Thread: Give us Nomads!!!!!

Kraut and Tea's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Give us Nomads!!!!!

Ok nice, thanks for the Slavic factions pack.... but you know what CA... Compared to the other Nomadic factions that are currently still unplayable the slavic factions are a bit of a sideshow for me. I am sure there are many here who are happy over the newly added slavic factions. And yes, I am happy that you are adding these factions to the mix.

But what about the Nomads???

Wasnt the new Nomad mechanic the thing with which you advertised the game? The thing you claimed would make it differ from previous TW games? It indeed makes it differ alot, but with so few nomadic faction???

The only nomadic faction we had for a year were the Huns, until you added the white Huns, which may have a unique starting position but are very similar to the Huns. And since the migrator factions like the Visigoths ultimatly have the goal of settling and building a new kingdom, they cant really be considered to be Nomads.

What about giving us some nomadic factions?

What about the Magyars? Who are considered to be the forefathers of the Hungarians. The only Hunic faction for which it would be viable if they could settle and would have the ultimate goal of settling in Hercynia.

What about the Iazyges? A Sarmatian tribe chased from their home by the Goths and who allied with the Suebi. The Alans are currently the only Sarmatian faction in the game, and eventhought the Iazyges were eventualy destroyed and the remnants joined the Suebi, they would make a nice faction with a mix of Sarmatian and Germanic units.

What about the Roxolanians? Who would start as a Sarmatian vasal of the Huns? Another Sarmatian faction and a difficult campaign similar to that of the Lakhmids where you ultimatly have to face the choice when you want to rebel against your powerfull Hunic overlord.

What about the Sabir? A Hunic people who raided the Caucasus? Caused havoc for the various Caucasian tribes and kingdoms, but eventualy were forced to ally with the Eastern Roman Empire against the Avars. A campaign with this faction would offer the player a choice between raiding the Sassanid or Eastern Roman terretories.

Ultimatly, you really also need to update the game to give the Iazyges, Budini and Roxolani a Sarmatian unit roster, because non of those factions were Hunic. They had more in common with the Alans than with the Huns.

I know there are still many requests. And I know that many have been requesting Slavic factions to be made available. I personaly hope that you still find the time to make some eastern factions such as the Armenians and Parthia playable. But ultimatly, this is a game with a very unique nomad mechanic and a historical setting that focuses arround nomads. So why havent you added more nomadic factions yet?
    Last edited by Kraut and Tea; February 09, 2016 at 11:27 AM.

Default Re: Give us Nomads!!!!!

I'm wholehearthedly agree with the Sarmatian roster for Iazyges, Budinians and Roxolani - However I believe what much more important than additional Nomadic factions, are introduction of gameplay mechanic that ensures Nomadic factions doesn't get wiped out in some short turns.

About it, I played the game with Magnar's War Weariness mod, and found an interesting side effect: Nomads are weak, save the Huns; however they don't get extinguished. Why? because defeats made them split into separatist factions that do not tied to the same diplomatic relations as their parent faction - in another words, not in conflict with the factions that defeat their parent faction. How about the Huns? They split into 2 factions that both terrorize Europe! So the Sarmatian Nomads like the Roxolanians were long dead, but Sarmatian Separatist keep living on and on.

Um. The nomadic faction's that bum rush at the beginning of the game and get killed off seem to be the least interesting people so far (just copy and pasted hunnic tier 1 units).

Are those people supposed to be more interesting? Besides if you want sarmations, play the alans. They're awesome!

I don't understand why there has to be like 3+ faction's for each "culture". Just make 1 good one and play it

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

The only mentioned faction that should probably become playable are the Iazyges..the Budini did not exist during the game's time frame...they were probably a 5th century BC Proto-Slavic people. The only source for them are Herodotos. The Roxolani also probably no longer existed during Attila's time frame. Unless I am mistaken the last time they were mentioned was the 3rd century AD.

If there's a future Cultural Pack down the pipeline then it should be the Caucasian factions to add a bit of spice between the steppes and Sassanids. Armenia is the last major faction remaining that should be added to this game.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

I disagree with this post. We already have the Tanukhids, White Huns, Huns, and Alans, who have to travel from east of the Euxeines to Narbonensis, which is quite a journey. There's nothing stopping a player from using a migration play-style with any of the great migrators. Magyars aren't even active in AoC. Some of this is personal preference as there's nothing more boring for me than sitting on a ton of gold and not being able to ask the WRE for half of their territory as a dowry as the Huns.
    Last edited by Lugotorix; February 09, 2016 at 05:50 PM.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Quote Originally Posted by The Germans are coming View Post
    But what about the Nomads???

Wasnt the new Nomad mechanic the thing with which you advertised the game? The thing you claimed would make it differ from previous TW games? It indeed makes it differ alot, but with so few nomadic faction???
    YOu referring to the Horde mechanic or am I missing something here?

If so, I don't think that's a big a problem as you make it: as someone else mentioned, you technically can go Horde with nearly all factions in Atilla: TW

If by "Nomadic factions" you're refering to some sort of particular type of faction that's not found in ATW well that depends on what you mean. Horde mode is pretty much CA's implementation of nomadic factions in Total War, ever since Barbarian Invasion, and I don't see CA making up some fundamentally new faction playstyle mechanic distinct from how Huns/ Alans/ etc. work.

As for CA advertising nomadic factions, well Horde Mode. It is after all, just advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by The Germans are coming View Post
    The only nomadic faction we had for a year were the Huns, until you added the white Huns, which may have a unique starting position but are very similar to the Huns. And since the migrator factions like the Visigoths ultimately have the goal of settling and building a new kingdom, they cant really be considered to be Nomads.

What about giving us some nomadic factions?
    Ah I think I know what you mean: you want a new playstyle that doesn't rely on building settlements?

Well besides Horde Mode, that demands a revamp of how TW works in principle, which was always "take provinces make money build armies kill other people to take more provinces to make more money blah blah". Nomadic factions would be basically the same thing, but somehow not involve taking provinces yet somehow also making money and able to build more armies, etc. Again I don't see CA putting any effort into that for an existing game. Hell I don't think they'll pit that effort into a new game. That they settled for Horde mode is enough evidence.

What else would you want? Horde mode and regular mode are good and dandy, but I don't see what else you could possibly have...

I agree about the Caucasians, they'd be an interesting addition, but what about expanding the map and throwing in all of China and India and southeast Asia?

Haha just kidding. There should be an entirely separat game for asia

If a nomadic DLC is going to be planned, then I will have my arms wide open for this. The rosters for the Steppe factions are too universalized and generalized into a single entity, and giving them the needed diversity would make the campaign more interesting and unpredictable. Horde mechanic is a new feature that CA introduced in this game, and I hope they expand on this new feature.

I pretty much agree with this suggestion. I think there is some potential for interesting horde/migrating playstyle in the east. I thought it was a bit of a bummer that the White Huns cannot settle, at least from a gameplay perspective. It's just pretty dull to roll over the map from the east. As the ("black") Huns, you at least have the "epic" feeling of taking on Western Rome and the Barbarian kingdoms in central Europe.

So I think having migrators/hordes with settling potential could have been / would be interesting in the east. I once started a campaign with the Alans where I moved east into Transoxiana and settled there which was quite a cool thing. It's just unfortunate that the victory conditions are so rigid in vanilla Attila that the player is somewhat forced to migrate into specific directions.

Lugotorix said:
    I disagree with this post. We already have the Tanukhids, White Huns, Huns, and Alans, who have to travel from east of the Euxeines to Narbonensis, which is quite a journey. There's nothing stopping a player from using a migration play-style with any of the great migrators.
    That's exactly the point: The player is forced to travel westwards with these factions and leaves the east a rather plain field (I think). I could think of some semi-historical examples of migratory/horde factions in the east that are being pushed west by the arrival of the Hephtalites (e.g. some remnants of the Kushan). Or just make some eastern client states of the Sassanids playable and migratory - why not.
    Chronicles of Cimmeria - A Kimmerios Bosporos AAR (EB2)
    The Age of Peace - A TW: Warhammer Empire AAR
    Blood Red Eagle - The Sons of Lodbrok Invasion of Northumbrialand [complete]
    Machines - A Sci-Fi Short Story [complete]

All three factions from new, Slavic Nations Culture Pack were nomadic in 4th to 7th centuries, they have never been sedentary people with cities or towns. In Attila TW main campaign you have too much nomadic/migrating factions. CA divided them into migration and nomadic factions just to make game more diverse, but in reality both, migrating and nomadic factions are NOMADIC they all migrated from one to another land to find better place of living. Some of them formed sedentary kingdoms later.

The Anteans, the Sclavenians, and the Venedians are all NOMADIC.

Therefore, what we really need at this moment for the main Attila TW campaign is the sedentary kingdoms like Kartli and Armenia or other kingdoms of Caucasia, or even Afrigids, they were also very important in 4th to 5th cc.
    Through your intercession I hope to see the light of Thy son and the light of everlasting ages !

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

The thread title needs at least four more exclamation marks....

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by JERUSALEM View Post
    All three factions from new, Slavic Nations Culture Pack were nomadic in 4th to 7th centuries, they have never been sedentary people with cities or towns. In Attila TW main campaign you have too much nomadic/migrating factions. CA divided them into migration and nomadic factions just to make game more diverse, but in reality both, migrating and nomadic factions are NOMADIC they all migrated from one to another land to find better place of living. Some of them formed sedentary kingdoms later.

The Anteans, the Sclavenians, and the Venedians are all NOMADIC.

Therefore, what we really need at this moment for the main Attila TW campaign is the sedentary kingdoms like Kartli and Armenia or other kingdoms of Caucasia, or even Afrigids, they were also very important in 4th to 5th cc.
    Well, you could perhaps claim that the Eastern Germanic and Slavic tribes were sort of "semi-nomadic", but they weren't Nomads in the same sense as the steppe cultures. The economy of the Germanic and Slavic tribes was agriculture-based, although as far as I know they practiced a form of slash-and-burn farming, which meant they had a bit more mobile lifestyle than cultures that practiced more settled agriculture.

On the subject at hand, I disagree about the Roxolanians, Iazyges and the Magyars. None of these factions were even around in reality. Iazyges and the Roxolani were both Sarmatian tribes that were assimilated into the Alans, and during Attila's era would either have been part of the Alan Confederation, or nonexistent. Although I guess the Alans could be split into the Carpathian Alans (who migrated from the Carpathian basin as part of the Crossing of the Rhine) and the Pontic Alans (who were vassals of the Huns). The Magyars showed up in Europe during the 9th century, during Attila's timeframe the Magyar Confederation was not yet formed (according to wikipedia, the confederation was founded in 830).

Therefore there is absolutely no reason to make a DLC about factions that didn't even exist in real life! As for the Sabirs, they would essentially just be another Hunnic tribe, so there's not much point in making them playable.
    Last edited by Charerg; February 10, 2016 at 09:32 AM.