Thread: The original thread

Default Re: The original thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jivaro View Post
    Don't take this wrong, but all this, let's call, complains about the random spawn armies make me laugh really hard!
    I suppose most of you never tried the base mod CoW, I strongly advise you all to give a go, at least the last Rage of the Dark Gods version, and try to survive a long campaign with any faction .

No we have and did not want it brought into BOTET.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak999 View Post
    No we have and did not want it brought into BOTET.
    data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt is where you'll find the spawn scripts. There aren't all that many, so you can remove the ones you don't like, which sounds like all of them. You can gut pretty much the whole file for a sandbox game, just leaving the sections on seasons and whatever else you'd like to keep.

Beautiful work Wiff! im glad with how it is now. in my high elves campaign the empire more or less stays at peace with itself and allies but every once in a while theres a nice civil war for a bit before it goes back to peace. though i found out that even though we have good relations me owning a fort in Border Princes territory they decided to declare war and siege it lmao.

Thanks for letting me know where to find that file, I'll remove the spawns myself for future campaigns. i have an idea that might please everybody, maybe you could put in a little choice script at the beginning to allow players to turn the spawns on or off when the game starts? I think that way most people would have the option that would make them happy.

Also, if permanent alliances are not supposed to be a thing, then why can the player not attack allies without sending a diplomat first, but the AI can? I would think it would be either 1 way or the other for both players and AI.

Thanks for the response and keep up the great work!

EDIT: Question for you, I have learned that sometimes after editing files in Med 2 you have to delete some kind of file and let it regenerate for changes to take effect. Is that the case here?

EDIT #2: I have no idea how to tell what is and isn't an army spawn, I'm afraid that document is beyond the limited scope of my modding knowledge. I guess I will just keep on auto winning against stack spawns, but I hope you will add in a choice for the future to allow players to turn off the army spawns.
    Last edited by Elite KryPtik; May 05, 2017 at 05:22 AM.

At the moment I'm playing a Chaos Dwarfs campaign, and I just love when a random spawn army of 8 Black Orcs appears in my backyard or right in front of my citadel. It's always good for experience and moral bonus, I tell to myself...
    By the way, the Bull Centaurs aren't in the edb, are they causing some problems? In my custom battles they work flawlessly.
    Other question I have is about the Dragon units, what the reason for they being general_unit, it's because of the riders, or other organic reason i don't understand?

Best Beta Ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite KryPtik View Post
    Thanks for letting me know where to find that file, I'll remove the spawns myself for future campaigns. i have an idea that might please everybody, maybe you could put in a little choice script at the beginning to allow players to turn the spawns on or off when the game starts? I think that way most people would have the option that would make them happy.
    I've brought up making the opt-out part of the Easy difficulty setting, bundled up with a higher income, for the people that want to paint the map.

Also, if permanent alliances are not supposed to be a thing, then why can the player not attack allies without sending a diplomat first, but the AI can? I would think it would be either 1 way or the other for both players and AI.
    The AI can't be limited in the same way, but it works to help keep the player in check. Remember, as a competent human player able to use strategy, you're always the most dangerous faction, no matter what.

EDIT: Question for you, I have learned that sometimes after editing files in Med 2 you have to delete some kind of file and let it regenerate for changes to take effect. Is that the case here?
    map.rwm in the maps/base folder, it's usually good to let the game regenerate that after making changes to the campaign.

EDIT #2: I have no idea how to tell what is and isn't an army spawn, I'm afraid that document is beyond the limited scope of my modding knowledge. I guess I will just keep on auto winning against stack spawns, but I hope you will add in a choice for the future to allow players to turn off the army spawns.
    spawn_army is the telltale code for army spawns in the campaign_script.

There's only a handful of spawns in the game, and they're non-repeating, so if you're experiencing a need to repeatedly autoresolve, you're likely just running into unscripted Minor Factions.

At the moment I'm playing a Chaos Dwarfs campaign, and I just love when a random spawn army of 8 Black Orcs appears in my backyard or right in front of my citadel. It's always good for experience and moral bonus, I tell to myself...
    That is indeed one good use for them, it's hard to raise up hardbitten veteran generals when all they do is sack cities with 3 unit garrisons!

By the way, the Bull Centaurs aren't in the edb, are they causing some problems? In my custom battles they work flawlessly.
    They were freshly added just before the public beta release. Like pretty much everything unpolished or not added, it's impossible to add everything, make it flawless, AND release it quickly.

Other question I have is about the Dragon units, what the reason for they being general_unit, it's because of the riders, or other organic reason i don't understand?
    It was for them to be a special general's bodyguard, but it might end up changing.
    Last edited by WhiffOfGrapeshot; May 05, 2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Things missed

Quote Originally Posted by WhiffOfGrapeshot View Post
    There's only a handful of spawns in the game, and they're non-repeating, so if you're experiencing a need to repeatedly autoresolve, you're likely just running into unscripted Minor Factions.
    Is the Cult of Pleasure in Ulthuan and the raiders in Naggaroth suppose to be non-repeating? cuz those pop up about every other turn! though I dont mind really i just keep a small cav army around to chase em down!

Quote Originally Posted by tarenor View Post
    Is the Cult of Pleasure in Ulthuan and the raiders in Naggaroth suppose to be non-repeating? cuz those pop up about every other turn! though I dont mind really i just keep a small cav army around to chase em down!
    Those are Minor Factions (super Rebels, basically), so completely unscripted AI controlled threats that never fully go away. The Warhammer world is not one of safe borders in even the best of times.

Those are Minor Factions (super Rebels, basically), so completely unscripted AI controlled threats that never fully go away. The Warhammer world is not one of safe borders in even the best of times.
    wich is actually pretty awesome.
    BTW no red armored blood dragons in the game yet? awwww

Yeah, I like how the rebels are actually active in this, and there are rebel nations too. I do think the random groups of units that spawn everywhere are just an annoyance ultimately, and I end up taking the eco hit and letting them live and harass my trade unless its one of the bigger groupings. It just gets so monotonous killing them over and over and over again. Do you think you could maybe reduce the frequency of the spawns to something like every 10 turns instead of the every 2 or 3 turns it is now?

What I meant above when I said I will keep auto winning is whenever I start a new campaign and come across a big stack spawning out of nowhere, which is probably mostly applicable within the Empire. Do you think you could put a small option in at the start of any applicable campaigns to allow the player to turn off the big stacks spawning in? I think that would basically make everyone happy, cus a lot of people like the stacks(I can't understand why) but the reason I came to this mod was to get rid of all that stuff from the base mod, and I think thats the reason many others play this as well.

Best Beta Ever!
    People have not been complaining about a stack of 8 units. The problem is full stacks with units the player cannot match for a long time and it is often 2 full stacks.

Love it immensely I love the idea of Finubar just chasing down cultists with his Reavers and Silver Helms

data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt is where you'll find the spawn scripts. There aren't all that many, so you can remove the ones you don't like, which sounds like all of them. You can gut pretty much the whole file for a sandbox game, just leaving the sections on seasons and whatever else you'd like to keep.
    It occurs to me that it would be much easier and less likely to break something if the spawns were all in a separate text document. Then those that wanted them could just copy and paste them to that file. It would be a lot easier and safer than what you want us to do. It seems to be that those that want it harder should be the ones that have to make some effort(but a lot less than those who loved the old campaign.)

People were not exactly screaming for spawns(I remember 1 maybe 2 posters wanting them) before 1.5 came out. And there was 1 guy who wanted to nerf the economy. I cannot understand why you listened what in this thread was a small minority.

I am not 53 until August but this is turning me into a grumpy old man way before my time.

I have an extremely minor complaint, which is I guess a good thing. Does anyone know how to change the public order indicator back to a red, yellow, green scheme. It seems I don't have a yellow anymore it is now a different shade of red and it is annoying because now I have to also look a half and inch over to seen the actual numeric representation of the public order and well, that is just way too much work. Seriously though, if someone can just point me in the right direction, i.e. what file needs to be changed I can do it myself, I just can't find it. Thanks. Oh, kudos to the devs for making an epic version of an already legendary mod.

I thought it was Red orange blue yellow green

uh, yeah I guess ur right about the blue except I dont remember the orange part. Still it seems different than every other mod I can think of so it must've been altered somehow. I assume it is somewhere in one of the .xml and .sd files in the UI folder, not entirely sure how those work though. Hmm, I guess I'll have too look into this some more.
    Last edited by phylosopher stoned; May 05, 2017 at 08:52 PM.

I am not 53 until August but this is turning me into a grumpy old man way before my time.

Age is a number but aging is a state of mind.
    In the campaign_script of the BotET there are 82 spawn_army entries, by curiosity the campaign_script of the RotDG has 1830, it's a huge difference.
    You can always nerf them, eliminating the more special units, use Notepad++ and don't forget to make a copy of the file first, just in case, a new campaing will be required.

Forgot this: eliminate the map.rwm file in the BOTET/data/world/maps/base folder, for the game generate a new one and apply the changes before lauching a new campaign.

Ps to WhiffOfGrapeshot: Someone in the CoW team made an updated unit card for the new Minotaurs, certainly you can add it in future releases.
    Last edited by Jivaro; May 06, 2017 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by logan93 View Post
    BTW no red armored blood dragons in the game yet? awwww
    Not for now. It's just a texture swap and could be added at any time.

Do you think you could maybe reduce the frequency of the spawns to something like every 10 turns instead of the every 2 or 3 turns it is now?
    Anything happening frequently like that is not scripted spawns, it's Minor Factions, which can be built in their settlements or appear anywhere on the map randomly. It fits into the lore, there's enemies everywhere, within everyone's borders, constant threat of being attacked as soon as you set foot outside any city. Empire citizens can't go for pleasant strolls in the woods, that just isn't possible in Warhammer.

It occurs to me that it would be much easier and less likely to break something if the spawns were all in a separate text document. Then those that wanted them could just copy and paste them to that file. It would be a lot easier and safer than what you want us to do. It seems to be that those that want it harder should be the ones that have to make some effort(but a lot less than those who loved the old campaign.)
    Someone will make a spawn free submod, sooner or later.

People were not exactly screaming for spawns(I remember 1 maybe 2 posters wanting them) before 1.5 came out. And there was 1 guy who wanted to nerf the economy. I cannot understand why you listened what in this thread was a small minority.
    We didn't listen to them, the campaign balance is completely from internal testing to try to make a suitable challenge for every faction. It's still a beta, so some things might go too far, but keep in mind it isn't really meant for easy expansion and painting the map in its current form. The 80 region victory condition is to delay both the player and AI from "winning" too early. I don't find getting a "YOU WON!" popup to be the most rewarding thing, and large empires get stale fast to me. A fight to keep control of your starting territory and expand slowly is more fun, I find. It does mean your long term plans can be ruined by needing to pull back, but remember that you're the only faction in the game with any sort of long term plans, the AI can't think that well.

We can't just give everyone what they ask for, since it'd come out a complete mess. People are complaining about missing Dismounted Reiksguard and Blood Dragons, when those were removed for very good reasons. Can't please everyone with a single version, hopefully some people with complaints will actually want the changes bad enough to submod them. Most of them aren't all that hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by phylosopher stoned View Post
    I have an extremely minor complaint, which is I guess a good thing. Does anyone know how to change the public order indicator back to a red, yellow, green scheme. It seems I don't have a yellow anymore it is now a different shade of red and it is annoying because now I have to also look a half and inch over to seen the actual numeric representation of the public order and well, that is just way too much work. Seriously though, if someone can just point me in the right direction, i.e. what file needs to be changed I can do it myself, I just can't find it. Thanks. Oh, kudos to the devs for making an epic version of an already legendary mod.
    It's exactly as it is in other mods, so maybe you just have a hard time seeing the orange that's always been there in the new UI.

Someone in the CoW team made an updated unit card for the new Minotaurs, certainly you can add it in future releases.
    Nice.

Thank you for the explanation, I must have been mistaken then.

Just a silly question...When I would like to start a new campaign should I delete the file map.rwm?