Thread: Which faction should I play?

beatles300's Avatar Libertus

Default Which faction should I play?

Hello fellow forum goers!

i finally was able to dig up the fundamental to buy total war attila, and of course I miss out on the steam sale because of my stupid internet.

But anyways, I haven't played total war in a long while, after being disappointed with rome 2. So I've been playing shogun 2 in the meantime. But I'm puzzled as to which faction would best suit my needs for this game. I've tried out the Sassanids but it's so easy having all those tributary states which compliment your unique trait, thus making the early game a piece of cake. I'm thinking of digging into some horde, most likely the Ostrogoths or vandals, cuz I love their history. But I especially like cavalry, and no, I don't want to try the Huns just yet. But a solid cavalry force supported by decent infantry would suit my needs, and is don't want the game to be super easy. So which faction should I play?

Default Re: Which faction should I play?

vandals have because they can have alani noble cav the best melee cav in the game so if u really like strong cav faction they have that, their melee inf isnt as good as alanic (practically the same as roster as vandals) or ostrogothic but its still pretty good
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I usually pick the Eastern Romans or the Western Roman empire. I do this for a couple of reasons: I wanted to play Romans in Rome 2 and I was robbed of that, so Atilla gives me a chance to try again (still not as good as playing the Romans at the height of Empire, but it`ll have to do). And I`m also a bit of an Empire fan, I realise. I always seem play historical Empires whether the British Empire or the Empire in Star Wars! I just always gravitate to official Empires. Not sure what that says about me. I think it`s something to do with bringing Order to Chaos and annoying little furry creatures... Sorry went off on a tangent there.

Haha it's all good. I'll be sure to try out both Eastern and Western Rome eventually, since they seem to be the main powers at that time.

The Good's Avatar the Bad and the Ugly

I certainly recommend either the Western or Eastern Roman Empire, although the Huns, Vandals, or Gothic tribes should be interesting campaigns. Others will be good to play as well, it's up to you! I lean towards a Western Empire campaign, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    I usually pick the Eastern Romans or the Western Roman empire. I do this for a couple of reasons: I wanted to play Romans in Rome 2 and I was robbed of that, so Atilla gives me a chance to try again (still not as good as playing the Romans at the height of Empire, but it`ll have to do). And I`m also a bit of an Empire fan, I realise. I always seem play historical Empires whether the British Empire or the Empire in Star Wars! I just always gravitate to official Empires. Not sure what that says about me. I think it`s something to do with bringing Order to Chaos and annoying little furry creatures... Sorry went off on a tangent there.
    Hi! I'm curious, why do you feel you were robbed of the experience of playing as the Romans? Could you expand that point, if you don't mind? Thank you.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by The Good View Post

Hi! I'm curious, why do you feel you were robbed of the experience of playing as the Romans? Could you expand that point, if you don't mind? Thank you.
    Family and Politics, in a nut shell. If you want to truly play as the Romans at the height of Empire you must have a decent family tree and Political system. Without it is as good as meaningless. Atilla has that in spades, and frankly it should have in Rome 2.

Others that didn`t help were:
    1. Civil wars. You can`t have Rome without the potential for and, importantly, a GOOD civil war mechanic. The civil war mechanic in R2 is horrible. Again, in Atilla, it`s much better makes sense and doesn`t just spawn a zillion troops from nowhere. Atilla`s civil wars are much like MTW1`s civil wars.

2. Crap sieges. Again improved in Atilla (although not quite to my standards of reality).

3. Roman soldiers don`t look like Roman designs I`ve ever seen. For example, High level Roman soldiers in Imperial gallic style helmets with segmented style armour look like stupid mini fat tanks, they don`t look realistic at all. It`s like they `sexed` them up to look more butch. It just looks very silly.

4. Jumping on spot Romans. Nope, didn`t happen. discipline kept Romans standing still. A single Roman might get away with it if not spotted, but the rate they jump about in R2 would get them disciplined hard. And it just looks plain dumb, like they`re about to go on the 1000 meter hurdles.

Etc, etc, etc, I really could go on, but that`s enough for now.
    Last edited by Humble Warrior; July 23, 2015 at 05:55 AM.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

I'd suggest trying out the Ostrogoths. I think that they are the faction that really exhibits the spirit of ATW - they're Germanic, start off as a horde fleeing from the Huns, and have to find a new home somewhere in the Roman Empire.

I really enjoy the Great Migrator factions (minus the Suebi, whom I will probably never touch) because their gameplay styles are very diverse and their campaign goals can take them all over the campaign map.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Ostrogoths, they plant you right where you need to be, and are great for settling in Roman lands, with enough time to work diplomacy with other barbarians and hordes. The Barbarian kingdoms, especially the Langobards for beginners, and the WRE with a bit of experience are fun also.
    Last edited by Lugotorix; July 23, 2015 at 07:58 AM.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

I'm looking forward to playing Visigoths or Byzantine ERE, personally.

For horsies, you want Vandals, Franks or Alans. Burgundians might be an option as well.

I've just started with the franks, and they seem pretty good. They start off with not so bad lancer cav. I've already taken out the Saxons, and I probably will move up and take the Baltic areas and other German areas before going to war with the WRE.