a conservative speed estimate. To put that in perspective some lighter bullets have a Ke of about 900 joules. Obviously the arrow is much thicker and will not penetrate the same way.

I don't care how much plate armour and padding you have on, something hitting you that hard and displacing its energy into your midsection would deform steel and knock you off your feet. It would be very easy to break a rib.
    Last edited by klc123; July 30, 2014 at 03:17 PM.

Default Re: Cavalry, armor, missile fire, tactics and the limits of the M2TW engine.

@klc123

I did not state anything remotely resembling your first statement. From the time of the Roman-Parthian Wars, primary sources provide the best description of the effect of arrow fire on professional/well armored troops of different states. In nearly all accounts where horse archers are deployed, including the Crusades, they are used to break up enemy formation and charges, cause units to split off, to isolate the enemy for the heavy cavalry to finish them off now that they wouldn't stand against a charge. When I spoke of arrow penetration I was speaking of bodkin war arrows and composite archers vs European plate armor/Ottoman krugs/Indian zirahs and heavier armor. I never stated that longbow arrows wouldn't stun men or cause injuries. I stated that they would most likely injure infantry or cavalrymen armored in this manner.

@klc123

I did not state anything remotely resembling your first statement. From the time of the Roman-Parthian Wars, primary sources provide the best description of the effect of arrow fire on professional/well armored troops of different states. In nearly all accounts where horse archers are deployed, including the Crusades, they are used to break up enemy formation and charges, cause units to split off, to isolate the enemy for the heavy cavalry to finish them off now that they wouldn't stand against a charge. When I spoke of arrow penetration I was speaking of bodkin war arrows and composite archers vs European plate armor/Ottoman krugs/Indian zirahs and heavier armor. I never stated that longbow arrows wouldn't stun men or cause injuries. I stated that they would most likely injure infantry or cavalrymen armored in this manner.
    A warhammer weighing 4.5KG would have to be swung at 10 m/s to achieve the same amount of kinetic energy as the arrow in my above post. If you are wearing plate, and that hits you in the head, it would do more than injure you. Granted armour was more likely to make arrows glance off them, but when you're contending against mass volleys it's a numbers game. There are also accounts of when bodkin arrows fired from longbows would pierce plate Armour sufficiently to kill. IMO SS captures missile combat perfectly. The weaker archers are next to useless against armoured opposition, but the more powerful longbowmen have a much better ability to kill them.

"Some recent tests have demonstrated that needle bodkins could penetrate all but heavy steel plate armour; one test used padded "jack" armour, coat of plates, iron and steel mail and steel plate. A needle bodkin penetrated every type, but may not have been able to inflict a lethal injury behind plate"

@klc123

I believe that I have seen the test you refer to and will repeat that most modern tests don't use realistic battlefield scenarios. The distance that tests are done is no way a recreation of the usual engagement distance of longbows. Of course injures would occur but not to the extent that they do in SS. I will concede though that the current rate of casualties is a compromise to the fact that you can't build trenches, forests, ditches and use stakes correctly to stop cavalry charges. Plus archer fire is only useful on cavalry with barded horses and lower.
    Last edited by Judeman266; August 02, 2014 at 11:17 AM.

No warhammer weighs that much. Except in Warhammer.

Warhammer.

I don't think CA was trying anything with Vanilla. They just put in some numbers and shipped the game. It's CA...

Before discussing too much, let's see what PB has cooked for us in the latest Compilation. Assuming he doesn't disappear for another 10 months first.

Lol you're probably right

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    No warhammer weighs that much. Except in Warhammer.

Warhammer.

I don't think CA was trying anything with Vanilla. They just put in some numbers and shipped the game. It's CA...

Before discussing too much, let's see what PB has cooked for us in the latest Compilation. Assuming he doesn't disappear for another 10 months first.
    Yeah I couldn't find a reputable source for the weight of a warhammer, most sources suggest 1.5-2kg so i doubled it to be safe. A lighter weight just cements my point because the speed has to be much higher.

OP, while I agree that at real combat ranges a bodkin arrow is never going to get a direct flat hit on plate armour and pierce sufficiently to kill, I find that argument to be a bit of a misnomer. You don't judge a swords ability to kill by whacking it flat against the strongest part of the chest plate. I don't think it is far fetched to think that an arrow shot that glances off the chest plate would have killed if it hit at the shoulder joint or around the neck. So I think with trained archers using mass volley fires, it's not farfetched to see quite a large amount of knights dead before the lines engage. All of that is also assuming that every single knight would have the highest quality 14th century steel plate armour..

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

M2TW engine allows a great extend of changes in factors that determine the performance of a unit against another one.
    Everything depends of how "deep" a coder/scripter wishes to go...
    Factors like fear one, advandage over a spesific animal type (or disadvandage), armor and weapon values, status of a unit, and many others.
    Most EDU coders create a road quide of unit performances according to 2-3 factors. Then they generate that quide to the full extend of similar units.
    The pefrect thing would be the "historical" background of EACH unit according to its weapons and its opponets!
    But that is totaly time consuming if you have a mod with 500 units!!!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by klc123 View Post
    Assuming a 150lb longbow shoots a quarter pound war arrow at around 200feet per second, that translates to 0.113 KG at a speed of 60metres a second. 1/2mv^2 = 200 joules of energy, and that's a conservative speed estimate. To put that in perspective some lighter bullets have a Ke of about 900 joules. Obviously the arrow is much thicker and will not penetrate the same way.
    This arrow would perhaps travel at 200 feet/s when leaving the bow but its kinetic energy will be going down from then on.

Hey judeman could you repost the link to that video of the man running in armour? It doesn't work for me.

@Grabbin_Megroin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqC_squo6X4

at the 35:00 min mark.

There are also interesting tidbits throughout the video.

Senator

I like all the sources you posted, particularly the ones about archers being fundamentally useless against anyone wearing anything more than a shirt.

I don't care how much plate armour and padding you have on, something hitting you that hard and displacing its energy into your midsection would deform steel and knock you off your feet. It would be very easy to break a rib.
    Well can I say that that's stupid ?No ?
    Becasue that's a getting hit by .500 S&W from a Magnum Reasearch BFR won't knock you straight off your feet(well maybe you will still fall down)....a 200 joule shot won't be even remotly close to that.

1.The arrow is shot by a medeival string,not by a better modern one.
    2.The arrow will loose energy as said above.
    3.You underestimate 12 Gauge heat treated steel that is formed to deflect the arrow.

There are historic sources about compsite bows not being able to penetrate mail and I won't belive that they could easly penetrate plate in a normal situation.
    And sources about longbows not being able to penetrate the mail of heavier armored soldiers(while still being able to stun them)...
    "And when he [Benkin] was aiming at the besiegers, his drawing on the bow was identified by everyone because he would either cause grave injury to the unarmed or put to flight those who were armed, whom his shots stupefied and stunned, even if they did not wound."
    Hmm disproving actual historic facts is funny try it....

"Some recent tests have demonstrated that needle bodkins could penetrate all but heavy steel plate armour; one test used padded "jack" armour, coat of plates, iron and steel mail and steel plate. A needle bodkin penetrated every type, but may not have been able to inflict a lethal injury behind plate"
    The one with the low quality steel armor ,the joke of a gambeson and the modern bowstring?Most modern test use unhardened ,untempered steel that is often just a unworked plate.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

I can't find where I read/heard it, but apparently most medieval arrowheads were not hardened. That's another reason why they would have had trouble going through armour.

Quote Originally Posted by Sint View Post
    Well can I say that that's stupid ?No ?
    Becasue that's a getting hit by .500 S&W from a Magnum Reasearch BFR won't knock you straight off your feet(well maybe you will still fall down)....a 200 joule shot won't be even remotly close to that.

1.The arrow is shot by a medeival string,not by a better modern one.
    2.The arrow will loose energy as said above.
    3.You underestimate 12 Gauge heat treated steel that is formed to deflect the arrow.

There are historic sources about compsite bows not being able to penetrate mail and I won't belive that they could easly penetrate plate in a normal situation.
    And sources about longbows not being able to penetrate the mail of heavier armored soldiers(while still being able to stun them)...
    "And when he [Benkin] was aiming at the besiegers, his drawing on the bow was identified by everyone because he would either cause grave injury to the unarmed or put to flight those who were armed, whom his shots stupefied and stunned, even if they did not wound."
    Hmm disproving actual historic facts is funny try it....

The one with the low quality steel armor ,the joke of a gambeson and the modern bowstring?Most modern test use unhardened ,untempered steel that is often just a unworked plate.

You're saying that if you get shot by a .500 magnum shot you won't get put down? Can I try it on you?
    Obviously if you're wearing no armour the bullet goes straight through you. If you're wearing body armour thick enough to stop the shot however it displaces all of its energy across your chest in a short time frame (like an arrow hitting solid chest plate) and would wind you. People often get broken ribs from small calibre rounds hitting body armour, and you think a .500 shot wouldn't?

Medieval longbows were of a higher draw weight than modern ones actually.

Do you even understand physics? A medieval arrow is aerodynamic and relatively heavy. On the upwards part of its flight it will lose speed, but gain all of that back on the downwards portion of its flight. It doesn't actually lose that much energy due to wind resistance because the arrow has so much mass. The 200 fps wasn't meant to be leaving the bow either, I've seen people register 300+ fps on arrows as they leave the bow, the 200 fps was a very generous underestimation.

Did you completely ignore the point where I said that armour was made to deflect arrows more than outright stop them?

Feel free to say my posts are stupid, but try to construct a better one yourself first.

vin2579's Avatar Civis

I agree in general with OP...

For the rest of you arguing about how it "really was" back then... I wish I was alive back then like you guys lol.

Just gonna throw this out there...

"... [I]n the war against the Welsh, one of the men of arms was struck by an arrow shot at him by a Welshman. It went right through his thigh, high up, where it was protected inside and outside the leg by his iron cuirasses, and then through the skirt of his leather tunic; next it penetrated that part of the saddle which is called the alva or seat; and finally it lodged in his horse, driving so deep that it killed the animal."

@Grabbin_Megroin

The sentence before your quote:

Gerald of Wales commented on the power of the Welsh longbow in the 12th century.

Plate didn't exist yet and these "cuirasses" suggests coat of plates which is pieces of iron overlapping each other since it's the 12th century.
    Last edited by Judeman266; August 01, 2014 at 05:51 PM.

@Grabbin_Megroin

The sentence before your quote:

Gerald of Wales commented on the power of the Welsh longbow in the 12th century.

Plate didn't exist yet and these "cuirasses" suggests coat of plates which is pieces of iron overlapping each other since it's the 12th century.
    Some people around here and elsewhere like to believe that the English longbow couldn't even pierce light armour, and that the weapon is altogether useless against anything but unarmored men and horses. I just wanted to quote that so people know it could at least go through iron armour, and leather. (as well as an entire thigh, saddle, and 6 inches of horseflesh)

Quote Originally Posted by Grabbin_Megroin View Post
    Just gonna throw this out there...

"... [I]n the war against the Welsh, one of the men of arms was struck by an arrow shot at him by a Welshman. It went right through his thigh, high up, where it was protected inside and outside the leg by his iron cuirasses, and then through the skirt of his leather tunic; next it penetrated that part of the saddle which is called the alva or seat; and finally it lodged in his horse, driving so deep that it killed the animal."
    Gerald of Wales, being a priest, was almost certainly writing on the subject as a non-expert. His writings include much that is legend. He even wrote about fairies:

"All these men were very tiny, but beautifully made and well proportioned. In complexion they were fair, and they wore their hair long and flowing down over their shoulders like women. They had horses of a size which suited them, about as big as greyhounds. They never ate meat or fish. They lived on various milk dishes, made up into junkets flavoured with saffron. They never gave their word, for they hated lies more than anything they could think of. Whenever they came back from the upper world, they would speak contemptuously of our own ambitions, infidelities and inconstancies. They had no wish for public worship, and what they revered and admired, or so it seemed, was the plain unvarnished truth."

The consensus is that undisciplined infantry would rout if approached by a cavalry charge. However this is difficult to portray with the morale mechanics of M2TW because it makes battles too easy. While disciplined troops would be able to withstand a cavalry charge, the mechanics that allow this in game also cause the charging cavalry to take too many casualties, ie :spear_bonus.
    By the same logic, the casualties the disciplined infantry would suffer are too high, if the cavalry just veered off and did not charge. If they charged and the infantry held their ground, they would win by far, having more hands than the cavalry by virtue of more of them per area while not needing to control their horses and being more fully protected by their shields, all else being equal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast