Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Nimrud Bulldozed

Default Re: Nimrud Bulldozed

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Because he was too busy dealing Crusaders? We also needed to remember that he was not an Arab.
    From what I've seen in the Levant anyway, most statues that were in plain view had their heads or face knocked off and/or smashed apart at some point. I'm not sure how systematic this was or when it happened exactly, but to be fair, this destroying an entire site seems fairly new. At least I can't think of anything prior to the 20th Century.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    From what I've seen in the Levant anyway, most statues that were in plain view had their heads or face knocked off and/or smashed apart at some point. I'm not sure how systematic this was or when it happened exactly, but to be fair, this destroying an entire site seems fairly new. At least I can't think of anything prior to the 20th Century.
    I don't think it happened in the past simply because there was no point in doing so. Destroying icons was obeying Islam, destroying an entire settlement served no purpose.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by neoptolemos View Post
    I fear that the scarce remains of major civilizations in the area including the hellenistic and Roman ones are in grave danger.
    That's certainly a danger in Syria (i.e. Hellenistic and Roman ruins being destroyed), but at the site of Hatra in northern Iraq these are actually ancient Parthian structures and artwork. They will most certainly be viewed as pagan and destroyed as well should ISIS continue the onslaught. Hopefully they were just destroying Nimrud as a means to smite the present-day Christian Assyrians who they consider enemies (and are currently slaughtering). Hatra would probably be targeted and destroyed because it is associated with a former Persian empire, Parthia. Hence it would serve an absurd snub against modern-day Iran when in reality all they are doing is destroying priceless works of architecture and art that should belong to the whole of mankind for all time, not one nation or faction in a fleeting civil war of the early 21st century.

Also to cover their looting of pre-Islamic artefacts for resale to collectors in Europe, and I hear in the Gulf.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

What I fear is that now that Isis is also. In Libia ...

Leptis Magna

Cyrene

Sabratha

Etc...

Guess what ...

Usa got to Iraq for geting petroleum advantage , removed a dictator and left , Is arose
    France coalition went to Libya for geting petroleum advantage , removed a dictator , Is arose .
    Etc.
    Last edited by PROMETHEUS ts; March 07, 2015 at 01:19 AM.

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Rinan's Avatar Centenarius

What a tragedy! ...Again. This makes me cry on the inside.

It'd actually be better if all those priceless historical sites in the mid-east were buried under a few meters of thick sand, to be excavated a few hundred years from now, when (hopefully) the world will be a more civilised place.

When you're short of prisoners to execute or want some variety, smashing up some ruins is a good way to get some cheap publicity. I think this whole thing is being over-analyzed.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post

Hows that Archeological sites are less important that petroil wells?

Wtf os ONU waiting???
    They arent waiting. They simply wont do anything. Because are on the level of the jihadists. Not interested in culture. Modern materialist republic.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

or Palmyra
    http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-...de_2182802.htm
    53:20
    Last edited by Flavius Julius Nepos Augustus; March 07, 2015 at 05:57 AM.
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    They arent waiting. They simply wont do anything. Because are on the level of the jihadists. Not interested in culture. Modern materialist republic.
    Indeed, let's all send our youth to get killed over ancient marbles.

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    I suppose that's why we still have Greece's Looks like taking away ancient artefacts from ancient lands, isn't quite the crime that some would claim, given recent events.

Seems many of the IS bandits, feel safer and more empowered smashing up a few ancient statutes, than die facing the Shia militias in Tikrit, who are gaining ground against them.

You are sending them anyway by the will of a dirty petrol baron, at least to do a proper job once.

Comes Domesticorum

You are sending them anyway by the will of a dirty petrol baron, at least to do a proper job once.
    I don't think anyone has sent troops to fight ISIS...

I don't think anyone has sent troops to fight ISIS...
    I mean every time there is a petrol problem or some other material interest. And the western party is now not active in Iraq because of domestic problems. But I would like to see them at least once fighting for a cultural interest, would make them honour.

Comes Domesticorum

I mean every time there is a petrol problem or some other material interest. And the western party is now not active in Iraq because of domestic problems. But I would like to see them at least once fighting for a cultural interest, would make them honour.
    Yes, people would rather fight for things that matter. Shocking.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Those barbarians are now moving on Hatra... The damage they did already to the remains of humanity's history is immense and they keep at it.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

But did the Iraq War or overthrow of Gadaffi lead to lower oil prices for the taxpayers!? No. Who paid for these costly military interventions with their money and in some cases with their sons blood.

Large oil companies certainly benefited, but what contribution did they make, what percentage of capital in all their mega billions in profits, actually went into paying for military equipment and missiles etc that was deployed!

Seems to me military action is only really considered when there is a payoff for somebody somewhere. But that payoff is never usually those paying for it and in some cases taking an active part. I am fine with military intervention if we gain something. But it seems that in the case of the Gulf War, everybody was a loser except those whose concern was oil profits.
    Last edited by caratacus; March 07, 2015 at 06:46 AM.

You'd think that local communities would have more at stake, since preservation of ancient sites with significant importance to past civilizations ensures a steady flow of tourist income.

Undoubtedly, if the Daeshii ever do get hold of a nuclear warhead, an easy target might be to level the Giza plateau.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Such attitude has lost Greece to the Orient. The Partenon and all these things that were blown up by such people.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    What I fear is that now that Isis is also. In Libia ...

Leptis Magna

Cyrene

Sabratha

Etc...

Guess what ...

Usa got to Iraq for geting petroleum advantage , removed a dictator and left , Is arose
    France coalition went to Libya for geting petroleum advantage , removed a dictator , Is arose .
    Etc.
    I was talking to a supposed Libyan yesterday (it's the Internet, he may or may not be one) and he says d that when people tried to loot Cyrene,the locals defended it. I'm pretty sure they'll defend it again. Furthermore, that is under government control.