Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YouTube might start to censor fat jokes...

Icon8 YouTube might start to censor fat jokes...

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34185158

A comedian who criticised overweight people has sparked a row over censorship on YouTube.Nicole Arbour uploaded a video called Dear Fat People in which she derided people for being overweight.
    She claimed she had been censored after her channel was suspended, while others accused her of deleting her own channel to gain sympathy.
    But the BBC understands the channel was automatically suspended because a lot of people reported it to YouTube.
    Ms Arbour's YouTube channel has since been restored.
    Now obviously they restored the channel and the video, but I don't know I feel that if the backlash and the storm was as big, they would have kept it suspended if the system that suspended it was automatic.

"You cannot tell a person's health, physical or otherwise, from looking at them," she said.

To me this all has worrying implications, are some parts of the public actually attempting to put the fat people in the same box as homosexuals, non-whites, and other groups that are born they way they are and suffer because of stereotypes and blind hate? I mean this is really pushing it since vast majority of fat people can in fact slim down, it's up to them. And if they do go ahead with censoring fat jokes, then what the hell is next?

Anyway another example of modern over sensitive society, that apparently values free speech as long as it is not about "their feelings".

EDIT: I have never listened to this comedian before, but the fact that she refuses to apologizes for her words and actions made her instantly likable to me, I am so sick of famous people doing damage control or twisting some bull after they do some refreshingly honest remark or action.
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; September 08, 2015 at 06:13 PM.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: YouTube might start to censor fat jokes...

Hot chicks work hard and spend lots of money to not be fat slobs. They have earned the right to talk .

And I'm down with chubby girls, but face the facts, they're not victims, they're lazy and lack self control. Flaws I know all about.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; September 08, 2015 at 06:49 PM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

TBH, she is neither slim nor that hot, and not funny in that video either, so is this a gimmick or something?

"Rant" is not comedy anyway. It is just lazy. And being lazy will make you fat
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    And I'm down with chubby girls, but face the facts, they're not victims, they're lazy and lack self control. Flaws I know all about.
    They are victims, some of them at least. It's very easy to become fat if your poor, nowadays.

Comes Domesticorum

Fat chance.

Obesity is a huge ( ) problem, but yeah, it is no laughing matter. It can be extremely difficult to return to a normal weight if one becomes obese. So it is not like those people are just not trying at all; sometimes it seems impossible to lose weight...
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

As an on and off "being fat" amateur I can say youtube is stupid to do this.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Obesity is a huge ( ) problem, but yeah, it is no laughing matter. It can be extremely difficult to return to a normal weight if one becomes obese. So it is not like those people are just not trying at all; sometimes it seems impossible to lose weight...
    There's nothing like a good fasting, a good bout of the flu with diarrhea, and dramatic dieting with persistent exercise to fix that problem.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

I don't get what this has to do with YouTube censoring fat jokes. The account was suspending after the video was widely reported, it's probably an automatic thing to stop people being offended by it till YouTube can review it. The account was reactivated when YouTube reviewed it. The people who reported it were taking advantage of an anonymous system to cope with their own insecurity instead of dealing with their issue that is causing the insecurity, just like billions of people do every day, so there's no problem.

The video was removed because many people found it offensive, which is hardly surprising from a video that was specifically designed to be offensive. These weren't fat jokes, this was a video made to insult fat people.

I'm totally against this you should be happy with whatever body you have. If you want to be overweight then fine, I've no right to smack the piece of cake out of your hand but don't try to make out that being unhealthy and overweight is good and promote it. However, most people who are overweight have emotion problems that have led to that so just randomly insulting all of them is just as retarded as saying you should love your body regardless.

This girl has no right taking the moral high ground since she was intentionally being controversial to get her 15 minutes of fame. When that backfires on you, you deal with the consequences.

And finally, to take off my logical, self-righteous hat for a moment, she sounds dumb as .

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex

I love a good fat joke, but this woman is definitely not a comedian. She's so rubbish that she has to resort to bagging people because she has no jokes and just isn't funny. I laughed once genuinely in the entire 6 minutes of the video. The rest of the time I was mildly amused at best.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    I love a good fat joke, but this woman is definitely not a comedian. She's so rubbish that she has to resort to bagging people because she has no jokes and just isn't funny. I laughed once genuinely in the entire 6 minutes of the video. The rest of the time I was mildly amused at best.
    You apparently found it funnier than I did, seeing how I didn't laugh even once. Seriously, though, it was just a bunch of annoying commentary, there were no jokes at all. That being said, others might like it, and there's no real reason to censor it. She wasn't calling for violence or anything. She was just making mundane analytical observations.

For a legendary 'fat joke' routine, by a fat person and comedian, there is always:

The fact that i first read it as "FaRt jokes" made it so much more hilarious.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Funny or not (I found it mildly funny)she does say some interesting things as in, people who work hard to have healthy body have to give ground and comparison to the ones that don't, and than have to put up with them? That just ugh...

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    Funny or not (I found it mildly funny)she does say some interesting things as in, people who work hard to have healthy body have to give ground and comparison to the ones that don't, and than have to put up with them? That just ugh...
    The thing is that most people are not aware that just by looking at a fat person your DNA runs the risk of altering to make you more fat-prone than before. So fat people are ALL people's problem and must be dealt with.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Well on youtube you choose to watch whatever video you click so if it offends you you are clicking the wrong videos.

Being fat certainly isnt healthy, but shaming people for it is not a productive way to get them to change. I don't mind fat jokes as long as they are not aimed at a specific person though. Just keep it in a general sense.

Some people definatly cant be helped and have a serious eating problem, though many just lack initiative and a supportive enviroment and may be eating for the wrong reasons. Personly I never got why anyone would eat when emotional and thinking it would help.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Personly I never got why anyone would eat when emotional and thinking it would help.
    Well the fact that they are doing it because they are emotional would show that they are not thinking.

^Yes.
    Basically eating gives you a sense of (temporary, obviously) high. So if a person is depressed it is very understandable that they may just seek some joy in eating, given no one can take that away from them (unlike with social interaction).

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    The thing is that most people are not aware that just by looking at a fat person your DNA runs the risk of altering to make you more fat-prone than before. So fat people are ALL people's problem and must be dealt with.
    No other persons obesity is not problem, since 95% of them can handle it by themselves and have brought it by themselves, I don't have perfect DNA either but I don't ask for special service. A Cripple in this day and age still can't get his hands by him self, but a fat person can lose weight.

And as I sad, if I ever one of those people that go regularly to the gym to keep their body and shape, and than somebody expects me to help some fatass , I don't know how would I not punch them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast