Thread: Brilliant Series of Mods, and Questions from a Writer

The Good's Avatar the Bad and the Ugly

Default Brilliant Series of Mods, and Questions from a Writer

I want to mention that I really appreciate this series of mods. Thank you, to everyone involved!

They're very detailed, and to me they appear authentic to the late Roman period, which is my favorite to do with ancient Roman history. Most people are mainly interested in the time periods of Caesar and Augustus, give or take about two or three centuries before and after them (from around Rome: Total War's start date, to the 3rd Century Crisis). I agree that those periods are interesting as well, but there is a haunting appeal to the age of the Western Roman Empire's fall (for me it fell after Julius Nepos' death, and the annexation of Dalmatia). Odoacer's Kingdom of Italy, Syagrius' rule over northern Gaul, and the British state of Ambrosius Aurelianus (if not him, possibly succeeded by the King Arthur whose exact identity is shrouded in mystery) were very interesting as well. I know less about the North African Roman-Moorish Kingdom, I think their most important leader we know of, was Masuna, around the late 5th and early 6th centuries AD.

In fact, after my first book is finished, I am planning on writing a historical fiction novel (or if the period is too broad, a series), most likely set between the years after the disastrous defeat at the Battle of Adrianopolis to the very late 5th century, probably ending after the Ostrogothic invasion of Italy, at the time controlled by Odoacer with the Senate's approval. I will try to use as much of historical research I have access to in preparing for it, and I will continue researching through books like Peter Heather's The Fall of the Roman Empire, some of the Osprey series of books, and Ian Hughes' Stilicho and Aetius books. I also have Vegetius' On Roman Military Matters coming on its way.

Any more late (or all periods) Roman books to recommend, that aren't prohibitive in price (I've seen a very expensive book centered around Roman leaders of the mid-to-late 5th century)?

Which writing convention do you prefer; referring to the Goths as Visigoths and Ostrogoths, or their Latin names, Visigothi and Ostrogothi? Does referring to the Huns as the Hunni seem too strange? How many ancient terms is good to use before seeming too unapproachable to most readers?

Finally, what are some late Roman (I mean 3rd to 6th centuries) historical fiction novels that you like? Are they mostly authentic, or are a number of artistic liberties taken with the time period? Thank you!
    Last edited by The Good; December 20, 2015 at 12:08 PM.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Brilliant Series of Mods, and Questions from a Writer

Well the words Vesigetae/Visigothi and Ostrogothi don't come into use until the 460's and 470's AD. Until then it was just "Gothi" or "Getae".

Chunni is the Latin word for huns, yes, the Hunnic word being Huna.

For books, there are so many I would loose track. Anything specific you're looking for? I have several as PDF's.

The Good's Avatar the Bad and the Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Well the words Vesigetae/Visigothi and Ostrogothi don't come into use until the 460's and 470's AD. Until then it was just "Gothi" or "Getae".

Chunni is the Latin word for huns, yes, the Hunnic word being Huna.

For books, there are so many I would loose track. Anything specific you're looking for? I have several as PDF's.
    Thank you. I'm mainly interested in the following individuals, for now: Aetius, Stilicho, Attila, Ricimer, Orestes, Romulus Augustulus, Julius Nepos, and Syagrius. There are probably others as well. For Arthurian history, I'm also searching for more information on Ambrosius Aurelianus and Riothamus, and the Battle of Badon Hill. To believably depict any of these individuals, especially with respect to knowledgable Roman historical fiction readers, I should try to amass a large number of books or ebooks, and get impressions from them on the times, places, and people involved. I'm hoping that if I need to fill in some gaps (without getting an entire book for the information), I could depend on certain web articles to read in order to get ideas.

How many of the late Roman primary sources (letters, histories, military information) are available free, online?

Quote Originally Posted by The Good View Post
    Thank you. I'm mainly interested in the following individuals, for now: Aetius, Stilicho, Attila, Ricimer, Orestes, Romulus Augustulus, Julius Nepos, and Syagrius. There are probably others as well. For Arthurian history, I'm also searching for more information on Ambrosius Aurelianus and Riothamus, and the Battle of Badon Hill. To believably depict any of these individuals, especially with respect to knowledgable Roman historical fiction readers, I should try to amass a large number of books or ebooks, and get impressions from them on the times, places, and people involved. I'm hoping that if I need to fill in some gaps (without getting an entire book for the information), I could depend on certain web articles to read in order to get ideas.

How many of the late Roman primary sources (letters, histories, military information) are available free, online?
    Hi The Good and welcome to our forums. As to 5th century Britain, I would read anything historical, archeological and linguistic(Brythonic Celtic-Welsh) relating to this time and place to first get an idea to what the world of Ambrosius Aurelianus and Riothamus was like. Ambrosius Aurelianus and Riothamus are mentioned by real historical people of that time, thus there are primary sources that can piece together a few parts of the puzzle pertaining to who they are. I can bring forth soon some readings that may shed some more light.
    Last edited by Riothamus; December 20, 2015 at 08:17 PM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Well Ian Hughes is currently the guy to go to for Stilicho, Aetius, Ricimer, etc. He just released a book on Ricimer and the Emperors he manipulated. Guy Halsall's book Barbarian Migrations and the Roman West (or something) is good too. Umm... O'Flynn's Generalissimos is good but a bit dated. I have both in PDF.

The primary sources can be easily found online, wikipedia has the passages on Riothamus in fact:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riotha...with_the_Goths

Jordanes can be found here:

http://people.ucalgary.ca/~vandersp/.../jordgeti.html

Hydatius and Sidonius Apollinaris I can PM you in PDF if you want them.

I've got more but my brain is on like 10% functionality right now so I can't remember them all.

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by The Good View Post
    I want to mention that I really appreciate this series of mods. Thank you, to everyone involved!

They're very detailed, and to me they appear authentic to the late Roman period, which is my favorite to do with ancient Roman history. Most people are mainly interested in the time periods of Caesar and Augustus, give or take about two or three centuries before and after them (from around Rome: Total War's start date, to the 3rd Century Crisis). I agree that those periods are interesting as well, but there is a haunting appeal to the age of the Western Roman Empire's fall (for me it fell after Julius Nepos' death, and the annexation of Dalmatia). Odoacer's Kingdom of Italy, Syagrius' rule over northern Gaul, and the British state of Ambrosius Aurelianus (if not him, possibly succeeded by the King Arthur whose exact identity is shrouded in mystery) were very interesting as well. I know less about the North African Roman-Moorish Kingdom, I think their most important leader we know of, was Masuna, around the late 5th and early 6th centuries AD.

In fact, after my first book is finished, I am planning on writing a historical fiction novel (or if the period is too broad, a series), most likely set between the years after the disastrous defeat at the Battle of Adrianopolis to the very late 5th century, probably ending after the Ostrogothic invasion of Italy, at the time controlled by Odoacer with the Senate's approval. I will try to use as much of historical research I have access to in preparing for it, and I will continue researching through books like Peter Heather's The Fall of the Roman Empire, some of the Osprey series of books, and Ian Hughes' Stilicho and Aetius books. I also have Vegetius' On Roman Military Matters coming on its way.

Any more late (or all periods) Roman books to recommend, that aren't prohibitive in price (I've seen a very expensive book centered around Roman leaders of the mid-to-late 5th century)?

Which writing convention do you prefer; referring to the Goths as Visigoths and Ostrogoths, or their Latin names, Visigothi and Ostrogothi? Does referring to the Huns as the Hunni seem too strange? How many ancient terms is good to use before seeming too unapproachable to most readers?

Finally, what are some late Roman (I mean 3rd to 6th centuries) historical fiction novels that you like? Are they mostly authentic, or are a number of artistic liberties taken with the time period? Thank you!

For novels, one of our own writes brilliant Stories.

http://www.amazon.com/Francis-Hagan/...0728940&sr=8-1

My personal favorite would be Eagle in the snow. While not the most historically accurate its dark, epic and moving.

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Snow-Nov...RGK6K1CFZZFYA2
    Last edited by legio_XX; December 21, 2015 at 02:43 PM.
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Now I am blushing - but thanks for the mention, legio_XX!

You can find Vegetius in an old translation here on the web, Ammianus Marcellinus, too. If you wiki search for particular authors, you can often find old translations linked at the bottom of each page. You seem to be covering quite a broad area so you will need to define your research materials carefully otherwise you will get overwhelmed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Lacus Curtius has Ammianus Marcellinus for free online. Loeb Translation, which is a good one.