Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [PREVIEW] - Taksashila (Mauyran Empire)

Default Re: [PREVIEW] - Taksashila (Mauyran Empire)

(This was used as a general unit in 0AD, with two female bodyguards armed with composite bows)

These reference could be of some use? 2nd-1st Century BC

These from a later period of 3rd Century AD, but from same region.
    Last edited by bengalg3; July 08, 2015 at 02:58 PM.

Cool model, only thing is the iconography on the shield is of a later date.
    Last edited by bengalg3; July 10, 2015 at 03:01 AM.

Edited
    Last edited by Spirit``; July 20, 2015 at 06:01 PM.

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Default [PREVIEW] - Taksashila (Mauyran Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit`` View Post
    Why anyone don't answer how you guys fit a whole new faction to map which isn't modable ? Will you remove factions closest to india ? Or ona faction ? So much work for a faction which is not in the map ; i say waste of sources/time. And white indians with barbarian face skins. Ugh.
    I believe this has been answered several times in numerous threads and if you downloaded the current version you would see that we have given them the region of Arachosia. If you dont like them. Dont play them, simple as that. And if you can do it better feel free to correct all the mistakes you see. Everyone can do like you and just critize, it takes skill to actually contribute to the mod and the community. You dont strike me as one of those.

Ritter-Floh's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by bengalg3 View Post

Cool model, only thing is the iconography on the shield is of a later date.
    really nice pictures. We will use it for polishing some aspects with 1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit`` View Post
    Why anyone don't answer how you guys fit a whole new faction to map which isn't modable ? Will you remove factions closest to india ? Or ona faction ? So much work for a faction which is not in the map ; i say waste of sources/time. And white indians with barbarian face skins. Ugh.
    I do not understand your point at all. What du you mean by white indians with barbarian faces? There is not a single barbarian face and where are the white guys? And about the region - this is historic, no need to search for other places or skip the work on this faction. I really dont believe creating an indian faction is a waste of time or sources, the contrary is right: its worth it, every single model and texture!

@ Spirit, play test the new faction and see them in action, before trolling the forum.

Man those miniatures are sweet! Makes me think we need to make a tiger skin pelt!
    Last edited by Don_Diego; July 10, 2015 at 04:17 PM.

Matmannen's Avatar Ordinarius

I was wondering, will the Mauryans be included in the Augustus campaugn awell, or had they lost influence in the region by then? All I know is that it would be cool trying to take on the mighty Parthians as an emerging Indian faction...

Quote Originally Posted by Matmannen View Post
    I was wondering, will the Mauryans be included in the Augustus campaugn awell, or had they lost influence in the region by then? All I know is that it would be cool trying to take on the mighty Parthians as an emerging Indian faction...
    By this time, the Indo-Saka was dominant over the area and over Bactria. Maybe even a new faction would be needed, but possibly AOR Mauryans could fit for native units.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Diego View Post
    By this time, the Indo-Saka was dominant over the area and over Bactria. Maybe even a new faction would be needed, but possibly AOR Mauryans could fit for native units.
    Couldn't we add in Saka Rauka, and give them the reform at the start? Well, we'd have to replace one of the other factions there, and we could rename them if that's necessary. Also their faction symbol is used by the Alani I think in the IA campaign, so we might have to change that.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Matmannen View Post
    Mauryan Empire had collapsed a long time ago by the time Augustus become emperor. In around 180 BC the Mauryan Emperor was assassinated his military commander, notably during a military parade being held, and the Empire broke away between former Mauryan governors and competing military generals, who declared independence and formed their own separate empires. The successor of the Mauryas was the Sunga Empire, formed by the Pushyamitra Sunga, the same man who assassinated the Mauryan Emperor and ended the empire.

So basically, by the time of Augustus, there were no Mauryans. During this time there were two powerful Imperial dynasties fighting for power - the Satvahana Empire and the Kanva Empire (who had rebelled and defeated the Sunga dynasty). For a while Kanva managed to subjugate the Satvahana and made them their vassals, but soon Satvahana Emperor Pulomavi defeated the Kanva and basically reunited a huge part of India.

The western portions of India came under the Indo-Parthian kingdom, a dynasty which followed Indian culture and had influence of the Parthians and Iranians. And southern India reverted to the pre-Mauryan situation of rich, independent kingdoms with huge navies and enormous trading empires.
    Last edited by General Maximus; July 10, 2015 at 04:29 PM.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Light Lancer Cav, 2nd Century BC

Misc archers, 2nd Century BC
    Last edited by bengalg3; July 17, 2015 at 08:59 PM.

One more thing, this turban style is very strange, I've never seen such a thing in any of the art work. Looks like something modern Arabs would wear. Like 90% of depictions of ancient Indians is of them with their hair grow out and tied it into a hair knot.

Central Asian type cav that would've served in the ranks. Scale armor.

Regular Spearmen

Light lancer
    Last edited by bengalg3; July 10, 2015 at 09:32 PM.

One of the groups Chandragupta used to gain the throne of Magadha were barbarian groups like the Saka.

Saka Mercenary, 1st-2nd Century AD

Gandharan Lancer, 1st-3rd Century AD

Gandharan Archer, 1st-3rd Century AD

Swordsmen, 2nd-1st Century BC

Archer, Swordsmen, 2nd-1st Century BC

Very long composite bows, not sure if this is an exaggeration. 2nd-1st Century BC
    Last edited by bengalg3; July 15, 2015 at 08:43 PM.

I most mention, in a lot of these warriors, there's a lot beards. Wearing out beards is more of an Iranian/Iranic fashion, most ancient Indians would be clean shaven.

Only people that would be depicted with beards are mostly Holy men/Rishis/Ascetics.

foreign Iranic peoples, like this guy from Ajanta below.

Or hybrid Iranic-Indic peoples like these

It would probably make sense to give the likes of the Kambojas a lot of it.

Anyways, here are some broad sword hilt designs.

These were the ancestors of the medieval Khanda, and had tight hilts just like the Khanda.

Maurya daggers, one looks like a variant of the Kopis design.

Sword could be bigger like this

weapons, shields, tools that shows up in Sanchi
    Last edited by bengalg3; July 18, 2015 at 09:25 PM.

ooh, nice boat there too!

Thanks for all the details, really great info. I am still fine tuning units for 1.1, so we could always add more details to Muryans later. I think a few colour masked tunics would look nice. I think a white, off-white and a pale orange might look good for the 3 colours? Also we can reduce the beard amount, although i see there are soldier with a mostaches, so maybe this should be more common than full beards (but generally most clean shaven?) Also did the holy men ever fight in armies? Would be nice to keep some full bearded mauryans for them if they did?

Yeah, generally most would be clean shaven. Mostaches seem to be somewhat common(even more so with Gandharas) and beards, very, very rare.

As far as holy men, I have heard some entered battles, I think the most learned ones were probably behinds the scenes though. They have some sort of sway in the community, as I've seen several images of them being sought after by villagers to emperors. Some sort of ascetics gave Alexander some trouble, as the Greeks mention some ascetics having influenced revolts against Alexander in the region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnosophists
    http://nelsonbrent.blogspot.com/2012...osophists.html

The paintings are from a Sri Lankan artist, these paintings below are from this period. Boats are referenced from models from Ajanta and images from coins.

drawing off the painting

Prince Vijaya lands in Sri Lanka, 6th century BC *excuse the nudity

Ashoka Sends a Bodhi Tree Sapling to Sri Lanka, 3rd Century BC (Sri Lanka converts to Buddhism)

These were referenced in 0AD as well.

0AD

Gandharan spearmen/lancer
    Last edited by bengalg3; July 19, 2015 at 12:04 AM. Reason: bc

units with color

Swordsmen, bowmen, wearing short/long sleeve shirts, abdomen guard, etc.
    Last edited by bengalg3; July 27, 2015 at 01:39 AM. Reason: w

I edited my former comment, I was both unpolite and wrong. By looking all the posts/pictures you guys are gathering/doing it seems very indepth. Gratz with you release too aswell seems good

Edit : And I find a minor bug, it seems the first general which you start with is not talking when you move him around etc. When you replace or raise another one they speak normally but the first one is silent. He won't talk at all.
    Last edited by Spirit``; July 20, 2015 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Nope, map isn't moddable. And if so, we would have to add Indo-Greek Kingdom which was pretty huge.
    That's a shame, that seems like a very interesting faction to play as. I don't know much about them, but their army would essentially be a mixture of Taksasila units with Greek troops?

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
    That's a shame, that seems like a very interesting faction to play as. I don't know much about them, but their army would essentially be a mixture of Taksasila units with Greek troops?

Indo-Greeks units will pretty much look like Bactria's. Some Indo-Greeks started to adopt Buddhism, which was propagated by Ashoka in the region.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123