Page 30 of 156 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930313233343536373839405580130 ... LastLast

Thread: The original thread

Default Re: COW: Beginning of The End Times

Isn't that the moat we were promised in Kingdoms?

I can't wait to play this.

"I feel the pathfinding would have to be overhauled for that, think of all the weird stuck units you get through normal siege play on/off the walls and imagine if it happened to a cannon.
    grapeshot and in the main street is how a real warrior deploys cannons"

hmm yea but would'nt it be possible to raise the Terrain and make some sort of platoo and encicle it with walls so the cannons arent actually on the walls kinda like the hill forts in Shogun 2?but don't get me wrong you guys have probably enough work alrdy. Anyway good luck with the mod!

The new Dwarf Karak has some great raised sections to place your cannons and fire over the walls, already. It's very very defensible with a balanced defending army with a good number of artillery, and there's plenty of chokepoints and space to arrange your troops. In fact, I could see 2 vs. 3 online battles with the 2 defending a Karak becoming somewhat popular. Or 2-3 players as allies defending against 4-5 AI armies.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiffOfGrapeshot View Post
    The new Dwarf Karak has some great raised sections to place your cannons and fire over the walls, already. It's very very defensible with a balanced defending army with a good number of artillery, and there's plenty of chokepoints and space to arrange your troops. In fact, I could see 2 vs. 3 online battles with the 2 defending a Karak becoming somewhat popular. Or 2-3 players as allies defending against 4-5 AI armies.
    Excelent to hear, i guess that solves the wall predicament , are dwarf holds the only factions with such convenient terrain that can be used as thus in siege defences?

Ok guys, i am back (still at the airport)
    after 3 weeks of vacation on which i was completely offline and hoped to betatest alot of Skaven, Wood Elves and Stirland i had some serious issues with the mod, to list them all would take some pages and to play the mod was more of a farce then a joyful experience.
    i came to day 57 in the Skaven campaign, 32 days for Wood Elves and 42 days for Stirland and it was quite cringeworthy. after 2 weeks of suffering i remembered somebody said in the forums something about a patch and i looked the downloaded files up and found a patchfile. in that moment i realised i played the whole time the game unpatched and a lot of CTDs and graphical errors could have been avoided. that is what i thought and what i still think because to this point i wasnt able to figure out how to install this patch file (i had a whole week left and i wasnt able to install that patch.exe file and i tried ALOT!!!).
    so long text short: i wasted 3 weeks and cant give you guys a proper betareport because i am an idiot! and if somebody can tell me how to execute that dubious patch.exe i will hurry to give you guys some feedback.

as for the units and factions i can give you a short report on what flaws i found so far in the raw version:
    - Skaven Gatling Guns defently need way more ammo. this unit is almost useless because theyve emptied their ammobag around 40 secs into an engagement and are useless at best afterwards. they are fun and devestating and i really love the models but if they lose their use only 40 secs into an engagement and the battle takes me around 20-40 mins i will use this slot for more durable units...

- Skaven Ratogres are too strong and i can hire them way to fast. 5 turns are too short for such a strong unit and most wins were carried by this OP bastards. one unit of RO were able to take down 2 squads of Imperial Swordsmen and a Unit of Carroburg Greatswords (!). thats a bit too strong for a challenging game.

- Stirland -> STILL AWESOME! no flaws found so far

- Wood Elves were kind of a big disappointment the models look all absolute fabulous (except for the Treemen (sorry but they somehow look weird)) but their hometurf is absolutely not enjoyable. my first try with the WE ended in turn 17 after 3 stacks of bretonians clogged Athel Loren and i wasnt strong enought to fight them directly at this moment and couldnt even outmanouver them. i understand that "corridor" decission but it is not helpful for the WE to have a good start (and even mid game i had some problems).

- Wood Elves also need some units to bring down walls!!! my losing rate in siege matches were around 70% because i had no cannon-like units. in the TT game you dont need them but in CoW you do!!! maybe you can do some units like rock-throwing Treekin and a stronger version with rock-throwing Treemen. because if i want to expand with my WE into the civilised world they suffer, they suffer hard!

- Leadbelchers: had some quickbattles and fought with and against them a few times.... DAT FIRERATE!!! R U SERIOUS? cannons that almost fire as fast as ratlingguns?!? Whoever have 3-5 units of them in their army can bring apocalypse to every enemy!!!

That was just a few gameplay flaws i found. technical issues is way more text but i wont write something about that until ive go that patch installed.
    so sorry guys for my delay.

Cheers Briggadoon
    Last edited by Briggadoon; March 04, 2016 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Briggadoon View Post
    Ok guys, i am back (still at the airport)
    after 3 weeks of vacation on which i was completely offline and hoped to betatest alot of Skaven, Wood Elves and Stirland i had some serious issues with the mod, to list them all would take some pages and to play the mod was more of a farce then a joyful experience.
    That sucks you seem to have had a much worse experience than anyone else, but that's what beta testing is for, to figure out how to make it better.

i came to day 57 in the Skaven campaign, 32 days for Wood Elves and 42 days for Stirland and it was quite cringeworthy. after 2 weeks of suffering i remembered somebody said in the forums something about a patch and i looked the downloaded files up and found a patchfile. in that moment i realised i played the whole time the game unpatched and a lot of CTDs and graphical errors could have been avoided. that is what i thought and what i still think because to this point i wasnt able to figure out how to install this patch file (i had a whole week left and i wasnt able to install that patch.exe file and i tried ALOT!!!).
    so long text short: i wasted 3 weeks and cant give you guys a proper betareport because i am an idiot! and if somebody can tell me how to execute that dubious patch.exe i will hurry to give you guys some feedback.
    Nobody on the team has made any exe files, all installs and patches have been compressed folders (rar, 7zip, etc.), so I'm not sure where any indeed very dubious patch.exe is coming from, but don't use it!

as for the units and factions i can give you a short report on what flaws i found so far in the raw version:
    - Skaven Gatling Guns defently need way more ammo. this unit is almost useless because theyve emptied their ammobag around 40 secs into an engagement and are useless at best afterwards. they are fun and devestating and i really love the models but if they lose their use only 40 secs into an engagement and the battle takes me around 20-40 mins i will use this slot for more durable units...
    They have low ammo and poor accuracy to balance their rate of fire. Try turning fire at will off and make them wait until the enemy is closer, or better yet, put them in the back to flank the enemy. They die quickly intentionally, they're clanrats weighed down with a gun useless in melee. They have been modified more recently, though.

- Skaven Ratogres are too strong and i can hire them way to fast. 5 turns are too short for such a strong unit and most wins were carried by this OP bastards. one unit of RO were able to take down 2 squads of Imperial Swordsmen and a Unit of Carroburg Greatswords (!). thats a bit too strong for a challenging game.
    Balance for recruitment of everything has been continuously tweaked, but I'm pretty sure they're not far stronger than their equivalent troops in other factions.

- Stirland -> STILL AWESOME! no flaws found so far
    Not many changes made yet, or until very recently and unreleased, anyway. Good they're not useless now, though.

- Wood Elves were kind of a big disappointment the models look all absolute fabulous (except for the Treemen (sorry but they somehow look weird)) but their hometurf is absolutely not enjoyable. my first try with the WE ended in turn 17 after 3 stacks of bretonians clogged Athel Loren and i wasnt strong enought to fight them directly at this moment and couldnt even outmanouver them. i understand that "corridor" decission but it is not helpful for the WE to have a good start (and even mid game i had some problems).
    Strange, other people that have played as and against Wood Elves, in a few versions of the mod, have found them very capable. Bretonnia actually died a bit too easily.

- Wood Elves also need some units to bring down walls!!! my losing rate in siege matches were around 70% because i had no cannon-like units. in the TT game you dont need them but in CoW you do!!! maybe you can do some units like rock-throwing Treekin and a stronger version with rock-throwing Treemen. because if i want to expand with my WE into the civilised world they suffer, they suffer hard!
    We are still working on adding more units for the new factions, and things able to attack walls are on the list, but other WE players have conquered Tilea, Estalia, Bretonnia, and Albion with their Wood Elves with no problem, even in older versions, so hmm. Maybe you're not playing them the right way needed for that faction. Call of Warhammer has always had factions that are extremely hard to win as unless you use the correct tactics and strategies.

- Leadbelchers: had some quickbattles and fought with and against them a few times.... DAT FIRERATE!!! R U SERIOUS? cannons that almost fire as fast as ratlingguns?!? Whoever have 3-5 units of them in their army can bring apocalypse to every enemy!!!
    It's been considered, though funnily enough the Leadbelchers are one thing the COW team has seen as good enough to use in the latest 1.6 beta version.

That was just a few gameplay flaws i found. technical issues is way more text but i wont write something about that until ive go that patch installed.
    so sorry guys for my delay.

Cheers Briggadoon
    No problem, hopefully you can find the right patch this time.

hey whiff,
    - thanks for the fast response. in that .rar folder "COW_Beginning_Of_The_End_Times" i downloaded from your link i found a folder named "4gb_patch(1)" and in that is an .exe named "4gb_patch.exe". but i get a few of error messages after a while after execution.

- For the Skaven Ratling Guns: ok i didnt know about the horrible acc, but i should have been more intelligent to think of that myself duh will try out in close range combat as flankers.

- WE: ok if players had quite different experiences i will try a 3rd run.

Cheers Briggadoon

The 4gb patch is for making MTW2 use 4gb of memory instead of the 2GB that is standard for old games due to old windows limitations.
    (If im not completely mistaken)

Just move/unzip the rest into the mod folder and overwrite everything.

- For the Skaven Ratling Guns: ok i didnt know about the horrible acc, but i should have been more intelligent to think of that myself duh will try out in close range combat as flankers.
    Yeah, they still might end up getting more ammo so they don't end up useless, but I didn't want them OP, since each time they fire it's 10 shots each, with each bullet like an Empire Handgunner's shot, so it's a pretty powerful hail of bullets, especially against large units with no armor.

- WE: ok if players had quite different experiences i will try a 3rd run.
    Yeah, it can be a matter of changing your tactics and strategies. Wood Elves have amazing archers, and most of your units have bows. Remember that shots to the side and back do more damage. Try breaking up into multiple forces, so you can always have troops shooting into the enemy's back as they try to engage another group. Don't expect to win letting your guys take cavalry charges, or fighting in hand to hand against most enemies, Wood Elves are all about fast hit and run long range shots.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrgalon View Post
    The 4gb patch is for making MTW2 use 4gb of memory instead of the 2GB that is standard for old games due to old windows limitations.
    (If im not completely mistaken)

Just move/unzip the rest into the mod folder and overwrite everything.
    Exactly this.

But we're still making more changes, it's a work in progress.

Wow.. Loving the stuff your team has done so far, can't wait for this.
    Will you be adding any more to the Dwarf Slayers line up, I.E dragon or giant slayers.
    Will you be doing anything with Gotrek and Felix. I.E Felix not being a spy or any side missions.
    Last one, any chance we'll get to see Morathi in your mod.

cenkiss's Avatar Domesticus

Felix may be retinue to gotrek.

is this mod good for the new versione 1.6??

Are the vampire counts getting Hexwraith cav?

Quote Originally Posted by straight edge savior View Post
    Wow.. Loving the stuff your team has done so far, can't wait for this.
    Will you be adding any more to the Dwarf Slayers line up, I.E dragon or giant slayers.
    Will you be doing anything with Gotrek and Felix. I.E Felix not being a spy or any side missions.
    Last one, any chance we'll get to see Morathi in your mod.
    Dwarfs might be needing some more love, but I don't know if more Slayers are the right move. I renamed them from Slayers and Gotrek Slayers to Troll and Giant Slayers, which is what they are, and I suppose the Slayer generals you get dotted around the map would be Dragon and/or Daemon Slayers. Felix is actually the first Med2 model I made, long ago. Don't have him anymore, but I've been thinking of remaking him and doing something with him and Gotrek.

Quote Originally Posted by OhHaiEmma View Post
    Are the vampire counts getting Hexwraith cav?
    Maybe
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Also, check out this video of 2 armies of Skaven vs. Empire and Dwarfs, including some proper usage of Ratling Gunners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM4yQPFlNGI
    Last edited by WhiffOfGrapeshot; March 04, 2016 at 04:27 PM.

Damn Wiff. Stuff looks amazing as always. Any chance of getting another Vid like Admiral made showing of the map at it's current state?

I twitch with joy at the sight of this mod! I'm getting so amped up for it's release. Is there an estimated release date? Before Total War Warhammer?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiffOfGrapeshot View Post
    Dwarfs might be needing some more love, but I don't know if more Slayers are the right move. I renamed them from Slayers and Gotrek Slayers to Troll and Giant Slayers, which is what they are, and I suppose the Slayer generals you get dotted around the map would be Dragon and/or Daemon Slayers. Felix is actually the first Med2 model I made, long ago. Don't have him anymore, but I've been thinking of remaking him and doing something with him and Gotrek.

Maybe
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Also, check out this video of 2 armies of Skaven vs. Empire and Dwarfs, including some proper usage of Ratling Gunners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM4yQPFlNGI
    Awesome!

Do the new monsterous cav units like gryphons and demigryphs cause moral loss for enemy troops? If that's even a thing that can happen

I've been playing CoW for over a year now, and I must say - that this mod has me more excited than for TW:W. The work you all are doing is absolutely fantastic, and I cannot wait to play this!! I love the new faction editions, unit additions, and overall expanse of what we already have with CoW 1.6...this is going to be incredible.

Thank you for all of your hard work on this, had to let you know that you guys are appreciated from a long-time WH fan and TW fan. STOKED FOR RELEASE!!

Cheers

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by OhHaiEmma View Post
    Do the new monsterous cav units like gryphons and demigryphs cause moral loss for enemy troops? If that's even a thing that can happen
    It's possible to do, but I don't think they have the fear rule in the tabletop, and they're not really needing it anyway. A solid charge from them will cause a morale loss sure enough.